Anyone else kinda wish we didn't get VST support?

Discuss VST stuff here!
Aosta

27 Jul 2017

Haven't loaded a single VST, have no interest in VSTs, it's why I jumped to Reason in first place to get away from VSTs.
Interesting that the new VST sub is pretty much full of people complaining about VSTs.
Tend the flame

moneykube

28 Jul 2017

I am torn... still like racks better
did have a hell of a lot of fun with crystal though
I think vst was rushed and needs some bug fixes
too bad vacation time... seems to always time this way... been user since version 2 and rebirth
seen statements that were actually lies that they removed from the site... forum removal bad... not keen on all the app integration either... alhoopa... no for me... the information removed from forum was extremely valuable... still scratching my head on that terrible choice... hyperthreading does nothing for my work flow but slow it down
my big question... why fix something that works fine... and now has problems... seems rather Stupid
of course this seems to relate to mainly mac
my mac has way more power then the specs suggested...
Fast, stable internet connection for installation and registration required!
Intel Mac with dual core processor ... 2.8 intel core i7
4 GB RAM (8 GB or more recommended for large ReFills or Rack Extensions)... 16 gig 1600 mhz DDr3
4 GB free hard disk space (program may use up to 20 GB scratch disk space)... 100 mb space and more on external drives
Mac OS X 10.7 or later (64-bit)... yes
Monitor with at least 1280x768 resolution... yes
CoreAudio compliant audio interface or built-in audio hardware... yes
MIDI interface and a MIDI keyboard recommended... yes

so why are there these problems... beta test should have weeded them out
scrolling stutters... songs that used to work say to much processing to play now.... used but few racks... bounce to save resources ... and all the usually tricks... something is very wrong... and as popular belief suggests... no user error
fixed... damn apple upgrades
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!______________________
if apple tells you that you must update your computer to new os and new itunes to make an ipad work... don't listen to them... it's a lie.... ipad was fixed by removing ad block... new system they had me install made computer slower then carving stone tablets... apps crashed... wouldn't open... took a half hour to do any small task.... so I told apple I will revert to my old system... lie #2... they said that would solve nothing... yet... everything now works as it should... 4 days dealing with the "professionals" at apple... I could do a better job... they know nothing anymore... the downward slide is well underway.... um... grrr... and hurray I have a computer again
Last edited by moneykube on 29 Jul 2017, edited 3 times in total.
https://soundcloud.com/moneykube-qube/s ... d-playlist
Proud Member Of The Awesome League Of Perpetuals

JiggeryPokery
RE Developer

28 Jul 2017

electrochoc (PRX-A) wrote:
27 Jul 2017

There's always the possibility to hide (desactivate) the versions of a VST that you don't need...

Yup, you're right, I remembered you could disable via the Reason Plugin List Window Thingy last night. It's a bit clunky though: Disable brings up a modal confirm dialog. Why?! If one presses it by mistake—which is pretty hard to do—it's still going to take a click to dismiss the confirmation and not disable, so one might as well get rid of the unnecessary confirmation and just let people click Enable, it's still the same amount of clicks , so the modal dialog is utterly redundant and makes plugin management harder. :roll: . And it can only be done one one plugin at a time, there is no multi-select available, and, um the disable/enable button is half obscured by the resize window icon here. It's a work in progress, but there needs to be some will to progress it, but invariably these things are never iterated on again.

joeyluck

28 Jul 2017

JiggeryPokery wrote:
28 Jul 2017
electrochoc (PRX-A) wrote:
27 Jul 2017

There's always the possibility to hide (desactivate) the versions of a VST that you don't need...

Yup, you're right, I remembered you could disable via the Reason Plugin List Window Thingy last night. It's a bit clunky though: Disable brings up a modal confirm dialog. Why?! If one presses it by mistake—which is pretty hard to do—it's still going to take a click to dismiss the confirmation and not disable, so one might as well get rid of the unnecessary confirmation and just let people click Enable, it's still the same amount of clicks , so the modal dialog is utterly redundant and makes plugin management harder. :roll: . And it can only be done one one plugin at a time, there is no multi-select available, and, um the disable/enable button is half obscured by the resize window icon here. It's a work in progress, but there needs to be some will to progress it, but invariably these things are never iterated on again.
I wish there was a way to do this with REs (disabling) without deleting them from your computer.

What I think would be even cooler would be a way to save a set of enabled REs/VSTs in templates. Then you could call up your Mastering template, or song writing template, or your 'ALL' template, or whatever.

jonheal

28 Jul 2017

joeyluck wrote:
28 Jul 2017
JiggeryPokery wrote:
28 Jul 2017

I wish there was a way to do this with REs (disabling) without deleting them from your computer.

