Will Propellerhead ever make any VSTs?

Discuss VST stuff here!
Zac

13 Oct 2017

Just wondering that they could convert some of their REs to VSTs to gain a greater market, or even release future REs as VSTs as well... I doubt it myself but you never know.

hurricane
Competition Winner

14 Oct 2017

God I hope not. Their synth REs can't compete with what's out there I'm afraid.
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

pquenin

15 Oct 2017

They have opened Reason to VSTs so I think the VST world is opened to Propellerhead now...

Loque

15 Oct 2017

I expect a RE wrapper or converter.
Reason12, Win10

Creativemind

15 Oct 2017

The thought had crossed my mind the moment vst came to Reason. Synchronous, PX7 and Parsec would make great vst's . Also they could rmake an NN-XT2 and make it a vst as well and it may entice people to Reason who use it in another daw and find it it's free within Reason as a native device. :-)
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

pquenin

15 Oct 2017

A NN-XT as VST would be a super idea, I have always dreamed to be able to use my Reason refills in other DAWs.

The Tone Ranger

15 Oct 2017

All this time I was reading how NN-XT was rubbish and outdated compared to VST samplers....

platzangst

15 Oct 2017

I suppose it's not impossible that PH might make VSTs, but I think it's unlikely. If we assume that they've been concentrating on coding for Reason and REs all this time, then they'd have to shift gears for VSTs, or get someone else in to do it.

I also doubt that PH would get any added bonus to Reason sales by having native Reason devices or PH REs show up as VSTs. If you're running a DAW and are happy enough to be buying VSTs for it, why would you be in the market for a new DAW? Especially if that DAW may not be completely compatible with any VST3s you might own... there may be a few people who'd bite but I doubt they'd offset the cost of making the VSTs.

And especially not the NN-XT - one, at this point I don't think there's anything so revolutionary about that sampler that people would fall all over themselves to buy it over any of the many other samplers out there. And two, I don't see how it would be in PH's interest to let Refill content get used in DAWs other than Reason.

spikey

16 Oct 2017

Well, I think it might help PH in the long run in making their own VST's at some point. Why? In this way, they might create a better OS (code) for VST's by understanding and resolving how VST's might work better inside a Reason environment. Logic X and Cubase 9 IIRC have their "own" VST's as well, so it's not a new idea. Making a VST that works in Logic X, or Cubase but won't work inside of Reason ( and its Reasons fault) is just bad for business, and OTOH making Reason into the go-to host for "all" VST's on top of what it already does, would be good business for them I think. I mean, Isn't that the "reason" they incorporated VST's inside of Reason in the first place? As always, YMMV. ;)

jlgrimes

16 Oct 2017

pquenin wrote:
15 Oct 2017
A NN-XT as VST would be a super idea, I have always dreamed to be able to use my Reason refills in other DAWs.
I don't know how well the NNXT would compete in today's VST market.

It is a great sampler but when you have monsters such as Kontakt, NNXT is pretty far behind.

Their synths might have a market though.

pquenin

17 Oct 2017

NN-XT is great. At a good price it can be an valuable product... Not everybody can afford Kontakt...

avasopht
Competition Winner

17 Oct 2017

jlgrimes wrote:
16 Oct 2017

I don't know how well the NNXT would compete in today's VST market.

It is a great sampler but when you have monsters such as Kontakt, NNXT is pretty far behind.

Their synths might have a market though.
NN19 and NNXT are pretty easy to design patches for though. For sure they are no competition to Kontakt.

QVprod

17 Oct 2017

Why? They already have their own plugin format, RE. Making VST would be counter intuitive when Reason is their flagship product.

stratatonic

17 Oct 2017

Maybe their devices are being readied for iOS and/or Android mobile instead of the VST computer world. There's likely more revenue in that model.

Start out with stripped down but functional Reason mobile, and add in-app additional devices.

