Why do we have to manually take a screenshot of new VSTs?

Discuss VST stuff here!
mbfrancis

02 Nov 2017

Sorry, this is baffling...why can't this be done automatically. Seems like basic stuff...

[I'm on 9.5...I assume you still do this in 10.]
Producer, songwriter, multi-instrumentalist. I make indie pop as Port Streets, 90s/shoegaze as Swooner, and Electro as Yours Mine.

Exowildebeest

02 Nov 2017

mbfrancis wrote:
02 Nov 2017
Sorry, this is baffling...why can't this be done automatically. Seems like basic stuff...

Too complex.

To take a screenshot, the VST must first be initiated. Then there's the problem that some VST's have empty/blank document GUI's when opening, or even an "opening credits" window. Your hypothetical auto-screenshot algorithm would have to figure that out.

In the end, it's much easier to let the user do it at their convenience.

To be honest, I don't even do it. I haven't screenshot a VST since the 9.5 beta. Since the screenshot doesn't reflect what the VST is actually doing it's just visual fluff.

QVprod

02 Nov 2017

Probably more complex than it seems. Studio One process is manual as well andI don't think any other DAW has this as of yet.

dustiraw

02 Nov 2017

Yes, FL attempts but always captures a blank screen lol. I actually prefer us being able to decide what you what the image can be. But yeah it would slow down the startup slightly I would believe...
Dusti Miraglia
Sound D-Sine Music
https://LearnSoundDSine.com
Dusti@LearnSoundDsine.com
Check out the blog I run over at https://unison.audio/blog/ for extensive In-depth production related lessons and tutorials!

miscend

02 Nov 2017

That wouldn’t account for user skins etc. Some people don’t use the default skin. And also taking a good thumbnail of a synth is an art, you want to take a shot that is both photogenic and representative of the plugin in action.

EnochLight

03 Nov 2017

Exowildebeest wrote:
02 Nov 2017
To be honest, I don't even do it. I haven't screenshot a VST since the 9.5 beta. Since the screenshot doesn't reflect what the VST is actually doing it's just visual fluff.
Where's the fun in that? :D
miscend wrote:
02 Nov 2017
That wouldn’t account for user skins etc. Some people don’t use the default skin. And also taking a good thumbnail of a synth is an art, you want to take a shot that is both photogenic and representative of the plugin in action.
AGREED! Here's some of mine...

:lol: :lol: :lol:

thumbnail_fun.JPG
thumbnail_fun.JPG (230.5 KiB) Viewed 2488 times
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

miscend

03 Nov 2017

EnochLight wrote:
03 Nov 2017
Exowildebeest wrote:
02 Nov 2017
Where's the fun in that? :D
miscend wrote:
02 Nov 2017
AGREED! Here's some of mine...

:lol: :lol: :lol:

thumbnail_fun.JPG
Beautiful.

fieldframe
RE Developer

03 Nov 2017

dustiraw wrote:
02 Nov 2017
Yes, FL attempts but always captures a blank screen lol. I actually prefer us being able to decide what you what the image can be. But yeah it would slow down the startup slightly I would believe...
Ha, I guess FL proves it's a harder problem than it looks. That said, I have an idea I wonder if Propellerhead (or Image Line) has tried:

Instead of trying to detect when the VST has loaded, or trying to predict how long it will take to load, why not just take a screenshot the first time the user clicks on anything in the VST? That has to be a fairly good indicator; the user generally won't click unless there's something to click on.

Of course, even that could fail (the user might accidentally click while loading; the first click might bring up a patch browser that messes up the screenshot), so you'd still need the manual option (and I'd still want it just to be able to choose a view I like better). Still, having to replace the screenshot 50% of the time is better than having to take one 100% of the time.

And of course, with all of this said... I don't add new VSTs that often. This is such a minor inconvenience I almost regret writing three paragraphs about it. :lol:

esselfortium

03 Nov 2017

What I'd like even better is to be able to save different screenshots for different instances of the same VST in the rack. It would make things a lot less confusing when using a bunch of instruments via Kontakt or UVI Workstation, if I could have each of them appear as the correct instrument in the rack. Even more ideally these could be created automagically when closing the VST window, so you wouldn't have to remember to update it.
Last edited by esselfortium on 03 Nov 2017, edited 1 time in total.
Sarah Mancuso
My music: Future Human

Ostermilk

03 Nov 2017

mbfrancis wrote:
02 Nov 2017

I don't want a cache full of .png images on my OS drive just to provide a pictorial reference in the browser, which also takes up space in the UI, of something I can identify easily by name. Being able to have devices in favourites lists now makes things even easier to locate and is a far more useful option than to be able to take a devices picture..

Studio One uses the exact same method of providing an option to create a snap shot if you want one too and I don't use the feature on either host.

I suppose an option to take auto-snapshots could easily be added for those that want a thumbnail collection, but I'm certainly happier to live without it than I would be if it was imposed on me as default behaviour.

EnochLight

03 Nov 2017

I have absolutely no issues with how Reason handles VST thumbnail screen-shots. I wouldn't want it changed at all. I like being able to customize my own, and I like being able to manually "take a picture" at any given time. I can do both in its current state, and it couldn't be easier.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

joeyluck

03 Nov 2017

fieldframe wrote:
03 Nov 2017
dustiraw wrote:
02 Nov 2017
Ha, I guess FL proves it's a harder problem than it looks. That said, I have an idea I wonder if Propellerhead (or Image Line) has tried:

Instead of trying to detect when the VST has loaded, or trying to predict how long it will take to load, why not just take a screenshot the first time the user clicks on anything in the VST? That has to be a fairly good indicator; the user generally won't click unless there's something to click on.

Of course, even that could fail (the user might accidentally click while loading; the first click might bring up a patch browser that messes up the screenshot), so you'd still need the manual option (and I'd still want it just to be able to choose a view I like better). Still, having to replace the screenshot 50% of the time is better than having to take one 100% of the time.

And of course, with all of this said... I don't add new VSTs that often. This is such a minor inconvenience I almost regret writing three paragraphs about it. :lol:
Well in that case, the single click could instead be performed on the screenshot button :)

Although a live display would be cool. Or a display that updates every so often so there is a greater chance of it representing what is going on in the rack. Temp cached images that are overwritten and deleted when you quit Reason.

But then you are faced with the issue when having several instances of the VST, thus making that feature more appealing for the rack and less so for the Browser.

So I think it works well enough the way it is in terms of the Browser.

razzthemad

03 Nov 2017

Actually, I think it would be simple, Reason just needs to scan the VST's source files for the UI image (probably listed as something like: UI_Main_background, or similar). If it mistakenly chose the wrong image, the user could then manually adjust it.

Just a thought.

miscend

04 Nov 2017

fieldframe wrote:
03 Nov 2017
dustiraw wrote:
02 Nov 2017

Many VSTS open up with a dialogue box that you need to click. Such as a box telling you how many days you got left on your demo period. Worse still many also open up with a blank project which is just an empty page such as UVI and Kontakt.

miscend

04 Nov 2017

razzthemad wrote:
03 Nov 2017
Actually, I think it would be simple, Reason just needs to scan the VST's source files for the UI image (probably listed as something like: UI_Main_background, or similar). If it mistakenly chose the wrong image, the user could then manually adjust it.

Just a thought.
That won’t work if the UI doesn’t use bitmaps.

• Information