Is There a Chord Pad VST?

Discuss VST stuff here!
Creativemind

01 Jul 2017

Hi All!

I've been scouring the internet in search of a Chord Pad / Slot type vst. Does anyone know of a vst that can allow you to just select or drag chords onto pads or into slots (maybe from a list) without knowing any theory?

I know there's Cthulu, ToneSpace Chord Generator, Auto Theory, Chordz and obviously the Scales & Chords player within Reason 9 and many others but none seem to do what I'm specifically looking for.

What I'm looking for is a VST (preferably free) that can allow you to assign chords (not based on any theory (you can go by knowledge of what chords go together or by ear) and just select from a list or drag 'n' drop the chords into slots or onto pads that will play when the pads are pressed / clicked with the mouse. Obviously it'll need a sound so don't know here, maybe it comes with a basic piano or sawtooth setting or a few patches. That's all I want.

I play guitar and want to be able to play a chord sequence, say Am, C, D, F and then if I want that on a Thor patch, I can assign those chords to the slots or pads regardless of theory or anything and then it'll play them when I press the pads then I can paste them into the sequencer and drag them to the Thor lane afterwards.

Does Reason 9.5 allow me to copy / paste notes to track? If not then I'll use in another daw.

This is loosely based on Chorder and Chord Assistant in Cubase.

Another thing that would be handy is choosing a chord type like minor7th and it allowing me to play a m7th up and down the keys on my midi controller. I know Rob Papen's Predator allows you to do this by manually playing the chord in or individually playing the notes within the chord and then will allow you play that chord up and down the keyboard. Funds are tight at the moment though and was wondering if there was a free vst that did this. Nothing I can find so far is quite what I'm looking for.

Thanks!
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

Creativemind

02 Jul 2017

Just been watching the Chord Mode for Rob Papen's Predator...another great idea. Some of these ideas need adding to the Scales and Chords Player.

Ahornberg

02 Jul 2017

Why not use Chorder and Chord Assistant in Cubase and rewire Reason?

A free VSTs I know is ChordSpace http://www.chordspace.com/ChordSpaceindex.htm but it does not produce sound.

And there is Liquid Notes http://re-compose.com/liquid-notes-music-software.html it's a stand alone app and not free but woth checking out.

Oquasec

02 Jul 2017

Cv matrix/rpg-8 or players.
Or built in ones in other daws [rewire]
Or the chording rack extensions.
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

Creativemind

02 Jul 2017

Ahornberg wrote:
02 Jul 2017
Why not use Chorder and Chord Assistant in Cubase and rewire Reason?

A free VSTs I know is ChordSpace http://www.chordspace.com/ChordSpaceindex.htm but it does not produce sound.

And there is Liquid Notes http://re-compose.com/liquid-notes-music-software.html it's a stand alone app and not free but woth checking out.
Thanks mate, will check them out.

Cubase 8 or higher...sorry but don't have it and can't afford to buy it.

Ahornberg

02 Jul 2017

I know your situation very well. My first instrument too was the guitar and I remember all the hours sitting in front of a keyboard with the guitar in my hands figuring out how to play a particular chord on the keys. And I tested all that chord generating tools ... but the only thing that really helped me was improving my piano skills. So I don't rely on scale & chord players any more and I rarely use the quantice function.

Oquasec

02 Jul 2017

only instruments I'm comfy with are piano and percussion instruments.
I own some digital guitar plugins however.
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

etyrnal

18 Nov 2017

Creativemind wrote:Hi All!

I've been scouring the internet in search of a Chord Pad / Slot type vst. Does anyone know of a vst that can allow you to just select or drag chords onto pads or into slots (maybe from a list) without knowing any theory?

I know there's Cthulu, ToneSpace Chord Generator, Auto Theory, Chordz and obviously the Scales & Chords player within Reason 9 and many others but none seem to do what I'm specifically looking for.

