Granular Synthesis VSTs

Discuss VST stuff here!
CeeKeys

11 Jun 2017

Granular Synthesis is like audio adrenaline to me! It has pumped me up just like sampling did when I discovered it in the 80's!

:reason: The Malström uses graintable synthesis which is a mix of granular and wavetable synthesis. This is a brilliant way of mapping grains across the keyboard. And although the Mellotron may have been somewhat of a father to granular synthesis (with loooong grains - LOL), I love the way granular synthesis is evolving.

I have not found too many VSTs that use granular synthesis that are at least affordable - or without having to dish out the amount of money that I could use on a weekend getaway with my wife! LOL

Stenberg's Padshop and Padshop Pro are good granular synth VSTs but are a little pricey. Padshop is certainly more affordable than dishing out a couple grand for a new synth, like back in the day, but not an easy thing to just pick up on a whim.
(https://www.steinberg.net/en/products/v ... dshop.html)

I discovered The Mangle and love the way you can edit individual grains and alter the randomness & envelopes so that any sound source can flow together and create a wild new fluid sound! (http://sound-guru.com/software/mangle/) I would love to see something like this continue to improve. I don't think the product has seen an update in a long time and the author may have moved on but I'd like to see comparable products.

Has anyone played with The Mangle? I would love to see a co-op library of presets. Has anyone found other granular VSTs that are helping to pave the way for this fairly new type of synthesis?

Thanks! :D

Oquasec

11 Jun 2017

http://sound-guru.com/software/mangle/

I know some guys who stick to one or two types, more power to those people.
Learned 15 outta boredom :lol:
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

BRIGGS

12 Jun 2017

Absynth...to bad, alchemy is no more.
r11s

danc

12 Jun 2017

I downloaded and tested THE MANGLE today (after reading your comments here) and can confirm it's really really really powerful - especially for drops etc. in dance music (e.g. bounce a few bars of your track and upload into The Mangle - then Mangle away!) Definite purchase. It's pretty stable and CPU light.
Check my Soundcloud:

MannequinRaces

12 Jun 2017

There's some great stuff in Reaktor but I'm going to check out The Mangle for sure! Looks great. Thanks.

Re8et
Competition Winner

12 Jun 2017

CeeKeys wrote:Granular Synthesis is like audio adrenaline to me! It has pumped me up just like sampling did when I discovered it in the 80's!

:reason: The Malström uses graintable synthesis which is a mix of granular and wavetable synthesis. This is a brilliant way of mapping grains across

Thanks! :D
Did you try the Arkana from quadelectra and the Proton sampler? those are quite powerful :re: re anyway that does granular pretty well.

danc

13 Jun 2017

Another granular sampler to check out is Polygon VST - http://glitchmachines.com/products/polygon/
It's quite cheap, yet powerful. Watch the demo videos.
Check my Soundcloud:

Oquasec

13 Jun 2017

The one I currently use Is called the nnxt.
If I get another it'll be the mangle.
Producer/Programmer.

CephaloPod

13 Jun 2017

Something you guys should know about The Mangle: It's abandon-ware at this point. There is no further development on it. It is a fun program to mess around with, but if you use it in a track, you're probably going to want to bounce it down to audio.
2011 iMac i7; 24 GB RAM; OSX Sierra; Nektar LX 49; MOTU Microbook
Reason/Logic

jonheal

13 Jun 2017

CephaloPod wrote:Something you guys should know about The Mangle: It's abandon-ware at this point. There is no further development on it. It is a fun program to mess around with, but if you use it in a track, you're probably going to want to bounce it down to audio.
That one guy on KVR REALLY went off on the Mangle developer dropping off the face of the Earth! :puf_smile:
Jon Heal:reason: :re: :refill:Do not click this link!

Oquasec

13 Jun 2017

CephaloPod wrote:Something you guys should know about The Mangle: It's abandon-ware at this point. There is no further development on it. It is a fun program to mess around with, but if you use it in a track, you're probably going to want to bounce it down to audio.
Thanks for the heads up. if there's any RE that does granular let me know.
Producer/Programmer.

madmacman

13 Jun 2017

Not really a loss. Mangle did reliably crash Reason on Mac - had to kill the entire app to regain control over my system.

davidvilla

13 Jun 2017

Yes Alchemy is gone for you non-Logic users, but I'm using Alchemy 1.55 in Reason and it is fantastic.

dvdrtldg

14 Jun 2017

Anyone using Padshop Pro? I'm interested in getting hold of a really top shelf granular synth, but not sure how much better it would be than the granular devices already available on Reason (I have Proton, Arkana and Fritz)

tiker01

14 Jun 2017

I suggest you to wait a little bit. Perhaps Proton will be the granular what you would like. ;)

Budapest, Hungary
Reason 11 Suite
Lenovo ThinkPad e520 Win10x64 8GB RAM Intel i5-2520M 2,5-3,2 GHz and AMD 6630M with 1GB of memory.
:rt: :reason: :essentials: :re: :refill: :PUF_balance: :ignition: :PUF_figure:

dvdrtldg

15 Jun 2017

tiker01 wrote:I suggest you to wait a little bit. Perhaps Proton will be the granular what you would like. ;)
Hmm interesting response :shock:

riemac

15 Jun 2017

dvdrtldg wrote:
tiker01 wrote:I suggest you to wait a little bit. Perhaps Proton will be the granular what you would like. ;)
Yes, it seems that LoveOne and Selig are working on something good in the last 6 months.

scratchnsnifff

15 Jun 2017

riemac wrote:
dvdrtldg wrote:
Yes, it seems that LoveOne and Selig are working on something good in the last 6 months.

If that is true, are their products usually free or paid updates? I'm excited either way
Mayor of plucktown :evil:

hamzter
RE Developer

16 Jun 2017

hamzter
RE Developer

16 Jun 2017

scratchnsnifff wrote:If that is true, are their products usually free or paid updates? I'm excited either way
Proton 1.1 will be a free update.

Best,
Gustav

Marc64

16 Jun 2017

I have tryed padshop pro and i just love the pads on there. yeah i'm a pad guy (the first I check in a new synth or refill) :)

Brentw1250

16 Jun 2017

Have you checked out Native Instruments' Form? It can work with the reaktor player plugin and looks similar to Mangle.

• Information