Waves SSL-E $29

Discuss VST stuff here!
Goriila Texas
Posts: 593
Joined: 31 Aug 2015
Location: Houston TX

Post 21 Jun 2017


User avatar
davidvilla
Posts: 208
Joined: 16 Jan 2015

Post 21 Jun 2017

I've taken advantage of a lot of these crazy Waves sales lately and I have this bad feeling they're going to screw us later.

BY THE WAY:

use code DK39S at audio deluxe and get this for $21.90.

ABSOLUTE 100% NO BRAINER

Tumble
Posts: 175
Joined: 16 Jan 2015

Post 21 Jun 2017

Seems a bit superfluous for Reason users. Granted, it's a based on a different SSL model, but still. Workflow is pretty much the same.

User avatar
Alkua
Posts: 280
Joined: 30 Apr 2015

Post 21 Jun 2017

But the Reason's mixer is base on ssl console. I might buy it to use it in logic.

Goriila Texas
Posts: 593
Joined: 31 Aug 2015
Location: Houston TX

Post 21 Jun 2017

davidvilla wrote:
21 Jun 2017
I've taken advantage of a lot of these crazy Waves sales lately and I have this bad feeling they're going to screw us later.

BY THE WAY:

use code DK39S at audio deluxe and get this for $21.90.

ABSOLUTE 100% NO BRAINER
Maybe they need the money and sales are slow.

User avatar
plasticfractal
Posts: 95
Joined: 29 Oct 2016

Post 21 Jun 2017

I'm kind of struggling to see how a reason user would benefit from this plugin, since the reason mixer is similar. Is the price way lower than normal? Am I missing something?

Goriila Texas
Posts: 593
Joined: 31 Aug 2015
Location: Houston TX

Post 21 Jun 2017

Alkua wrote:
21 Jun 2017
But the Reason's mixer is base on ssl console. I might buy it to use it in logic.
Different SSL

User avatar
plasticfractal
Posts: 95
Joined: 29 Oct 2016

Post 21 Jun 2017

Ok I looked it up. Appadently this plugin used to only be available in a bundle of four plugins, which cost 749 dollars. So divide by four and maybe It's reasonable to assume the non-sale price is around 180 dollars. A great deal, though I'm still not sure if it makes sense for a reason user.

Goriila Texas
Posts: 593
Joined: 31 Aug 2015
Location: Houston TX

Post 21 Jun 2017

plasticfractal wrote:
21 Jun 2017
Ok I looked it up. Appadently this plugin used to only be available in a bundle of four plugins, which cost 749 dollars. So divide by four and maybe It's reasonable to assume the non-sale price is around 180 dollars. A great deal, though I'm still not sure if it makes sense for a reason user.
Don't buy what you don't need.

User avatar
pjeudy
Posts: 1561
Joined: 17 Jan 2015

Post 21 Jun 2017

plasticfractal wrote:
21 Jun 2017
I'm still not sure if it makes sense for a reason user.
Easy...If someone has never used any other SSL emulation plugin beside the one in REASON, how would you know that the REASON one is the better one for some application?
If you can demo the WAVES SSL and compare it to the NATIVE Reason version and still come away liking the REASON version, then you would have gained Knowledge from experience. Maybe you would like how the waves emulation sounds on drums better then the native REASON !? YOU WONT KNOW UNTIL YOU DEMO AND COMPAIRE ON YOUR OWN MATERIAL.
My opinion is that Propellerhead REASON needs a complete rewrite!
P.S: people should stop saying "No it won't happen" when referring to a complete rewrite of REASON. I have 3 letters for ya....VST
Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:53 pm

User avatar
darkmaer
Posts: 32
Joined: 30 Apr 2017
Location: Greensboro, NC

Post 21 Jun 2017

As someone said on a Facebook page.

"For clarification the Reason SSL mimics the eq response curves, dynamic channel and bus response times only. You can think of it as a clean version but as Chalrles said there is definitely a difference in terms of sound. Waves emulated all the subtle nuances of the hardware and it's effects on the sound should be clear when brought together."

