Best Tape Saturation Plug-in (Waves or other), Console

Discuss VST stuff here!
mbfrancis

28 Jun 2017

Since there doesn't seem to be any decent tape saturation coming to the RE market, um, ever, I'm wondering what you VSTs you guys are using. I've heard VTM, Kramer, J37, Satin, PSP (still?), etc. Do you like is on the bus or individual tracks?

Also, what have you found more useful, tape saturation or console emulations (VCC, NLS), if you had to pick one to start.

Some crazy deals at Waves right now, figured I'd ask.
Producer, songwriter, multi-instrumentalist. I make indie pop as Port Streets, 90s/shoegaze as Swooner, and Electro as Yours Mine.

davidvilla

28 Jun 2017

I put the Slate VCC on every mix channel and the Mixbuss on the master. It's a very subtle difference that'll make you think it's not even doing anything but then you'll miss it when you take it out.

For more "noticeable" saturation, here are my top 3 (which I use):

1. Klanghelm SDRR - 23 € / $26: https://klanghelm.com/contents/products/SDRR/SDRR.php
Screen Shot 2017-06-28 at 8.23.16 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-06-28 at 8.23.16 PM.png (419.97 KiB) Viewed 12617 times
A no-brainer at this price. Colorful character, lots of controls if you like to tinker, 4 different saturation models. Adds nice glue, depth, and most importantly, liveliness.

2. Kush Omega A - $29: http://www.thehouseofkush.com/plugins/omega-458a
Screen Shot 2017-06-28 at 8.23.38 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-06-28 at 8.23.38 PM.png (237.56 KiB) Viewed 12617 times
Listen to the audio demos. That's all I gotta say. Also, Kush are going to release an update next week that will dramatically decrease CPU usage. As it is right now, I wouldn't use it much in Reason because of Reason's performance issues, but in Logic this is a dream.

3. Waves Kramer Master Tape - $35 at https://plugindiscounts.com/product/kra ... pe-native/
Screen Shot 2017-06-28 at 8.43.23 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-06-28 at 8.43.23 PM.png (191.63 KiB) Viewed 12617 times
This really is one of the better tape machines out there. It thickens up your sound nicely. Look at the manual and read up on how they modeled this - it's very impressive, they didn't mess around. It's also the cheapest tape machine out of the big three (Slate, Satin, and the other Waves tape plugins). I also have the Slate, but this one has a permanent spot on my Reason master channel.

Honorable mentions:

Uhe's Satin - too CPU intensive to use in Reason, but fantastic sound.
XLN's Retro Color - this is like Audiomatic, but with detailed options and a much better sound.
Wave Arts' old Tube Saturator - free: http://wavearts.com/products/plugins/tu ... r-vintage/

Pralijah

29 Jun 2017

Anyone compared with Softube´s "Tape"?
Make music shake again!

Pralijah

29 Jun 2017

Make music shake again!

Flandersh

29 Jun 2017

I use both console emulation and tape emulation in the mix (See picture for an example of a set up). For the console emulation I usually use Slate VCC, and for the tape I use for the moment Acustica Audio Nebula 3 with the STUD a810 tape library from signaltonoize.

With the Waves sales now on, I tested their emulations and found J37 great and Kramer Master Tape not. For a cheaper one, the TB Reelbus is also worth to consider.

Marco Raaphorst

29 Jun 2017

what do you need the tape to do? hiss, wow & flutter, overdrive?

imo hiss and wow & flutter is something I don't like mostly (unless I want lo-fi). overdrive can be done with most Reason devices. it's odd saturation. I often use the echo for this.

FLVZ

29 Jun 2017

davidvilla wrote:
28 Jun 2017
I put the Slate VCC on every mix channel and the Mixbuss on the master. It's a very subtle difference that'll make you think it's not even doing anything but then you'll miss it when you take it out.

