Problems with Kontakt in the Reason Rack

Discuss VST stuff here!
keeverw

31 Jul 2017

Hello,
I wondered if anyone else was having issues with Kontakt in Reason.

I had used it for a while after 9.5 came out with no issues.

But all of a sudden it sounds strange. Most notes are cut short, and sustain doesn't work at all.

But Kontakt in standalone works fine, and in Ableton it works fine.

I have tried updating Kontakt and Reason, which didn't help.

Any ideas?

keeverw

31 Jul 2017

Just tried using Kontakt with the External Midi instrument device, and it works fine that way.

It's just when I load it into the rack.

And it's just Kontakt.
I loaded Massive into the Rack with no issues at all.

keeverw

31 Jul 2017

And when I record midi notes I played, it shows that I held the notes out for a full measure, but even during playback they cut off almost instantly.

selig
RE Developer

01 Aug 2017

keeverw wrote:
31 Jul 2017
And when I record midi notes I played, it shows that I held the notes out for a full measure, but even during playback they cut off almost instantly.
Check your preferences - sounds exactly like you have your controller assigned twice. Make sure there is only one controller assigned to Reason and see if the problem goes away.
:)
Selig Audio, LLC

keeverw

09 Aug 2017

selig wrote:
01 Aug 2017
keeverw wrote:
31 Jul 2017
Check your preferences - sounds exactly like you have your controller assigned twice. Make sure there is only one controller assigned to Reason and see if the problem goes away.
:)
Unfortunately that wasn't it.

I have a support request with Propellerhead about this.
Hopefully I'll get a resolution soon.

Until then I welcome any other help or advice.

Despondo
Competition Winner

14 Aug 2017

Are you playing notes with a keyboard controller, or drawing them in on the piano roll? If you are doing the former, make sure your controller isn't set to the wrong preset. For example, I used to own an M-Audio Keystation Pro 88 controller. It started doing what you described, so I found out that I needed to set it to Preset #10, which solved the problem. If you are getting the same problems when just drawing notes into the piano roll, make sure the Kontakt instrument and samples are completely loaded.

keeverw

15 Aug 2017

Despondo wrote:
14 Aug 2017
Are you playing notes with a keyboard controller, or drawing them in on the piano roll? If you are doing the former, make sure your controller isn't set to the wrong preset. For example, I used to own an M-Audio Keystation Pro 88 controller. It started doing what you described, so I found out that I needed to set it to Preset #10, which solved the problem. If you are getting the same problems when just drawing notes into the piano roll, make sure the Kontakt instrument and samples are completely loaded.
I tried both, playing live and playing back a recorded sequence via the sequencer.
The problem didn't go away in either instance.

I actually heard back from NI and they recommended I downgrade to an older version of Kontakt, because Reason may not be compatible with 64-bit plugins. Now I've heard from many people that Reason is compatible only with 64-bit plugins, however, I downgraded anyway out of desperation, and it works perfectly now.

So I may try upgrading Kontakt again later, but for now I'm just glad it's working.

selig
RE Developer

15 Aug 2017

keeverw wrote:
15 Aug 2017
Despondo wrote:
14 Aug 2017
I tried both, playing live and playing back a recorded sequence via the sequencer.

I actually heard back from NI and they recommended I downgrade to an older version of Kontakt, because Reason may not be compatible with 64-bit plugins. Now I've heard from many people that Reason is compatible only with 64-bit plugins, however, I downgraded anyway out of desperation, and it works perfectly now.

So I may try upgrading Kontakt again later, but for now I'm just glad it's working.
Weird - running multiple instances of the latest version of Kontakt on a Reason song all day today with absolutely no problems. Haven't seen any issues with Kontakt since day one.

You on Mac or PC (I'm on Mac)? Wondering what else it could be, but glad to hear it's sorted for you (I misunderstood your original post btw, thinking the notes themselves were being recorded 'short', but now reading the sounds are cut off - slowly loosing my mind I fear!).
Selig Audio, LLC

keeverw

15 Aug 2017

selig wrote:
15 Aug 2017
keeverw wrote:
15 Aug 2017

Weird - running multiple instances of the latest version of Kontakt on a Reason song all day today with absolutely no problems. Haven't seen any issues with Kontakt since day one.

You on Mac or PC (I'm on Mac)? Wondering what else it could be, but glad to hear it's sorted for you (I misunderstood your original post btw, thinking the notes themselves were being recorded 'short', but now reading the sounds are cut off - slowly loosing my mind I fear!).
The mind is a terrible thing to lose. lol

I had no issues when I first installed Kontakt and loaded it into Reason.

