Neutron Advanced

Discuss VST stuff here!
AuralBee

30 May 2017

Hey guys,
Neutron Advanced opens surround version of the VST by default in 9.5, and is verrrrry taxing on CPU.
Anybody with the same experience ?

Puckboy2000

30 May 2017

I am about to buy it. I would like to know if I should or not based on how it performs in reason. I was hoping to run it on every channel when mixing down.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than than that" - George Carlin

davidvilla

30 May 2017

I found this during the beta and opened a case. They are aware of it but didn't fix it. That's all I know.

wendylou

30 May 2017

I have Neutron (regular version) and it shows a little warning triangle with exclamation in the center of the meters reminding me that I can only have 5 channel surround sound with he Advanced version. With your report, now I don't feel so left out, as it works fine.
:puf_smile: http://www.galxygirl.com -- :reason: user since 2002

AuralBee

31 May 2017

Ah, thanks for yr input!

Mmm, Besides the surround thing, I can only use 2 or 3 instances before Rsn grinds to a halt.
In both Bitwig and Ableton I do not have that problem, so I will send in a ticket just to make sure this is in scope ;-)

Kalm

31 May 2017

Thank you for confirming, I was wondering why that happened or if it was just me.
Courtesy of The Brew | Watch My Tutorials | Mac Mini Intel i7 Quad-Core | 16 GB RAM | Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB | Reason 11 Suite | Studio One 5 Professional | Presonus Quantum | Komplete Kontrol 49 MK2 | Event Opals | Follow me on Instagram

wendylou

31 May 2017

AuralBee wrote:Ah, thanks for yr input!

Mmm, Besides the surround thing, I can only use 2 or 3 instances before Rsn grinds to a halt.
In both Bitwig and Ableton I do not have that problem, so I will send in a ticket just to make sure this is in scope ;-)
When you submit your ticket, FYI I can run 3 instances of the standard version of Neutron without impacting DSP at all.

AuralBee

31 May 2017

@wendylou: thnx for the headsup, support ticket submitted, let's see. Interesting to see that the PropShop only offers the non-advanced VST version of Neutron. Oh well, let's hope for the best.

Carrere

01 Jun 2017

I just picked up the Music Production Bundle during the Memorial Day sale. Plugins are great, but agree they are taxing on CPU. I never used to worry about stuff like that with Reason, but now seems to be a constant issue...even with some of the more recent REs like Expanse. May have to upgrade, try different workflow, or [gasp] switch to a different DAW now that I have begun investing in VSTs.

But I have another issue with Neutron/Ozone...

Trying to use some of the plugin keyboard commands for the EQ modules, e.g. alt+click on a node should bandpass only that frequency. Unfortunately can't get it to work reliably. It appears to work for a split second but doesn't hold.

There is an item in Reason's Option menu, "VST Windows Get Keyboard Focus", which I thought might help if the problem is Reason not focusing on my key press for the VST window command. Unfortunately, however, that menu item is greyed out. I can't figure out why it's grey and/or how to select it.

Can any of you with Neutron or Ozone VSTs confirm whether or not the alt-click on a node functionality works for you? Also, is the "VST Windows Get Keyboard Focus" item under the Options menu available to you? Running macOS Sierra if that makes a difference.

Thanks in advance.

qn5

01 Jun 2017

I just loaded Ozone 7 advanced on a reason project that had 0 DSP bars.
And suddenly I got the "computer too slow to play song" warning.

I'm on a 5960x w/ SSDs and 32GB of RAM. Pbbbft. :(

I'm about to go back to my original workflow sans VSTs lol.
Insane how much CPU they eat.
QN5 MUSIC
qn5.com

AuralBee

03 Jun 2017

@Carrere:
Just checked the alt + click thing:
Works for me in both Ozone 7 Advanced and Neutron Advanced, with one difference:
in Ozone, you have to deselect the node first, then first click alt, then select node again and keep mouse button pressed. In Neutron, alt + click works either way (node selected as well as deselected first). In both VSTs selection does not hold, you have to keep yr mouse button pressed, I guess things were designed this way.

VST Windows Get Keyboard Focus: Win 10 here, and it's not greyed out for me. Selecting or deselecting it makes no difference in the way the node thing above works.

Hope this is of any use to you ;-)

CPU load Izotope still way too high, indeed like qn5 describes

Carrere

03 Jun 2017

@AuralBee
Thanks for the followup. Turned out to be an issue with my trackpad. All fine now...with the alt-clicking, I mean.

Still very disappointed in the iZotope VSTs performance in Reason...and it's clearly a Reason issue because they work great in Cubase on my system. Ironic that the most requested feature in Reason's history may be the reason that I stop using it. I love these new VSTs - the Neutron masking feature will be great for mixing, but only if I can run multiple instances without bogging the system down.

I still love Reason's workflow, so thinking I will still use it as a sketchpad for composing and sound design. But will probably revert back to using Cubase for mixing, mastering and recording vocals (Nectar 2 is really cool, but regretfully suffers from the same issues in Reason). Unfortunately, Reason may not be the all in one solution that it purports to be...or that I thought it was a week ago.

