Softube Tape "It's time to get reel"

Discuss VST stuff here!
gak

09 Jun 2017

Again, it's tough because what exactly are you looking for (other than gas) ??

I'm sure this is a terrific plug. But with softube, not all hosts can do presets. Is reason 9.5 one of them?

SA Studio

09 Jun 2017

I kept trying to encourage Kuassa to make a tape sim RE and I would have demo'd it and hoped it saw some of the success the MP5 promotions I did saw. (Which was legendary, btw :D )

They opted to go with those guitar effect unit/box things. :|

I tried, though.

Marco Raaphorst

09 Jun 2017

Here's a patch I made myself without wow & flutter (which can be a good thing):
https://melodiefabriek.com/blog/raapie- ... e-machine/

Using custom peak compression + odd harmonics using The Echo in a Combinator.

SoulState

09 Jun 2017

gak wrote: I'm sure this is a terrific plug. But with softube, not all hosts can do presets. Is reason 9.5 one of them?
Demoing it right now...There's no prob with PRESETS - they behave how they should, drop down menu and all.
:reason:

gak

10 Jun 2017

SoulState wrote:
gak wrote: I'm sure this is a terrific plug. But with softube, not all hosts can do presets. Is reason 9.5 one of them?
Demoing it right now...There's no prob with PRESETS - they behave how they should, drop down menu and all.

That's encouraging.

MannequinRaces

10 Jun 2017

Even though a tape RE or VST in my rack would be nice I'll stick to my El Cap for now! :) http://www.strymon.net/elcapistan/ it is glorious.

wendylou

10 Jun 2017

I have iZotope Ozone 7 Advanced with the Vintage Tape plug-in. It has controls for drive, bias, tape speed, harmonics, low & high emphasis. Just no wobble which they deemed undesirable. Anyone here have experience and opinions on how this compares to other tape VSTs? I can hear the difference with warm settings and saturation effects, which I like, as well as high bias and harmonics.
ozone7-vintage-tape.jpg
ozone7-vintage-tape.jpg (64.44 KiB) Viewed 3655 times
:puf_smile: http://www.galxygirl.com -- :reason: user since 2002

EnochLight

11 Jun 2017

wendylou wrote:I have iZotope Ozone 7 Advanced with the Vintage Tape plug-in. It has controls for drive, bias, tape speed, harmonics, low & high emphasis. Just no wobble which they deemed undesirable. Anyone here have experience and opinions on how this compares to other tape VSTs? I can hear the difference with warm settings and saturation effects, which I like, as well as high bias and harmonics.

ozone7-vintage-tape.jpg
I think the more important question is: do you like the sound of Ozone's emulation? If you do, then I'd say your money is well spent and enjoy using Ozone.

The only emulations that I've tried aside from U-He Satin is Softube's Tape and Waves J37 (aside from plain old destruction emulations like Sonic Charge/Peff's Crapre and Crapre 2 and minor emulations like Scream 4 and Audiomatic's tape settings). I like the simplicity of Softube's Tape, and it doesn't sound bad by any metric, IMHO. If anything, I'd just describe it as "subtle".

Give it a spin and compare for yourself! :)
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Marco Raaphorst

11 Jun 2017

EnochLight wrote:
wendylou wrote:I have iZotope Ozone 7 Advanced with the Vintage Tape plug-in. It has controls for drive, bias, tape speed, harmonics, low & high emphasis. Just no wobble which they deemed undesirable. Anyone here have experience and opinions on how this compares to other tape VSTs? I can hear the difference with warm settings and saturation effects, which I like, as well as high bias and harmonics.

ozone7-vintage-tape.jpg
I think the more important question is: do you like the sound of Ozone's emulation? If you do, then I'd say your money is well spent and enjoy using Ozone.

The only emulations that I've tried aside from U-He Satin is Softube's Tape and Waves J37 (aside from plain old destruction emulations like Sonic Charge/Peff's Crapre and Crapre 2 and minor emulations like Scream 4 and Audiomatic's tape settings). I like the simplicity of Softube's Tape, and it doesn't sound bad by any metric, IMHO. If anything, I'd just describe it as "subtle".

Can you explain why Speed Stability causes these weird harmonics jumping up and down when using a Sine wave (it's at 97%, so very little Speed adjustment!)?
Screen Shot 2017-06-11 at 13.28.47-w990.jpg
Screen Shot 2017-06-11 at 13.28.47-w990.jpg (109.41 KiB) Viewed 3617 times
In my opinion for the best tape effect you should have odd harmonics. Maybe even harmonics for tube cirquit but to get that tape effect odd harmonics are the key imo (boomy bass). Easy to do using default Reason devices.

EnochLight

11 Jun 2017

Marco Raaphorst wrote:Can you explain why Speed Stability causes these weird harmonics jumping up and down when using a Sine wave (it's at 97%, so very little Speed adjustment!)?

