What’s the best VST/AU plugin synth in the world?

Discuss VST stuff here!
pjeudy

11 Jun 2017

Vote here...the list is very long
http://www.musicradar.com/news/whats-th ... -the-world

If spec lists and marketing shpiels are to be believed, the majority of new plugin synths are groundbreaking game-changers that are designed, in one way or another, to take in-the-box sound creation to another level.

We do our best to cut through the hype in our reviews, but ultimately it’s you, the users, who’ll decide whether a synth ends up being a flash in the sonic pan or becomes a classic.

That’s why, as every year, we’re asking you to vote for your favourite plugin in synth in the world right now. This might be one that was released during the past 12 months - we’ve included the best of the new releases in the poll below - or it could be an instrument that’s been around for a while but, as far as you’re concerned, still trumps all others.

We’ll bring you the results of our poll in our top 50 rundown at the end of next week, so make sure you cast your vote before then.
My opinion is that Propellerhead REASON needs a complete rewrite!
P.S: people should stop saying "No it won't happen" when referring to a complete rewrite of REASON. I have 3 letters for ya....VST
Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:53 pm

CephaloPod

11 Jun 2017

Is this a "if you could only have one plugin synth...JUST ONE!!!111...which would you choose" poll?

If so, Omnisphere.

Also, not sure Reaktor 6 being in there is fair, although it is a plugin. Do you also get every free ensemble ever made? That's literally hundreds of devices from synths, drum machines, sequencers, effects, etc.
2011 iMac i7; 24 GB RAM; OSX Sierra; Nektar LX 49; MOTU Microbook
Reason/Logic

pjeudy

11 Jun 2017

I want to vote but I'm finding it hard to choose just one.
My opinion is that Propellerhead REASON needs a complete rewrite!
P.S: people should stop saying "No it won't happen" when referring to a complete rewrite of REASON. I have 3 letters for ya....VST
Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:53 pm

Oquasec

11 Jun 2017

UVI gets my vote.
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

SA Studio

12 Jun 2017

pjeudy wrote:I want to vote but I'm finding it hard to choose just one.
Yeah - makes my head hurt :lol: that'd be really hard to answer

Hauser+Quaid

12 Jun 2017

From that list? Probably Serum, aside from Reaktor it can sound pretty much like anything. But I always thought including Reaktor in these types of polls is a bit misleading, like CephaloPod said what's included with it? I guess even the stock synths that come w Reaktor 6 are pretty versatile. You could make music your whole career w just that.

But you'd have to have tried every synth on the list which I imagine few people have done. I haven't tried Avenger yet but that could blow them all out too, it's designed to sound like anything...

marcuswitt

12 Jun 2017

Oquasec wrote:UVI gets my vote.
+1 Yes, with FALCON (and its 'little brother' MOTU MACH FIVE V3) UVI sets the bar a whole lot higher. In my opinion FALCON/MACH FIVE V3 is such a superb-sounding and highly flexible 'machine' that is hard to beat.

The_G

13 Jun 2017

This is a question without an answer.
Cosmopolis, out now: : https://timeslaves.bandcamp.com/album/cosmopolis! Check out the first single, "City Lights:

Oquasec

13 Jun 2017

Yep, uvi sounds as good as the nn xt
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

Jmax

17 Jun 2017

I'm going to have to say DUNE 2 is the best. All around it's got a huge sound! Just wins hands down in that department and works for many different genre's.

calmbird

17 Jun 2017

Omnisphere

aeox
Competition Winner

17 Jun 2017

Serum because of it's clean oscillators

gak

18 Jun 2017

The one's you don't own yet.

submonsterz

18 Jun 2017

If I was to be left with only one of that list I'd honestly be happy to just be left with harmor people just don't realise the power it has and what it can and does do it's a sound design black hole step in and emerge in places you never thought you could go.

BRIGGS

19 Jun 2017

I like Spire, but I'm a supersaw kind of guy.

So, it's subjective.

People are crazy for Serum, but making huge saws on Spire is streamlined. It's designed that way.
r11s

tumar

20 Jun 2017

NI Massive.
P.S 6 of 50 are synths from NI Komplete bundle ;)

scratchnsnifff

20 Jun 2017

I'd be stuck between serum or predator, pretty sure I saw predator on the list.

Ehh I guess serum because of its wacky filters and it's WT customization

Yeah serum I guess haha this is an impossible question for me to answer it's like picking which hand to get amputated
Mayor of plucktown :evil:

Kalm

20 Jun 2017

I thought you were being serious :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: I'm over here like "This kat ji like joshin moe ...."
Courtesy of The Brew | Watch My Tutorials | Mac Mini Intel i7 Quad-Core | 16 GB RAM | Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB | Reason 11 Suite | Studio One 5 Professional | Presonus Quantum | Komplete Kontrol 49 MK2 | Event Opals | Follow me on Instagram

BRIGGS

22 Jun 2017

Thinking about this one a bit more.

