Audio Modeling's SWAM engine instruments

Discuss VST stuff here!
WongoTheSane

27 Nov 2017

TheGodOfRainbows wrote:
27 Nov 2017
Here's the test song I made yesterday:
Impressive. I only have the violin and am still fiddling to find the right controller/modulation combination. :)

TheGodOfRainbows

27 Nov 2017

WongoTheSane wrote:
27 Nov 2017
Impressive. I only have the violin and am still fiddling to find the right controller/modulation combination. :)
Thanks!
Fiddling lol :puf_smile:

WongoTheSane

27 Nov 2017

TheGodOfRainbows wrote:
27 Nov 2017
WongoTheSane wrote:
27 Nov 2017
Thanks!
Fiddling lol :puf_smile:
Damn, I didn't even realize :lol:

joeyluck

27 Nov 2017

TheGodOfRainbows wrote:
27 Nov 2017
joeyluck wrote:
26 Nov 2017
I had a difficult time getting results from my basic MIDI keyboard setup that were as good as with the Seaboard Block which makes it much easier for me. Although, when having the "Bow Gesture" in "bowing" mode, I find it more satisfying using a mod wheel on my regular keyboards or an expression pedal vs. the aftertouch on the Seaboard. But fun on anything really when performing your own bows/tremolos. The aftertouch on the Seaboard is really great when in "Expression" mode for the bow gesture.
That Seaboard looks like a lot of fun! The ability to use real vibrato on the surface is what I want. I'm always trying to use vibrato on my keyboard keys. I'm using a Graphite 49 with aftertouch. I don't have the hang of these instruments yet because I'm not used to such dynamic expressiveness, and using wheels, sliders & keys to play a violin is a strange experience. Here's the test song I made yesterday:

This is fantastic! :thumbs_up: Thanks for sharing it :)

What are you using to control with the aftertouch?

stratatonic

27 Nov 2017

TheGodOfRainbows wrote:
27 Nov 2017

Cool. :cool: Make sure you flesh out the stuff after the 1:00 mark!

TheGodOfRainbows

27 Nov 2017

joeyluck wrote:
27 Nov 2017
I'm playing around with different settings, but right now I like it for vibrato.

Also forgot to mention, I used Players Dual Arpeggio to make the basic rhythm, then "Send To Track", and from there tweaked and added some variation to the pattern. I had just the one Dual Arp Player controlling a Combinator of a violin and cello split on the keyboard.

TheGodOfRainbows

27 Nov 2017

stratatonic wrote:
27 Nov 2017
TheGodOfRainbows wrote:
27 Nov 2017
Cool. :cool: Make sure you flesh out the stuff after the 1:00 mark!
Will do, thanks! :)

joeyluck

27 Nov 2017

TheGodOfRainbows wrote:
27 Nov 2017
joeyluck wrote:
27 Nov 2017
I'm playing around with different settings, but right now I like it for vibrato.

Also forgot to mention, I used Players Dual Arpeggio to make the basic rhythm, then "Send To Track", and from there tweaked and added some variation to the pattern. I had just the one Dual Arp Player controlling a Combinator of a violin and cello split on the keyboard.
Great use :thumbs_up:

I'll have to give that a try :)

TheGodOfRainbows

28 Nov 2017

joeyluck wrote:
27 Nov 2017
Here's that Cello & Violin Combinator in case you're curious. Players are fun!!!

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1uW6yn ... w2vhfw4J-Z

WongoTheSane

05 Dec 2017

Here's my take (a 3mn chamber music-type thing):

The SWAM violin starts at 1:45. It's my first try so obviously I made some mistakes, namely the fact that I messed with the options and ended up with a bipolar expression, which is super inconvenient as I was using a keyboard fader to record it (I don't have a continuous pedal). Go below 64 and the volume rises again. So I ended up doing it by hand in the controller lane.

I also struggled to find the best way to do slurs. The velocity thing isn't super reliable (or rather, I'm not completely clear on how it works exactly), so I mixed both the velocity and the pitch bend techniques.

The rest of the instruments are:

- Jiggery Pokery's Combo Electric Harpsichord (heard pretty much throughout)
- Softphonics' Embouchure ReFill (all brass: Tuba, Horns, Trumpets, Flutes and Piccolo)
- StringWerk (all strings except violin)

joeyluck

05 Dec 2017

TheGodOfRainbows wrote:
28 Nov 2017
joeyluck wrote:
27 Nov 2017
Here's that Cello & Violin Combinator in case you're curious. Players are fun!!!

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1uW6yn ... w2vhfw4J-Z
Thanks for the patch :puf_smile:
WongoTheSane wrote:
05 Dec 2017
Here's my take (a 3mn chamber music-type thing):

The SWAM violin starts at 1:45. It's my first try so obviously I made some mistakes, namely the fact that I messed with the options and ended up with a bipolar expression, which is super inconvenient as I was using a keyboard fader to record it (I don't have a continuous pedal). Go below 64 and the volume rises again. So I ended up doing it by hand in the controller lane.

I also struggled to find the best way to do slurs. The velocity thing isn't super reliable (or rather, I'm not completely clear on how it works exactly), so I mixed both the velocity and the pitch bend techniques.

The rest of the instruments are:

- Jiggery Pokery's Combo Electric Harpsichord (heard pretty much throughout)
- Softphonics' Embouchure ReFill (all brass: Tuba, Horns, Trumpets, Flutes and Piccolo)
- StringWerk (all strings except violin)
This sounds great! :thumbs_up:

I'm using a Seaboard, so I'm most often just sliding between notes which is super handy.

For slurs, I believe you can also use a sustain pedal, and when two notes overlap while holding the sustain pedal, it will perform a slur.

As for the behavior you might be encountering, it is supposed to perform a slur when overlapping notes and the second note is of a higher velocity; given that the second note is on the same string. You can try changing the AltFing mode.

WongoTheSane

05 Dec 2017

joeyluck wrote:
05 Dec 2017
I'm using a Seaboard, so I'm most often just sliding between notes which is super handy.

For slurs, I believe you can also use a sustain pedal, and when two notes overlap while holding the sustain pedal, it will perform a slur.

As for the behavior you might be encountering, it is supposed to perform a slur when overlapping notes and the second note is of a higher velocity; given that the second note is on the same string. You can try changing the AltFing mode.
I think I missed the part about the sustain pedal in the manual. It does slur when the notes overlap, but then it's difficult to control the speed of the slur, as velocity is used both to indicate that there is a slur, and how fast it is. In some cases, you can't do a very fast one (again, I've just dabbled with it, I'm pretty sure I miss a few details).

I'll try the AltFinger, but I'll have to read that part again. It's not a simple manual either :D

• Information