List of VST's not worth using because of their stability

Discuss VST stuff here!
AttenuationHz

15 Jun 2017

Please feel free to contribute to this thread any VST's which cause reason to Crash/Freeze/Crap Out/Cause any bother. Please include if it is a free plug-in or paid for with the name of the author/company if it is not a well known VST!

The 1st one here which I know now has major issues:

flux :: StereoToolV3 - Free. Caused reason to crash many times for me lost a good few projects because of it***
K-meter - Martin Zurther - Free. It is showing signs of performance issues buffer pop and crackles when moved not known if it causes carshes.
Ozone 5 - Completely froze Reason upon opening a project. DSP meter was in the red two different projects of the same opened. Plug-in windows pinned with the meter bridge opened. This one is a performance hog anyway so use carefully.

There must be more out there that cause problems please show them in this thread so we know what to avoid! or at least use with caution anyway.

***It crashes Blue Cats PatchWork in stand alone mode also when you change soundcards no other plug ins do that.
Last edited by AttenuationHz on 15 Jun 2017, edited 1 time in total.
It is not too much of an ask for people or things to be the best version of itself!

Jmax

15 Jun 2017

Could the Ozone 5 be slower due to a slower computer? I have Ozone 5 and works fine in Studio One. I'm using Ozone 7 with Reason now and no problems at all. Although it is a hog for sure.

AttenuationHz

15 Jun 2017

Jmax wrote:Could the Ozone 5 be slower due to a slower computer? I have Ozone 5 and works fine in Studio One. I'm using Ozone 7 with Reason now and no problems at all. Although it is a hog for sure.
short answer no. Reason forum not Studio one. :puf_bigsmile:
It is not too much of an ask for people or things to be the best version of itself!

fotizimo

15 Jun 2017

I feel inclined to add Waldorf's Nave onto this list as there is no way to actually save any patch you would like to create without the entire instrument and Reason crashing. I reached out to Waldorf and they said the issue had been reported with other DAWs, and that they might look into fixing it sometime soon, but refused to tell me if it was an actual priority or not. No notification will be sent to customers if and when they fix a highly critical bug.

The instrument works fine as long as you do not want to save your patch.

I love the instrument, but am not at all impressed by the developers. This is a pretty expensive instrument, and such a horrible bug, and the communications from the developer did not leave me to believe they felt the issue was that important.
Fotizimo @ Instagram
:reason: on Surface Pro 4
Nektar Impact 25
Novation Launchkey Mini
Arturia SparkLE Spark Codec for Reason

AttenuationHz

15 Jun 2017

fotizimo wrote:I feel inclined to add Waldorf's Nave onto this list as there is no way to actually save any patch you would like to create without the entire instrument and Reason crashing. I reached out to Waldorf and they said the issue had been reported with other DAWs, and that they might look into fixing it sometime soon, but refused to tell me if it was an actual priority or not. No notification will be sent to customers if and when they fix a highly critical bug.

I love the instrument, but am not at all impressed by the developers. This is a pretty expensive instrument, and such a horrible bug, and the communications from the developer did not leave me to believe they felt the issue was that important.
Can you use reasons save feature?
SavePatch.JPG
SavePatch.JPG (11.99 KiB) Viewed 1537 times

fotizimo

15 Jun 2017

I hadn't tried that, but suspect that will save the snap shot of the instrument, and not just the settings. This would require saving presets outside of Nave, and would not be an optimized experience.
Fotizimo @ Instagram
:reason: on Surface Pro 4
Nektar Impact 25
Novation Launchkey Mini
Arturia SparkLE Spark Codec for Reason

Jmax

15 Jun 2017

AttenuationHz wrote:
Jmax wrote:Could the Ozone 5 be slower due to a slower computer? I have Ozone 5 and works fine in Studio One. I'm using Ozone 7 with Reason now and no problems at all. Although it is a hog for sure.
I just tested Ozone 5 with Reason on my other computer. Works perfect! I have no idea what you're talking about.

AttenuationHz

15 Jun 2017

Jmax wrote:
AttenuationHz wrote:
I just tested Ozone 5 with Reason on my other computer. Works perfect! I have no idea what you're talking about.
Completely froze Reason upon opening a project. DSP meter was in the red two different projects of the same opened. Plug-in windows pinned with the meter bridge opened. This one is a performance hog anyway so use carefully.

AttenuationHz

15 Jun 2017

fotizimo wrote:I hadn't tried that, but suspect that will save the snap shot of the instrument, and not just the settings. This would require saving presets outside of Nave, and would not be an optimized experience.
It saves the setting too. Work around no? There is a setting in options also to give the VST keyboard focus I was unable to save presets in Kick 2 and enabling that fixed the issue worth a try.

Jmax

15 Jun 2017

AttenuationHz wrote:
Jmax wrote:
AttenuationHz wrote:
Completely froze Reason upon opening a project. DSP meter was in the red two different projects of the same opened. Plug-in windows pinned with the meter bridge opened. This one is a performance hog anyway so use carefully.
Maybe the VST isn't your problem. Could it be your project is to large and causing problems when using a more DSP intensive plugin. To say Ozone 5 is faulty and doesn't work properly inside Reason, is misleading. There are other factors that go into play. What are you using in that project that causes high DSP? If I have one instance of RE Spire it causes CPU spikes. I can have one Spire and 10 Omnisphere.. so it's all relative. Also many people are complaining about performance problems with Mac, you haven't stated any hardware or software.

AttenuationHz

15 Jun 2017

Jmax wrote:
AttenuationHz wrote:
Jmax wrote:
AttenuationHz wrote:
Maybe the VST isn't your problem. Could it be your project is to large and causing problems when using a more DSP intensive plugin. To say Ozone 5 is faulty and doesn't work properly inside Reason, is misleading. There are other factors that go into play. What are you using in that project that causes high DSP? If I have one instance of RE Spire it causes CPU spikes. I can have one Spire and 10 Omnisphere.. so it's all relative. Also many people are complaining about performance problems with Mac, you haven't stated any hardware or software.
This thread is not meant for discussions! Its simply to list plug-ins that you know have issues. If you want to Report RE spire for issues feel free to do so in a similar thread in Rack Extensions. I'm on windows and it is relative what my and others specs are. I never said it was faulty inside reason I simple said that it caused a crash because the VST window was pinned and the meter bridge was opened when the project saved and closed reopening it caused the crash and high DSP. Poke holes some where else buddy.

etyrnal

15 Jun 2017

"lost a good few projects because of it"

I tried to warn people VST comes along, this is exactly what people will be able to expect. And here it is.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
Last edited by etyrnal on 15 Jun 2017, edited 1 time in total.

etyrnal

15 Jun 2017

fotizimo wrote:I feel inclined to add Waldorf's Nave onto this list as there is no way to actually save any patch you would like to create without the entire instrument and Reason crashing. I reached out to Waldorf and they said the issue had been reported with other DAWs, and that they might look into fixing it sometime soon, but refused to tell me if it was an actual priority or not. No notification will be sent to customers if and when they fix a highly critical bug.

"they might look into fixing it sometime soon"

The instant I hear this attitude from a developer, I immediately stop using all of their products indefinitely.

AttenuationHz

15 Jun 2017

etyrnal wrote:

"they might look into fixing it sometime soon"

The instant I hear this attitude from a developer, I immediately stop using all of their products indefinitely.

If you just want to chat start a thread this thread is for listing plug-ins. Got any to contribute?

Gosh

16 Jun 2017

for me the Waldorf plugins only work as expected if i start reason (or any other daw) with administrator rights (pc, win7, 64 bit). have you tried that?

• Information