There is no objectively best plugin in the world.

The best one, is your favorite one!!!!

Try them all!
r11s

dominickpalella

24 Jun 2017

After watching the many video demonstrations of Omnisphere 2, especially from the pluginguru.com and Jordan Rudess, I thought it was a very powerful synth, with fantastic options for creating new sounds in virtually any genre, without a need to go into micro details, but to twist or slide into sounds to see what happens. What you think you want, may turn out to be something much different to use in its place. Therefore, I just ordered it from Musiciansfriend.com.

If you are interested in getting it, now is the time. However, to get the best discount, I discovered only seeing the $479 sale price on the site, and called to see when a better offer would be available, around the 4th of July, when they had a sale last year. The sales person offered it for only $407 and free shipping, in addition you may also be able to get it tax free if you don't live in the state where it is shipped, which save another $50 where I live.

The pluginguru.com has 20 plus libraries, with many walkthoughs of the sounds he has created, and lots of tips for using them and Omnisphere. However, from what I've heard and saw in these videos, it looks like just playing with the thousands of sounds already contained in it could take several weeks, before going for more libraries. And of course, you can also drop your own or other wav sample libraries into it for more experimentation. Truly endless possibilities for creating completely new sounds never heard before.

modecca

24 Jun 2017

dominickpalella wrote:
24 Jun 2017
After watching the many video demonstrations of Omnisphere 2, especially from the pluginguru.com and Jordan Rudess, I thought it was a very powerful synth, with fantastic options for creating new sounds in virtually any genre, without a need to go into micro details, but to twist or slide into sounds to see what happens. What you think you want, may turn out to be something much different to use in its place. Therefore, I just ordered it from Musiciansfriend.com.
As much as I love analog style start from scratch simple waveform synth programming, sometimes I just get lost playing with all the beautiful and truly unique samples this thing ships with.
The range of methods, instruments and locations these guys used to create this massive sample database is astonishing.
Then you can modulate the position of these samples to get even more out of them (with out needing to use the granular which can be very cpu heavy at times).The pictures and background information on display when you select the different samples are pretty inspiring.
The orb: hit dice and it randomly selects different fx processors to add to your current sound. You move the cross hair thingy and it changes the fx settings making it quite easy to get some radical timbral sweeps.If you want to modulate any of Omnispheres parameters you do have to right click "enable host automation."
🔗💥

CephaloPod

25 Jun 2017

modecca wrote:
24 Jun 2017
dominickpalella wrote:
24 Jun 2017
As much as I love analog style start from scratch simple waveform synth programming, sometimes I just get lost playing with all the beautiful and truly unique samples this thing ships with.
The range of methods, instruments and locations these guys used to create this massive sample database is astonishing.
Then you can modulate the position of these samples to get even more out of them (with out needing to use the granular which can be very cpu heavy at times).The pictures and background information on display when you select the different samples are pretty inspiring.
The orb: hit dice and it randomly selects different fx processors to add to your current sound. You move the cross hair thingy and it changes the fx settings making it quite easy to get some radical timbral sweeps.If you want to modulate any of Omnispheres parameters you do have to right click "enable host automation."
And now you can get it in Reason, hook up some players, assign some CV...fun for days and days. Omnisphere doesn't always make it into my productions, but it is always fun to mess around with.
2011 iMac i7; 24 GB RAM; OSX Sierra; Nektar LX 49; MOTU Microbook
Reason/Logic

dezma

26 Jun 2017

BRIGGS wrote:
19 Jun 2017

So, it's subjective.

People are crazy for Serum, but making huge saws on Spire is streamlined. It's designed that way.
I'll join you in that category. While I do like spire a lot, Avenger really beats it IMO. It might not be ideal for synth beginners, but once you got your head around the workflow, it leaves spire far behind. Hoping to see a sale soon, I got tired of hearing the noize sound every few minutes and the "trial time is over" message :)

BRIGGS

27 Jun 2017

dezma wrote:
26 Jun 2017
BRIGGS wrote:
19 Jun 2017

So, it's subjective.

I'll join you in that category. While I do like spire a lot, Avenger really beats it IMO. It might not be ideal for synth beginners, but once you got your head around the workflow, it leaves spire far behind. Hoping to see a sale soon, I got tired of hearing the noize sound every few minutes and the "trial time is over" message :)
Thanks!!! I watched some videos on Avenger! Seems like my kind of synth!

Can't believe there's a drum machine built in! My primary focus is drums, so this is a no brainer!

Off to watch more videos!

Thanks again!
r11s

• Information