What I think would be even cooler would be a way to save a set of enabled REs/VSTs in templates. Then you could call up your Mastering template, or song writing template, or your 'ALL' template, or whatever.
Something I am going to try when I get home is (on WIndows) setting the visible property of RE folder to "hidden." If this works, I am sure there is a similar process on the Mac.
Jon Heal:reason: :re: :refill:Do not click this link!

avasopht
Competition Winner

28 Jul 2017

I've not even tried VSTs in Reason. I do have some great VSTs and I did buy some specifically to use in Reason, but for the time being what I have is more than enough.

I personally don't find the process of installing VSTs too bothersome. It's just like anything else. There are steps. Some steps are confusing. Some steps require configuration and problem solving.

All in all I do welcome them as it gives me options I did not have before, and I understand that this is uber important for some users.

Hauser+Quaid

28 Jul 2017

Oquasec wrote:
27 Jul 2017
They answered the external plugins thing with 7.
They integrated vsts into reason natively, which means now you can utilize cv connections.

Which is now a problem cuz they don't work that way in rewire unless you just do the old method with emi again lol.
They answered the external plugin INSTRUMENTS issue in v7. Totally different from integrating VST use. Up until v9.5 you couldn't process anything with Waves plugin or Fabfilter etc...

That's a key difference.

fieldframe
RE Developer

28 Jul 2017

JiggeryPokery wrote:
27 Jul 2017
tiker01 wrote:
27 Jul 2017

Hey JP!

How good you think the Arturia stuff is? They were tempting me with the 199$ offer recently but I haven't bought them. Tried 3 from the bundle but felt they were just a bunch of new toys. I am rather saving for Nostromo 2 and a new computer.

Cheers
TKR01
I just wanted their Arp 2600V really, but that bundle deal at £200 was difficult to pass up to get the lovely CS80V, and all the other synths too, even if, ultimately, they probably do all start to sound a bit alike (Synclavier aside, perhaps, that's pretty unique). So, they're all really good, but I wonder if anyone really needs all of them.

The big problem with getting a job lot I quickly realised is that ultimately, one probably doesn't have time to learn how to program any of them.

The organs I don't rate at all, although one might think "well, you would say that, wouldn't you?" ;), but I vastly prefer mine even if the samples make them a little more limited in tweakage. For the e-keys, their Wurlie is waaaaaaay better than that horrid whatever the hell it is trying to pass itself off as a Wurlie thing in Radical Keys (fans of the excellent Wurlie from Electromechanical will be heaven, it's that ... but even better); the Arturia Rhodes is pretty good too, but it's tougher to recommend over the one in RadKeys generally, but it is a rather more tweakable specifically, so that's more of a draw. Their acoustic piano is ok, but I happened to get an Addictive Keys license with my new Focusrite, so I got the Addictive Upright, which is right bloody marvellous.

Overall the Arturia is pretty good for synths and e-pianos. I don't feel anyone would be disappointed with the bundle at $200, even if some devices go unused; but only get anything if you actually need it, and it sounds to me like you kinda want it more than you need it ;)
I bought the collection at the beginning of the summer (on the NI promo) and I took a sort of methodical approach to the bundle: I've been installing the instruments one at a time, only moving on to the next one when I feel like I have a reasonable understanding of how to program each one. It's late July and I'm barely halfway through. :)

There is some natural overlap between a bunch of hardware that generates sound through subtractive synthesis, though there's something to be said for how the different design approaches of each device can guide you toward different kinds of experiments. You can certainly create some very similar patches between, say, the Jup-8 and the SEM, but there are things you'll be more likely to try on the Roland given the way its routing is set up, or things you'll gravitate toward on the Oberheim with its peculiarities like the combined oscillator shape/volume knobs. And then there are little things I can't quite explain, like how the CS-80's LFOs just sound like magic for some reason.

There are some I use more than others (can't stop playing with the Minimoog, while I agree the Vox is just not very inspiring). Still, it's nice having even the less-used ones on hand, and it's absolutely incredible being able to use them all alongside my rack devices.

If you need only two products in the bundle, though, at the sale price that's enough to justify merely wanting the other 14. ;)

XysteR

28 Jul 2017

Well it's a mixed bag of replies.

I have no problem with installing software, and I have an automated weekly backup for if anything went wrong.

My gripe was mainly with this 'paranoia' activation software that must be installed to activate a particular plugin and allow it to run, Waves, NI, etc. I have to have their crap installed and running on startup just to use those particular plugins. It seems people running pirated VST's clearly don't have to install this shite, and are ultimately having an easier time than me having bought and paid for all of my software, only to have to use my PC resources to satisfy VST developers paranoia.

