Repro-5 beta is out! (U-He Prophet 5 VA)

Discuss VST stuff here!
raymondh

23 Nov 2017

Has anyone yet compared the sound of Repro-5 to Arturia Prophet V ?

EdGrip

28 Nov 2017

Was spending some more quality time with Repro-5 tonight. Having a great time! Decided to explore just the Brass folder.
It's very expressive. You want to savour notes, play it like a piano, or a violin. An instrument. I enjoy that.
It can be very mournful, and cinematic.
Obvs there's other patch folders to explore, but that's where I was at tonight.

Much use of TAL Chorus, as always. Seriously, do get it. It's free, and it's my go-to chorus.

EdGrip

01 Dec 2017

EdGrip

02 Dec 2017

So I thought, for a laugh, I'd load up Repro-5 in Reaper and see how that is.
After a brief period figuring out how to make an instrument track in Reaper, and finding its performance meter, here are the results. (I also added a VintageVerb just because.)

Picture 1 shows the CPU use with no notes playing:

Picture 2 shows the CPU use with me mashing 8 keys on the "In Its Right Place" patch, with full 8-note polyphony and HQ enabled (for reals!) (Multi-core enabled too).

Nothing I could do, no matter which patch or how many voices, caused any upset or crackling from Reaper, or any significant variation from these results.

I understand CPU use is not the same thing as Reason's DSP meter. Needless to say trying to do the same thing in Reason would be an INSTANT "Computer too slow".
I wonder how many Repros I could have going in Reaper at the same time without issue?

miscend

02 Dec 2017

Reaper is more efficient than 99% of the DAWs out there not just Reason.

Heater

03 Dec 2017

miscend wrote:
02 Dec 2017
Reaper is more efficient than 99% of the DAWs out there not just Reason.
I think its fair to say as a mainstream DAW. Reason is one of the worst CPU performance.

EdGrip

08 Dec 2017

I just did a quick and dirty test in Reaper:

I got a Repro 5, on the HS Emo Strings patch, and recorded a 4-voice chord sequence. All the effects were off, but HQ was enabled, and so was MC (multi-core).
I duplicated this instrument track, and then duplicated it again. Playback was fine.
I duplicated a 4th instance, but that made playback crackle. I switched HQ off on the new instance, and playback was fine again.
Adding anything else caused crackles.

So that's 3 HQ instances + 1 not-HQ instance, playing back happily at the same time in Reaper on my laptop. That's very significantly different to Reason.

During these experiments I found Reaper to be an un-intuitive nightmare/sadness in code form. ^_^

CaptainBlack

19 Dec 2017

raymondh wrote:
23 Nov 2017
Has anyone yet compared the sound of Repro-5 to Arturia Prophet V ?

EdGrip

19 Dec 2017

You can demo Repro for free, it's the standard U-He noise every 30 seconds. I don't know about Arturia's demo system.

If ever a synth made me want to do the One Synth EP, Repro-5 is it. I'm loving it so much.

EdGrip

19 Dec 2017

(also, just so's you know, this is no longer beta. It's out.)

CaptainBlack

20 Dec 2017

Just don't press that HQ button until you're bouncing down.

I thought the way Diva did it was better, with four levels of audio quality so you could get on with building a track without SOS messages from the CPU.

EdGrip

20 Dec 2017

People have been asking on the KVR threads why there isn't a "draft" or "eco" mode - Urs said (paraphrasing) that it impacted the sound and behaviour too much. The manual says to avoid HQ mode in general use.
Make of all that what you will.

elMisse

10 Jun 2018

Waking up an old thread!

Repro5 sure has some patches that killed my laptops i7 7700HQ instantly in Reason. Funny thing, opened reason, opened repro5, played one open chord, and computer was too slow to continue :D

Sounded absolutely amazing anyway. (not a nice thing to say about someones death, I know)

Sorry I have not been following the discussions about the VST performance issues... Is this too only a problem in Reason? Not in Ableton or Logic f.ex?

tibah

10 Jun 2018

Depends what you compare to. Reaper is the best performing DAW due to the way they use buffering.

Compared to the majority of DAWs, Reason performs the worst, but is also the newest to even add VST support + PDC, which had to incorporate the existing framework of the rack + CV. Reason also is the only DAW (I think) to always reserve one core only for graphics / UI, which leaves users with quad core CPUs only with 3 left to be actually used for DSP.

PH seems to be working on a performance upgrade which should be available anytime this year.

steff3

10 Jun 2018

elMisse wrote:
10 Jun 2018
Waking up an old thread!

