Best place to buy VST? Directly from developers or from an online store?

Discuss VST stuff here!
electrochoc (PRX-A)

19 Jul 2017

Hi!

Shopping for VSTs is new for me, and I was wondering if there are some advantages or inconvenients to buy all my VSTs from the same place (when possible). I'm used to the Propellerhead shop from where it is very easy to sync all my Rack Extensions. Would I get something similar if I buy all my VSTs from one online store? I'm mainly thinking about Plugin Boutique, which sells pretty much all the VSTs I'm currently looking for. Is it better to get all my VSTs from there (or a similar store), or should I buy them directly from the sites of the developers?
This comment is provided courtesy of PRX-A!

Oquasec

19 Jul 2017

kvr isn't the only place but honestly kvr.
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

EpiGenetik

20 Jul 2017

electrochoc (PRX-A) wrote:
19 Jul 2017
Shopping for VSTs is new for me, and I was wondering if there are some advantages or inconvenients to buy all my VSTs from the same place (when possible).
Not likely
19 Jul 2017
I'm used to the Propellerhead shop from where it is very easy to sync all my Rack Extensions.
Not possible.
19 Jul 2017
Would I get something similar if I buy all my VSTs from one online store?
No, see above.
19 Jul 2017
I'm mainly thinking about Plugin Boutique, which sells pretty much all the VSTs I'm currently looking for. Is it better to get all my VSTs from there (or a similar store), or should I buy them directly from the sites of the developers?
Ok, first up Sync All won't be possible outside of Propellerville because all your licences will need to be registered and stored on different company servers - so this is a no go unless a shop offers it specifically (not sure if the Prop Shop does this for VST's either) - it would be a huge hassle for shops to start offering this too.

As for where to buy, Google is your friend really, and you'll be surprised at the difference in savings at different locations - if you're in the EU it's not at all uncommon for US shops to be so much cheaper that they can ship it to you for less than a shop just down the road. It's actually pretty rare for the devs to be the cheapest on the market, though.

KVR and eBay are good for getting 2nd hand licenses a bit cheaper although typically it'll be an older version your getting so keep an eye on the upgrade cost and make sure that it actually is a bargain once that is factored in. Years ago, I used to do a lot of buying and selling NI stuff on eBay, making a bit of profit each time on what were essentially deeper and more extended trial periods. By the time I upgraded to Komplete (think it was 7), I pretty much got it for free - so don't just go charging in with your chequebook :)

....and of course, with that in mind, demo everything you like the look of first, and ask yourself if it will truly benefit you sonically, or possibly even if just the interface is so good that it beats something else.

Peace and good luck :)

groggy1

20 Jul 2017

I usually look at kvraudio for discussion of plugins.

And then I buy directly from manufacturer's website.

However, I have found a few good deals on pluginboutique, so been using that more and more lately...

Oquasec

20 Jul 2017

Kvr is one of the most organized/ Non fragmented places you'll see for handling vsts.
Producer/Programmer.

groggy1

20 Jul 2017

Oquasec wrote:
20 Jul 2017
Kvr is one of the most organized/ Non fragmented places you'll see for handling vsts.
Agree with you. The one thing I find surprising on KVR though is the plugin ratings - there are plugins from 5 years ago that are still on the top of the lists (like synthmaster, or fabfilter, Sylenth1). I think that's just because people really like them :) They do show top-ratings for past 30 days, but even that has all the old plugins as favorites. I guess it's just not what I would have guessed would have been the top-10 plugins. So nothing wrong with KVR here, it just always surprised me.

Oquasec

20 Jul 2017

Most people will rate the plugins they find to have the features they need at any given circumstance.
Sylenth1 is a plugin you should consider also.
Producer/Programmer.

Street Box Radio

20 Jul 2017

I try to never buy from the creator of the software. Unless its Waves. Not that I am avoiding them or anything, but they always seem to think their new woopdeewoop should cost $200 and they have a 10% sale after a year. Lets face it, its an EQ. I have 50 something EQ's and your's is still worth .Plugin Discounts. so much money? C'mon, I'm not that impressed with the curve

electrochoc (PRX-A)

20 Jul 2017

EpiGenetik wrote:
20 Jul 2017

Ok, first up Sync All won't be possible outside of Propellerville because all your licences will need to be registered and stored on different company servers - so this is a no go unless a shop offers it specifically (not sure if the Prop Shop does this for VST's either) - it would be a huge hassle for shops to start offering this too.
Oh! I was aware that it wouldn't be as easy with VSTs, notably because many of them have to be registered through the developer's web site! But when I look at the VST section of my Propellerhead (I got the free Waves's AudioTrack), I can at least my serial number, plus a link and instruction about how to register. I was wondering if buying plugins in places like Plugin Boutique would at least give me a list of all my purchases, with things like serial numbers, links and instructions, so I could somewhat "manage" all my VSTs from one place and more easily.
EpiGenetik wrote:
20 Jul 2017

KVR and eBay are good for getting 2nd hand licenses a bit cheaper although typically it'll be an older version your getting so keep an eye on the upgrade cost and make sure that it actually is a bargain once that is factored in.
Good tip! In fact, I'm so used to Rack Extensions and Propellerhead's non-transfert policy that I kinda forgot that we can buy second hand VSTs! I'll check that, while paying attention to what versions are advertised. On the other hand, I've already noticed that new licenses for some VSTs can go on massive sales from time to time (ex.: iZotope's BreakTweaker is 249$, but seems to regularly go on sale at 49$!). In those cases, I could maybe be just simpler to get a new license... But KVR is definitely one place I should look at more seriously!
EpiGenetik wrote:
20 Jul 2017

....and of course, with that in mind, demo everything you like the look of first, and ask yourself if it will truly benefit you sonically, or possibly even if just the interface is so good that it beats something else.

Peace and good luck :)
In fact, maybe I should not worry too much about having VST purchases dispersed around the web since I don't think I'll really purchase that much VSTs... Precisely because I'm only tempted with VSTs that really "benefit me sonically", like you said... For many of my more basic needs (effects, utilities, and even some kind of synths, like subtractive synths), I'm more likely to stick with Rack Extensions after all... The VSTs I'm looking at right now are things that have no real equivalent in Reason, like AAS's Chromophone 2 or Sonic Charge's MicroTonic...

Anyway, thanks for your tips! :puf_smile:
This comment is provided courtesy of PRX-A!

mcatalao
Competition Winner

24 Jul 2017

Even digital direct download stores will link you to the plug in store.

For the deals, I think the best option is to search for the best deal online when you want a given vsts. I just got ozone 7 and neutron for 242 eur. 3 eur more than ozone alone.

• Information