I made a video to explain Kontakt routing within Reason. Let me know what you think!

Discuss VST stuff here!
MikeMcKew

23 Aug 2017

Link to the video is here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQP6qnx-dno

I'm new to making Reason tutorials, so please let me know if you have any comments or questions that I can answer. I'm happy to help! Please feel free to subscribe if you want to see more videos in the future.

Ahornberg

23 Aug 2017

Fine work! Keep on making tutorials!
... and now I realized that there's a template folder :thumbs_up:

One thing that shocked me was the high DSP load around 6:10 in the video:
only 2 Kontakt units and 3 up to 4 bars on the DSP meter ... one more Kontakt would not be possible, I think
but that has nothing to do with the professional quality of your tutorial video.

MikeMcKew

23 Aug 2017

Ahornberg wrote:
23 Aug 2017
Fine work! Keep on making tutorials!
... and now I realized that there's a template folder :thumbs_up:

One thing that shocked me was the high DSP load around 6:10 in the video:
only 2 Kontakt units and 3 up to 4 bars on the DSP meter ... one more Kontakt would not be possible, I think
but that has nothing to do with the professional quality of your tutorial video.
Thank you, I shall continue! Glad you learned something new!

Yeah, honestly I've been having issues recently with DSP load which I haven't figured out yet. I am on a laptop, but it's still frustrating because this laptop is as powerful as a lot of desktops. Will look into it.

Thanks again!

selig
RE Developer

23 Aug 2017

I have a song with 9 Kontakt instances (plus NNXTs etc.) that runs fine on 1024 buffer @ 44.1 kHz. My 2 year old iMac doesn't fair well with the "stress test" so I know it's not some super-system by any means!
Screen Shot 2017-08-23 at 9.04.12 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-08-23 at 9.04.12 PM.png (595.33 KiB) Viewed 2247 times
Also, I use only one Kontakt for drums (keeps CPU down, plus no Combinator, which also uses CPU). I route mono kick/snare/hat, all toms to a stereo pair, OHs to a stereo pair, etc. and it's more than enough control for me.
Selig Audio, LLC

kitekrazy

23 Aug 2017

This was great. You should try spreading them across 4 instances of Kontakt and see if the performance is better by having all 4 cores working equally.

MikeMcKew

23 Aug 2017

selig wrote:
23 Aug 2017
I have a song with 9 Kontakt instances (plus NNXTs etc.) that runs fine on 1024 buffer @ 44.1 kHz. My 2 year old iMac doesn't fair well with the "stress test" so I know it's not some super-system by any means!
Also, I use only one Kontakt for drums (keeps CPU down, plus no Combinator, which also uses CPU). I route mono kick/snare/hat, all toms to a stereo pair, OHs to a stereo pair, etc. and it's more than enough control for me.
You know, I didn't realize it until now, but I bet my buffer size is causing my high DSP meter. I usually am on 48k, but I keep the buffer at 64 samples because I record audio as well. I'll have to mess with that.

Also your way makes sense, I hadn't though about that. I suppose kit elements are mono (except OH) so you could theoretically even get all elements accounted for on separate mix channels using one instance of Kontakt. Will have to experiment with that.

MikeMcKew

23 Aug 2017

kitekrazy wrote:
23 Aug 2017
This was great. You should try spreading them across 4 instances of Kontakt and see if the performance is better by having all 4 cores working equally.
Thank you! That's an interesting idea, I will have to give that a shot.

Goriila Texas

25 Aug 2017

selig wrote:
23 Aug 2017
Tips and tricks for Vst sticky would be good imo. I would hate for this info to get lost.

EnochLight

25 Aug 2017

MikeMcKew wrote:
23 Aug 2017
I'm new to making Reason tutorials, so please let me know if you have any comments..
Hey Mike - just a suggestion... all of your voice overs in your reviews sound like low bit-rate MP3's from the late 90's. Not sure what's going on with your recordings, but you might want to look into that. Otherwise, nice work!
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

aburazaru

25 Aug 2017

EnochLight wrote:
25 Aug 2017
MikeMcKew wrote:
23 Aug 2017
I'm new to making Reason tutorials, so please let me know if you have any comments..
Hey Mike - just a suggestion... all of your voice overs in your reviews sound like low bit-rate MP3's from the late 90's. Not sure what's going on with your recordings, but you might want to look into that. Otherwise, nice work!
I was actually JUST about to say something similar. Great work and content (totally subscribed), but that vocal export isn't doing that mic any justice at all (at2020?).
How was I supposed to know "don't touch" meant to not push the big...red...button?

MikeMcKew

26 Aug 2017

EnochLight wrote:
25 Aug 2017
MikeMcKew wrote:
23 Aug 2017
Thanks, I appreciate the feedback! It's funny you bring that up, because I realized earlier today that I hadn't given much thought to the audio quality of the voiceover... which seems silly, given the subject matter. Up to this point, I've recorded audio directly into OBS and have been using their stock compressor, noise gate, and noise suppressor. So today I tinkered with using some of my VST plugins in place of their stock modules, and I think it'll make a difference.

All that to say, I think (I hope) you'll notice an improvement in the near future! Thanks again!

MikeMcKew

26 Aug 2017

aburazaru wrote:
25 Aug 2017
EnochLight wrote:
25 Aug 2017

I was actually JUST about to say something similar. Great work and content (totally subscribed), but that vocal export isn't doing that mic any justice at all (at2020?).
Close, it's an AT2035! See above comment -- you will hopefully hear an improvement in upcoming videos. I'll keep working at it!

Thanks for watching and for your feedback!

EnochLight

26 Aug 2017

MikeMcKew wrote:
26 Aug 2017
Thanks, I appreciate the feedback! It's funny you bring that up, because I realized earlier today that I hadn't given much thought to the audio quality of the voiceover... which seems silly, given the subject matter. Up to this point, I've recorded audio directly into OBS and have been using their stock compressor, noise gate, and noise suppressor. So today I tinkered with using some of my VST plugins in place of their stock modules, and I think it'll make a difference.

All that to say, I think (I hope) you'll notice an improvement in the near future! Thanks again!
No worries! That said, adding/changing effects won't help - it's the audio sample/bit-rate that your voice over is being recorded or rendered at. Your mic is fine (I use a similar AT mic and it sounds brilliant).
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

MikeMcKew

26 Aug 2017

EnochLight wrote:
26 Aug 2017
MikeMcKew wrote:
26 Aug 2017

No worries! That said, adding/changing effects won't help - it's the audio sample/bit-rate that your voice over is being recorded or rendered at. Your mic is fine (I use a similar AT mic and it sounds brilliant).
Hmm, I will have to mess with that in OBS. Thanks for the tip!

• Information