What I'm looking for is a VST (preferably free) that can allow you to assign chords (not based on any theory (you can go by knowledge of what chords go together or by ear) and just select from a list or drag 'n' drop the chords into slots or onto pads that will play when the pads are pressed / clicked with the mouse. Obviously it'll need a sound so don't know here, maybe it comes with a basic piano or sawtooth setting or a few patches. That's all I want.

I play guitar and want to be able to play a chord sequence, say Am, C, D, F and then if I want that on a Thor patch, I can assign those chords to the slots or pads regardless of theory or anything and then it'll play them when I press the pads then I can paste them into the sequencer and drag them to the Thor lane afterwards.

Does Reason 9.5 allow me to copy / paste notes to track? If not then I'll use in another daw.

Another thing that would be handy is choosing a chord type like minor7th and it allowing me to play a m7th up and down the keys on my midi controller. I know Rob Papen's Predator allows you to do this by manually playing the chord in or individually playing the notes within the chord and then will allow you play that chord up and down the keyboard. Funds are tight at the moment though and was wondering if there was a free vst that did this. Nothing I can find so far is quite what I'm looking for.

Thanks!
I've been looking for that exact same functionality too. I'd like to find a machine that lets you program several slots where you manually by hand play in the notes of a chord and then that gets programmed as one slat then you program the next slap and you manually play in the notes of a cord into that slot, Etc until the slots are filled or you have as many as you need, and then as the sequences running you press a key on your keyboard to trigger the different cord slots.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Creativemind

18 Nov 2017

etyrnal wrote:
18 Nov 2017
Creativemind wrote:Hi All!

Thanks!
I've been looking for that exact same functionality too. I'd like to find a machine that lets you program several slots where you manually by hand play in the notes of a chord and then that gets programmed as one slat then you program the next slap and you manually play in the notes of a cord into that slot, Etc until the slots are filled or you have as many as you need, and then as the sequences running you press a key on your keyboard to trigger the different cord slots.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
Yeah that would be good too but mines slightly different. Choose the chords for each slot / pad from a list. Chord type, note and octave.

QVprod

18 Nov 2017

Creativemind wrote:
02 Jul 2017
Just been watching the Chord Mode for Rob Papen's Predator...another great idea. Some of these ideas need adding to the Scales and Chords Player.

The only edge this has over the Scales and Chord player is the strum function but that's easily solvable by just putting the Note Echo player in front of scales and chords. Adjusting the step length will adjust the strum. Setting up chords as in this video only allows you to play one kind of chord across all keys. If you want to program chords that way then Chordset is a great option allowing you to program up to 12 chords per instance. https://shop.propellerheads.se/rack-extension/chordset/

As far as a customizable chord trigger without theory knowledge (which perhaps is the downside of Scales and Chords not being able to manually choose chords), the best option is probably Tonespace. http://www.mucoder.net/en/tonespace/
It's free and may be your best bet since midi fx plugins currently aren't usable in Reason. The only downside here is you would need to use virtual midi to route it's midi output to instruments in Reason. I can't remember if midi out from plugins work in Reason though.

Creativemind

21 Nov 2017

QVprod wrote:
18 Nov 2017

As far as a customizable chord trigger without theory knowledge (which perhaps is the downside of Scales and Chords not being able to manually choose chords), the best option is probably Tonespace. http://www.mucoder.net/en/tonespace/
It's free and may be your best bet since midi fx plugins currently aren't usable in Reason. The only downside here is you would need to use virtual midi to route it's midi output to instruments in Reason. I can't remember if midi out from plugins work in Reason though.
Can't you have 1 chord play up and down the keyboard on Tonespace then? Think Chordset only allows 1 chord doesn't it?

Just playing Tonespace now. Very nice VST.

QVprod

21 Nov 2017

Creativemind wrote:
21 Nov 2017
ChordSet only allows 1 chord doesn't it?
No, like I said in the last reply, Chordset let’s you program 12 different chords. One for every root note. C-B. Doesn’t allow for multiple chords on the same note but you can create a progression with it.

• Information