Maschine as vst in Reason

Discuss VST stuff here!
Fusion

13 Jun 2017

Has anyone got experience with setting up Maschine software as a vst instrument in Reason? I have loaded it up and can hear sound , but when I click record nothing is recorded.

EnochLight

13 Jun 2017

Fusion wrote:Has anyone got experience with setting up Maschine software as a vst instrument in Reason? I have loaded it up and can hear sound , but when I click record nothing is recorded.
Have you created an automation lane in the sequencer for it?
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Fusion

13 Jun 2017

Should I really need to create an automation lane to record audio? Below is a screenshot when I try to record a sample loop.

EpiGenetik

13 Jun 2017

Fusion wrote:Has anyone got experience with setting up Maschine software as a vst instrument in Reason? I have loaded it up and can hear sound , but when I click record nothing is recorded.
Maschine uses it's own internal sequencer, so you should record on that for beats certainly.

But let's suppose you wish to use a Reason track for notes and automation.

1. Open reason, load up Maschine, and find an instrument or sound patch then load it in.
2. Assure that the correct Reason sequencer track is pointed at Maschine.

First up basic note input.

3. Close Maschine's browser and in the middle section between the sequencers you should see the Master/Group/Sound switches. Just to the left is 2 icons, a dial thing and a plug thing.
4. Click the dial thing and you'll see 4 boxes next to it - Input, Output, Groove and Macro. Select Input then make sure the focus in on Sound.
5. To the right you will now see the input options and the tab at the top of the section should indicate that you are on Audio - switch it to MIDI.
6. In the dropdown marked Source, select Host.

Voila!!!

EpiGenetik

13 Jun 2017

Fusion wrote:Should I really need to create an automation lane to record audio? Below is a screenshot when I try to record a sample loop.

Uhm, so you are after recording Maschine's audio in to Reason?

In which case you need a track in Reason to record it in to, then it's just plain old Reason recording methods really. :)

If you want more details on the bit above I'll come back and explain the rest later :)

Fusion

13 Jun 2017

The above sounds really complicated for something I was thinking would be so simple.

Ultimately I was planning to use Maschine to record drums or samples into the reason sequencer as I can do with Kontakt . So when I hit the pads the audio is sent and recorded into Reason.

kuhliloach

13 Jun 2017

Fusion wrote:The above sounds really complicated for something I was thinking would be so simple.

Ultimately I was planning to use Maschine to record drums or samples into the reason sequencer as I can do with Kontakt . So when I hit the pads the audio is sent and recorded into Reason.
I agree with this workflow being expected. I've avoided Maschine all this time because I already have a 16 pad MIDI controller. Thanks for this thread - Maschine has always looked very tasty.

EpiGenetik

13 Jun 2017

Fusion wrote:The above sounds really complicated for something I was thinking would be so simple.

Ok then. This is much simpler :)

1. Load Maschine into Reason and set up your patch.
2. Open the mix channel then click on Rec Source.
3. Create an audio track and set the input to Stereo Input, then set it to Maschine.

Voila!!! :)

Pro-tip: If you're going to be using Maschine a lot, then set up a file with all the possibilities saved in, then set that as your Template project :)

Fusion

13 Jun 2017

EpiGenetik wrote:

Ok then. This is much simpler :)

1. Load Maschine into Reason and set up your patch.
2. Open the mix channel then click on Rec Source.
3. Create an audio track and set the input to Stereo Input, then set it to Maschine.

Voila!!! :)

Pro-tip: If you're going to be using Maschine a lot, then set up a file with all the possibilities saved in, then set that as your Template project :)
Thanks! that works great . Hopefully there will be a way you can record midi in the future so it works like any other instrument. Not really liking the Maschine workflow at the moment , but the sampling is great and can see it easily replacing Recycle. Hopefully propellerhead are working an updated sampler for the rack.

Do you know if its easy to control the kong with the Maschine hardware? I have seen software called MaschineR, but do not like the idea of having to have to run extra software.

EpiGenetik

13 Jun 2017

Fusion wrote:
Thanks! that works great . Hopefully there will be a way you can record midi in the future so it works like any other instrument. Not really liking the Maschine workflow at the moment , but the sampling is great and can see it easily replacing Recycle. Hopefully propellerhead are working an updated sampler for the rack.
Recording MIDI from Reason into Maschine was the longer explanation above - I had misunderstood the original question. It's quicker than you think too, once you've done it a couple of times it's pretty easy.

Fusion wrote: Do you know if its easy to control the kong with the Maschine hardware? I have seen software called MaschineR, but do not like the idea of having to have to run extra software.
Yup, very easy to do. Once you have Maschine set up as a Remote Controller in Reason you can switch between using the Maschine Hardware for Maschine or Reason, all you do is press shift-control on the Maschine hardware and it will take you to whatever temnplate file you have set up - to mess around with the MIDI/CC numbers you need to use NI's controller editor.