Oh well, I suppose I'll have to get used to it.

AttenuationHz

28 Jul 2017

XysteR wrote:
28 Jul 2017

I have no problem with installing software, and I have an automated weekly backup for if anything went wrong.

My gripe was mainly with this 'paranoia' activation software that must be installed to activate a particular plugin and allow it to run, Waves, NI, etc. I have to have their crap installed and running on startup just to use those particular plugins. It seems people running pirated VST's clearly don't have to install this shite, and are ultimately having an easier time than me having bought and paid for all of my software, only to have to use my PC resources to satisfy VST developers paranoia.

Except you don't have to have it running on start up! :| The whole point of that blaotware is to authorize their software and have an easy place to search for their catalogue and have easy access to update your plug-ins when an update is available. Once its authorized you're done with the bloatware.
Last edited by AttenuationHz on 28 Jul 2017, edited 2 times in total.
It is not too much of an ask for people or things to be the best version of itself!

XysteR

28 Jul 2017

AttenuationHz wrote:
28 Jul 2017
XysteR wrote:
28 Jul 2017

Except you don't have to have it running on start up! :| The whole point of that blaotware is to authorize their software and have an easy place to search for their catalogue and have easy access to update your plug-ins when an update is available.
Ah I see, I just tried it and that seems to be the case. It's still a bit naff though, I bet it'll still have crap grinding away in a process somewhere.

AttenuationHz

28 Jul 2017

XysteR wrote:
28 Jul 2017
AttenuationHz wrote:
28 Jul 2017

Except you don't have to have it running on start up! :| The whole point of that blaotware is to authorize their software and have an easy place to search for their catalogue and have easy access to update your plug-ins when an update is available.
Ah I see, I just tried it and that seems to be the case. It's still a bit naff though, I bet it'll still have crap grinding away in a process somewhere.
I'd suggest installing Ccleaner and disabling whatever you don't want to start or use windows/mac options for start up items.
It is not too much of an ask for people or things to be the best version of itself!

fieldframe
RE Developer

28 Jul 2017

AttenuationHz wrote:
28 Jul 2017
XysteR wrote:
28 Jul 2017

Except you don't have to have it running on start up! :| The whole point of that blaotware is to authorize their software and have an easy place to search for their catalogue and have easy access to update your plug-ins when an update is available. Once its authorized you're done with the bloatware.
Ironically, It's Reason that actually has the constantly-running security system: the CodeMeter service is always running in the background (it loads as something called a kernel extension, or kext, on Mac; not sure what it does on Windows). Fortunately, it barely uses any resources, but it is a contrast to something like Native Access that only runs to authorize and deauthorize an install.

EdGrip

28 Jul 2017

The only paid VSTs I've bought (Valhalla VV and Uhe Repro) have simple one-time licensing mechanisms and small footprints. I'll never go for anything with convoluted and heavy full-time licensing systems (or anything that needs a dongle). So, that side of VSTs isn't a problem to me. I still have far, far more REs than VSTs and I suspect my plugin collection overall is comparatively small, but even so, scrolling through the effects section of the browser is becoming a tad tedious.
The biggest downside to me is simply stuff not being in the rack, stuff being in a pop-up window. Does my head in. But I appreciate that others prefer that to the rack, and I can see it gives devs less constraints when designing interfaces.
So it hasn't really impacted me much, but I am really glad to be able to access things like Uhe and Valhalla.

anthropomorphous

28 Jul 2017

I’m not sure I understand posts like these. It’s a new feature you can either use or not use. Reason like all DAWS is a set of tools, not a sequential method to produce a tune. It sounds a bit like, you kinda wish they didn’t include an adjustable spanner in this spanner set?
It’s what you want it to be depending on the way you work. I’m not going to ‘wish’ a tool in the toolkit hasn’t been included just because I don’t use that tool unless that tool, by its presence has ruined other tools in the kit that I do use. From what I’ve experienced so far, that hasn’t been the case. Yes I have Native Access and the Waves thing but they aren’t essential to running the program, only installing and authorising which is a one time thing unless you want to update the programs themselves or modules within but it’s not exactly rocket science. It’s a bit annoying because my audio PC is offline for the most part and I have to fiddle with wires and stuff to achieve this but it’s minimal hassle really and certainly not an amount of hassle where I would wish to question the validity of other users of that adjustable spanner when I know full well they are doing things with that spanner I could only dream off. I just don’t get it. But then I’m on beer number 3 xD It is Friday.

