AIr Xpand2 FREE...limited time

Discuss VST stuff here!
DonnieAlan

13 Oct 2017

A friend of mine just posted this on the Pro Tools User forum. For a limited time, you can get Xpand2 from Air Instruments Free from the Don't Crack website. This is perfectly legit. It appears that Air is letting Xpand2 go for free, in the hopes that you'll take advantage of the upgrade offer to get their full Instrument Expansion Pack (IEP). The IEP includes 7 of their VI's, including Structure (a powerful, flexible, easy to use, sample VI), Transfuser, a very nice groove machine with tons of control, Strike - very dynamic virtual drums, Loom, additive synth, Velvet (great EP sounds), Hybrid3 - easy to use, highly programmable synth, and Vacuum Pro - nice analog emulation VI. It appears from the description at Don't Crack, that you can upgrade to the full IEP for 50% off, so around $75 U.S. Pretty cheap for all that.

In any case, Xpand2 comes with some 2500 built in sounds. You can do some editing to fit your needs, but not load your own samples or anything like that. However, you can combine up to 4 sounds in it, each on its own MIDI channel if you wish, OR, just stack them for a nice full sound. Put this in Reason Combinator, and you can go crazy with sound design with this one.

I can tell you from long experience that Xpand2 is easy to use, and, frankly, I find a reason to use it in about 80% of my work. Its just a go to for me because not only does it have many great sounds, but with layering and such, you can really make it work!

And right now....its a freebie.

You'll need to go to the Don't Crack website, put it in your cart. At checkout, you can create a Don't Crack account, add the coupon code and it'll change the price from $69 to 00. You'll get an email with the link to go to AIR, download the TRIAL version of Xpand, install on your system. When you re-open Reason, it'll go through the authorization process. Don't Crack will give you the code on the confirmation of your purchase page. It also requires iLok authorization. If you already have an account there, it'll happen pretty automatically as it loads into Reason. Once all the authorization is complete, Reason will finish booting up. Then call it up and explore.

Pralijah

14 Oct 2017

Was just looking at the deal to get ´em all for €70. I know one can trial them, but anyone tried these? Opinions...

I listened to the deomo of Strike and thought it sounded surprisingly natural.
Make music shake again!

ProfessaKaos

14 Oct 2017

Thank you for sharing :thumbs_up:
Reason 12 & 11.3 Suite PC- Windows 10, AMD Ryzen 9 5900x, Asus ROG CROSSHAIR Dark Hero VIII, 64GB G.Skill 3600C16 RAM, 980 Pro Samsung M.2, RTX3060.

https://soundcloud.com/juo-jual
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwNLcE ... DjhSI16TqQ

WillyOD

14 Oct 2017

If nothing else getting this installed has really made me appreciate the Rack Extensions :)
I used to make music but now I just cry on these forums. @diippii.com

Galaxy

14 Oct 2017

Not completely free. There's a tax charge even when the subtotal equals 0. Doesn't make sense.

ProfessaKaos

14 Oct 2017

Galaxy wrote:
14 Oct 2017
Not completely free. There's a tax charge even when the subtotal equals 0. Doesn't make sense.
It is completely free, I just got it completely free.
Reason 12 & 11.3 Suite PC- Windows 10, AMD Ryzen 9 5900x, Asus ROG CROSSHAIR Dark Hero VIII, 64GB G.Skill 3600C16 RAM, 980 Pro Samsung M.2, RTX3060.

DonnieAlan

14 Oct 2017

Pralijah wrote:Was just looking at the deal to get ´em all for €70. I know one can trial them, but anyone tried these? Opinions...

I listened to the deomo of Strike and thought it sounded surprisingly natural.
I've had and use the IEP all the time. For that price you will not be sorry. And they all work well hosted in Reason. Transfuser alone is worth the price. It is the most versatile groove machine I've ever used. And, you can use it as an fx only insert too! Structure is my go to sampler. So easy to import samples, create patches. Tons of editing capability. Great for chopping vocals too. Strike is very intuitive and highly programmable. Hybrid is a very unique sounding VI. Easy to program and has great sound. My only criticism is the download and installation process can be long. But once you have them, you'll be pleased!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DonnieAlan

14 Oct 2017

For those interested in the full Instrument Expansion Pack from AIR Instruments, check out this video which gives a good overview of all the instruments.

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

14 Oct 2017

ProfessaKaos wrote:
14 Oct 2017
Galaxy wrote:
14 Oct 2017
Does it sound good? is it worth the hassle of signing up an downloading it?

RandyEspoda

14 Oct 2017

Carly(Poohbear) wrote:
14 Oct 2017

Yes

DonnieAlan

14 Oct 2017

Carly(Poohbear) wrote:
14 Oct 2017
ProfessaKaos wrote:
14 Oct 2017

No, they do not sound "good"...they sound FANTASTIC!!!

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

14 Oct 2017

ProfessaKaos wrote:
14 Oct 2017
Galaxy wrote:
14 Oct 2017
FYI it's NOT completely free as you have to sign up for it, so you are handing over your information in exchange for it.

