Thinking of getting Serum

Discuss VST stuff here!
samp

30 May 2017

Hi all. Now that vst's are supported i kinda want to get Serum. Is there any big difference in this and thor malstrom etc? Thanks

aquil

30 May 2017

Try the demo first, maybe you will love it. One thing i was missing in Maltröm was an option to load own wavetables. Serum can do this. Simply drop wav files into the OSC section and boom. The resample function inside Serum is very powerful, too. Its an pretty nice VSTi for generating growl sounds, reese patches and so on. You can also load waveforms from other synths into Serum and use them there. I recorded the SAW waveform of my SH201 to do some Supersaws inside Serum. Works great.

Oquasec

30 May 2017

If you want to compare serum, compare it to thor, expanse & tableosc.
Serum is a wavetable plugin
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

samp

30 May 2017

Nice. Thanks. I will give the demo a try.

xbitz

30 May 2017

just mention it can be rented too https://splice.com/plugins/15493-serum- ... er-records for longer period testing for ex.
:reason: :recycle: :re: :record: :refill: :rt:

xylyx

09 Jul 2017

It's a shame that a rent to own scheme hasn't happened with some of the more expensive RE's...the fact I can buy Serum on this basis is a huge plus over Expanse, even though I would rather keep as much of my 'plugin' use in the RE format as possible. Sylenth has also become available to purchase this way too, so it will be interesting to see whether any other companies producing more expensive plugins will follow suit...u-he or NI, for example.

Oquasec

09 Jul 2017

I can get the same tones as serum, using any built in reason synth.
And expanse is 150$ with 4 morphable oscs so I got that months ago.

They need a subscription model for their plugins for 5-10$ a month and the plugin stops working if the plan cancel [third option]
Producer/Programmer.

Hauser+Quaid

09 Jul 2017

Oquasec wrote:
09 Jul 2017
I have to call this one. There is nothing built in to Reason that can come even remotely close to the tones you can get out of Serum. Serum is practically the last synth you'll ever need.

I haven't tried Expanse yet, I'm sure it comes close, but Serum really is in a league of its own.

Oquasec

09 Jul 2017

Hauser+Quaid wrote:
09 Jul 2017
Oquasec wrote:
09 Jul 2017
I have to call this one. There is nothing built in to Reason that can come even remotely close to the tones you can get out of Serum. Serum is practically the last synth you'll ever need.

I haven't tried Expanse yet, I'm sure it comes close, but Serum really is in a league of its own.
Thor can. subtractor can [called lazorstorm out ages ago]
and maelstrom. do you even use these plugins? expanse is what serum is, with 4 oscillators and more filters.
Producer/Programmer.

Hauser+Quaid

09 Jul 2017

Oquasec wrote:
09 Jul 2017
Thor can. subtractor can [called lazorstorm out ages ago]
and maelstrom. do you even use these plugins? expanse is what serum is, with 4 oscillators and more filters.
I'm gonna guess that you've never used Serum. Neither Thor, Subtractor nor Maelstrom can import wavetables. So I could simply import my own wavetable into Serum and make a sound that can't be made in those.

Again I haven't tried Expanse, it looks like it can do some great things as well. But again Serum has OTT built right into it, which is a unique effect in and of itself, no other plug has that.

I can go on about how Serum can build its own wavetables, all the different modes you can use, and there's even a built-in text to speech module where you can type something in and it'll build a wavetable from that. I don't think another synth exists that can say that.

Oquasec

09 Jul 2017

My answer, will be questions questions. [I am not anti serum, but just stating some info]

What is OTT?

What is expanse? http://blamsoft.com/rack-extensions/exp ... nthesizer/

What is table osc? https://shop.propellerheads.se/product/ ... scillator/

What is NNXT?

What is blofeld's wavetable creator?

What does thor need to do for that level on control?

What is multiband?
Producer/Programmer.

aeox
Competition Winner

09 Jul 2017

the main thing about Serum isn't just the wavetables.
it's in the quality of the oscillators, fm capabilities, and the filter section that really sets it apart from any other synth.

i use expanse for basically everything, but when it comes to complex amazing squelchy bass sounds nothing really compares to serum.

eXpanse on the other hand is amazing for chord related stuff and the variety of filters are great in their own way for plucks and things of that nature.

i love both Serum and eXpanse equally for their unique qualities and don't really need anything else to make my style of music.

