Plugin Review: Little Plate by Soundtoys

Discuss VST stuff here!
ReasonTalk

17 Nov 2017

While Soundtoys have been putting out amazing effects plugins for quite a while now, one notable absence from their lineup has been reverb. That omission has been shored up with the release of Little Plate, the latest addition to the Soundtoys lineup and their "Little" plugin series. Best of all: it's free until Nov 25th!

Check out this review by Mike McKew!

Read the article here!

TheGodOfRainbows

20 Nov 2017

No comments yet!? Nice review, and I love free stuff! Aren't there more people excited about nice free things!? We have such abundance, I perhaps people are fatigued with all the choices available. But I love all the variety. Thanks for pointing out this little gem.

Loque

20 Nov 2017

TheGodOfRainbows wrote:
20 Nov 2017
No comments yet!? Nice review, and I love free stuff! Aren't there more people excited about nice free things!? We have such abundance, I perhaps people are fatigued with all the choices available. But I love all the variety. Thanks for pointing out this little gem.
There were already 2 threads about this free thing. So its a bit late.
Reason12, Win10

TheGodOfRainbows

20 Nov 2017

Loque wrote:
20 Nov 2017
TheGodOfRainbows wrote:
20 Nov 2017
Oh :o Well, thanks anyway though!

EdGrip

20 Nov 2017

So that's THREE different send reverbs in my default template now. This, DR-1 and Valhalla VintageVerb. I should put an RV7000 with a nice spring impulse on it too.

joeyluck

20 Nov 2017

Loque wrote:
20 Nov 2017
TheGodOfRainbows wrote:
20 Nov 2017
Well the first thread about the news was made by Mike, and this is actually a review of the plugin ;) also by Mike.

MikeMcKew

22 Nov 2017

This is the last day to get this free, so jump on it if you haven't!

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

qn5

23 Nov 2017

Heads up... If you downloaded Little Plate for Free, they're allowing you to upgrade to the full Soundtoys 5 package for $209 for the Black Friday sales.
QN5 MUSIC
qn5.com

Loque

23 Nov 2017

qn5 wrote:
23 Nov 2017
Heads up... If you downloaded Little Plate for Free, they're allowing you to upgrade to the full Soundtoys 5 package for $209 for the Black Friday sales.
Nice hint and its a tempting offer for 10 bugs each plugin, but i am not sure if i really need this. Wish they had some videos online to demonstrate the plugins and actually i am not that much impressed by Little Plate.

If they were RE i would buy them ASAP. They would fit quite good in the rack.
Reason12, Win10

QVprod

23 Nov 2017

Loque wrote:
23 Nov 2017
Wish they had some videos online to demonstrate the plugins

I
They have a youtube channel where they demonstrate all their plugins. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCe84vl ... sH_TIKvmwg

chk071

23 Nov 2017

Loque wrote:
23 Nov 2017
actually i am not that much impressed by Little Plate.
How come? In my opinion, it sounds absolutely superb, and is well among the best sounding plate reverbs out there. Wished it had a pre-delay parameter though.
:reason: :rebirth:

Loque

23 Nov 2017

chk071 wrote:
23 Nov 2017
...Wished it had a pre-delay parameter though.
Yep, thats one point. The delay time could be shorter too. Dont get me wrong, it sounds good, but i like it a bit more tweakable.
Reason12, Win10

Libraquaricorn

23 Nov 2017

I snatched this at the very last minute and I must say I think it's the BEST REVERB I HAVE EVER HEARD!

So Black Friday is over for me, because I just got the Soundtoys Bundle for $209.

Now, that's what I call marketing!

bsp

23 Nov 2017

Loque wrote:
23 Nov 2017
qn5 wrote:
23 Nov 2017
Nice hint and its a tempting offer for 10 bugs each plugin, but i am not sure if i really need this. Wish they had some videos online to demonstrate the plugins and actually i am not that much impressed by Little Plate.

re: the discounted soundtoys5 bundle: I bought it b/c I was mainly after PrimalTap and EchoBoy (haven't checked out the other plugins, yet).

