No Complaints with VST

Discuss VST stuff here!
Jmax

01 Jun 2017

Well, I for one am loving the VST integration.

VST's I have installed

Ozone 7
Kontakt 5.6
Dune 2 / The Legend
Spire
Serum
Omnisphere 2
Tundra (FX)

To finish it off I'll install Massive, Sylenth1 and probably Microtonic and Soundtoys FX, but that is it.

I have to say Dune 2 is such a beast and there is a lot of nice presets libraries available out there. The Legend takes care of business with upper leads/strings. Synapse really are at the top in my opinion (I had the Legend RE already but also picked up the VST crossgrade.

DSP has been great in my opinion, I can run Omnisphere, Serum and Dune 2 with only one bar of Dsp. As long as you don't push things to hard you'll be great, just like in any DAW.

What plugins have you installed? any major ones I missed?

SA Studio

01 Jun 2017

Jmax wrote:Well, I for one am loving the VST integration.

VST's I have installed

Ozone 7
Kontakt 5.6
Dune 2 / The Legend
Spire
Serum
Omnisphere 2
Tundra (FX)

To finish it off I'll install Massive, Sylenth1 and probably Microtonic and Soundtoys FX, but that is it.

I have to say Dune 2 is such a beast and there is a lot of nice presets libraries available out there. The Legend takes care of business with upper leads/strings. Synapse really are at the top in my opinion (I had the Legend RE already but also picked up the VST crossgrade.

DSP has been great in my opinion, I can run Omnisphere, Serum and Dune 2 with only one bar of Dsp. As long as you don't push things to hard you'll be great, just like in any DAW.

Awesome report. I keep seeing posts in FB groups about DSP issues and when I ask about CPU limit in Prefs, some people have their limit set to 80% :/

Mine's always set to None, as I've never heard a reason to NOT set it at none. What's yours set at, just curious?

phaza

01 Jun 2017

How do you send midi to different channels on multi output vst like kontakt?

joeyluck

01 Jun 2017

I've been experiencing some Reason performance issues in general in macOS Sierra. But all the VSTs I've tried have been right on par with that same performance. Other DAWs however, in macOS, do perform much better.

Jmax

01 Jun 2017

SA Studio wrote:

VST's I have installed

Ozone 7
Kontakt 5.6
Dune 2 / The Legend
Spire
Serum
Omnisphere 2
Tundra (FX)

Awesome report. I keep seeing posts in FB groups about DSP issues and when I ask about CPU limit in Prefs, some people have their limit set to 80% :/

Mine's always set to None, as I've never heard a reason to NOT set it at none. What's yours set at, just curious?
I have it set to none as well. Yes some VST's are extremely DSP extensive. As are some RE. I recently upgraded from 16 gig ram to 32 and noticed a nice performance difference. Some say 16 is plenty, but I'm thinking 32 for a smoother ride.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jmax

01 Jun 2017

phaza wrote:How do you send midi to different channels on multi output vst like kontakt?
I'm not sure if it's possible yet.

Jmax

01 Jun 2017

joeyluck wrote:I've been experiencing some Reason performance issues in general in macOS Sierra. But all the VSTs I've tried have been right on par with that same performance. Other DAWs however, in macOS, do perform much better.
Yes, the integration and performance seems on par with RE and it will only get better.
I love iPhone/iPad but that's as far as I go with Mac. Just found more compatibility and power with Win.

joeyluck

01 Jun 2017

Jmax wrote:
joeyluck wrote:I've been experiencing some Reason performance issues in general in macOS Sierra. But all the VSTs I've tried have been right on par with that same performance. Other DAWs however, in macOS, do perform much better.
Yes, the integration and performance seems on par with RE and it will only get better.
I love iPhone/iPad but that's as far as I go with Mac. Just found more compatibility and power with Win.

It's just a Reason issue for me at the moment. Everything else is fantastic. And luckily I'm pretty efficient anyways when using Reason. But still annoying.