EDIT to correct NI access name.
Last edited by anthropomorphous on 28 Jul 2017, edited 1 time in total.

derekjerome

28 Jul 2017

I agree with you a bit. All these new logins and stuff are a little annoying. I think when you start you have all these different vst plugins but at some point you are going to scale back and only use the stuff you need. I'm glad that I now have access to tools everyone else has in their familiar daw to even the playing field.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jonheal

28 Jul 2017

jonheal wrote:
28 Jul 2017
joeyluck wrote:
28 Jul 2017

Something I am going to try when I get home is (on WIndows) setting the visible property of RE folder to "hidden." If this works, I am sure there is a similar process on the Mac.
For what it's worth, checking the "Hidden" checkbox on the File Properties dialog for a Rack Extension folder does in fact hide the Rack Extension from Reason's menus.
Jon Heal:reason: :re: :refill:Do not click this link!

AttenuationHz

28 Jul 2017

jonheal wrote:
28 Jul 2017
jonheal wrote:
28 Jul 2017

For what it's worth, checking the "Hidden" checkbox on the File Properties dialog for a Rack Extension folder does in fact hide the Rack Extension from Reason's menus.
Nice find!

Last Alternative

28 Jul 2017

Don't ask me why but I'm just now layering presets to make entirely new bass sounds and it's the coolest thing I've learned in a long while so yeah Trillian was severely a $300 impulse buy and now I deeply regret it, especially since I'm trying to pay off my car and also going to Florida next week. It's very nice, just turns out I don't need it. I don't need any VST's.
It's awesome for those who do though. I can't handle them crashing my work on a new computer though.
https://lastalternative.bandcamp.com
:reason: 12.7.4 | MacBook Pro (16”, 2021), OS Sonoma, M1 Max, 4TB SSD, 64GB RAM | quality instruments & gear

Oquasec

29 Jul 2017

Never had $$$ to spend on trillian to begin with, but I do spend alotta time tinkering in Reason with combinators.
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

etyrnal

29 Jul 2017

Vst sucks. It only subtracts from the propellerhead ecosystem

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Blast

29 Jul 2017

etyrnal wrote:
29 Jul 2017
Vst sucks. It only subtracts from the propellerhead ecosystem

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
Then Don't Use VST!!!!!! :lol:
UAD Plugins are awesome.

spikey

29 Jul 2017

got Trillian yesterday. Within the first hour of browsing thru patches it crashed Reason 3x and I lost what I was doing. So now I hit save on even more neurotic OCD intervals than before. WTF

Which has nothing to do with Trillian and everything to do with how they coded the VST wrapper in Reason.

Then Don't Use VST!!!!!! :lol:
UAD Plugins are awesome.
They would be if they would even run inside of Reason. Lots of work is needed yet I still have hope for Reason and VST support.

moneykube

29 Jul 2017

moneykube wrote:
28 Jul 2017
I am torn... still like racks better
did have a hell of a lot of fun with crystal though
I think vst was rushed and needs some bug fixes
too bad vacation time... seems to always time this way... been user since version 2 and rebirth
seen statements that were actually lies that they removed from the site... forum removal bad... not keen on all the app integration either... alhoopa... no for me... the information removed from forum was extremely valuable... still scratching my head on that terrible choice... hyperthreading does nothing for my work flow but slow it down
my big question... why fix something that works fine... and now has problems... seems rather Stupid
of course this seems to relate to mainly mac
my mac has way more power then the specs suggested...
Fast, stable internet connection for installation and registration required!
Intel Mac with dual core processor ... 2.8 intel core i7
4 GB RAM (8 GB or more recommended for large ReFills or Rack Extensions)... 16 gig 1600 mhz DDr3
4 GB free hard disk space (program may use up to 20 GB scratch disk space)... 100 mb space and more on external drives
Mac OS X 10.7 or later (64-bit)... yes
Monitor with at least 1280x768 resolution... yes
CoreAudio compliant audio interface or built-in audio hardware... yes
MIDI interface and a MIDI keyboard recommended... yes

so why are there these problems... beta test should have weeded them out
scrolling stutters... songs that used to work say to much processing to play now.... used but few racks... bounce to save resources ... and all the usually tricks... something is very wrong... and as popular belief suggests... no user error
fixed... damn apple upgrades
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!______________________
if apple tells you that you must update your computer to new os and new itunes to make an ipad work... don't listen to them... it's a lie.... ipad was fixed by removing ad block... new system they had me install made computer slower then carving stone tablets... apps crashed... wouldn't open... took a half hour to do any small task.... so I told apple I will revert to my old system... lie #2... they said that would solve nothing... yet... everything now works as it should... 4 days dealing with the "professionals" at apple... I could do a better job... they know nothing anymore... the downward slide is well underway.... um... grrr... and hurray I have a computer again

moneykube

30 Jul 2017

and still computer too slow for 3 tracks ? wow... fix please

• Information