Vocalign VST

Discuss VST stuff here!
Lov2sing

29 Nov 2017

I was checking out this VST called Vocalign which does as it claims to align vocals. Is there anything in Reason that does the same being this program only comes in VST3 format or Logic’s AU format?
We make music for a reason

Psuper

29 Nov 2017

Vocalign deals almost exclusively with matching timing. I check out most vocal-related products however never felt the need for something like it. I'd assume since that's its primary goal it likely does it well.

Nothing in Reason like it, all semi-manual.
Reason needs to DAW.viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7504985

esselfortium

29 Nov 2017

Reason's slice edit and pitch edit views both allow you to shift around vocal timing pretty seamlessly. You can also quantize all or selected parts to the grid, like you can with midi notes. If Vocalign is mostly automated, then this would probably take more work than that, but if spending a bunch to pick up Vocalign isn't feasible right now I imagine you should be able to reach the same end result with Reason's built-in editing modes.
Sarah Mancuso
My music: Future Human

selig
RE Developer

29 Nov 2017

Lov2sing wrote:
29 Nov 2017
I was checking out this VST called Vocalign which does as it claims to align vocals. Is there anything in Reason that does the same being this program only comes in VST3 format or Logic’s AU format?
There is nothing in Reason that does what VocAlign can do, and little need for it unless you replace dialog for a living (!). For it to work you need to load audio into it (it's not a real time process), and I'm not even sure this aspect can work in Reason (mainly because the audio needs to remain synced to the time line after loaded in VocAlign).

VocAlign does work incredibly well - my only experience with it was around the turn of the century (love using that phrase!) in lining up a harmony part to a lead part for a country husband/wife duet (you can probably narrow it down to a few possibilities if you knew that world then), where the harmony singer had no experience lining themselves up with the lead singer. So it made short work of the task, but that was such a rare case I never used it but a few other times beyond that, mostly just to see how it would work for lining up vocal doubles (sometimes TOO perfect for that task!), again for someone who was not proficient with that task. Could have done both by hand, and the only advantage to using VocAlign was time.

For the most part I'm EXTREMELY happy using Reason's audio alignment feature to do things like stretch a harmony out to better match the lead, and to move timing around for feel and alignment when necessary. But I only do this on specific lines, and so it's quite quick to achieve in Reason IMO. For how rarely you'd use such an approach on an entire track it's probably not worth the $$$ even if it DID work in Reason, and better to do this outside of Reason or get someone else who's proficient to do it for you if it's absolutely necessary.
Selig Audio, LLC

Lov2sing

29 Nov 2017

Thanks everyone. I have a singer that can’t harmonizes so I was looking for a way to help them stack their vocals. It sometimes hard to teach someone to sing with themselves.
We make music for a reason

• Information