Arturia V Collection 50% off

Discuss VST stuff here!
User avatar
Libraquaricorn
Posts: 327
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 22 Jun 2017

https://www.arturia.com/thesoundconstellation

At 50% off, I guess this bundle is a steal, but I'm wondering how these instruments perform within Reason. They look like pretty cpu hungy beasts. Ive been wanting the Jupiter 8 and the Oberheim SEM since Reason 9.5 was launched., so if I was ever to grab them, the time is now.

User avatar
ScottieByNature
Posts: 19
Joined: 06 Jan 2017

Post 22 Jun 2017

I picked this bundle up at this price through a third party vendor not long ago, and I've been so glad I did. I love the sounds they produce, and the preset browsers make it easy to find what I'm looking for. So far I've had very little issue running them as VSTs in Reason. I haven't done any real stress testing on it, but they don't seem much more CPU-hungry than any other VST or RE I've been working with. I'd definitely recommend snagging this collection at this price.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk


User avatar
Libraquaricorn
Posts: 327
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 22 Jun 2017

ScottieByNature wrote:
22 Jun 2017
I picked this bundle up at this price through a third party vendor not long ago, and I've been so glad I did. I love the sounds they produce, and the preset browsers make it easy to find what I'm looking for. So far I've had very little issue running them as VSTs in Reason. I haven't done any real stress testing on it, but they don't seem much more CPU-hungry than any other VST or RE I've been working with. I'd definitely recommend snagging this collection at this price.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Well, then I guess this is a no-brainer, with me receiving my tax refund today and all. Thanks for your assurance!

Image

User avatar
fieldframe
Posts: 758
Joined: 19 Apr 2016

Post 22 Jun 2017

Ha, Arturia must have gotten the sales figures back from the NI sale and said "let's do that again!"

I'm consistently surprised at how well V Collection works with Reason. I don't know how they get such a convincing MiniMoog sound while barely using any more CPU than most REs.

There are a couple of minor things I've run into: The VSTs don't share the patch list with Reason (though the Arturia patch browser is much better suited to the number of presets that are included). I've also had one instance where Jup-8 V started acting weirdly and crashed Reason, but apart from that it's been fast and stable.

Overall, I highly recommend V Collection for use with Reason. The UI walks a smart line between faithfully representing the experience of using classic gear and giving you the niceties of a modern soft synth, whether it's throwing a pop-out mod matrix onto a MiniMoog or letting you pull off a "cover" to tweak the individual voice architecture of a CS-80. I suppose that design philosophy of "like hardware, only better" is very familiar to Reason users. :)
The Iron Law of Reason forums: All topics eventually turn into feature request threads; the only difference is how many posts it takes.

Looking for UI design? DM me for a portfolio.

User avatar
Libraquaricorn
Posts: 327
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 22 Jun 2017

I'm a bit overwhelmed right now but absolutely amazed by the quality of these instruments. It's like someone just let me into a synth museum. It all seems to be working pretty flawlessly as well. At this price it's a total bargain and I'll be busy now for weeks learning these instruments.

Q: Is there an easy way to to "reset" these instruments? Some have init patches but they don't load when the instrument is launched. Some do not seem to have init patches. I probably have to read a bit of manual and spend some time to get used to the Arturia architecture

User avatar
fieldframe
Posts: 758
Joined: 19 Apr 2016

Post 22 Jun 2017

Libraquaricorn wrote:
22 Jun 2017
I'm a bit overwhelmed right now but absolutely amazed by the quality of these instruments. It's like someone just let me into a synth museum. It all seems to be working pretty flawlessly as well. At this price it's a total bargain and I'll be busy now for weeks learning these instruments.

Q: Is there an easy way to to "reset" these instruments? Some have init patches but they don't load when the instrument is launched. Some do not seem to have init patches. I probably have to read a bit of manual and spend some time to get used to the Arturia architecture
That's actually one of the details I love about V Collection: There's more than one init. Click the "template" filter in the patch browser and you'll get a variety of inits to start from depending on what kind of patch you want to make
The Iron Law of Reason forums: All topics eventually turn into feature request threads; the only difference is how many posts it takes.

Looking for UI design? DM me for a portfolio.