Screen Shot 2017-06-11 at 13.28.47-w990.jpg

In my opinion for the best tape effect you should have odd harmonics. Maybe even harmonics for tube cirquit but to get that tape effect odd harmonics are the key imo (boomy bass). Easy to do using default Reason devices.
No clue. I've only used my ears to compare and never delved this far into analyzing them.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

wendylou

11 Jun 2017

EnochLight wrote:

ozone7-vintage-tape.jpg

Since I cannot trial VSTs for free, I was hoping for a comparison from someone who may own Ozone's Vintage Tape plug-in and any tape VST such as Softube's Tape.

EnochLight

11 Jun 2017

wendylou wrote:Since I cannot trial VSTs for free, I was hoping for a comparison from someone who may own Ozone's Vintage Tape plug-in and any tape VST such as Softube's Tape.
Huh? You can trial many VST's for free - at least Softube's Tape you can. I'm trialing it right now for free - it's a 21-day evaluation that's fully functional.

wendylou

11 Jun 2017

EnochLight wrote:
wendylou wrote:Since I cannot trial VSTs for free, I was hoping for a comparison from someone who may own Ozone's Vintage Tape plug-in and any tape VST such as Softube's Tape.
Huh? You can trial many VST's for free - at least Softube's Tape you can. I'm trialing it right now for free - it's a 21-day evaluation that's fully functional.
I didn't know that because the link in the OP's post goes to AudioDeluxe and there is no free trial there, just an option to buy on sale.

EnochLight

11 Jun 2017

wendylou wrote:I didn't know that because the link in the OP's post goes to AudioDeluxe and there is no free trial there, just an option to buy on sale.
Ahhhhh. Yeah, go direct to Softube. You can get the demo there. It uses iLok/Gobbler to install the demo license, though.

wendylou

11 Jun 2017

OK, thanks! Downloaded Softube Tape trial, compared it back-to-back with Ozone Vintage Tape in the rack, and... much to my surprise, I like Ozone Vintage Tape much better. Softube Tape looks skeuomorphic cool whereas Vintage Tape is just sliders. But I love the saturation on Vintage Tape and seem to have more control over the elements. No tape wobble but it does everything else very well. I'm such a sucker for nice looking interfaces and Softube Tape is cool, but I'm over that now. :puf_smile:

Zac

11 Jun 2017

It's nice to hear all of these opinions.
Last edited by Zac on 12 Jun 2017, edited 1 time in total.

Biolumin3sc3nt

12 Jun 2017

Demoing the Softube Tape plug now - I really like it so far! It's $66.36 @Everyplugin.com - I'll more than likely be picking this up

SA Studio

12 Jun 2017

ozone7-vintage-tape.jpg
I still haven't tried the re-imagined Pultec interface in Ozone 7.

#pultecnut

FLVZ

12 Jun 2017

EnochLight wrote:
CephaloPod wrote:What is the benefit of having crosstalk across tracks? Does it just help "glue" everything together?
Honestly, the goal is to have no cross talk in a good recording, but during the old analog days, just a light amount was almost unavoidable due to the technology's limits. I think it's popular in virtual analog DSP to mimic that old sound and "glue" it together with just the right amount of light track bleed. YMMV, of course. In some recordings it might sound cool, but in others it might ruin it, IMHO.
Couldn't this be mimicked using the Master Send FX. E.g. setup a generic plugin as a send, then every channel you want to cross talk you just enable the send, then tweak how much goes into the send. Isn't that pretty much channels cross talking ?

selig
RE Developer

12 Jun 2017

Flavolous wrote:
EnochLight wrote:
CephaloPod wrote:What is the benefit of having crosstalk across tracks? Does it just help "glue" everything together?
Honestly, the goal is to have no cross talk in a good recording, but during the old analog days, just a light amount was almost unavoidable due to the technology's limits. I think it's popular in virtual analog DSP to mimic that old sound and "glue" it together with just the right amount of light track bleed. YMMV, of course. In some recordings it might sound cool, but in others it might ruin it, IMHO.
Couldn't this be mimicked using the Master Send FX. E.g. setup a generic plugin as a send, then every channel you want to cross talk you just enable the send, then tweak how much goes into the send. Isn't that pretty much channels cross talking ?
I'm not certain crosstalk is full bandwidth - it likely favors some frequency ranges over others, so there might be some filtering involved - but you'd have to know what to filter etc for this to work (and I do not).

When I've tried using vintage Neve modules (in a sidecar configuration) for mastering as an experiment years ago, I (and my client) were disappointed in the amount the stereo image collapsed due to crosstalk. Whatever other advantages there were with this approach, the loss of the stereo width were noticeable enough to both of us to pursue other avenues for the project.

