Drum Machine beat making VST?

Discuss VST stuff here!
Rectro

05 Jun 2017

Hi

I normally make my own drums but to be honest they are so far off the quality of big house, trance loops that are out there. My question is is there a drum machine that is good for creating simple and complex beats/drums, and does anyone know how these high quality samples get made, what do the musicians use to create these high quality processed loops?

I tried the demo of Isotope Break Tweaker and even although its on a huge sale, I dont find anything inspiring coming from it, seems its just for making clitch beats. Im after high solid kicks, tight high hats, maybe I already have good enough stuff in Reason any pointers please?

Dan

ebbhead

05 Jun 2017

Have a look at Geist 2 from Fxpansion - might be just what you're looking for.

AttenuationHz

05 Jun 2017

Just trying Kick 2 from Sonic Academy. First impression, it is a very powerful kick synth considering buying it.
It is not too much of an ask for people or things to be the best version of itself!

Oquasec

05 Jun 2017

Sound Design is synthesis & sampling.
So learn good sound design.

As in, learn which mics are good enough for foley and which synths do what you want them to do.
Which means, get the best mic you can and use the most versatile [Like Reason] synth plugins you can.
In turn, suggests that you have to do alot of research of the types of synthesis that exist and what you can do to improve your style.

Favorite drumsynth is Kong & Parsec so far. :cool:
Last edited by Oquasec on 05 Jun 2017, edited 1 time in total.
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

aeox
Competition Winner

05 Jun 2017

good synthetic drums are made by layering(sometimes) and good effects processing such as EQ, compression, transient shaping, etc.

joeyluck

05 Jun 2017

I love microtonic! It sounds fantastic. Excellent presets. And easy to program or edit and get great sounds. And the morph feature is awesome.

jdotp

05 Jun 2017

A bunch of options exist, depending on what you are after.

Battery is one of the better drum machines available, but it's not cheap.

xFer (the folks who make serum) have Nerve, which I think is pretty awesome.

Astoria I think has Styx, but I wasn't a big fan.

I think my favorite is probably iZotope's BreakTweaker. You can use it as a typical sequencer/drum machine, or play it like an instrument, basically loop chopping. You can do a lot of powerful stuff with wavs/samples above and beyond what most drum machines are capable of.

(BTW, there's a crazy sale for Break Tweaker right now. It's usually like $300 and it's that plus another expensive tool, StutterEdit, for $99 : https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... oCUzTw_wcB )
--------
JP
No rhythm, can't carry a tune.

AttenuationHz

05 Jun 2017

jdotp wrote:A bunch of options exist, depending on what you are after.

Battery is one of the better drum machines available, but it's not cheap.

xFer (the folks who make serum) have Nerve, which I think is pretty awesome.

Astoria I think has Styx, but I wasn't a big fan.

I think my favorite is probably iZotope's BreakTweaker. You can use it as a typical sequencer/drum machine, or play it like an instrument, basically loop chopping. You can do a lot of powerful stuff with wavs/samples above and beyond what most drum machines are capable of.

(BTW, there's a crazy sale for Break Tweaker right now. It's usually like $300 and it's that plus another expensive tool, StutterEdit, for $99 : https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... oCUzTw_wcB )
How do you get the breaktweaker trial version to play samples from your library or are you stuck the shity samples from iZotope? Ah nvm found it Christ its a terrible UI. No way for it to import your reason Favorites that's pretty bad. Can you not drag and drop into it?
It is not too much of an ask for people or things to be the best version of itself!

• Information