User avatar
Libraquaricorn
Posts: 327
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 23 Jun 2017

fieldframe wrote:
22 Jun 2017

That's actually one of the details I love about V Collection: There's more than one init. Click the "template" filter in the patch browser and you'll get a variety of inits to start from depending on what kind of patch you want to make
Thank you for the tip and, yes, having multiple inits does sound useful, especially with the more complex machines, like the mindblowing Matrix 12. Can't wait to get home from work....!

User avatar
CephaloPod
Posts: 264
Joined: 16 Jan 2015

Post 23 Jun 2017

VSTs in Reason is going to bankrupt some of us...
2011 iMac i7; 24 GB RAM; OSX Sierra; Nektar LX 49; MOTU Microbook
Reason/Logic

User avatar
modecca
Posts: 732
Joined: 07 Jul 2016

Post 23 Jun 2017

Trond your gunna be my guinea pig on this.
If you are still singing its praises in 17 days 4 hours and 51 minutes, I might consider picking this up myself.
I have been pretty content with the vsts I have purchased before reason offered vst support(reaktor/synplant!!/omnisphere), but this looks pretty tempting.
👀 I don't think there is anyway in hell I am not gunna be picking up Harmor in the near future.
👃
👅
¡ɹǝɥʇoɥɔɐǝ ɟo doʇ uo pǝʞɔɐʇs llɐ 'sǝɹuǝƃ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟᴉp 9 uᴉ 'sƃuos ʇuǝɹǝɟɟᴉp 9 oʇ ƃuᴉuǝʇsᴉl ɟo soɐɥɔ ƃuᴉɯlɐɔ ǝɥʇ ǝʞᴉl ƃuᴉɥʇou sᴉ ǝɹǝɥ┴

Hauser+Quaid
Posts: 147
Joined: 06 Jun 2017

Post 23 Jun 2017

I've always wanted to pick this collection up but every time I've had money to spare or the right opportunity came along, it just didn't fill a need. Sadly that's the case again right now but I still highly recommend these to anyone who doesn't already have synths like them. I used them extensively back a good number of years ago and I demo'ed the latest versions fairly recently and I wasn't disappointed.

Like I said, the only reason I don't own them right now is because I have bigger gaps to fill.

User avatar
Libraquaricorn
Posts: 327
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 24 Jun 2017

modecca wrote:
23 Jun 2017
Trond your gunna be my guinea pig on this.
If you are still singing its praises in 17 days 4 hours and 51 minutes, I might consider picking this up myself.
I have been pretty content with the vsts I have purchased before reason offered vst support(reaktor/synplant!!/omnisphere), but this looks pretty tempting.
👀 I don't think there is anyway in hell I am not gunna be picking up Harmor in the near future.
👃
👅
Ok, I'll be your pig. Mo'. I'm still singing those praises, but in a continuous state of shock and awe, or like a kid that just woke up and found himself in Santa's workshop. The instruments almost feel as heavy as the ones they emulate and when working with them they take up a LOT of screen "real estate". The heaviness-feeling is also strengthen by the fact that they take a long time to move into the studio. I've seen it take up to 20 seconds from draging one of them into the rack, until it's ready to go. So far Reason has crashed once. That happened when I had three of the instruments in the rack and tried to delete one of them. Not a single grain of regret though. If you are into rare, vintage gear that you'll never get your hands on in real life, then this is the bundle for you. If your not, then I don't know..... I'll report back when I've actually tried to use some of these in a production. I guess I should pick one at this point and try to learn that on a deeper level. I'll stick to the CS-80 for the rest of the weekend and see how it goes. Just look at that BEAST:
Image

User avatar
Libraquaricorn
Posts: 327
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 24 Jun 2017

Here's a very casual and cheesy stress test jam i just did.

It's 4 instances of the CS80 and a D16 emulation of the TR-606, called Nitonhat.
Each instrument has its own instance of the Cakewalk RE2A Leveling Amplifier on their channels and all are routed to a bus with a McDSP c670 compressor and a Waves H-Reverb. One of the CS-80s also has an Audiothing Outer Space delay on its channel for some dubby delay.
The usual filters are applied on all channel strips and the Reason Master Bus compressor is turned on. On the Master Section i have an instance of the Kramer Master Tape for some gentle saturation, followed by an instance of the Onyx 430i Tube Limiter in its default limiting mode. Finally, I use a Flower Audio Loudness Meter for metering .