Interestingly, crosstalk between multitrack tape tracks and console channels when mixing (as opposed to crosstalk between stereo channels) is not often talked about and likely contributes at least to a small degree to what some folks like about analog mixing.

Sent from some crappy device using Tapatalk
Selig Audio, LLC

Kalm

12 Jun 2017

aeox wrote:people will buy this just because it looks cool
You got me there lol
Courtesy of The Brew | Watch My Tutorials | Mac Mini Intel i7 Quad-Core | 16 GB RAM | Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB | Reason 11 Suite | Studio One 5 Professional | Presonus Quantum | Komplete Kontrol 49 MK2 | Event Opals | Follow me on Instagram

Kalm

12 Jun 2017

ozone7-vintage-tape.jpg
Hopefully I'll get the Softube as a Mix FX soon. While I do love the Ozone emulation, it eats up CPU like all of their devices. The nice thing about the Ozone is that its hard to destroy. . . i mean utterly disintegrate sounds with it. Every adjustment is smooth and precise. Sometimes I have to A/B bypassing the plugin to make sure I heard what I thought I heard. But I use the Vintage tape to make a noticeable difference.

With the Softube, I'm expecting it to add character across all my tracks which could change my approach to mixing as it colors each individual stem in small proportions. These errors/flaws/anomalies will build up in the end. That'll sound different then strapping ozone on a buss or master.
Courtesy of The Brew | Watch My Tutorials | Mac Mini Intel i7 Quad-Core | 16 GB RAM | Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB | Reason 11 Suite | Studio One 5 Professional | Presonus Quantum | Komplete Kontrol 49 MK2 | Event Opals | Follow me on Instagram

FLVZ

12 Jun 2017

selig wrote:
Flavolous wrote:
EnochLight wrote:
I'm not certain crosstalk is full bandwidth - it likely favors some frequency ranges over others, so there might be some filtering involved - but you'd have to know what to filter etc for this to work (and I do not).

When I've tried using vintage Neve modules (in a sidecar configuration) for mastering as an experiment years ago, I (and my client) were disappointed in the amount the stereo image collapsed due to crosstalk. Whatever other advantages there were with this approach, the loss of the stereo width were noticeable enough to both of us to pursue other avenues for the project.

Interestingly, crosstalk between multitrack tape tracks and console channels when mixing (as opposed to crosstalk between stereo channels) is not often talked about and likely contributes at least to a small degree to what some folks like about analog mixing.

Sent from some crappy device using Tapatalk
I had a feeling it wouldn't be that simple :lol:

wendylou

12 Jun 2017

Kalm wrote:
Hopefully I'll get the Softube as a Mix FX soon. While I do love the Ozone emulation, it eats up CPU like all of their devices.
FYI, with Ozone 7 Advance, I can use each plug-in in the suite individually. Vintage Tape has no noticeable load on my system even with mutiple instances.
Kalm wrote:The nice thing about the Ozone is that its hard to destroy. . . i mean utterly disintegrate sounds with it. Every adjustment is smooth and precise. Sometimes I have to A/B bypassing the plugin to make sure I heard what I thought I heard. But I use the Vintage tape to make a noticeable difference.

With the Softube, I'm expecting it to add character across all my tracks which could change my approach to mixing as it colors each individual stem in small proportions. These errors/flaws/anomalies will build up in the end. That'll sound different then strapping ozone on a buss or master.
Good point, I hadn't considered how the sum total of Softube Tape across each mixer tracks would add up to a bigger effect than trying to do it with one effect on the master buss. How does it sound to you? Noticeable? I guess that would be the way to emulate a multitrack recorder.
Last edited by wendylou on 12 Jun 2017, edited 2 times in total.

Kalm

12 Jun 2017

wendylou wrote:
Kalm wrote:
Hopefully I'll get the Softube as a Mix FX soon. While I do love the Ozone emulation, it eats up CPU like all of their devices.
FYI, with Ozone 7 Advance, I can use each pig-in in the suite individually. Vintage Tape has no noticeable load on my system even with mutiple instances.
Kalm wrote:The nice thing about the Ozone is that its hard to destroy. . . i mean utterly disintegrate sounds with it. Every adjustment is smooth and precise. Sometimes I have to A/B bypassing the plugin to make sure I heard what I thought I heard. But I use the Vintage tape to make a noticeable difference.

Good point, I hadn't considered how the sum total of Softube Tape across each mixer tracks would add up to a bigger effect than trying to do it with one effect on the master buss. How does it sound to you? Noticeable? I guess that would be the way yo emulate a multitrack recorder.
I don't use Ozone Tape as much. Usually sparingly on master and sub busses. My computer specs are probably lower than yours so 20 instances of Ozone Tape will do damage coupled with other Advanced and Neutron advanced plugins.

I haven't used Softube emulations. I really want to get it, just have other priorities to afford :mrgreen:

• Information