Dune 2 Causes Reason to Crash Every Time

Discuss VST stuff here!
DonnieAlan

01 Jun 2017

Not sure what's going on, but every time I tried to import Synapse Audio's Dune 2 VI into the rack, Reason crashes. I can get the rack module there, but when I click on the screen to open Dune 2, bam, I get an alert window saying there's an error in Reason and it will shut down.

Anyone have any idea why this might happen? Dune 2 is 64bit. Thanks

CephaloPod

01 Jun 2017

It's working fine here. V 2.22. OSX.
2011 iMac i7; 24 GB RAM; OSX Sierra; Nektar LX 49; MOTU Microbook
Reason/Logic

EnochLight

01 Jun 2017

DonnieAlan wrote:Not sure what's going on, but every time I tried to import Synapse Audio's Dune 2 VI into the rack, Reason crashes. I can get the rack module there, but when I click on the screen to open Dune 2, bam, I get an alert window saying there's an error in Reason and it will shut down.

Anyone have any idea why this might happen? Dune 2 is 64bit. Thanks
I'm using Dune 2 (version 2.5) and it works great - completely stable. I'm even using the "sT_Harbor Blue" skin. I'd send off a bug report to Propellerhead as well as Richard and Marcin @ Synapse Audio.

*EDIT: I see that 2.51 is the latest version (and I'm on 2.5). What version are you on?
Last edited by EnochLight on 01 Jun 2017, edited 1 time in total.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

CephaloPod

01 Jun 2017

EnochLight wrote:
*EDIT: I see that 2.51 is the latest version (and I'm on 2.5). What version are you on?
Dang, and here I am at 2.22. Guess I'll need to update that now. Sigh.

edit: NOPE. 2.22 is current VST version in OSX, apparently.
Last edited by CephaloPod on 01 Jun 2017, edited 1 time in total.
Reason/Logic

EnochLight

01 Jun 2017

CephaloPod wrote:
EnochLight wrote:
Dang, and here I am at 2.22. Guess I'll need to update that now. Sigh.
You'll love it! 2.5 adds: new virtual-analog filter models, new ADSR envelopes and new patches - increasing the factory library to 500 patches.

Details:

New Patches

The factory library has been extended to a total of 500 patches. The list of new patches can be found here:
http://www.synapse-audio.com/public/dun ... atches.pdf

Furthermore, as a little xmas gift, we added 250 Ambient patches by sound designer Armin Malbertz. The set is split into two parts A and B and can be accessed by clicking on "Soundbank". So the total number of patches that DUNE 2 comes with is now 750.

New Envelopes

The Filter ADSR section in version 2.5 gains an "Analog" switch, which uses a novel circuit-simulated envelope model for the filter and amplitude envelope. The circuit model is based on discrete vintage-analog electronics, and models the envelope with a very high accuracy.

The difference is usually best audible with fast attack times, where it creates a very "snappy" envelope. As an example patch, try the new patch "Precision Trance KS" then turn on/off the analog envelope to hear what it does to the sound.

New Filters

We added two new filter models named "Expander", a 12 dB type and a 24 dB type. What's different is that those filters are oversampled and can deal with saturation/drive much better than the previous filters. They also feature an improved resonance behavior above 10 khz and were designed to work best with the new analog envelopes.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

CephaloPod

01 Jun 2017

Hmmm. I ran the latest installer and now have the 2.5 AU version, but VST still stays 2.22. Guess I'll have to look into this.

edit: 2.22 VST is the latest version of Dune 2.5 on Mac OSX. Because that makes perfect sense.
Last edited by CephaloPod on 01 Jun 2017, edited 1 time in total.
Reason/Logic

EnochLight

01 Jun 2017

CephaloPod wrote:Hmmm. I ran the latest installer and now have the 2.5 AU version, but VST still stays 2.22. Guess I'll have to look into this.
Did you download the installer from your account at Synapse's website? Mine says 2.51 (VST).

CephaloPod

01 Jun 2017

EnochLight wrote:
CephaloPod wrote:Hmmm. I ran the latest installer and now have the 2.5 AU version, but VST still stays 2.22. Guess I'll have to look into this.
Did you download the installer from your account at Synapse's website? Mine says 2.51 (VST).
Yes, I did. It installed AU and VST versions, supposedly. The VST version says it's 2.22, but it has the 2.5 features, so I guess the version number is just incorrect. I dunno.
Reason/Logic

EnochLight

01 Jun 2017

CephaloPod wrote:
EnochLight wrote:
Yes, I did. It installed AU and VST versions, supposedly. The VST version says it's 2.22, but it has the 2.5 features, so I guess the version number is just incorrect. I dunno.
That's really strange. Did you uninstall it first? Regardless, if it's working OK and has the 2.5 features, I guess I wouldn't worry about it Lol!

CephaloPod

01 Jun 2017

EnochLight wrote:
CephaloPod wrote:
EnochLight wrote:
That's really strange. Did you uninstall it first? Regardless, if it's working OK and has the 2.5 features, I guess I wouldn't worry about it Lol!
I did not uninstall first. I almost never do (and shouldn't need to). Who knows, next time I restart my Mac, the version number might be accurate. Gotta love plug-ins!!!!
Reason/Logic

CephaloPod

01 Jun 2017

CephaloPod wrote:
I did not uninstall first. I almost never do (and shouldn't need to). Who knows, next time I restart my Mac, the version number might be accurate. Gotta love plug-ins!!!!
And that's exactly what happened...
Reason/Logic

DonnieAlan

02 Jun 2017

Now that you ask, I need to check what version I have. I might be a version behind. I try to keep up with this stuff, but there's always an upgrade somewhere on something! I'm on Windows 10.

DonnieAlan

02 Jun 2017

I have the latest version, but it still crashes the minute you try to open it in the rack. So that's an issue!

EnochLight

02 Jun 2017

DonnieAlan wrote:I have the latest version, but it still crashes the minute you try to open it in the rack. So that's an issue!
That sucks. Have you submitted a bug report to Propellerhead and/or Marcin and Richard at Synapse?

DonnieAlan

02 Jun 2017

EnochLight wrote:
DonnieAlan wrote:I have the latest version, but it still crashes the minute you try to open it in the rack. So that's an issue!
That sucks. Have you submitted a bug report to Propellerhead and/or Marcin and Richard at Synapse?
Not yet, but I plan to. Thanks

• Information