I honestly wouldn't recommend MaschineR until you are very comfortable using the standard MIDI controller version of Maschine. :)

Fusion

15 Jun 2017

EpiGenetik wrote:
Maschine uses it's own internal sequencer, so you should record on that for beats certainly.

But let's suppose you wish to use a Reason track for notes and automation.

1. Open reason, load up Maschine, and find an instrument or sound patch then load it in.
2. Assure that the correct Reason sequencer track is pointed at Maschine.

First up basic note input.

3. Close Maschine's browser and in the middle section between the sequencers you should see the Master/Group/Sound switches. Just to the left is 2 icons, a dial thing and a plug thing.
4. Click the dial thing and you'll see 4 boxes next to it - Input, Output, Groove and Macro. Select Input then make sure the focus in on Sound.
5. To the right you will now see the input options and the tab at the top of the section should indicate that you are on Audio - switch it to MIDI.
6. In the dropdown marked Source, select Host.

Voila!!!

Just tried this, but it is not working. Below is a screenshot of the settings in Maschine. I can hear audio when recording but nothing gets recorded.

Fusion

01 Jul 2017

sorry, I found out that the above config does work but only when using a midi controller. If I use the maschine Mikro the midi is not received by reason so nothing gets recorded.

Is there anyway to use the mikro controller? I prefer the pads over the nectar p4.

EpiGenetik

16 Jul 2017

Fusion wrote:
01 Jul 2017
sorry, I found out that the above config does work but only when using a midi controller. If I use the maschine Mikro the midi is not received by reason so nothing gets recorded.

Is there anyway to use the mikro controller? I prefer the pads over the nectar p4.
Sorry for the delay, I don't often come in here :)

Not 100% on this as I don't have a Mikro, but it should be whatever translates to Shift-Control that puts the Mikro into MIDI controller mode. Otherwise the Mikro controller is just sending all it's MIDI data to Maschine.

Again though, I strongly urge Maschine users to use the Maschine hardware for Maschine plugin instances, the design of the hardware and it's functionality was with that software in mind. Reason and a different external controller can't be expected to have the same quality of integration - and they don't, by a long shot - and it's not gonna happen in the future either. Use it the way the designers intended rather than try to force it to work in a way which is a bit clunky.

Street Box Radio

21 Jul 2017

While we're on the subject, and I apologize if its been covered, but recording the many outs to many audio tracks, have we figured that out yet? I understood how to in pro tools, but I'm at a bit of a loss with reason, any ideas?

Ahornberg

21 Jul 2017

Street Box Radio wrote:
21 Jul 2017
While we're on the subject, and I apologize if its been covered, but recording the many outs to many audio tracks, have we figured that out yet? I understood how to in pro tools, but I'm at a bit of a loss with reason, any ideas?
In Maschine route the tracks to EXT.1, EXT.2 and so on.
In Reason create a mixer channel for each Maschine track and route the OPTIONAL AUDIO OUTs to them.
On every mixer channel in the rack enable REC SOURCE.
Create an audio channel for each of the mixer channels, set the AUDIO INPUT to one of the mixer channels and enable record.
Hit the record button in Reason ...

groggy1

21 Jul 2017

I also only use the Maschine hardware as a MIDI controller, by putting it into "Remote" mode (Shift-F1 on Maschine).

Maschine comes with a configuration app where you can edit all the MIDI CCs, so I fixed it up so that it sends MIDI audio that lines-up with the pads on Kong. At this point, I used mostly to trigger pads in Kong, and it works GREAT for that.

Now, that means that I don't get to use the great sample library that comes with Maschine, or the internal sequencer it has - but honestly I can live with that since I like the Kong/Reason flow better.

ocelot1

21 Jul 2017

Ahornberg wrote:
21 Jul 2017
Street Box Radio wrote:
21 Jul 2017
In Reason create a mixer channel for each Maschine track and route the OPTIONAL AUDIO OUTs to them.
Create an audio channel for each of the mixer channels, set the AUDIO INPUT to one of the mixer channels and enable record.
Hi,

am I missing something or are there only 8 Stereo outputs on the back of Maschine but there are 16 Stereo Track?

Ahornberg

21 Jul 2017

ocelot1 wrote:
21 Jul 2017
Ahornberg wrote:
21 Jul 2017

Hi,

am I missing something or are there only 8 Stereo outputs on the back of Maschine but there are 16 Stereo Track?
Yes, there are only 8 stereo outputs on the back panel of a VST instrument.

Street Box Radio

21 Jul 2017

Ahornberg wrote:
21 Jul 2017
Street Box Radio wrote:
21 Jul 2017
Thank you kind sir, I really appreciate it.

• Information