Popping and playback issues since 10 upgrade.

Discuss VST stuff here!
bessey72

30 Oct 2017

Hi All,

I'm new here but I couldn't see anyone else post about this. Since my upgrade to Reason 10 I'm having some TERRIBLE popping and stuttering when playing back songs. My sample rate is all the way up and it's still just dreadful. It sounds like the same kind of popping you'd get when turning the simple rate too low though, but worse. CPU usage is around 35% on this song so it's not my CPU maxing out either. However if I open up a browser or something the song will stutter and pop even worse until it's open. Like I said I NEVER had problems like this on 9.5. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling both reason 10 and my Interface software, even went so far as to buy a new water cooler for my CPU to make sure it's not overheating.

Computer Specs:Windows 10, Intel 4770k 4.4, 16 gigs RAM, Everything running off of a Samsung EVO SSD.

It's worth noting on the song that it's the worst on I'm using 4 instances of Bias FX and one instance of EZDrummer 2.

Anyone have any idea whats going on? Having the same issues? I'm going crazy here.

AttenuationHz

30 Oct 2017

bessey72 wrote:
30 Oct 2017
Hi All,

I'm new here but I couldn't see anyone else post about this. Since my upgrade to Reason 10 I'm having some TERRIBLE popping and stuttering when playing back songs. My sample rate is all the way up and it's still just dreadful. It sounds like the same kind of popping you'd get when turning the simple rate too low though, but worse. CPU usage is around 35% on this song so it's not my CPU maxing out either. However if I open up a browser or something the song will stutter and pop even worse until it's open. Like I said I NEVER had problems like this on 9.5. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling both reason 10 and my Interface software, even went so far as to buy a new water cooler for my CPU to make sure it's not overheating.

Computer Specs:Windows 10, Intel 4770k 4.4, 16 gigs RAM, Everything running off of a Samsung EVO SSD.

It's worth noting on the song that it's the worst on I'm using 4 instances of Bias FX and one instance of EZDrummer 2.

Anyone have any idea whats going on? Having the same issues? I'm going crazy here.
If your RAM and CPU can't handle the higher sample rate you will have Issues. Higher sample rate = more work 44k/48k is optimal imo.

What soundcard are you using in Reason ASIO/MME/DX? What interface do you have? What Buffer size have you got set. Are you using the same interface to play windows sounds what sample rate is that set to?
It is not too much of an ask for people or things to be the best version of itself!

bessey72

30 Oct 2017

AttenuationHz wrote:
30 Oct 2017
bessey72 wrote:
30 Oct 2017
Hi All,

If your RAM and CPU can't handle the higher sample rate you will have Issues. Higher sample rate = more work 44k/48k is optimal imo.

What soundcard are you using in Reason ASIO/MME/DX? What interface do you have? What Buffer size have you got set. Are you using the same interface to play windows sounds what sample rate is that set to?
A lot o answer here! Alright here we go. Sample rate has always been at 44k.I meant to say buffer size in my original post not sample rate. Sorry! But once again before the upgrade to 10 I never had this issue and no hardware has changed. Using ASIO, Interface is Saffire Pro 14, Buffer size all depends on if Im recording or not. If I'm just mixing/adding effect and what not I keep it as high as it will go, when I'm recording I'll drop it down to 512 or so. I am using the same interface for windows sounds but I'm not sire of the sample rate. I'm assuming default.

THanks for the reply!

moneykube

30 Oct 2017

this happened to me in9.5... until I upgraded the os to sierra
https://soundcloud.com/moneykube-qube/s ... d-playlist
Proud Member Of The Awesome League Of Perpetuals

AttenuationHz

30 Oct 2017

bessey72 wrote:
30 Oct 2017
AttenuationHz wrote:
30 Oct 2017

A lot o answer here! Alright here we go. Sample rate has always been at 44k.I meant to say buffer size in my original post not sample rate. Sorry! But once again before the upgrade to 10 I never had this issue and no hardware has changed. Using ASIO, Interface is Saffire Pro 14, Buffer size all depends on if Im recording or not. If I'm just mixing/adding effect and what not I keep it as high as it will go, when I'm recording I'll drop it down to 512 or so. I am using the same interface for windows sounds but I'm not sire of the sample rate. I'm assuming default.

THanks for the reply!
I know from experience that if windows sounds play on the same sound card you have to have it set to the same bit depth and sample rate as Reason. Otherwise it could cause bother. Right click the volume thing on your taskbar and go to playback devices. Right click your soundcard > properties . Advanced tab there you can set the sample rate and bit depth. It may not be that worth checking though. Make sure you have the latest drivers too. You said you reinstalled did it reinstall old drivers or the latest.
It is not too much of an ask for people or things to be the best version of itself!

bessey72

30 Oct 2017

AttenuationHz wrote:
30 Oct 2017
bessey72 wrote:
30 Oct 2017

THanks for the reply!
I know from experience that if windows sounds play on the same sound card you have to have it set to the same bit depth and sample rate as Reason. Otherwise it could cause bother. Right click the volume thing on your taskbar and go to playback devices. Right click your soundcard > properties . Advanced tab there you can set the sample rate and bit depth. It may not be that worth checking though. Make sure you have the latest drivers too. You said you reinstalled did it reinstall old drivers or the latest.

Awesome! I'll try this when I get home. Hopefully it will help. Thanks!

bessey72

30 Oct 2017

AttenuationHz wrote:
30 Oct 2017
bessey72 wrote:
30 Oct 2017

THanks for the reply!

Well they weren't the same but even after changing them there was no difference. I'm going mad over here. Really irritated I've spend a fuck ton of money on a program that's not working properly.

AttenuationHz

30 Oct 2017

bessey72 wrote:
30 Oct 2017
AttenuationHz wrote:
30 Oct 2017

Well they weren't the same but even after changing them there was no difference. I'm going mad over here. Really irritated I've spend a fuck ton of money on a program that's not working properly.
It is probably something weird don't have an issue myself better off sending an email to support. customercare@propellerheads.se

EnochLight

01 Nov 2017

bessey72 wrote:
30 Oct 2017
Hi All,

Quick question: what version of Reason did you upgrade from? If it was pre-9.5.x, Reason now officially supports Hyperthreading for rendering audio. You might go into your Preferences and toggle that off to see if it makes a difference. Some systems don't play nice with it.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

bessey72

02 Nov 2017

I upgraded from 9.5. I already have it disabled. With hyperthreading disabled my cpu runs around 30-40%, with it enabled it runs closer to 90%.

RandyEspoda

02 Nov 2017

Set Cpu limit to 'none', enable multicore and disable HT, set sample rate for the soundcard to 44.1k or 48k, make sure you aren't using samples with very high sample rate cause the internal conversion will tax the cpu. Buffer size seems you got that handled.

If on windows, disable core parking : http://www.thewindowsclub.com/enable-di ... ng-windows

If on windows, make sure you follow these guidelines to optimize your system for audio : https://www.cantabilesoftware.com/glitchfree/

If you can, in preferences change the scratchdisk location of Reason to anything 'but' your C-drive.

• Information