Big Doubt!! Respire? O Spire original Vst?

Discuss VST stuff here!
Jowe79

04 Jun 2017

Hi people! I have reason 9.5 i purchases sylent1 works fine..but one of my favourites synths like Spire.... you recommends me? Buy REspire?? Or Spire Vst works fine in reason 9.5?
Sounds better in Vst version? Less cpu load? More??
I wish your commnents guys!!
Thanks!

pjeudy

04 Jun 2017

Jowe79 wrote:Hi people! I have reason 9.5 i purchases sylent1 works fine..but one of my favourites synths like Spire.... you recommends me? Buy REspire?? Or Spire Vst works fine in reason 9.5?
Thanks!
I can't answer your question fully...but stay away from the idea of "which sounds better "VST or RE"
My opinion is that Propellerhead REASON needs a complete rewrite!
P.S: people should stop saying "No it won't happen" when referring to a complete rewrite of REASON. I have 3 letters for ya....VST
Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:53 pm

etyrnal

04 Jun 2017

ReSpire is terrible on the CPU. It uses WAY too much CPU. And it doesn't sound any better than other instruments.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Jowe79

04 Jun 2017

etyrnal wrote:ReSpire is terrible on the CPU. It uses WAY too much CPU. And it doesn't sound any better than other instruments.

Then?? And anyone tried Spire VST in reason?? Impressions?
Thanks

CephaloPod

04 Jun 2017

Jowe79 wrote:
etyrnal wrote:ReSpire is terrible on the CPU. It uses WAY too much CPU. And it doesn't sound any better than other instruments.

Thanks
It's been working fine for me.
2011 iMac i7; 24 GB RAM; OSX Sierra; Nektar LX 49; MOTU Microbook
Reason/Logic

EnochLight

04 Jun 2017

Jowe79 wrote:Hi people! I have reason 9.5 i purchases sylent1 works fine..but one of my favourites synths like Spire.... you recommends me? Buy REspire?? Or Spire Vst works fine in reason 9.5?
Thanks!
Spire VST works great in Reason, and you can resize the GUI/UX to full screen (plus use a darker theme if that's your thing). Spire RE is nice for those who don't want to suss about with VST, but I'd go with the VST if given a choice. It's especially easier to program and mess about with the effects, arp, and stepper in the VST. Currently, because the RE was built with the old RE SDK, it doesn't do changeable panels, and their design choices made compromises as a result. But check out what the VST looks like in Reason:
spire_full.JPG
spire_full.JPG (154.26 KiB) Viewed 4868 times
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Jowe79

04 Jun 2017

Looks great!!!! Thank you man!!! My laptop is i7 7700hq with ssd 1 tb and 16gb ram ddr4 enought with run vsts???
Thanks windows 10 64 bit

groggy1

05 Jun 2017

I agree with Enochlight: VST is better, in my opinion too

One other point that I don't think has been mentioned: With RE, there isn't a converter utility yet, but I heard they're working on one. But the nice thing about the VST is that you can just buy Spire patch-libraries and use them, without doing any conversion-step. For me, that makes things a little bit easier with the VST version.

Ostermilk

05 Jun 2017

Before you buy ask the devs if you can get a discount on the VST if you buy the RE.

A little communication can be very fruitful when it comes to alleviating doubts.

dhruan

05 Jun 2017

I think a solution like that (discount on the VST of XX € for the users who had bought ReSpire) was floated in the main ReSpire thread. So better check with the devs on that one. Would make getting ReSpire a much safer bet for me (think I will pull the trigger on it anyhow as I have liked what I have seen and heard so far).
soundcloud.com/armsgrade

dhruan

05 Jun 2017

Hmm, couldn't find it in the thread... so yeah, ask the devs. ;)
soundcloud.com/armsgrade

jdotp

05 Jun 2017

I'd recommend going for the regular Spire just due to the *gigantic* wealth of presets and packs out for it. It along with Serum and Sylenth have the most released packages. I'm not sure if respire can take presets/soundbanks from the vst version? I'm curious.
--------
JP
No rhythm, can't carry a tune.

raymondh

05 Jun 2017

At least for now:

ReSpire $59
Spire VST $189

That might help your decision :)

davidvilla

05 Jun 2017

Don't get the RE.
They usually have a 30% off sale on black Friday.
Learn Sylenth inside and out in the meantime.

Oquasec

05 Jun 2017

One will never need jbirdge. One will.
One is always supported. ONE ISN'T.
THEY HAVE THE SAME CONTROLS YOU DECIDE :lol:

But seriously if I had to pick it'd be the Re version of synths every single time.
Not touchin spire till I got enough for the Re. [Not even the trial]
Last edited by Oquasec on 06 Jun 2017, edited 1 time in total.
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

Massimo

06 Jun 2017

Not "long enough" Expanse user...and almost no experience with Spire/ReSpire a part from playing a bit with both demo versions...but sound wise they are both impressive. How does Expanse score against Spire...from a long term user POV?
I am tempted by ReSpire but at the same time I try as much as I can not to have more than one device in the rack with comparable capabilities...and in case of Spire, a part from the huge sound library, I am trying to find a reason to add it to the rack.
Between the two (Spire/ReSpire)...considering the current state of ReSPire, I much prefer the VST...even if they sound identical, I feel like for the Re version too many important functions have been squeezed into a tiny corner...
I guess things will be improved once they adopt the last SDK...but what about the final price then? If I buy ReSPire now at the intro price...a part from bugs fixing, as a 9.5 user, do we get the improved version included with the price...or would this be part of a full price upgrade?