One thing I can tell you about these two is that they sound absolutely fabulous.

It's possible to set the delay time(s) to 0ms and use them for colorization only.
Works like a charm when used as insert effects for "The Echo" (my favourite delay).
Very low CPU usage, too.

The "Little*" devices all are heavily simplified. Rest assured that the full-featured plugins (e.g. PrimalTap vs LittlePrimapTap) offer a myriad of customization options (most of them via slide-out panels).

but yeah, limited options aside, LittlePlate sounds very good. I hope they'll add a full-featured "Plate" plugin in a future (bundle) update.

Libraquaricorn

23 Nov 2017

bsp wrote:
23 Nov 2017
Loque wrote:
23 Nov 2017

re: the discounted soundtoys5 bundle: I bought it b/c I was mainly after PrimalTap and EchoBoy (haven't checked out the other plugins, yet).

One thing I can tell you about these two is that they sound absolutely fabulous.

It's possible to set the delay time(s) to 0ms and use them for colorization only.
Works like a charm when used as insert effects for "The Echo" (my favourite delay).
Very low CPU usage, too.

The "Little*" devices all are heavily simplified. Rest assured that the full-featured plugins (e.g. PrimalTap vs LittlePrimapTap) offer a myriad of customization options (most of them via slide-out panels).

but yeah, limited options aside, LittlePlate sounds very good. I hope they'll add a full-featured "Plate" plugin in a future (bundle) update.
I agree with all bsp just said. This is surprisingly CPU friendly.
Even as we speak I'm goofing around with the Devil-Loc Deluxe compressor and....phew...I don't have cravings for the Vulf Compressor any more (currently selling for $149 at Goodhertz). I love the interfaces of these devices as well. I can even access the user manual directly from a device, if I'm online that is...

bsp

23 Nov 2017

I recently read about Allihoopa's new licensing terms (in a nutshell: your uploads will not automatically become public domain anymore), and was curious whether they added a "Creative Commons" option.
Well, a sorry excuse to upload sth new and no, they didn't add a CC option (different topic anyway).

For those who haven't tried the SoundToys plugins themselves, here's a noodle with Reason's Europa synth, featuring a pretty basic patch that's being processed by the SoundToys PrimalTap+Echoboy plugins.

For some weird reason, I've always found it a bit hard to find demos for synths and audio plugins, so bare with me hitting some random notes and changing some synth params with my mouse hand ;)

Anyways, here's the (ambient-ish) noodle:
(just added some minor lo+hi eq roll off)

Well, this does not really show off all the things you can do with e.g. PrimalTap (which is also super nice for glitched out stuff, thanks to the delay buffer "freeze" button!).

However, I hope you can hear how these plugins add quite some "dimension" to a pretty basic synth patch.

By the way: PrimalTap is probably the closest thing to an emulation of a Publison Dhm 89 B2. Check out this vid for the real thing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6UUJyLtICI

(sry for some slightly off topic stuff, I'm just stoked by how good these effects sound, and a sale like this is not happening very often. these two plugins alone usually cost a lot more than the whole bundle right now)

Marco Raaphorst

23 Nov 2017

it sounds fantastic.

chk071

24 Nov 2017

Loque wrote:
23 Nov 2017
chk071 wrote:
23 Nov 2017
...Wished it had a pre-delay parameter though.
Yep, thats one point. The delay time could be shorter too. Dont get me wrong, it sounds good, but i like it a bit more tweakable.
Alright, that's fair enough. Actually, for $99 regular price, it seems a tad too much for what you get.
:reason: :rebirth:

RandyEspoda

11 Dec 2017

chk071 wrote:
24 Nov 2017
Loque wrote:
23 Nov 2017

Alright, that's fair enough. Actually, for $99 regular price, it seems a tad too much for what you get.
As is the case with the majority of VST plugins (imvho !)
I restrict myself to ONLY buy VST's that are on sale.
Full prices would simply ruin me, and eventually get me a divorse.

EggplantTown

10 Dec 2018

Videos not available anymore.

• Information