Waves L2 Ultramaximizer?

Discuss VST stuff here!
mbfrancis

05 Dec 2017

What do you guys think of this plugin? I know it's old and was industry standard for a while, and I still read people saying that it's the sound of a "finished" record, but is it still useful? I used it a (long) while ago and found it really easy to use - I have the Ozone Maximizer RE ... do I even need it? I'm not doing crazy mastering, I just want my mixes to sound loud enough and broadly "finished." Let me know what you think....thanks!
Producer, songwriter, multi-instrumentalist. I make indie pop as Port Streets, 90s/shoegaze as Swooner, and Electro as Yours Mine.

groggy1

05 Dec 2017

mbfrancis wrote:
05 Dec 2017
What do you guys think of this plugin? I know it's old and was industry standard for a while, and I still read people saying that it's the sound of a "finished" record, but is it still useful? I used it a (long) while ago and found it really easy to use - I have the Ozone Maximizer RE ... do I even need it? I'm not doing crazy mastering, I just want my mixes to sound loud enough and broadly "finished." Let me know what you think....thanks!
It's my favorite Waves plugin. It's very low latency, and it just sounds good to my ears. I never liked L3. And I even tried fabfilter Limiter, and didn't love it either.

So for me, it's the kind of plugin I can just throw on a track, and get some "loudness" in 2 clicks that sounds good to my ears.

jayhosking

05 Dec 2017

I don't know that you'd need it if you have the Ozone maximizer. There are subtle differences but I think Ozone gives you a little more flexibility overall. But if you're a real nerd about loudness, maybe it's the right call?
Last edited by jayhosking on 05 Dec 2017, edited 1 time in total.

aeox
Competition Winner

05 Dec 2017

if you have ozone maximizer you 100% don't need L2

mbfrancis

06 Dec 2017

aeox wrote:
05 Dec 2017
That's what I was hoping...I just need more time with it. I don't need crazy loudness, just basic pro level. Thanks all.
Producer, songwriter, multi-instrumentalist. I make indie pop as Port Streets, 90s/shoegaze as Swooner, and Electro as Yours Mine.

QVprod

06 Dec 2017

Best transparent sounding limiter I've ever used. But are your other limiters unsatisfactory? If not, then you have what you need.

michael.jaye

10 Dec 2017

mbfrancis wrote:
06 Dec 2017
aeox wrote:
05 Dec 2017
That's what I was hoping...I just need more time with it. I don't need crazy loudness, just basic pro level. Thanks all.
I own Ozone Maximizer & I have better results with L2.

• Information