Executables vs dlls

Discuss VST stuff here!
Sorped

01 Oct 2017

Hello,
Just wondering why some VSTs are just .dll-files to be placed in the right folder while others are executable installation-files?

Thanks
Alio Modo: SoundCloud
-----------
Born to lose, live to win.
Don't forget to back up your projects! :thumbs_up:

Zac

01 Oct 2017

The exe's are merely father's to place and implement the DLL in a manner that suits the provider. The DLL is the end game.

Sorped

01 Oct 2017

Zac wrote:
01 Oct 2017
The exe's are merely father's to place and implement the DLL in a manner that suits the provider. The DLL is the end game.
Thanks. Any risk of "bloat" from exes?
Alio Modo: SoundCloud
-----------
Born to lose, live to win.
Don't forget to back up your projects! :thumbs_up:

Zac

01 Oct 2017

I have no idea what bloat means but you will likely get multiple versions of the plugin installed if you don't limit an exe installation. I hate the bloat and only ever install what I need.

DonnieAlan

02 Oct 2017

For some VST's, the developer opts to use an executable to install, partly to ensure the associated voice and/or sample libraries are put in the right place for the VI to find (or whatever other files it needs to access, such as IR files for a convo reverb). But, most VST's I've seen you just slide the .dll to the right folder on your drive so your host can find it. Also, with the executables, as pointed out, you usually (though NOT always) have the option to tell the installer which version of the VST you want to install, so you don't have to have all the extras versions (ie 32bit on a 64bit system) you don't need.

But at the end of the day, its the dll that matters.

• Information