SA Studio

01 Jun 2017

Jmax wrote:
SA Studio wrote:

VST's I have installed

Ozone 7
Kontakt 5.6
Dune 2 / The Legend
Spire
Serum
Omnisphere 2
Tundra (FX)

I have it set to none as well. Yes some VST's are extremely DSP extensive. As are some RE. I recently upgraded from 16 gig ram to 32 and noticed a nice performance difference. Some say 16 is plenty, but I'm thinking 32 for a smoother ride.

Nice. Yeah, great reports on the whole from people who have even done some of the simplest of optimizing, so that's great news to me. I was definitely prepared for a grace-period of sorts allowing them to work out most problems and not be to bummed about this update if things are a little behind other DAW's performance. So besides the unique issues with UAD plugs at the moment, which I'm sure will be sorted soon, this update sounds like it's going great.

Jmax

02 Jun 2017

SA Studio wrote:
Jmax wrote:
SA Studio wrote:

VST's I have installed

Ozone 7
Kontakt 5.6
Dune 2 / The Legend
Spire
Serum
Omnisphere 2
Tundra (FX)

Nice. Yeah, great reports on the whole from people who have even done some of the simplest of optimizing, so that's great news to me. I was definitely prepared for a grace-period of sorts allowing them to work out most problems and not be to bummed about this update if things are a little behind other DAW's performance. So besides the unique issues with UAD plugs at the moment, which I'm sure will be sorted soon, this update sounds like it's going great.
Yeah Studio One 3 had quite a heavy DSP usage with VSTs, it can get quite laggy after 5 or 6 major plugs. But they recently came out with a great update. So far Reason's DSP seems great. And it will only get better, I hope.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Skullture

02 Jun 2017

Loving every minute of this new age in Reason :puf_bigsmile: they did a great job in sweden

Exowildebeest

02 Jun 2017

SA Studio wrote:

VST's I have installed

Ozone 7
Kontakt 5.6
Dune 2 / The Legend
Spire
Serum
Omnisphere 2
Tundra (FX)

Same here.

If I have to, I'll work right through the auditory cobwebs of crackles and glitches when sequencing a track that can't be played in real time. Call it offline composing, like they did before the invention of computers ;)

joeyluck

02 Jun 2017

I have however recently had Reason unexpectedly quit on me :puf_unhappy: First time ever while using Reason since version 1. And I can't exactly pinpoint why. I think I have it narrowed down to a few VSTs as the culprit(s). But currently, when I decide to load VSTs, I am still working in a beta mindset... where I am mostly only playing around with VSTs and not getting too far ahead in a project with VSTs. I always incessantly save, so I'm still doing that. But I'm just practicing extra caution. I know there are many things for them to work out and that it will get there in time. Reason is just as stable when using with Reason devices and Rack Extensions. I also saw some mention that sandboxing for VSTs is a future plan for Reason.

Oquasec

02 Jun 2017

I understand if you had a deadline or something. If not and you're a regular dude, doing experiments and snippets is fine :lol:
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

Social Exodus

02 Jun 2017

Other than Line 6 POD Farm 2.5 Platinum, I don't have any VSTs that I don't already have a Rack Extension for with the exception of Softube Classic Channel. But in that case, I have the Kuassa knock offs of Pultec gear and a few compressors including the Cakewalk RE-2a so I feel like I don't need to even bother with them much personally. I understand why people who are way more into this than I am are thrilled with this development though. I don't like the idea that people are getting weird crashes in Reason now though -- I've never had even one myself.
:reason: 11 Suite/12 Perpetual License :re: Too many to count :refill: A few choice items

Nektar Panorama P4
Korg padKontrol

CephaloPod

02 Jun 2017

My VST's in Reason:

NI Komplete (was 9, now 11...I caved late last night)
Alchemy (the last version before it got sucked up by Apple...still works! Very happy about that)
Omnisphere 2
Dune 2.5
Analogue Lab 2
Zebra 2
Diva
Spire

So much fun rigging up CV and Players to these guys, no offense to the cool RE synths I have in Reason.

All work flawlessly so far. I'm not sure I'm noticing the Reason DSP hit others are seeing (OSX), but it's not something I'm too concerned about. I've got an older machine as it is (6+ years). Yeah, some Diva and Omnisphere patches kick its ass, but that happens in Logic X too.