For more "noticeable" saturation, here are my top 3 (which I use):

1. Klanghelm SDRR - 23 € / $26: https://klanghelm.com/contents/products/SDRR/SDRR.php

A no-brainer at this price. Colorful character, lots of controls if you like to tinker, 4 different saturation models. Adds nice glue, depth, and most importantly, liveliness.

2. Kush Omega A - $29: http://www.thehouseofkush.com/plugins/omega-458a

Screen Shot 2017-06-28 at 8.23.38 PM.png

Listen to the audio demos. That's all I gotta say. Also, Kush are going to release an update next week that will dramatically decrease CPU usage. As it is right now, I wouldn't use it much in Reason because of Reason's performance issues, but in Logic this is a dream.

3. Waves Kramer Master Tape - $35 at https://plugindiscounts.com/product/kra ... pe-native/

Screen Shot 2017-06-28 at 8.43.23 PM.png

This really is one of the better tape machines out there. It thickens up your sound nicely. Look at the manual and read up on how they modeled this - it's very impressive, they didn't mess around. It's also the cheapest tape machine out of the big three (Slate, Satin, and the other Waves tape plugins). I also have the Slate, but this one has a permanent spot on my Reason master channel.

Honorable mentions:

Uhe's Satin - too CPU intensive to use in Reason, but fantastic sound.
XLN's Retro Color - this is like Audiomatic, but with detailed options and a much better sound.
Wave Arts' old Tube Saturator - free: http://wavearts.com/products/plugins/tu ... r-vintage/
I second you on Kramer's tape, it will forever be on the master strip now! I also set up as a send fx for some lo-fi colour and and compression when a sound is a bit bitey!

Marco Raaphorst

29 Jun 2017

check out this cheap one, which I think is amazing:
http://www.toneboosters.com/tb-reelbus/

mbfrancis

29 Jun 2017

Thanks everyone for your feedback, very helpful. Seems like split between J37 and Kramer on the Waves side.
Marco Raaphorst wrote:
29 Jun 2017
what do you need the tape to do? hiss, wow & flutter, overdrive?

imo hiss and wow & flutter is something I don't like mostly (unless I want lo-fi). overdrive can be done with most Reason devices. it's odd saturation. I often use the echo for this.
I'm not sure how to answer this. In the past I've used PSP Vintage Warmer and more recently the saturation in Harrison Mixbus. Both added significant warmth to tracks, hard to explain. I'm not sure how much of that was overdrive vs wow & flutter vs hiss. I've tried Echo (after reading your blog post) and it's not the same, I don't think. I usually run Thor through the Softube Saturation Knob by default, but I hate that it raises the gain...makes it hard to A/B. It's also not quite the warmth I want, too harsh.
Last edited by mbfrancis on 29 Jun 2017, edited 1 time in total.
Producer, songwriter, multi-instrumentalist. I make indie pop as Port Streets, 90s/shoegaze as Swooner, and Electro as Yours Mine.

SA Studio

29 Jun 2017

Just to save people time, Kramer Tape is a lil bit of a joke in many producer/engineer circles.

It's one of the first tape sims to come out and under the hood, it's a light distortion device with a slap back echo, mild compression, and a wow and flutter effect for.....well, sounding like crap.

It also features awesome moving "reels" on screen. :? Kramer Tape is thus best used as an effect of sorts on things like drums busses or vox busses and you use it for grit/distortion. There's literally one preset I would ever use on the 2-bus called "Subtle Mastering Compression" and that was it.

I do not own Slate Tape but when I've watched my friend who has it use it, from the co-pilot seat, the thing always sounded like I waished Kramer did = A smoothing sort of compression with warm body.