Then I bought a Scarlett 6i6 and it came with Ableton Live Lite and everyone says it's better for live use, but I have never tried it.
So I installed Ableton, and loaded up Kontakt in there, with no issues. But after a week or two using Ableton, I decided I like Reason much better, even for live use. Maybe it's just because I know it better, or maybe just because it's better in general.

But when I went back to Reason, it started doing the note-chopping.
Not sure what the issue is. Maybe a setting in Kontakt got changed?

I would bet if I upgraded Kontakt back to the latest version it would work fine. But I'm playing this as a keyboard-rig at church this sunday so I'll leave it alone until after sunday. lol

edit:
oh, and I'm on Mac - Sierra.

QVprod

16 Aug 2017

keeverw wrote:
15 Aug 2017

Then I bought a Scarlett 6i6 and it came with Ableton Live Lite and everyone says it's better for live use, but I have never tried it.
So I installed Ableton, and loaded up Kontakt in there, with no issues. But after a week or two using Ableton, I decided I like Reason much better, even for live use. Maybe it's just because I know it better, or maybe just because it's better in general.

I would bet if I upgraded Kontakt back to the latest version it would work fine. But I'm playing this as a keyboard-rig at church this sunday so I'll leave it alone until after sunday. lol

edit:
Yeah that's really odd. Perhaps there's an issue with either Kontakt or Reason in Sierra. Runs just fine on my machine with Yosemite. Or if you happened to download some new plugins recently.

Side note: As a fellow church guy, Ableton Live isn't better than Reason for live keyboard playing (especially not the lite version). It does have some flexible midi routing though. On the Gospel side of things most people use Live mainly for running multitracks or click tracks for setlists. That's where it excels, being able to loop and jump to song sections on the fly.

keeverw

16 Aug 2017

QVprod wrote:
16 Aug 2017
keeverw wrote:
15 Aug 2017

edit:
Yeah that's really odd. Perhaps there's an issue with either Kontakt or Reason in Sierra. Runs just fine on my machine with Yosemite. Or if you happened to download some new plugins recently.

Side note: As a fellow church guy, Ableton Live isn't better than Reason for live keyboard playing (especially not the lite version). It does have some flexible midi routing though. On the Gospel side of things most people use Live mainly for running multitracks or click tracks for setlists. That's where it excels, being able to loop and jump to song sections on the fly.
That's pretty much the conclusion I came to as well. We use the Multitracks iPad app to do tracks as of right now. Our soundguy asked me to look into Ableton to see if it would be an improvement, and to use as a keyrig and loop launcher.
I think it falls short as a keyrig. And I didn't find it to be very intuitive at all either.

I have a combinator in Reason with my Giant piano, and a couple of pads (one thor and one malstrom), and a rhodes (nnxt), and I send them all to seperate SSL channels. But I lock my lower keyboard to that combinator.

Then I have an upper keyboard that plays lead stuff, and I use next track or prev track to select whatever track that keyboard triggers, as it's the master keyboard in my setup.

This has worked really well for me for about 8 years of playing in church, all the way back to Reason 3.0 and even though there are a few things I wish Props would add, I am pretty happy with it overall.

And I love that no matter what crazy sound my worship leader asks me to play, I know I can find a way to create it in the Reason rack.
I've even done it at practice before, and our bass player was like "uh oh, he is flipping the rack around, it's about to get serious." lol

#reasonforlife

I just couldn't find any way to come close to that functionality in Ableton. I even was using the Suite trial, so there were no limitations.
I tried using instrument groups with the channel selector, and all of that. It's just overly complicated for my taste. And at the very best scenario I would probably be using Reason rewired in for all of my sounds I've created anyway. So if I'm rewired into Ableton I have to ask what is Ableton really doing for me. And the only thing I can come up with is setting global tempo for each song. Reason still can't do that, though I'd love to see an RE that can hold tempo presets and be controlled by my keyboard to step through tempo presets. lol
It's not worth the hassle of setting everything up in ableton just for that.

Sorry, that was long-winded. :-)

Despondo
Competition Winner

17 Aug 2017

QVprod wrote:
16 Aug 2017
Been running Sierra with multiple instance of Kontakt here and having no issues whatsoever.

egelmett

17 Sep 2017

Turn off Multiprocessor Support in the Options: - Options->Engine->Multiprocessor support (VST - Plugin)

I had the same issues...seems to work better for me.

MacOS 10.12.5

• Information