The audio in the video is the exported reason file with everything recorded in midi, automations and all, and it's on the edge of what my system can take and if i scrolled up and down I did hear crackles. But it's like 5 instrument plugins - some of them with inbuilt effects -, 3 effect plugins, 8 effect REs and a utility RE + the Master Bus compressor, so I guess it's not too bad.

My system is:

Windows 10 Home, Intel (R) Core(TM) i5-4460 CPU @ 3.20GHz 3.20 GHz
8,00 GB RAM

My apologies for the cheesyness:

User avatar
modecca
Posts: 732
Joined: 07 Jul 2016

Post 24 Jun 2017

Libraquaricorn wrote:
24 Jun 2017
Here's a very casual and cheesy stress test jam i just did.
This song floats in sync with nostalgic imagery and utilizes keyboard playing that you would hope to see with someone using these vintage synths.

¡ɹǝɥʇoɥɔɐǝ ɟo doʇ uo pǝʞɔɐʇs llɐ 'sǝɹuǝƃ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟᴉp 9 uᴉ 'sƃuos ʇuǝɹǝɟɟᴉp 9 oʇ ƃuᴉuǝʇsᴉl ɟo soɐɥɔ ƃuᴉɯlɐɔ ǝɥʇ ǝʞᴉl ƃuᴉɥʇou sᴉ ǝɹǝɥ┴

User avatar
Libraquaricorn
Posts: 327
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 24 Jun 2017

modecca wrote:
24 Jun 2017
Libraquaricorn wrote:
24 Jun 2017
Here's a very casual and cheesy stress test jam i just did.
This song floats in sync with nostalgic imagery and utilizes keyboard playing that you would hope to see with someone using these vintage synths.

Gee, I wish I had put some more heart into it now, but you certainly made me LOL , yet again. I have sort of saved watching True Blood for a rainy day, but I guess the real intro will never feel right after this.... :lol:

User avatar
Libraquaricorn
Posts: 327
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 09 Jul 2017

modecca wrote:
23 Jun 2017
Trond your gunna be my guinea pig on this.
If you are still singing its praises in 17 days 4 hours and 51 minutes, I might consider picking this up myself.
I have been pretty content with the vsts I have purchased before reason offered vst support(reaktor/synplant!!/omnisphere), but this looks pretty tempting.
👀 I don't think there is anyway in hell I am not gunna be picking up Harmor in the near future.
👃
👅
So, Modecca...with one day left of this offer I thought I'd better give you a heads up - in my position as your assigned guinea pig and all - about my feelings surrounding the aftermath of purchasing this bundle of instruments from Arturia. I must say that if I was offered the money back at this point, I would definitely decline. So far, I must say I've only scraped the surface of the actual content of this bundle and even that has been totally worth the price I paid. The bundle offer-price is cheaper than buying two of these instruments individually, and here you get seventeen of them, so the value is unquestionable. The ARP 2600 emulation included is probably worth the price alone. I now feel that I could approach a hardware version of the 2600 and know how to operate it because of the time I've spent with the Arturia version, and that goes for all the other amazing machines in this package. I feel privileged to own this collection and - for me - it's the pinnacle of what computer technology should be about: Unrestricted time traveling, on both an educational and creative level. This specific time travel deal enables you to bring some of the best machines of the past into the present. If you'd rather travel to the future and spend your cash there, I'm sure there's other options for you. I, for one, would buy this collection again.

Btw, I got the best deal over at audiodeluxe.com, where I could pay in dollars instead of euros and even earn bonuses and stuff. I had to wait for about half an hour or so, but the transaction was nothing but smooth.

User avatar
fieldframe
Posts: 758
Joined: 19 Apr 2016

Post 09 Jul 2017

I've had the V Collection for weeks now and still haven't installed everything. I figured if I had just unboxed a shiny new reissue MiniMoog, I probably wouldn't go and immediately pick up another synth... I'd learn the MiniMoog first! So I've been taking it slow through the collection to really appreciate the design and the sound of each instrument.
The Iron Law of Reason forums: All topics eventually turn into feature request threads; the only difference is how many posts it takes.

Looking for UI design? DM me for a portfolio.

User avatar
mbfrancis
Posts: 585
Joined: 02 Feb 2015

Post 11 Jul 2017

Wow, this look like a crazy deal. Too bad I just dropped $150 on the Synthetic Rig...

  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot] and 7 guests