Just my two cents = Don't watse your time with Kramer unless you're looking for a distortion unit :|

cosignsessions

29 Jun 2017

All the stuff listed on this link is free (supported by Patreon). The Airwindows 'Iron Oxide Classic' is a cleaner tape sim and 'Iron Oxide 5' is dirty with a lot of character. For a full 'analog' experience with Airwindows use the free 'Console 4' / 'Busscolors' / 'Iron Oxide Classic' or version 5. No pretty GUIs. Just move the sliders until it sounds good. Sometimes I find that 'Busscolors' gives me all I am looking for!

http://www.airwindows.com/

mbfrancis

29 Jun 2017

SA Studio wrote:
29 Jun 2017
Just to save people time, Kramer Tape is a lil bit of a joke in many producer/engineer circles.

It's one of the first tape sims to come out and under the hood, it's a light distortion device with a slap back echo, mild compression, and a wow and flutter effect for.....well, sounding like crap.

It also features awesome moving "reels" on screen. :? Kramer Tape is thus best used as an effect of sorts on things like drums busses or vox busses and you use it for grit/distortion. There's literally one preset I would ever use on the 2-bus called "Subtle Mastering Compression" and that was it.

I do not own Slate Tape but when I've watched my friend who has it use it, from the co-pilot seat, the thing always sounded like I waished Kramer did = A smoothing sort of compression with warm body.

Just my two cents = Don't watse your time with Kramer unless you're looking for a distortion unit :|
Hey Ras...thanks for this - so you don't use *any* tape sim in your work? What do you use in Reason?

CaliforniaBurrito

24 Jul 2017

mbfrancis wrote:
28 Jun 2017
Some crazy deals at Waves right now, figured I'd ask.
I've been wondering about tape for a while too but J37 is only $29 today so I'll probably just take that plunge.

http://www.waves.com/plugins/j37-tape#b ... y-bush-j37

dvdrtldg

24 Jul 2017

davidvilla wrote:
28 Jun 2017

I checked this one out and bought it a week ago. Liking it a lot - as you say, heaps of character and very versatile, lots of options for shaping the sound (I love the even/odd harmonic balance) but still a very simple and logical interface, you don't need a PhD to figure the thing out. My third Klanghelm purchase, they do great plugins at very reasonable prices

slightlyprog

24 Jul 2017

I was very keen to try some of these tape sim VSTs but now I have tried a few as well as various other analog simulation devices and have come to a few conclusions.

For saturation effects, adding harmonics for 'warmth' and / or adding some life to a sound I go straight for things like the Klanghelm or the Kush mentioned previously. I have the SDRR and Omega 458 and they are both great for adding just the right type of subtle overdrive, character etc. and you can really dial in exactly what you want from super subtle to fuzz and anywhere inbetween.

Regarding tape sims, in the reading that I have done on other forums it has become largely a matter of personal taste these days, with different people having their favs and comparing them to their own very individual experiences with real tape etc.

The Nebula does seem to be well spoken of and it operates in a completely different and unique way compared to the others. I bought the Kramer on sale and have a trial version of the Black Rooster one. The BRA 'Magnetite' has more variation and can be more extreme than the Kramer.

None of those tape sims I have heard as yet will do what real tape does with the highs. Real tape has a smoothing effect on the high end that is not always the same as just EQ ing it down. I have found another device that can smooth the high frequencies in what appears to be a similar way (although unlike tape it is pretty much completely transparent and totally clean). It's called 'De Edger' by Ohlhorst Digital, sold by Tokyo Dawn Labs.

Marco Raaphorst

25 Jul 2017

check out this super interesting blog in 3 parts by Toneboosters which goes into all aspects of tape grittiness :

http://www.toneboosters.com/reelproject1/
http://www.toneboosters.com/reelproject2/
http://www.toneboosters.com/reelproject3/

Marco Raaphorst

25 Jul 2017

cosignsessions wrote:
29 Jun 2017
All the stuff listed on this link is free (supported by Patreon). The Airwindows 'Iron Oxide Classic' is a cleaner tape sim and 'Iron Oxide 5' is dirty with a lot of character. For a full 'analog' experience with Airwindows use the free 'Console 4' / 'Busscolors' / 'Iron Oxide Classic' or version 5. No pretty GUIs. Just move the sliders until it sounds good. Sometimes I find that 'Busscolors' gives me all I am looking for!

