VPS Avenger has been updated to 1.2.0 - granular synthesis!

Discuss VST stuff here!
EnochLight

07 Sep 2017

I missed this from a few days ago, but VPS Avenger has finally been updated with the long awaited granular synthesis module, new patches, and other improvements. Go to your account and download it now (along with the new R4 content file).

In the new R4 content file:
new Granular styled Factory Presets: 32 (just search for Granular Tags in the preset search field)
Granular Sample Content
Gran Drumloops 14
Gran FX 65
Gran Instrument Loops 33
Gran Oneyshots 47
Gran Vocals 60
Total: 219
the Resampler Instruments are now available in the browser
new FX Presets, like for the Delay, Chorus etc
Many new Envelope Presets (especially for the Granular Envelope, but also Pitch, ModEnv etc.)
And overall the new features:
1.2.0 - big GRANULAR Update
- added new Granular synthesis module
- added 32 new Granular presets
- added granular factory library with 219 waveforms/loops for granular synthesis
- added new mighty soundbrowser to load sounds into an OSC
- added the library for the "resampler" into ne new browser
- added new release mode for mod-envelope (releasing the note in an attack phase will jump to the correspondent volume in the release phase)
- fixed a problem with ARP undo for patterns B, C, D
- fixed some ARP issues like hanging notes, pattern issues
- fixed a issue with loading Impulse samples for "FX Impulse" effect
- added "verify expansion" to the expansion browser, so that customer expansions can be verified before
publishing them. That shows issues with using content from other expansions than the target expansion or the factory.
- added version check for presets: You can not longer load a preset in an outdated Avenger version (example: a preset created with 1.2 using the new granular module loaded into an Avenger 1.0) which would otherwise lead to a crash.
- added new DrumSequencer functions: export to MIDI and import from MIDI, just rightclick in the DrumSQ area below
- added the possibility of live recording the Arpeggiator note output into Midi (only supported for DAWs which allow MIDI return, and only VST2/3). Just create a new MIDI track and select VPS Avenger as input source.
- INIT preset load fix. The correct INIT preset should now be loaded for everyone
- dozens of smaller bugfixes
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

EnochLight

08 Sep 2017

And now it's updated to 1.2.1:
- added Key-File import via SystemTab->Content->button "Import Content"
- added LICENSE-GUIDE. This will show up if Avenger loads an expansion without having the licenes for it.
- fixed: droping a custom sample onto the osc will not automatically switch to Granular mode. Granular mode must be set first to load sample into granular-osc's
- fixed a issue with the library that was invisible if the Computer was running longer than 3-4 days.
- fixed: Transpose of stacker-sample not working correct after retriggering a note
- fixed a ARP releated CPU spike
- fixed Granular Envelope is not working correct on old customized init-presets
- fixed issue in SoundBrowser where selecting a freeform shape did not set the correct synthesis
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

EnochLight

12 Sep 2017

And a 1.2.2 update:
- fixed invisible value readouts
- fixed reordering FX-Slots did not update the GAIN-dails
- fixed ARP-MiniNote handling
- fixed vanishing VEL-Curve buttons on GUI scales < 80%
- fixed a problem with long ARP notes when the ARP length was changed afterwards
- fixed removing a OSC will reset Keyzones for folling OSCs
- fixed click sound caused by midi patterns with single notes in a cue ( ie. 1/4 pattern )
- added a write-permission check before the license file will be replaced. this should prevent confusion about still-locked expansions after license import
- changed: Updates will be downloaded via Avenger again. ( v1.2.0 did just open the browser ) a progress bar is displayed instead the unreadable circle animation

etyrnal

13 Sep 2017

I wish I could get VPS Avenger to work under reason 9.5 .1 on OS X 10.7

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

EnochLight

13 Sep 2017

etyrnal wrote:
13 Sep 2017

Have you reached out to Vengeance-Sound/Propellerhead tech support? What's it doing when you try to run it?

groggy1

13 Sep 2017

Here's my thoughts on VPS Avenger (bought it a month ago).

Sound-wise, I like it. It seems very focused on layering sounds, like other Vengeance synths (e.g. Metrum kick-drum synth is all about getting a solid sound by layering)

My biggest gripe is that the display is unreadable. I have a 1280x1024 monitor, and I have to zoom the UX to 70% for it to fit on one monitor. And then the text is just super-blurry and unreadable. It makes it so hard to find the parameter that I want if I can't READ the text on them. Arg!

Also, I think it's strongest point is also it's weakest: It allows for a lot of FLEXIBILITY to add extra filters, extra effects, extra oscillators, and modulators. But that comes at a cost of having a complexity I think. E.g. the mod-matrix ends-up being this hard-to-read list that you have to scroll through. I much prefer the modulation UX of fabfilter or Massive. Anyway, just my opionion.

Overall, I think it's good but not great.

etyrnal

13 Sep 2017

In the VST plugins manager window it shows that it couldn't load the plugin. The demo has probably expired by now.

EnochLight

14 Sep 2017

etyrnal wrote:
13 Sep 2017
In the VST plugins manager window it shows that it couldn't load the plugin. The demo has probably expired by now.
Must have been something on your machine that was making it crash. I'd uninstall it and download the latest version to try again. Maybe it was a bug specific to your machine that's been fixed, who knows. I can't remember if demo expires - it might have an audio watermark. Just make sure to download the demo content file as well (and load the content file into Avenger once it's loaded into your Reason rack, located on the "SYS" page, "Content" tab (though it will likely prompt you for the content file when you first try to instantiate it).

It's worth messing around with, at least. I feel like Avenger is up there with the "must have" instruments for any studio, up there along with Omnisphere, Serum, etc. Literally every patch is like a Reason Combi on steroids.

Hauser+Quaid

15 Sep 2017

I've been wanting to try this one since it first came out but never got around to it. Now I'm a bit overloaded with new synths so it would be a bit of a waste, but the new features look incredible!

BonsaiMacKay

15 Sep 2017

etyrnal wrote:
13 Sep 2017

On their website they say macOS 10.8 (Mountain Lion), I assume 10.8 and later. Can't you upgrade your OS? I am on Sierra 10.12.6 on a mid-2012 MBP and the machine is still smoking, and when all my software and hardware makers have issued their compatibility statements, I am moving on to High Sierra.

etyrnal

15 Sep 2017

Every time I upgrade an os, I get new problems and loose half of my best tools. Too many things are working right to even come close to being tempted to play OS upgrade roulette.

BonsaiMacKay

16 Sep 2017

etyrnal wrote:
15 Sep 2017
Every time I upgrade an os, I get new problems and loose half of my best tools. Too many things are working right to even come close to being tempted to play OS upgrade roulette.

Sorry to hear that. Personally, I have never had a problem. I always wait until all my gear is compatible. Software and hardware makers always release a statement confirming compatibility, so at every new macOS I sign up to be informed as soon as possible. The longest I had to wait was 6 months, once because of issues Native Instruments were having, and once because I was in the middle of a big project and couldn't afford the risk. I am between projects right now, so it shouldn't be a problem if compatibility is confirmed.

• Information