If you want you could bypass everything in the waves ssl and just have the analog sound. Also the out on the waves SSL can let you drive it into the red to get that analog saturation.

Some people might also like the workflow better since you don't got to scroll up and down or collapse stuff on reason's mixer. It's all right there to mix.

Goriila Texas
Posts: 593
Joined: 31 Aug 2015
Location: Houston TX

Post 22 Jun 2017

darkmaer wrote:
21 Jun 2017
As someone said on a Facebook page.

"For clarification the Reason SSL mimics the eq response curves, dynamic channel and bus response times only. You can think of it as a clean version but as Chalrles said there is definitely a difference in terms of sound. Waves emulated all the subtle nuances of the hardware and it's effects on the sound should be clear when brought together."

If you want you could bypass everything in the waves ssl and just have the analog sound. Also the out on the waves SSL can let you drive it into the red to get that analog saturation.

Some people might also like the workflow better since you don't got to scroll up and down or collapse stuff on reason's mixer. It's all right there to mix.
Didn't know that about the SSL in Reason thanks.

Galaxy
Posts: 282
Joined: 27 Oct 2016

Post 22 Jun 2017

This is still at the $29 price. What's the point of having a flash sale when the price stays the same afterwards. Not complaining, just the marketing hype makes people jump at the chance to buy.

User avatar
gak
Posts: 2840
Joined: 05 Feb 2015

Post 23 Jun 2017

Tumble wrote:
21 Jun 2017
Seems a bit superfluous for Reason users. Granted, it's a based on a different SSL model, but still. Workflow is pretty much the same.
My very first thought. YMMV, it's a very very nice CS, but it's kinda what reason already does.

Galaxy
Posts: 282
Joined: 27 Oct 2016

Post 23 Jun 2017

Btw, what's with this waves upgrade plan? If you buy a few cool plugins on sale at the moment do they got you by the balls with upgrade annual fees? I looked into it, but don't understand the benefits?

User avatar
Ahornberg
Posts: 1788
Joined: 15 Jan 2016
Location: Vienna, Austria

Post 23 Jun 2017

what about CPU load if you put this on 30+ channels?

User avatar
darkmaer
Posts: 32
Joined: 30 Apr 2017
Location: Greensboro, NC

Post 23 Jun 2017

Galaxy wrote:Btw, what's with this waves upgrade plan? If you buy a few cool plugins on sale at the moment do they got you by the balls with upgrade annual fees? I looked into it, but don't understand the benefits?
The "WUP" is not a mandatory feature. Essentially it's there so when stuff moves forward and plugins become unusable on future versions of OS. In order to combat that waves have to pay programmers to update all the plugins they have (which is a lot) making them always compatible and why you got 12 year old plugins still running on modern machines. If you are one of those people that always have to keep it active, it can come in handy. In bundles if waves adds new plugins to that bundle, you get them automatically. If a plugin gets major update you get that too. For example I had waves element, they upgraded it to version 2. If you had an active WUP you got it.

From what I've gathered, the WUP seems more necessary with macs. Or maybe it's over exaggerated, but people seem to claim everything seems to stop working with every OS upgrade. Windows on the other hand most people including myself haven't used WUP (despite the fact that they give you a year free for whatever plugin and bundle you use). Though I did pay for a year of WUP to get my waves element synth to version 2. But to be honest paying $30ish (if I remember correctly) for that is much better then paying another $99 for an upgraded version.

So for myself, WUP isn't needed until it's needed.

User avatar
SA Studio
Posts: 411
Joined: 19 Nov 2015

Post 23 Jun 2017

It's, IMO, by far the best plug in the SSL set. Our Bus Comp in Reason is much more transparent, for example.

I've got hundreds of hours using the SSL E-Chan plug. When you mix in other DAWS, it's priceless.