Repro5 sure has some patches that killed my laptops i7 7700HQ instantly in Reason. Funny thing, opened reason, opened repro5, played one open chord, and computer was too slow to continue :D

Sounded absolutely amazing anyway. (not a nice thing to say about someones death, I know)

Sorry I have not been following the discussions about the VST performance issues... Is this too only a problem in Reason? Not in Ableton or Logic f.ex?
Repro 5 brings logic pro X on a new macbook pro to its knees ...

u-he analog synth are great .... but demand for future cpu generations/technology IMHO ....

jimmyklane

10 Jun 2018

I can state categorically that Repro 1 sounds exactly like a Pro One. It’s uncanny. I own both....if I wasn’t attached (and had one of the new 28 core cpus!) I’d happily sell my Pro One.

Don’t own a Prophet 5, but I’m making the assumption that Repro 5 is just as close.
DAW: Reason 12

SAMPLERS: Akai MPC 2000, E-mu SP1200, E-Mu e5000Ultra, Ensoniq EPS 16+, Akai S950, Maschine

SYNTHS: Mostly classic Polysynths and more modern Monosynths. All are mostly food for my samplers!

www.soundcloud.com/jimmyklane

hurricane
Competition Winner

11 Jun 2018

steff3 wrote:
10 Jun 2018

u-he analog synth are great .... but demand for future cpu generations/technology IMHO ....
I stayed away from Diva and Repro because I didn't think my 2012 Mac mini could handle them. I didn't even demo them. How foolish of me because it turns out they work great and I was missing out on my (now) two favorite synths. Sucks that I can only use them in Logic & Pro Tools though, and not in Reason.
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

mreese80

11 Jun 2018

hurricane wrote:
11 Jun 2018
steff3 wrote:
10 Jun 2018

I stayed away from Diva and Repro because I didn't think my 2012 Mac mini could handle them. I didn't even demo them. How foolish of me because it turns out they work great and I was missing out on my (now) two favorite synths. Sucks that I can only use them in Logic & Pro Tools though, and not in Reason.
Why can't you use them in Reason? I have them both and i've been using them forever
Reason 10.4 :refill: :re: :ignition: | :recycle: 2.2.4 | Ableton Live Suite 10.1| MPC Software 1.9.6 | Photoshop CC 2019 | Novation Impulse 49 | Nektar Impact LX 49

hurricane
Competition Winner

11 Jun 2018

It's not worth it to me to have to consciously think about managing my CPU usage while making music - therefore, I'd rather not use Diva and Repro in Reason at this moment. I'd love to, but I don't use Satin in Reason either. Sucks for me specifically because I only use Reason to make my synthwave stuff, which Diva and Repro are perfect for.
Last edited by hurricane on 11 Jun 2018, edited 1 time in total.
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

mreese80

11 Jun 2018

hurricane wrote:
11 Jun 2018
It's not worth it to me to have to consciously think about managing my CPU usage while making music - therefore, I'd rather not use Diva and Repro in Reason at this moment. I'd love to, but I don't use Satin in Reason either. Sucks for me specifically because I only use Reason to make my synthwave stuff, which Diva and Retro are perfect for.
Yea you're right about that man. Talking bout cpu hogs. I just bounce to audio. Takes care of that. Powerful Analog plugins bro
Reason 10.4 :refill: :re: :ignition: | :recycle: 2.2.4 | Ableton Live Suite 10.1| MPC Software 1.9.6 | Photoshop CC 2019 | Novation Impulse 49 | Nektar Impact LX 49

Creativemind

11 Jun 2018

I've demo'd Repro-5 and it's very nice indeed.
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

EdGrip

14 Aug 2018

Hello, soft synth luvvers!

Dan Worrall has just put out a 5-part tutorial video series on Repro 5. It's blowing my mind a bit - lots to get my head around in what I thought was a nice simple "analogue" synth. But there are some very interesting sounds among the sound-design deep-diving here!
Much of what's discussed is applicable to other synths.

raymondh

16 Aug 2018

EdGrip wrote:
14 Aug 2018
Hello, soft synth luvvers!

Dan Worrall has just put out a 5-part tutorial video series on Repro 5. It's blowing my mind a bit - lots to get my head around in what I thought was a nice simple "analogue" synth. But there are some very interesting sounds among the sound-design deep-diving here!
Much of what's discussed is applicable to other synths.

Thanks for letting us know. This is a great tutorial set!

• Information