iZotope Stutter Edit does reason support Midi effects?

Discuss VST stuff here!
Rectro

05 Jun 2017

Hi

Got the demo, can any one tell me if Reason support midi effects as I cant find a way to record Stutter edit. I can make a track for it, and it works life but the track dont let me record note data?

Thanks Dan

DinoJ

05 Jun 2017

Rectro wrote:Hi

Got the demo, can any one tell me if Reason support midi effects as I cant find a way to record Stutter edit. I can make a track for it, and it works life but the track dont let me record note data?

Thanks Dan
Hi Dan,

Not only do you have to create a track but you also then have to create a new note lane for that track (the little + symbol on sequencer track selection window.) It then works fine, took me a little while to figure this out too! :)

Rectro

05 Jun 2017

Thank you, that sorted that out.

Dan

digitalhecht

06 Jun 2017

In the name of all that is Holy...
Can someone please explain this for tards? Presumably, Stutter Edit needs audio data (i.e. an audio track, not MIDI notes) to manipulate (i.e the source). With that in mind, I create a quick audio recording, create Stutter Edit from the VST Effects rack. Now what? There is no way to insert a blank MIDI track that I can see...

digitalhecht

06 Jun 2017

digitalhecht wrote:In the name of all that is Holy...
Can someone please explain this for tards? Presumably, Stutter Edit needs audio data (i.e. an audio track, not MIDI notes) to manipulate (i.e the source). With that in mind, I create a quick audio recording, create Stutter Edit from the VST Effects rack. Now what? There is no way to insert a blank MIDI track that I can see...
Figured it out (Windows 10): Right-click on Stutter Edit in the rack and select "Create track for Stutter Edit" at the bottom. THEN click the plus sign. Voila! And even nicer? You can apply the effect to existing MIDI tracks/instruments. (*Mr. Burns voice*) Excellent...

Rectro

06 Jun 2017

Yup seems quite good. Can be applied to audio tracks, any VSTi or RE instrument.

Dan

SA Studio

06 Jun 2017

DinoJ wrote:

Thanks Dan
Hi Dan,

Not only do you have to create a track but you also then have to create a new note lane for that track (the little + symbol on sequencer track selection window.) It then works fine, took me a little while to figure this out too! :)
Still haven't used mine in 9.5 yet = thanks for the tip about the needing the note lane, you probably just saved me 20 minutes :P

Gosh

07 Jun 2017

Thanks Dan
stutter edit is not a midi effect, it is a midi controlled audio effect. a midi effect would be an effect that generates midi information (for example chord information from a single note, an arpeggiator, or even midi cc messages to control certain vst parameters, cc74 is often used to control the filter cutoff...). if you wanted to compare midi effects to something in reason it would be the players. sugar bytes thesys for example can be seen as a type of midi effect. hope i didn`t sound too pedantic ;)

BaldyBeat

26 Jun 2017

DinoJ wrote:
05 Jun 2017

Thanks Dan
Hi Dan,

I added a note lane but still nothing. Is this suppose to be re-routed to the instrument for it to work? If so, then I gotta wait for a friend to help because I suck at re-routing :(

Gorgon

27 Jun 2017

BaldyBeat wrote:
26 Jun 2017

I added a note lane but still nothing. Is this suppose to be re-routed to the instrument for it to work? If so, then I gotta wait for a friend to help because I suck at re-routing :(
Did you actually play on the midi controller? (or the built in keyboard)
"This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit."

BaldyBeat

27 Jun 2017

Gorgon wrote:
27 Jun 2017
BaldyBeat wrote:
26 Jun 2017

Midi Controller, I added the VST underneath the sound ( Piano for example ) and held the keys but it just played the same sound, then put it on top of it and same thing.

Gorgon

27 Jun 2017

BaldyBeat wrote:
27 Jun 2017
Gorgon wrote:
27 Jun 2017

Midi Controller, I added the VST underneath the sound ( Piano for example ) and held the keys but it just played the same sound, then put it on top of it and same thing.
Did you also have the proper track selected? The track for the Stutter Edit VST device.
"This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit."

BaldyBeat

28 Jun 2017

So I drag the VST itself to the Piano extension for example, a new note for it doesn't show, it just still shows the same piano. Is it suppose to show the name of it?

( sorry I'm not good with re-routing if that is what has to be done for this )

Gorgon

28 Jun 2017

BaldyBeat wrote:
28 Jun 2017
So I drag the VST itself to the Piano extension for example, a new note for it doesn't show, it just still shows the same piano. Is it suppose to show the name of it?

( sorry I'm not good with re-routing if that is what has to be done for this )
I asked you a simple question. Can you answer it?

BaldyBeat

28 Jun 2017

I did answer it. :shock:

When you create a new note, it makes a line above the sound you are using. When you click to play that, it plays the same sound instead of from the VST

Gorgon

28 Jun 2017

BaldyBeat wrote:
28 Jun 2017
I did answer it. :shock:

When you create a new note, it makes a line above the sound you are using. When you click to play that, it plays the same sound instead of from the VST
You don't need to "create notes". Your approach is all wrong. And you didn't answer this:
Did you also have the proper track selected?

BaldyBeat

28 Jun 2017

I was following what DinoJ said in the 2nd post.

When I add the VST, I don't see it come up on the list of rack units where the note lanes are if thats what you mean?

Because its an edit effect, so if i place it under the drum kit to have that glitch and press the key right away, the drum sound plays but not from that machine.

Gorgon

28 Jun 2017

BaldyBeat wrote:
28 Jun 2017
I was following what DinoJ said in the 2nd post.

When I add the VST, I don't see it come up on the list of rack units where the note lanes are if thats what you mean?

Because its an edit effect, so if i place it under the drum kit to have that glitch and press the key right away, the drum sound plays but not from that machine.
You are still not answering my question.

• Information