The benefit a Reason user would get is the presets really teach you how to use an SSL chan strip from EQ, to Dynamics, all the way to using it as a creative effect. It's an incredible plug and for $29, that's an insanely awesome price.

User avatar
Dante
Posts: 494
Joined: 06 Jun 2015
Location: Australia

Post 23 Jun 2017

Got it. Instabuy for me. Put it on a lead vocal with the analog turned on, makes it stand out a bit from the backing vocals which are treated on the reason SSL as normal.

User avatar
clone
Posts: 262
Joined: 18 Jan 2015

Post 25 Jun 2017

Oh yes! I jumped on this the day it went on sale. The waves site said it was only on sale for 20hrs, but here it is days later and still on sale.

It's still a hell of a deal, why can't you buy those plugins separate?

User avatar
miscend
Posts: 1509
Joined: 09 Feb 2015

Post 25 Jun 2017

How does it compare to Reason SSL

User avatar
gak
Posts: 2840
Joined: 05 Feb 2015

Post 25 Jun 2017

Galaxy wrote:
23 Jun 2017
Btw, what's with this waves upgrade plan? If you buy a few cool plugins on sale at the moment do they got you by the balls with upgrade annual fees? I looked into it, but don't understand the benefits?
Two things are effected:

After the year is up you will have to renew if you want to sell something. No tech support after the wup is expired.

Galaxy
Posts: 282
Joined: 27 Oct 2016

Post 26 Jun 2017

gak wrote:
25 Jun 2017
Galaxy wrote:
23 Jun 2017
Btw, what's with this waves upgrade plan? If you buy a few cool plugins on sale at the moment do they got you by the balls with upgrade annual fees? I looked into it, but don't understand the benefits?
Two things are effected:

After the year is up you will have to renew if you want to sell something. No tech support after the wup is expired.
Thanks gak. This is the one thing that makes me hesitate to buy anything from waves. Let's say I buy this EQ. 29 bucks then sometime down the road I might have to pay into an update plan just for one plugin if and when an OS update creates compatibility issue for the version I bought.

Also looking at differences and benefits to having this in Reason. Is the sound that different from Reason's SSL? There are a few feature differences like analog switch, split filter, maybe something else?

Goriila Texas
Posts: 593
Joined: 31 Aug 2015
Location: Houston TX

Post 26 Jun 2017

Galaxy wrote:
26 Jun 2017
gak wrote:
25 Jun 2017


Two things are effected:

After the year is up you will have to renew if you want to sell something. No tech support after the wup is expired.
Thanks gak. This is the one thing that makes me hesitate to buy anything from waves. Let's say I buy this EQ. 29 bucks then sometime down the road I might have to pay into an update plan just for one plugin if and when an OS update creates compatibility issue for the version I bought.

Also looking at differences and benefits to having this in Reason. Is the sound that different from Reason's SSL? There are a few feature differences like analog switch, split filter, maybe something else?
I have many waves plugins and have never needed an update yet. It's been two years since I bought the gold bundle.

User avatar
amcjen
Posts: 211
Joined: 14 Apr 2017

Post 26 Jun 2017

Galaxy wrote:
gak wrote:
25 Jun 2017
Two things are effected:

After the year is up you will have to renew if you want to sell something. No tech support after the wup is expired.
Thanks gak. This is the one thing that makes me hesitate to buy anything from waves. Let's say I buy this EQ. 29 bucks then sometime down the road I might have to pay into an update plan just for one plugin if and when an OS update creates compatibility issue for the version I bought.

Also looking at differences and benefits to having this in Reason. Is the sound that different from Reason's SSL? There are a few feature differences like analog switch, split filter, maybe something else?
I bought this and did a quick a/b on headphones and had a really hard time hearing any difference with everything bypassed and only using the analog switch, compared to a Reason mix channel.

I'm going to try again on better material and proper monitors. But first glance, it's pretty close to what we already have in Reason.

  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot], estuary and 1 guest