Thanks again for the troubleshooting help.

Audiotic

12 Jun 2017

Meh, Neutron is basically unusable for me :/ Which is sad, because it seems to be a really nice channel mix tool...

Granted, my rig is not the fatstest (i5-750 @ 3,2ghz, 8GB RAM, M-Audio FastTrack) but when adding Neutron to more than one Channel, I can't even play a song anymore.
I've had some minor performance issues before, forcing me to bounce some CPU heavy VSTs (or VK2). But I could live with it.
Neutron however feels like there's something really wrong with the performance...

Galaxy

23 Jun 2017

wendylou wrote:
30 May 2017
I have Neutron (regular version) and it shows a little warning triangle with exclamation in the center of the meters reminding me that I can only have 5 channel surround sound with he Advanced version. With your report, now I don't feel so left out, as it works fine.
Does this mean the standard 2 channel version isn't recognized by Reason? As an Advanced owner do you have access to the standard version separate from the 5.1 version? So far you've seemed to report the best performance for this plugin, what are your system specs, if you don't mind?

wendylou

24 Jun 2017

Galaxy wrote:
23 Jun 2017
wendylou wrote:
30 May 2017
Does this mean the standard 2 channel version isn't recognized by Reason? As an Advanced owner do you have access to the standard version separate from the 5.1 version? So far you've seemed to report the best performance for this plugin, what are your system specs, if you don't mind?
I don't have the Advanced version that supports surround sound, so I get the impression the triangle warning thinks it's in a surround sound environment when opened in Reason, thus the warning. Clearly it's stereo, so probably a bug between the plug-in and Reason's VST support. Nevertheless, it works fine in Reason in stereo.

My systems specs are iMac 27-inch (late 2013). Processor: 3.5 GHz Intel Core i7. Memory: 32 GB 1600 MHz DDR3. Startup Drive: 1 TB internal solid state drive. Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M 4096 MB. Second 27-inch Thunderbolt Display. Mac OS: Sierra 10.12.5

AuralBee

24 Jun 2017

I have Neutron Advanced, and currently Reason indeed opens the surround version by default. (Afaik there is no option to switch to the stereo version)
It works but is hardly useable as 2 or 3 instances suffice to get the 'computer too slow etc' error.
(I do not have any problems in Ableton or Bitwig)
I mailed P'head and got a short reply that the issue was in scope. Hope this will be fixed soon.

JerrelTheKing

25 Jun 2017

Good thing Ozone 7 can be used in standalone mode for mastering.

Karim
Competition Winner

26 Jun 2017

AuralBee wrote:Hey guys,
Neutron Advanced opens surround version of the VST by default in 9.5, and is verrrrry taxing on CPU.
Ozone is very heavy on CPU and I suspect that Neutron will be also a " stone" when used in several channels. I suggest to use it with all bounced channels to free some cpu headroom

Inviato dal mio SM-G925F utilizzando Tapatalk

Karim Le Mec : Dj/Producer/Label Owner ( :reason: 11.3+ R12  IMac 2016 21")
FOLLOW Karim Le Mec
https://www.youtube.com/user/lemecdj
https://karimlemec.weebly.com/
https://soundcloud.com/karimlemec
https://t.me/reasonstudiosworld

Galaxy

27 Jun 2017

Karim wrote:
26 Jun 2017
AuralBee wrote:Hey guys,
Ozone is very heavy on CPU and I suspect that Neutron will be also a " stone" when used in several channels. I suggest to use it with all bounced channels to free some cpu headroom

Inviato dal mio SM-G925F utilizzando Tapatalk
Man, this sucks. It's a real shame that a lot of you are reporting Neutron doesn't work well in Reason. You think this is a Reason issue or an iZotope issue?

teddymcw

15 Oct 2017

JerrelTheKing wrote:Good thing Ozone 7 can be used in standalone mode for mastering.

Is it new that one can open other iZotope apps while in Ozone 8 like insight and then neutron?

I'm on 7 so I'm not exactly sure what the diffs are.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

teddymcw

15 Oct 2017

Galaxy wrote:
Man, this sucks. It's a real shame that a lot of you are reporting Neutron doesn't work well in Reason. You think this is a Reason issue or an iZotope issue?
It's gotta be Reason. Simply bc what other daws doesn't neutron work with.
Reasons API for certain vst parameters has to be the least robust in certain ways. I'm a reason fanboy too, just sayin what it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

adrian-singleton

15 Oct 2017

Hey guys,
iZotope fixed this issue in Neutron 2 Advanced.
"Before you play two notes learn how to play one note - and don't play one note unless you've got a reason to play it." - Mark Hollis [1998]

Galaxy

15 Oct 2017

adrian-singleton wrote:
15 Oct 2017
Hey guys,
iZotope fixed this issue in Neutron 2 Advanced.
Did they ever fix the external side chain inputs not working?

• Information