My main complaints have nothing to do with Reason and is a general complaint about AU/VST's in general, specifically on OSX.

1. Do I have the most current versions? How would I even know? Must go to every developer website to check. Must remember login for that site. Can't remember. Look through old emails to find login. Not fun. Hit install. Hope nothing breaks.

2. Installers put shit all over my file system. Omnisphere needs presets in Library/Application Support. Other developers put them in Library/Audio/plug-ins (of course, there are two of these folders...which one?). Spire likes presets somewhere else, can't remember where. Others put them in /Documents. Others put stuff in /Music. Why can't developers get on the same page here? Don't get me started trying to use presets in Reaktor...that said...

3. ...NI stuff gets its own shout-out here. WTF is wrong with those guys? They must all be sociopaths over there at NI. Stuff strewn far and wide across my file system, duplicate folders, moving things around hides them from the programs, must rebuild Kontakt database, Reaktor files confuse the hell out of me (Players, Instruments, Ensembles, Patches, Screensets, all in their persnickety places). I spent over an hour last night getting my Kontakt stuff consolidated into one place and findable, haven't even started the Reaktor stuff yet. Komplete needs a komplete overhaul when it comes to usability, IMO. What a soul-crushing experience it can be messing with all this stuff!

OK, so there is my VST rant. Feel free to rate it /10.
2011 iMac i7; 24 GB RAM; OSX Sierra; Nektar LX 49; MOTU Microbook
Reason/Logic

tobypearce

02 Jun 2017

Out of interest, could you compare the DSP usage of Legend RE vs VST?
With an empty rack, how many instances of the RE or VST can you have playing a single note until you run out of DSP.

I've been experimenting with the same with the VSTs that I own. I've been very surprised so far. Valhalla Shimmer, a reverb I love, seems amazingly optimised - you can have more instances of it than you can the RV7000 in convolution mode.
https://onetrackperweek.com
One year - 52 tracks - Electronic Dance Music

Oquasec

02 Jun 2017

I own kontakt, but not komplete (saw the plugins & did research on them, pass)
But I would deal with kontakt again and save the $$$ for falcon & more uvi libraries.
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

Jmax

02 Jun 2017

joeyluck wrote:I have however recently had Reason unexpectedly quit on me :puf_unhappy: First time ever while using Reason since version 1. And I can't exactly pinpoint why. I think I have it narrowed down to a few VSTs as the culprit(s). But currently, when I decide to load VSTs, I am still working in a beta mindset... where I am mostly only playing around with VSTs and not getting too far ahead in a project with VSTs. I always incessantly save, so I'm still doing that. But I'm just practicing extra caution. I know there are many things for them to work out and that it will get there in time. Reason is just as stable when using with Reason devices and Rack Extensions. I also saw some mention that sandboxing for VSTs is a future plan for Reason.
Yeah the first time Reason scanned my VST folder it quit on me. But since then not an issue. I think the key is to use well known plug-ins and not an excessive amount (aside from the UAD stuff which is being updated I hear). But regardless, there are going to be some errors with the VSTs themselves fitting in to the Reason DAW. Strangely enough, all this talk about VSTs causing errors and shut downs, I've found to be quite rare. Using Studio One 3 I don't think I"ve ever had it completely shut down on me. Ableton has also been solid. I think if your system can handle the plugs and is configured right you stand a better chance of running things smoothly.

Jmax

02 Jun 2017

tobypearce wrote:Out of interest, could you compare the DSP usage of Legend RE vs VST?
With an empty rack, how many instances of the RE or VST can you have playing a single note until you run out of DSP.

I've been experimenting with the same with the VSTs that I own. I've been very surprised so far. Valhalla Shimmer, a reverb I love, seems amazingly optimised - you can have more instances of it than you can the RV7000 in convolution mode.
I have both Legends. Although I haven't run a test to compare DSP usage, they seem just about identical in every other way. Such a pretty looking synth! except that the RE integrates better obviously.

spikey

02 Jun 2017

Other than the UAD plugins issue I am liking Reason 9.5!!!

