Midi CC doesn't work, Superior Drummer (SD2)

Discuss VST stuff here!
SledgehammerSuicide

26 Oct 2017

I'm using Superior Drummer (SD2) inside a VST, all the midi works except for cc messages. This is (of course) for the high hat. Is there something I'm missing? Please help.

Audiol

27 Oct 2017

Good question,

I have the same problem. No hi hat open-closed recognized in reason from SD2. :roll:

bsp

27 Oct 2017

This is one of my grieves with Reason's VST support.

Reason filters out all MIDI messages to VST plugins, except for
  • note on / off
  • pitchbend
  • channel aftertouch
  • modwheel (CC#1)
  • expression (CC#11)
  • sustain pedal switch (CC#64)
You can verify that with a MIDI monitor, e.g. this one.

I really don't understand why they did that.
Why does not Reason simply pass on all incoming MIDI to the VST ?

While I don't have SD2, it's sometimes possible to (partially) workaround this by remote-overriding the knobs on an RE like the Aftermath Audio CV8x4, then routing its CV-out to the VST, then routing the VST CV-in to whatever parameter you want to control.
However, most VSTs do not expose basic CC inputs as parameters since that's redundant (Pianoteq does, for example).

The other issue with this workaround is that the MIDI input will be tied to a specific instance of a VST, so you can't simply switch the input focus like you can with an RE.

One way for PH to (mostly) solve this issue would be to add all "CC" and "program change" event types as "virtual" destinations in the VST CV programmer, then add the same event types as sources to the combinator.
You could then route up to ten "uncommon" MIDI message types to the VST.

As far as my understanding of REs goes, someone could even make a "MIDI bridge" RE that routes a configurable set of MIDI input events to knobs and CV outputs.
The knobs would move when new MIDI input is received.
You could then also automate the knobs if you wanted to sequence those events (in Reason's sequencer).

It would still be a bit cumbersome but at least it would work. The reasoning behind this is that it would probably be much more difficult for PH to "properly" add MIDI support that can easily be sequenced / automated.

For people like me who basically use Reason as a tape recorder and giant sound module, simply passing on all incoming MIDI to the VST would already do the trick.

SledgehammerSuicide

27 Oct 2017

BSP;
thank you for the great response! It almost makes sense that PH would limit the information like to ease the recording of automation; again, that's almost makes sense, those turkeys!
I'll try switching my hi hat to CC#11. Since edrums only need one CC (for hi hat control) this should solve the problem. Else I'll have to go under the hood and experiment with Aftermath Audio CV8x4 (thank you for the reference).

Thanks again, and I'll post if this was a good workaround..

SledgehammerSuicide

18 Nov 2017

CC1 Worked (FYI I use a Megadrum for my Drum Module). So, this is a good workaround for only one CC Controller.
I also just updated to Reason 10, and had hoped this problem would be fixed with the new version.. But it is not, still a problem in Version 10! Hopefully the future updates/versions will have this fixed. But for now, it least there's a workaround.

• Information