Oquasec

09 Jul 2017

To each their own when it comes to production. Some get better results using a tableosc, just how it is :lol:
Producer/Programmer.

aeox
Competition Winner

09 Jul 2017

Oquasec wrote:
09 Jul 2017
To each their own when it comes to production. Some get better results using a tableosc, just how it is :lol:
i'll have to demo that and give it a go

scratchnsnifff

10 Jul 2017

Il go out on a limb and say earnest B (the CEO of propellerhead) was right when he said that people's productions need vst support, I found that to be true after playing with serum. However, at the same time a lot of the sounds Iv made in serum are similar to sounds that Iv made with malstrom expanse or even predator, Iv found that any synth that has a few key components can produce the big vst sounding growls

Wavetables
Waveshaper
Warp modes (wave modifiers)
Crazy filters
And FM
Serum has a leg up on everyone else on filters Steve Duda pretty much set out to have filter slopes that aren't seen in other synths, sure the phaser filters can be replicated as long as you have a phaser that has an LFO rate of 0 which the free T2 phaser can do, also expanse can have a fixed phaser rate as well.

Kind of going off topic but just to be clear is serum a must have? Yes!!!
Are reasons rack extensions as good with sound design YES, but you need to know what you have and how to use it!

In conclusion reason always has been able to make the sounds of vst world.
Just in a different approach and with a slightly different character. Even Seamless said that he will never ever be able to recreate a specific sound after an artist, you'd have to know what tools they had, what order they are placed and finally all the settings :p

Sorry for the ramble but hop this helps :)
Get serum, get expanse, MAKE BASS!!! <3
Mayor of plucktown :evil:

Ahornberg

10 Jul 2017

Last month I cancelled my Serum subscription ...

Hauser+Quaid

10 Jul 2017

Oquasec wrote:
09 Jul 2017
My answer, will be questions questions. [I am not anti serum, but just stating some info]
I'm not anti-Reason, obviously. I'm incredibly PRO-Reason, and I love it when people use what they have. That's not at all what I was getting at. What I was getting at was the assertion that anyone can make any sound in Serum using Thor, Maelstrom or Subtractor. That's just not true, even with a bunch of the really cool tricks you posted.

Anyway, to the OP I think it's a no-brainer. At the prices it's available at, Serum is one of the most capable synths on the market. There's a reason it broke through all the synth plugin clutter to become one of the most ubiquitous plugins in peoples studios.

Oquasec

10 Jul 2017

There's a ton of things serum can;'t do that other synths can, and vice versa.
Not anti serum, but I Prefer tableosc and expanse in a combinator if not talking about blofeld + nnxt or subtractor chaining ;)

I support vsts forever also. Urs heckman likes it, I like vsts.
Producer/Programmer.

xylyx

11 Jul 2017

Ahornberg wrote:
10 Jul 2017
Any particular reason?

Ahornberg

11 Jul 2017

xylyx wrote:
11 Jul 2017
Ahornberg wrote:
10 Jul 2017
Any particular reason?
I didn't use it. Other synths and fx are more fun to play with.

xylyx

11 Jul 2017

Ahornberg wrote:
11 Jul 2017
xylyx wrote:
11 Jul 2017

Any particular reason?
Okay, thanks. I need to give it a proper demo and see if I'm not just being tempted by the $10 a month option...

aeox
Competition Winner

11 Jul 2017

xylyx wrote:
11 Jul 2017
Ahornberg wrote:
11 Jul 2017

Okay, thanks. I need to give it a proper demo and see if I'm not just being tempted by the $10 a month option...
"Steve Duda's Serum is simply unparalleled for its high quality sound. Specifically the ultra-clean oscillators within the synth produce significantly less audio artifacts than other wavetable oscillators on the market (cough, massive, cough). Artifacts within the audio generated by oscillators results in sounds that aren't necessarily what you were hoping to create, resulting in your mix containing unwanted frequencies and tones. Serum manages to make this issue almost negligible due to the obsessive care and number crunching that wen't into the oscillators programming - noticeable from the first patch you create."

Ahornberg

12 Jul 2017

Serum's oscillators are always compared to Massive's oscillators.
What about Zebra? Did anyone a comparsion?

scratchnsnifff

12 Jul 2017

Ahornberg wrote:
12 Jul 2017
Serum's oscillators are always compared to Massive's oscillators.
What about Zebra? Did anyone a comparsion?
+1 or diva because that's another synth that is known for Its clean oscillators I know there is a side by side comparison with vps avenger, in my opinion avenger seems cool but it's like there's a bit much going on If I remember right there's 5+ oscillators lol might be 8 actually but from what I remember it seemed like an overkill idea that was stretched to the max, great for some people buy serum is more my cup of tea sorry if this is a bit off topic
Mayor of plucktown :evil:

Oquasec

12 Jul 2017

To each their own, in synth collecting land. Doesn't make much sense to oust any synths and I'm not feeling like a biblethumper today lol.

But so far I'm pretty pleased with what comes out of RE and Uhe's Zebra. Hive is another one I might have to look out for. :?
Producer/Programmer.

• Information