spectrasonics omnisphere 2 how hungry is it?

Discuss VST stuff here!
Rectro

25 Jul 2017

Hi.

Im thinking of getting spectrasonics omnisphere 2, it sounds great, but do wonder how resource hungry it is, and how many will I be able to add to the rack before my system comes to a halt. I have noted that the latest version of reason is not as good regarding resourceful in the CPU usage, not sure if its just in my mind, but it certainly seems im getting more clitches than normal?

So back to spectrasonics omnisphere 2, would you recomend it, how hungry is it, and how many racks could I use.

My system is a Intel 5930k 6 core, 32gb ram, several SSD.

Thanks, Dan

modecca

25 Jul 2017

intel i7-4930k cpu &3.40 ghz
ram 16.0 gb; 6 dual cores

Using a low cpu patch, I was able to open up 26 running instances before the cpu shows the red bar.
Use hyper threading I can add an addition 6 instances.
🔗💥

Rectro

25 Jul 2017

modecca wrote:
25 Jul 2017
intel i7-4930k cpu &3.40 ghz
ram 16.0 gb; 6 dual cores

Using a low cpu patch, I was able to open up 26 running instances before the cpu shows the red bar.
Use hyper threading I can add an addition 6 instances.
Thanks, sounds like it will be fine for me as I cant see me using more that 10 or so, but maybe bigger patches. How long does patches take to load? I got that Waves piano demo and the patches took about 40 seconds to load for each change? Last question, do you have any tracks done with mainly this synth that I can listen to that show how well the sounds gel together in a mix?

Thanks, Dan

modecca

25 Jul 2017

Rectro wrote:
25 Jul 2017

Thanks, sounds like it will be fine for me as I cant see me using more that 10 or so, but maybe bigger patches. How long does patches take to load? I got that Waves piano demo and the patches took about 40 seconds to load for each change? Last question, do you have any tracks done with mainly this synth that I can listen to that show how well the sounds gel together in a mix?

Thanks, Dan
On MY computer most load immediately, with no delay.
No tracks used with the synth as I bought it years ago thinking I was going to do something with it in fl studio and hated the sequencer work flow there. I did get a chance to learn it though and it is easy to grasp. I have only just started making music with it inside of reason.
Kinda sux that you have to wait for it to come in the mail as most stuff you can download, but maybe that is partially due to all the incredible samples it comes with.
The plug in guru on YT has made tons of preset libraries for omnisphere that really demonstrate just how deep this thing can get.
🔗💥

Rectro

25 Jul 2017

Thanks.

I noticed in a few videos that my Novation sl mk2 keyboard is used to control this synth, I hope that there isnt any limitations that me using Reason may stop this from working such as there being no automap if it needs it?

Dan

EnochLight

25 Jul 2017

You guys are making me envious. I had setup to buy it second hand from a seller at KVR, he supposedly put in for the license transfer... and then disappeared. Very poor show (thanks for nothing @SoullessGemini)! :lol: :puf_bigsmile:

If I ever come across it for a deal, I may definitely jump on it, though. I'd love to use it in Reason.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

jonheal

25 Jul 2017

Rectro wrote:
25 Jul 2017
Thanks.

I noticed in a few videos that my Novation sl mk2 keyboard is used to control this synth, I hope that there isnt any limitations that me using Reason may stop this from working such as there being no automap if it needs it?

Dan
I don't know if I would count on that working in Reason.
Jon Heal:reason: :re: :refill:Do not click this link!

Rectro

26 Jul 2017

EnochLight wrote:
25 Jul 2017
You guys are making me envious. I had setup to buy it second hand from a seller at KVR, he supposedly put in for the license transfer... and then disappeared. Very poor show (thanks for nothing @SoullessGemini)! :lol: :puf_bigsmile:

If I ever come across it for a deal, I may definitely jump on it, though. I'd love to use it in Reason.
Hope you manage to get a licence, I would imagine that this comes up not that often. Along with Spire I cant think of any synth id ever need, I mean 12000 sounds, plus 3rd party patches, wow!. Id like to have got NI Complete but to get the full thing its way too expensive for me, Omnisphere sits right in the middle, but still is quite a bit of money although worth it.

Dan

Rectro

26 Jul 2017

jonheal wrote:
25 Jul 2017
Rectro wrote:
25 Jul 2017
Thanks.

Dan
I don't know if I would count on that working in Reason.
I think il contact Spectrasonics and ask how thei Novation was set up, as if its learn then I may stand a chance, but I think id still need a map file for it?

Dan

• Information