AND OF COURSE, I think we have all come to expect that there are SOME workflow enhancements in every upgrade.

hurricane
Competition Winner

17 Oct 2017

The only prop VST device I would buy is Redrum. $69.99 - SOLD.

I also think Kong and Dr. Octorex would be popular.

I think THOR would get crucified at every other forum besides this one. Grain might be interesting though.

Might be a good marketing move to release a VST Subtractor (I would personally give them Thor) for free and get everyone to sign up to the Prop shop to get it and then hit them with the "upgrade to Reason 10 for just xxx!".

Releasing the NNXT is a horrible idea. Kontakt would be nothing without the killer 3rd party libraries, and NNXT suffers greatly in that regard. And all the good NNXT libraries are already available for Kontakt (Fairlight, Analogue Monsters...umm can't think of any more)
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

esselfortium

17 Oct 2017

Releasing Subtractor, Thor, or NNXT as VSTs wouldn't make a lot of sense in The Year Of Our Lord 2017. Thor would have been interesting to release as a VST when it was new and exciting a decade ago in 2007. Plus, the older devices were all very much intended to be paired with the rest of Reason's rack to become whole, unlike newer Reason devices that are more self-contained.
Sarah Mancuso
My music: Future Human

avasopht
Competition Winner

17 Oct 2017

esselfortium wrote:
17 Oct 2017
Releasing Subtractor, Thor, or NNXT as VSTs wouldn't make a lot of sense in The Year Of Our Lord 2017. Thor would have been interesting to release as a VST when it was new and exciting a decade ago in 2007. Plus, the older devices were all very much intended to be paired with the rest of Reason's rack to become whole, unlike newer Reason devices that are more self-contained.
What about a combinator VST?

Has Reason devices that you can wire. It's like a much more accessible Reaktor and gives you access to the Refill library and Rack Extensions.

I have no reason to expect it, but I think that would be a good value offering.

sublunar

17 Oct 2017

hurricane wrote:
14 Oct 2017
God I hope not. Their synth REs can't compete with what's out there I'm afraid.
"I'm just here to bash everything Reason"
-hurricane

Equalizer

17 Oct 2017

hurricane wrote:
17 Oct 2017
The only prop VST device I would buy is Redrum. $69.99 - SOLD.
Yes, me too! Drumazon is similar but it's not as simple as Redrum and I like simple with these drum machines.

jlgrimes

21 Oct 2017

esselfortium wrote:
17 Oct 2017

I think Thor could work as a VST. If the price is set right as a very affordable synth because to be honest what synthmaster gets you for about $50-$60 is a whole lot. Thor would need to be about that price or cheaper. Same with the samplers. Malstrom would be pretty nice but it would probably need to be around the same price.

Only Europa and Grain seem like competitive VSTS to today’s standards.

On the good side being VSTS would almost force Props to update their synths as VST market is more competitive and Props would definitely need to make their GUI more flexible kind of like Arturia whose GUI seems similar to Props (or G force).

Oquasec

21 Oct 2017

If talking modern stuff, you might as well use combinators for everything.
But yeah good point, propellerhead will probably need to make vsts if anything happens to RE format.
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

PeterP

22 Oct 2017

It would be interesting if PH took the FL Studio route and allowed Reason to work in either standalone DAW mode or as a VST instrument.

The price of Reason is comparable to a few high-end synths/effects so I'm sure a bunch of hardcore Ableton or Cubase devotees would buy if just for the new sounds. They might even be curious enough to open up the standalone/DAW mode...

I know we already have Rewire, but it's just not very convenient to use.

EnochLight

22 Oct 2017

hurricane wrote:
17 Oct 2017
I think THOR would get crucified at every other forum besides this one.
Today? Perhaps. But 10 years ago when it first came out, there were threads upon threads from people discussing Thor at KVR and how much it was loved. Maybe you haven't been around that long? ;)

On topic, I'd agree that Props should stay away from making VST. Their USP is Rack Extensions/native Reason devices and how they integrate into Reason.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

• Information