Softube Tape "It's time to get reel"

Discuss VST stuff here!
Marco Raaphorst

14 Jun 2017

The Klanghelm IVGI has crosstalk as well.

wendylou

16 Jun 2017

wendylou wrote:
Kalm wrote:
wendylou wrote:I have iZotope Ozone 7 Advanced with the Vintage Tape plug-in. It has controls for drive, bias, tape speed, harmonics, low & high emphasis. Just no wobble which they deemed undesirable. Anyone here have experience and opinions on how this compares to other tape VSTs? I can hear the difference with warm settings and saturation effects, which I like, as well as high bias and harmonics.
Hopefully I'll get the Softube as a Mix FX soon. While I do love the Ozone emulation, it eats up CPU like all of their devices.
FYI, with Ozone 7 Advance, I can use each plug-in in the suite individually. Vintage Tape has no noticeable load on my system even with mutiple instances.
Kalm wrote:The nice thing about the Ozone is that its hard to destroy. . . i mean utterly disintegrate sounds with it. Every adjustment is smooth and precise. Sometimes I have to A/B bypassing the plugin to make sure I heard what I thought I heard. But I use the Vintage tape to make a noticeable difference.

With the Softube, I'm expecting it to add character across all my tracks which could change my approach to mixing as it colors each individual stem in small proportions. These errors/flaws/anomalies will build up in the end. That'll sound different then strapping ozone on a buss or master.
Good point, I hadn't considered how the sum total of Softube Tape across each mixer tracks would add up to a bigger effect than trying to do it with one effect on the master buss. How does it sound to you? Noticeable? I guess that would be the way to emulate a multitrack recorder.
Well, I tested putting Ozone Vintage Tape VSTs on each of 9 mixer channels of a previous song to test if it affected my computer playback capabilities. At 44.1 and max 4096 buffer, it was red lining the DSP and crackling. The song was originally created and exported at 96 kHz, and when I switched to that, it could not play back, although I could export it. To be fair, the Reason song had a lot of RE's and was getting up there in DSP load by itself. But this showed me how a lot of instances of certain VSTs can bring my computer to it's knees. Of course, I am capable of doing the same with a boat-load of RE's on many channels.

So this begs the question, how do VST's compare to RE's regarding DSP load? Is it all individual, based on device, and neither format is better or worse than the other? Or is one format generally better than the other regarding DSP load?
:puf_smile: http://www.galxygirl.com -- :reason: user since 2002

EnochLight

16 Jun 2017

wendylou wrote:So this begs the question, how do VST's compare to RE's regarding DSP load? Is it all individual, based on device, and neither format is better or worse than the other? Or is one format generally better than the other regarding DSP load?
It might depend upon device. I'm able to get about the same amount of Spire RE's as I am Spire VST in Reason. I don't own any other typically high CPU-use RE with a VST counterpart, though, so it's hard for me to correlate my statement. :(
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Kalm

16 Jun 2017

EnochLight wrote:
wendylou wrote:So this begs the question, how do VST's compare to RE's regarding DSP load? Is it all individual, based on device, and neither format is better or worse than the other? Or is one format generally better than the other regarding DSP load?
It might depend upon device. I'm able to get about the same amount of Spire RE's as I am Spire VST in Reason. I don't own any other typically high CPU-use RE with a VST counterpart, though, so it's hard for me to correlate my statement. :(
Yea, theres definitely a personal load with huge VSTs. Kontakt in nature is a huge so unless theres a Reason equivalent you can't really test between them. Interesting about the Spire scenario though. I personally would expect the VST to be hungrier.
Courtesy of The Brew | Watch My Tutorials | Mac Mini Intel i7 Quad-Core | 16 GB RAM | Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB | Reason 11 Suite | Studio One 5 Professional | Presonus Quantum | Komplete Kontrol 49 MK2 | Event Opals | Follow me on Instagram

miscend

24 Jan 2018

Tape is back on sale again.

miscend

25 Jan 2018

I finally caved in and bought Tape. It just does some voodoo which can’t be explained to the audio. I have Waves J37 and I think that tends to break up in a bad way and sound grainy compared to tape. It is also not as sophisticated in dealing with transients.

Harmen

26 Jan 2018

Yes it's always chill to have something of Softube, makes; work , work. if you know what i mean.
Save me a piece of old tape machine, otherwise i would have bought a tape machine; there are loads of them still around.

greet,.

mcatalao
Competition Winner

26 Jan 2018

Bought Tape and i really like it. I don't use it on masters and i also don't use it directly on single channels. I use mostly over buses.
I can be a little more aggressive with some stuff over drums and gives you more control than only at the master.

I tend to put the same settings to every channel but use the amount slider differently in each one.

skie

29 Jan 2018

mcatalao wrote:
26 Jan 2018
Bought Tape and i really like it. I don't use it on masters and i also don't use it directly on single channels. I use mostly over buses.
I can be a little more aggressive with some stuff over drums and gives you more control than only at the master.

I tend to put the same settings to every channel but use the amount slider differently in each one.
[/quote

I find that when inserted into my master buss, default setting with dry/wet at 50%, treble at about 3:00 it still makes the low end too boomy and sucks out too much tone on the high end. I'm only having good results with dry/wet no more than 25%. Maybe I'm using it wrong though. Still love it for individual tracks.

skie

29 Jan 2018

skie wrote:
29 Jan 2018
mcatalao wrote:
26 Jan 2018

I find that when inserted into my master buss, default setting with dry/wet at 50%, treble at about 3:00 it still makes the low end too boomy and sucks out too much tone on the high end. I'm only having good results with dry/wet no more than 25%. Maybe I'm using it wrong though. Still love it for individual tracks.

mcatalao
Competition Winner

31 Jan 2018

skie wrote:
29 Jan 2018
Mmm.... I feel it adds bass but i don't feel it so boomy. I just don't use it at mastering because it doesn't make sense to add something that you don't control the amount too well and it ends being too aggressive imho. Maybe you already have your bass very present and it just shows it to you? It may be accentuating some ressonance in your room or in your monitoring chain.

Anyway... Have you tried the different tapes? I know one focus more in the bass region than the other 2, so if you want to use Tape in the mastering chain, maybe you should keep away from that one.

• Information