http://www.airwindows.com/
You can get that treble-erode noise (Airwindows) using the AM input of the Pulveriser. It's another magical thing for dirtier things up IMO.

slightlyprog

25 Jul 2017

I tried the Airwindows Iron Oxide 5 but in Reason I don't see any way to change any settings. The Airwindows plugins have no GUI, so the DAW creates a very basic panel to change settings. Reason, however, does not do this, at least not for me! I can run it in Harrison Mixbus and get a little panel of sliders but in Reason I get nothing, I can run it and I think it works OK but have zero control over it. is there some trick to this?

Zac

25 Jul 2017

slightlyprog wrote:
25 Jul 2017
I tried the Airwindows Iron Oxide 5 but in Reason I don't see any way to change any settings. The Airwindows plugins have no GUI, so the DAW creates a very basic panel to change settings. Reason, however, does not do this, at least not for me! I can run it in Harrison Mixbus and get a little panel of sliders but in Reason I get nothing, I can run it and I think it works OK but have zero control over it. is there some trick to this?
See this for combinators of the air windows plugs...
viewtopic.php?f=48&t=7501563&hilit=Airwindows

mbfrancis

25 Jul 2017

Marco Raaphorst wrote:
25 Jul 2017
You can get that treble-erode noise (Airwindows) using the AM input of the Pulveriser. It's another magical thing for dirtier things up IMO.
Hey Marco, what's the AM input? Love the pulverizer, I always try it second (after Softube Saturation).

Marco Raaphorst

25 Jul 2017

mbfrancis wrote:
25 Jul 2017
Marco Raaphorst wrote:
25 Jul 2017
Hey Marco, what's the AM input? Love the pulverizer, I always try it second (after Softube Saturation).
Amplitude Modulation (volume). See back of device.

mbfrancis

25 Jul 2017

Marco Raaphorst wrote:
25 Jul 2017
mbfrancis wrote:
25 Jul 2017

Um...I did - you mean the follower?

Marco Raaphorst

26 Jul 2017

mbfrancis wrote:
25 Jul 2017
Marco Raaphorst wrote:
25 Jul 2017

Um...I did - you mean the follower?
No, the volume input on the back. See https://melodiefabriek.com/blog/amplitu ... ulveriser/

Kalm

26 Jul 2017

I'm a die hard fan of Klanghelm's SDRR on all my busses. Saturation Knob for individual channels. I will be picking up Softube's Tape soon.
Courtesy of The Brew | Watch My Tutorials | Mac Mini Intel i7 Quad-Core | 16 GB RAM | Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB | Reason 11 Suite | Studio One 5 Professional | Presonus Quantum | Komplete Kontrol 49 MK2 | Event Opals | Follow me on Instagram

LABONERECORDINGS
RE Developer

26 Jul 2017

Been using Slate VTM a lot lately, it does a really good job of giving that retro sort of sound that eq'ing simply just can't do (or without a great deal of EQ and dynamic distortion etc).

Been using it to record multi tracked Addictive Drums with a Slate VTM (16 track mode) on each channel, then from the tape going into VCC (using Neve console), then the drum buss has VMB (also on Neve) into a final VTM (using the 2 track mode) finally topped off with Abbey Road Vinyl.

Why? We'll we're creating our own drum breaks and want to get some sort of authenticity about the sound we're making, usual slower tempo, then resample and pitch up for more 'crate-digging' sound style when we reuse them. Also this makes stuff copyright free and 100% unique, using today's power and tech to create sounds of yesteryear, only better (because our speaker systems help out more).

Did see the J37 but read more into it and decided it wasn't for us

We like tape for that saturation sound too, over cook and you'll know so ease off and sound great. Our view anyway

• Information