...Apology to mix&match Expanse>Spire and Spire>ReSPire... :puf_wink:

madmacman

06 Jun 2017

Massimo wrote: I guess things will be improved once they adopt the last SDK...but what about the final price then? If I buy ReSPire now at the intro price...a part from bugs fixing, as a 9.5 user, do we get the improved version included with the price...or would this be part of a full price upgrade?
Or, even worse, they completely lose interest in the Rack Extension now that Reason has VST. They might fix bugs, but development slows down and they put focus on their VST version and consider ReSpire as "proof of concept".

I'm still undecided, but I think I'll skip...

Rectro

06 Jun 2017

I have both RE and VST, as already mentioned at this time the Rspire does have a heavy CPU load, but for me it does not stop me stacking up to 9 of them, but my computer is powerful. What I like about the ReSpire is the sound library is much easier to find patches within Reasons browser, I much prefer this, plus I can just keep pressing the down arrow on my keyboard to audition sounds, this is not the case for the VST Spire.

The sound between them are the same but the VST patches are louder which may give off the feeling VST is better but its not in terms of sound. The GUI is nice to work with using the VST over Respire, and I like that I can have it on my second monitor as big as if it where the real thing.

At this time only the Respire has its Macro knobs automatable.

Dan

Miss Controllerism

03 Sep 2017

my spire 1.1.13 VST crashes on reason ... any idea why?

scratchnsnifff

04 Sep 2017

I have both and the only difference is that the RE is buggy, they had a discount on It last week (the vst) and I went home to get it but the sale ended I asked them if the crossgrade would work they said sure about it but didn't get back to me so my impatient self paid full price. They actually made it up to me (when they absolutely did not need to) by giving me 90$ in store credit (90$ of preset packs) awesome customer service in the end. But as far as the vst or RE I say vst in this case because it works and works well. Iv had issues with REspire when using the para1-4 wavetables and when holding a note and scrolling through wavetables, the device crashes. The vst is more stable and lives up to the hype for what it is. The RE had mad potential but until it's fully fixed the vst wins in this case :) hope this helps
Mayor of plucktown :evil:

Oquasec

04 Sep 2017

Ima wait till the Re version bug free before getting it.
No jbridge is enough reason for me to wait for the Re version.
Last edited by Oquasec on 05 Sep 2017, edited 1 time in total.
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

abeonis

04 Sep 2017

Jowe79 wrote:
04 Jun 2017

Thanks
I use various instances of Spire VST. Works great.
Windows 10 64-bit | Reason 9.5 | Live 10 Suite + Push2 | Intel i7 8700K | 16 GB RAM | Scarlett 6x6 | Arturia MiniLab MK II | 2x Novation LaunchControl XL

groggy1

05 Sep 2017

Rectro wrote:
06 Jun 2017
What I like about the ReSpire is the sound library is much easier to find patches within Reasons browser, I much prefer this, plus I can just keep pressing the down arrow on my keyboard to audition sounds, this is not the case for the VST Spire.
To work around this, one thing I've been doing is saving all my patches from Spire VST by adding a combinator. I.e.once wrapped in a combinator, you can save the combinator patch, and then browse those patches using the Reason browser.

This trick works for any VST, and I've been LOVING the ability to save my favorite VST patches to a central file-directory that I can browse...

EdGrip

06 Sep 2017

I think at the intro price, ReSpire was worth a punt.

But at full price, still with a few bugs to iron out, and without anything going on CV-wise, I think I would rather have a synth I can use in any DAW and which is (apparently) bug free now. Which is a shame, as without RE sales the RE is less likely to get the ongoing work it needs, and leaves me sharing the view that it was a bit of a cowboy cut-our-losses release from RS.

scratchnsnifff

06 Sep 2017

EdGrip wrote:
06 Sep 2017
I think at the intro price, ReSpire was worth a punt.

But at full price, still with a few bugs to iron out, and without anything going on CV-wise, I think I would rather have a synth I can use in any DAW and which is (apparently) bug free now. Which is a shame, as without RE sales the RE is less likely to get the ongoing work it needs, and leaves me sharing the view that it was a bit of a cowboy cut-our-losses release from RS.y
Every now and again my vst of spire will glitch it goes so far out of tune it's similar as if you had pitch bend to. -120 semitones lol randomly happens when you have a note held down and are changing parameters also when automating the filter env amount you hear a slight crackle
Mayor of plucktown :evil:

• Information