Anyone else being selective in what VSTs they add to Reason?

Discuss VST stuff here!
Social Exodus

30 May 2017

Honestly, I have mixed feelings about adding VSTs to Reason. Over the last 4 years, I have basically assembled two complete environments -- Reason and SONAR. I've caught sales in both and I see them as useful to two different purposes. But overall I have what I'd need in both environments and in many (if not most) cases adding VSTs would be redundant. So I am being selective on which of my VSTs I add into Reason. So far, I have added back Line 6 POD Farm (Anyone else thing VSTs were the REAL reason Line6 got dropped in the first place?). I would also like to add in both Overloud's TH3 Full and Rematrix but I am hoping to decipher where JUST these two VSTs reside as opposed to the directories Cakewalk has setup which adds all their stuff (which only works in SONAR in most cases).

Anyone else doing something similar?
:reason: 11 Suite/12 Perpetual License :re: Too many to count :refill: A few choice items

Nektar Panorama P4
Korg padKontrol

darkmaer

30 May 2017

Well not being someone who rewires at all in the past I thought I could change up workflow by rewiring into studio one and using all my instruments in reason, but benefit with the midi workflow in S1. When I tried it though I found out when reason is in slave mode it doesn't have access to VSTs.

So I'm trying to now separate my creating from my mixing. So I'm making sure all my mixing VSTs aren't being shown up and just having my instruments.

Which will hopefully help as well cause I tend to spend too much time making it sound good as I go along instead of just focusing on making the music.

As far as line 6. I just think they had a deal with them. I remember I had question and for the US I had to contact line 6 cause they were distributing the software in the us (boxed versions). Propellerhead is now doing the distribution so line 6 is no longer helping therefore ties were severed.

groggy1

30 May 2017

Siberian Khatru wrote:Honestly, I have mixed feelings about adding VSTs to Reason. Over the last 4 years, I have basically assembled two complete environments -- Reason and SONAR. I've caught sales in both and I see them as useful to two different purposes. But overall I have what I'd need in both environments and in many (if not most) cases adding VSTs would be redundant. So I am being selective on which of my VSTs I add into Reason. So far, I have added back Line 6 POD Farm (Anyone else thing VSTs were the REAL reason Line6 got dropped in the first place?). I would also like to add in both Overloud's TH3 Full and Rematrix but I am hoping to decipher where JUST these two VSTs reside as opposed to the directories Cakewalk has setup which adds all their stuff (which only works in SONAR in most cases).

Anyone else doing something similar?
I also was using Reason + Sonar for the past 5+ years. I was using Reason because I love the workflow. I was using Sonar to host my VSTs.

But now that Reason supports VST, I have zero use for Sonar going forward, so I've uninstalled it.

But it sounds like you still have a use/need for Sonar, so you must still need it. Nothing wrong with that.

robthompson

31 May 2017

groggy1 wrote: I also was using Reason + Sonar for the past 5+ years. I was using Reason because I love the workflow. I was using Sonar to host my VSTs.
But now that Reason supports VST, I have zero use for Sonar going forward, so I've uninstalled it.
But it sounds like you still have a use/need for Sonar, so you must still need it. Nothing wrong with that.
I'm exactly the same. I can add though that I never 'got on' with Sonar; something about the interface just never made it easy for me to get the music out. If it weren't for the VST support I'd long since have abandoned Sonar for my beloved Reason installation. Now I have what I need, in Reason.

However, I paid good money for Sonar and it does have stuff which won't work in Reason (yet..?), Dimension Pro, Rapture, some other stuff, so I'll keep it active and updated.

For me, aesthetics are important. I'm not really someone who enjoys creating the sounds, twiddling the knobs, pushing the faders. I need a clean, functional, and bright interface, coupled with a shed-load of high-quality presets. That way I spend my quality time producing the music and not creating the instruments. I know it's different for others, and I wish them the best of luck!

Back in the early 80s, when I received my (then) pride and joy, the Korg Mono/Poly, I twiddled away like the best of them, but that was because it came with a limited list of presets. Now I let others do the work - and I pay them to do it, so everybody wins!

Rob

MDTerps2015

31 May 2017

Yeah I'm being selective. I got about ten vst's but all from name brand developers. Fracture was free, Ott was free, Hybrid was free, XLN piano, Eq3,Flux Bittersweet, All of Tokyo Dawn free stuff, Twist 2.3, NovationBass and Stereo, and a couple others. Im really looking forward too drawmer (buying) but with Hybrid (which is an absolute beast) i might go for a synth other than Serum but more like Spire. Im really in love with waves but I can't do the upgrade thingy if I have a lot of them. I would buy at least ten waves plugins but I'm not down with the upgrade price. I think Reason has done a good job implementing this as I have had no problems with anything after I figured out what to do and how it works. Reason is my choice and Im staying with it. Only been kicked out once and its fixed.
150 paid RExtensions and still no Grammy

spikey

31 May 2017

That's humorous to me considering how they bamboozled the Mac folks during the "life-time" update farce. But on a positive note I will also be using Reason a lot more now myself! :thumbs_up: As far as being selective, I'm installing what I use.

• Information