ProfessaKaos

15 Oct 2017

Carly(Poohbear) wrote:
14 Oct 2017
ProfessaKaos wrote:
14 Oct 2017

FYI it's NOT completely free as you have to sign up for it, so you are handing over your information in exchange for it.
True, but it does sound really good.

hurricane
Competition Winner

15 Oct 2017

Yeah it's free, but we're also about to be hit with an Xpand!3 soon which they will charge for and which I have no problem paying for because it is so excellent. Also, for those of us not updating to Reason 10 (long time user - I don't need more synths and samples) Xpand!2 has plenty of kalimbas, bells, choirs, ethnic things, and loops:

xpand.jpg
xpand.jpg (727.66 KiB) Viewed 6082 times
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

Jmax

15 Oct 2017

It's a HUGE library and great sounding. I've had it for years. Air makes amazing software. They give out Xpand2 every few months as a promotion. Their flagship. Best Free Shit on the market if you ask me.

demt

15 Oct 2017

wheres this coupon code then?
Reason 12 ,gear4 music sdp3 stage piano .nektar gxp 88,behringer umc1800 .line6 spider4 30
hear scince reason 2.5

WillyOD

15 Oct 2017

To get your FREE Xpand!2 just add it to the Shopping Cart and redeem the following coupon code at checkout:

XpandFreebie

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

15 Oct 2017

Got it download however the installer does not allow CAPS and my ilok password has CAPS in it, how stupid is that !!!

Got it working, as usually the levels are way out, but ho hum that's VST's for you.

People are right, it does sound nice, simple to use but as a device lacks any depth however I'm sure I will find a use for it. Thanks for the heads up.

WillyOD

15 Oct 2017

I activated the plugin. It told me to update iLok which I did and now the whole iLok License Manager is refusing to start. Reinstalling and rebooting didn't help, so I never actually got to try the actual plugin at all.

I guess I should remove everything and start from a scratch and just keep on using the old iLok License Manager and drivers.

But I'm starting to think I'm getting too old for this... Like I said, thank you for Rack Extensions.

miscend

15 Oct 2017

Thanks for the heads up!

miscend

15 Oct 2017

I was expecting the presets to be drenched in effects but they're not. This kinda reminds me of the Korg M1 VST. They're not the best instrument samples in the world but they are perfectly usable for making backing tracks.

RandyEspoda

15 Oct 2017

miscend wrote:
15 Oct 2017
I was expecting the presets to be drenched in effects but they're not. This kinda reminds me of the Korg M1 VST. They're not the best instrument samples in the world but they are perfectly usable for making backing tracks.
I love this thing, just got it. I would agree this is surely one of the best free vst thingies out there.

Only thing it lacks (imo) is a way to route each layer through a separate output, in order to process each layer separately in reason, which would offer a ton more control over each layer.

Still you can overcome the limitation simply with a combinator, and use a separate instance of xpand for each layer you use, routed to a mixer. You can then process each layer separately with additional effects and/or processing...

DonnieAlan

15 Oct 2017

Carly(Poohbear) wrote:
15 Oct 2017
Got it download however the installer does not allow CAPS and my ilok password has CAPS in it, how stupid is that !!!

Got it working, as usually the levels are way out, but ho hum that's VST's for you.

People are right, it does sound nice, simple to use but as a device lacks any depth however I'm sure I will find a use for it. Thanks for the heads up.
Its limited in that you can create your own patches/voices from scratch...BUT...you can do quite a bit of editing to the voices that are included and save those are your own patches to call up later. And because you can layer up to 4 voices at once, things can get quite interesting and fun fast. Unfortunately, you can't route the audio output separately for each of the 4 parts. But you can have each part played separately on a different MIDI channel. Or, have all them played on the same channel, or split them up any other way you wish. And with the additional modulation, fliter, pan, portamento, arp controls, you can tweak quite a bit. Plus, you have an arsenal of decent fx that can be added as desired, with 1 or 2 assigned to each of the 4 parts.

If there is an Xpand3 coming, I'll be interested to see what new features they might add. I'm hoping that besides additional voices, they add more ARP choices, more modulations, more fx, and maybe even layering up to 8 voices, each with routable audio outputs! But we'll see.

Meanwhile, this can create some rich textures easily for a nice Combinator set up.

DonnieAlan

15 Oct 2017

RandyEspoda wrote:
15 Oct 2017
miscend wrote:
15 Oct 2017
I love this thing, just got it. I would agree this is surely one of the best free vst thingies out there.

Only thing it lacks (imo) is a way to route each layer through a separate output, in order to process each layer separately in reason, which would offer a ton more control over each layer.

Still you can overcome the limitation simply with a combinator, and use a separate instance of xpand for each layer you use, routed to a mixer. You can then process each layer separately with additional effects and/or processing...
When they came out with Xpand2, they added the ability to have up to 4 MIDI inputs to control each of the 4 parts, but oddly, left out the audio out. I'm hoping its added in Xpand3...if that ever happens!

pquenin

15 Oct 2017

Thanks for sharing, great plugin, some sounds are really superb !

• Information