QVprod

02 Jun 2017

CephaloPod wrote:My VST's in Reason:

1. Do I have the most current versions? How would I even know? Must go to every developer website to check. Must remember login for that site. Can't remember. Look through old emails to find login. Not fun. Hit install. Hope nothing breaks.
I generally get emails from developers when there's an update for a plugin. At least from established developers, but VSTs afaik don't really get updated that much unless theres a problem. If it works fine on your system, there's no need to worry about updates.

groggy1

03 Jun 2017

CephaloPod wrote:My VST's in Reason:

NI Komplete (was 9, now 11...I caved late last night)
Alchemy (the last version before it got sucked up by Apple...still works! Very happy about that)
Omnisphere 2
Dune 2.5
Analogue Lab 2
Zebra 2
Diva
Spire

So much fun rigging up CV and Players to these guys, no offense to the cool RE synths I have in Reason.

All work flawlessly so far. I'm not sure I'm noticing the Reason DSP hit others are seeing (OSX), but it's not something I'm too concerned about. I've got an older machine as it is (6+ years). Yeah, some Diva and Omnisphere patches kick its ass, but that happens in Logic X too.

My main complaints have nothing to do with Reason and is a general complaint about AU/VST's in general, specifically on OSX.

2. Installers put shit all over my file system. Omnisphere needs presets in Library/Application Support. Other developers put them in Library/Audio/plug-ins (of course, there are two of these folders...which one?). Spire likes presets somewhere else, can't remember where. Others put them in /Documents. Others put stuff in /Music. Why can't developers get on the same page here? Don't get me started trying to use presets in Reaktor...that said...

3. ...NI stuff gets its own shout-out here. WTF is wrong with those guys? They must all be sociopaths over there at NI. Stuff strewn far and wide across my file system, duplicate folders, moving things around hides them from the programs, must rebuild Kontakt database, Reaktor files confuse the hell out of me (Players, Instruments, Ensembles, Patches, Screensets, all in their persnickety places). I spent over an hour last night getting my Kontakt stuff consolidated into one place and findable, haven't even started the Reaktor stuff yet. Komplete needs a komplete overhaul when it comes to usability, IMO. What a soul-crushing experience it can be messing with all this stuff!

OK, so there is my VST rant. Feel free to rate it /10.
On the NI stuff, I agree it's a bit of a pain. I stopped getting Complete several years ago, it was just too much hassle to upgrade each time.
The one NI VST that I can't live without though is Reaktor, so I upgraded to the latest version of that, and I think I'll just keep upgrading Reaktor. I'm happy now.

SA Studio

03 Jun 2017

I'm updated and have over 250 VST's active and working.

I didn't have one failure in the bunch. When I used Jbridge, it converted some 177 objects for me :lol: Wasn't kidding I've been using VST's a LONG time. I have so many. And literally, just about all my favorites were 32bits. Jbridge batch converts them all, and Reason recognizes everything.

I still haven't loaded up a song file from my last CD thats like, 30 or more tracks of audio to check performance comparison yet, I'm just amazed at the progress. I'm nervous to do it because nothing triggers me more than performance loss between versions :lol: No, really. :shock:

I'm so amazed, happy, shocked ~ The integration is amazing to me. The future is absolutely wide open now.

Some stability concerns really need hemmed in = Keep in mind, amigos, Reason has a form of Crash Protection. Most of us don't even know it's there cuz we never crash. :D Heck, I was just reminded by a guys post on FB. I'm pretty sure, Reason will save what you're working on and you're given a prompt to recover the next time to restart and that it's quite reliable.

Many programs are like that, finally, these days. Audition 3.0 had crash protection for years. (since 2006) My Camtasia program even has crash protection. As much of a Reaper fan I am, it does NOT have any form of crash protection. :thumbs_down: But Reason does :thumbs_up:

Fear, not! Things are only going to get better from here. And I'll say again, once all the other guys who are so used to Studio One, PT, Reaper, Logic, Ableton, get to experience the Reason environment and get a taste of the sensibility, class, and reliability of Props software, we'll see a lot more users

BiggsLord_OnaBeat

04 Jun 2017

Can somebody please help me?!?! Im tryna get nexus to work in reason 9.5 and can't figure it out for the life of me

• Information