Sound breakup/hyperthreading/ UAD plugin

Discuss VST stuff here!
limbophonic

16 Jul 2017

I Use Universal audio twin apollo USB, and have updated to Reason 9.5.1 which now includes the use of hyperthreading,
but if i load any one of my UAD plugins, even into an empty project with buffer at 1024 my sound breaks up, glitching and slowing down!
I then decided to switch off hyperthreading and issue seems to have gone, so i'm wondering if my Carillon made PC has hyperthreading disabled?
my spec is windows 7 pro i7 6 core 32 gb ram,
anyone else having similar issue with hyperthreading?

jonheal

16 Jul 2017

If you do a search here on "hyperthreading," you will find 10,000 posts about it. Some positive; some negative.

It's a case of YMMV. And YM will probably V from project to project. It's a fuzzy subject.

Known issues with UA, stuff, too.
Jon Heal:reason: :re: :refill:Do not click this link!

EpiGenetik

16 Jul 2017

Hyperthreading isn't an exact science, and some CPU's do it better than others. My own i7 doesn't handle it at all well, and even on a top of the line Xeon you'll only get a small-ish benefit from it - about 20% speed improvement is considered excellent, but it's more likely to be a bit less. People tend to think that it'll double the PC processing power, but this is highly unrealistic - it's still the same number of physical cores regardless of logical core utilisation.

However, if you're wondering whether or not it is working, then restart your PC and go into the motherboards BIOS menu. Hyperthreading will be in there somewhere - I actually ended up turning mine off as it was doing more harm than good. Performance will vary though, and in some situations where you have a few hungry synths but not an excessive amount of them, you may still see some benefit.

• Information