Kirnu-Cream Arpeggiator Setup

Discuss VST stuff here!
jmusic

22 Sep 2017

I installed the Kirnu-Cream Arpeggiator. However, I'm not hearing anything in Reason 9.5.2. I think it may be a routing issue?

normen

22 Sep 2017

I have a piece of string in my hand, can you tell me how long it is? ;)

I guess people need more information to help you.

jmusic

22 Sep 2017

How do I configure/setup Kirnu-Cream Arpeggiator? When I load Kirnu-Cream Arpeggiator with another synth instrument, I hear nothing when I play my MIDI controller.

normen

22 Sep 2017

But if you use kirnu-cream arpeggiator with another synth then thats not related to Reason..?

jmusic

22 Sep 2017

I need help routing Kirnu-Cream Arpeggiator with another instrument like with Thor or with another VST instrument.

normen

22 Sep 2017

o_O Do you think this is google and you just need to find the correct way to enter the question?

I guess the issue might be that you need to set up a generic MIDI control for the virtual MIDI output of the arpeggiator. Go to Reasons settings and add a new "Generic Multichannel MIDI controller". ..but I can still only guess what you are doing, what you want to do and what isn't working.

normen

22 Sep 2017

Oh, I just read up on the Arp, its a MIDI VST, those are not supported in Reason. I thought it was a standalone software.. Anyway, goes to show that its best to provide as much information as possible when asking questions in a forum :)

DonnieAlan

22 Sep 2017

I haven't set up Cream in Reason yet. But, essentially you need to do the following:

1. Have a VI up and running that you want Cream to play
2. Have MIDI input going into Cream to be arpeggiated
3. Have the MIDI OUT from Cream going TO your VI.

For the MIDI input to Cream, you can either use a MIDI track with notes on it OR play live off a MIDI controller. Either way, Cream needs MIDI data input to work on.

Cream has no audio output, so you shouldn't need a MIX channel with it.

If the MIDI routing is set up correctly, then the audio output of the VI should be playing the Arp data coming from Cream the same way one of the Reason players does.

But, I haven't set this up in Reason yet, so I'm not quite sure of the exact step-by-step set up required.

DonnieAlan

23 Sep 2017

I should have realized this earlier, but because Reason doesn't allow assigning a MIDI out from a VST plugin, there's no good way to set this up within the Reason rack. In order for Cream to work, you have to be able to assign the MIDI OUT from Cream to a specific instrument. There may be a convoluted workaround using Blue Cat Audio's Patchwork as the host, but I haven't experimented with that yet to see if it will work. The general idea would be to host both Cream and the VI inside Patchwork. But I'm not sure it will work.

BTW, the same principle would apply to Xfer Records"s Cthulhu plugin.

We need to send a feature request to the P-heads to allow for MIDI output assignments. I'd like to see it set up with MIDI IN/OUT ports on the back of the rack for each module and you can route the MIDI signals as you so desire, just like you can now with MIDI cables. Imagine the possibilities if you can have a MIDI splitter and could route a single MIDI output to multiple MIDI inputs on various instruments, like we do now with CV splitters. They could make it so you could toggle between seeing your MIDI cables or you Audio cables if things got too messy back there. There are so many things that could be opened up if MIDI out assignments were possible in Reason.

This would have been a very nice feature addition for Reason 10, IMHO!

DonnieAlan

23 Sep 2017

Well, I was able to test out using Cream in Reason with Blue Cat Audio's Patchwork. It will work that way. You have to have a VST version of Patchwork visible to Reason. Install it on a track and make sure you have a mix channel with it. In Patchwork you'll only need on column and no rows for hosting slots. In the first slot put Cream, in the second, whatever VST you want to use. (For now, at least, I don't see any way you can use Cream with the RE VI's directly, only your VST VI's). Set the MIDI input on Patchwork for the slot Cream is in (slot 1) to "ALL" or a specific input channel if you wish. Set the output to "A" (or "B" or whatever port you wish to use). Set the MIDI input on VST instrument slot to the same Port and channel as the Cream output. Now if you either play a MIDI track on that track, or just play your midi controller, you should hear it passing through Cream, adding whatever ARP preset you have selected playing whatever voice you called up on your VI.

Unless and until Reason provides MIDI routing with MIDI IN/OUT possible between rack modules, I can't see any other way to make this work. I suppose it might work with some other multiple module host like VEPro...but I don't have that, so can't check.

Its a bit of a workaround...but it will work. I did put in a feature request to the P-heads regarding adding MIDI routing internally, as I mentioned in my earlier post. I would encourage others to do the same. Perhaps if they hear it enough, they'll do it!

• Information