NI SESSION GUITARIST –STRUMMED ACOUSTIC vs Propellerhead A-LIST ACOUSTIC GUITAR

Discuss VST stuff here!
stratatonic

14 Nov 2017

Native Instruments has SESSION GUITARIST – STRUMMED ACOUSTIC on for 49 dollars until Thanksgiving.

Props may discount the A-list Acoustic around Black Friday.

I can't find a demo of NI's Session Guitarist anywhere. Is there one? It looks like they sampled one Martin guitar. 8gb worth.

Any one have any thoughts on any of these offerings? Likes. Dislikes. Workflow. Sound quality. Etc.

esselfortium

14 Nov 2017

If you're looking for a good acoustic guitar, look for discounts on AcousticSamples' or Orange Tree Samples' guitar libraries. I can personally vouch for both of their libraries, they're beyond amazing and handle strumming and picking/fingering beautifully.

A-List Acoustic served me well for a while, but I'm doubtful that I'll be using it again in the future now that I own AcousticSamples' Sunbird and GD-6 acoustics, which are way more versatile and can be used very prominently in a mix.
Sarah Mancuso
My music: Future Human

stratatonic

20 Nov 2017

esselfortium wrote:
14 Nov 2017
If you're looking for a good acoustic guitar, look for discounts on AcousticSamples' or Orange Tree Samples' guitar libraries.
The Sunbird sounds pretty good as does the OTSamples and MusicLab's RealGuitar, though I'm trying to keep it under 50 dollars. Not sure if these guys would discount that deep!

Native Instruments have both Strummed Acoustic Guitarists for 49.50 right now.
https://www.native-instruments.com/en/p ... -acoustic/
https://www.native-instruments.com/en/p ... coustic-2/
Still trying to figure the difference between these two - though I think they are 8gB downloads.

The Indiginus StrumMaker IV looks interesting @ 46 dollars. 1.1 GB
http://www.indiginus.com/StrumMaker4.html

esselfortium

20 Nov 2017

stratatonic wrote:
20 Nov 2017
esselfortium wrote:
14 Nov 2017
If you're looking for a good acoustic guitar, look for discounts on AcousticSamples' or Orange Tree Samples' guitar libraries.
The Sunbird sounds pretty good as does the OTSamples and MusicLab's RealGuitar, though I'm trying to keep it under 50 dollars. Not sure if these guys would discount that deep!
They do have sales now and then, though I'm not sure how often. Several weeks ago, AcousticSamples did a bundle deal through VSTBuzz.com and I was able to pick up the Sunbird, GD-6, and Telematic together for something like $90 total.
Sarah Mancuso

stratatonic

20 Nov 2017

ok...that seems sorta deeply discounted...how do you like the strum features and pattern selections of their stuff?

esselfortium

20 Nov 2017

The strumming engine is really impressive! It sounds very convincing to me, it's fun to play with, and it seems pretty versatile. I was expecting to feel iffy about virtual strumming but it really nails the sound, and unlike with the A-List's pre-recorded strums, this lets you customize chord voicings (among other things) in any way you like. I haven't used the premade patterns a lot so far, but they sound good.
Sarah Mancuso

stratatonic

22 Nov 2017

esselfortium wrote:
20 Nov 2017
The strumming engine is really impressive! It sounds very convincing to me, unlike with the A-List's pre-recorded strums, this lets you customize chord voicings (among other things) in any way you like.

I'm leaning towards the NI Guitar 2 offering- it has 160 strum patterns with ability to change them up somewhay with offsets and changing pattern length.

The StrumMaster IV - while looking pretty cool, only has 12 patterns. I'd like way more premade strums just for song writing purposes.

I demoed the A-list a long time ago and unfortunately, a lot of stuff happened in my life at the time and I really didn't get a chance to do anything with the demo.

Can you customize the stock A-list strum patterns in any way?

esselfortium

22 Nov 2017

stratatonic wrote:
22 Nov 2017
esselfortium wrote:
20 Nov 2017
The strumming engine is really impressive! It sounds very convincing to me, unlike with the A-List's pre-recorded strums, this lets you customize chord voicings (among other things) in any way you like.

I'm leaning towards the NI Guitar 2 offering- it has 160 strum patterns with ability to change them up somewhay with offsets and changing pattern length.

The StrumMaster IV - while looking pretty cool, only has 12 patterns. I'd like way more premade strums just for song writing purposes.

I demoed the A-list a long time ago and unfortunately, a lot of stuff happened in my life at the time and I really didn't get a chance to do anything with the demo.

Can you customize the stock A-list strum patterns in any way?
You can trigger a pattern's individual slices manually using a matrix or other CV input. There's no way to do it directly from the main sequencer, though, AFAIK. Personally I never even attempted that method and just used a lot of pattern-change keyswitches to get something like what I wanted.

Have you already trialed all of the A-List guitars? I think they all work similarly, possibly with the exception of the fingerpicked nylon one which seems somewhat more advanced.
Sarah Mancuso

hurricane
Competition Winner

22 Nov 2017

Being an owner of all the Prop guitar instruments, and both NI guitars, get the NI Guitar. Don't even bother fucking with CV or the matrix for something like this.
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

• Information