FAQ: VST in Reason

Discuss VST stuff here!
abeonis

13 Jun 2018

jimmyklane wrote:
10 Jun 2018
abeonis wrote:
10 Jun 2018

Your arguments make sense. The show must go on. My only concern is I am not able to reproduce this set up with 64 bits VST. (See the 2 Signal Analyzer small windows).

Any idea to replace these 2 windows without occupying all the screen?
In order to get an FFT and a scope with any given synth, I use the free and excellent s(m)exoscope from smart electronix, and then have Reasons own signal analyzer that’s built-in to the EQ. Use “keep open” for the VST plugin and you’ve got a similar setup to the one in the pictures. It’s what I’m using for my video series (I’ve already done one on Subtractor) and seems to work very well.
No thanks, I already have my own tools. Anyway, I use these analyzers only to hep me for sound design in my VST instruments. So I use another DAW that has these "legacy issues" and once the patch is done, I use it in Reason for music production. Solved.
Windows 10 64-bit | Reason 9.5 | Live 10 Suite + Push2 | Intel i7 8700K | 16 GB RAM | Scarlett 6x6 | Arturia MiniLab MK II | 2x Novation LaunchControl XL

jimmyklane

13 Jun 2018

abeonis wrote:
13 Jun 2018
jimmyklane wrote:
10 Jun 2018

In order to get an FFT and a scope with any given synth, I use the free and excellent s(m)exoscope from smart electronix, and then have Reasons own signal analyzer that’s built-in to the EQ. Use “keep open” for the VST plugin and you’ve got a similar setup to the one in the pictures. It’s what I’m using for my video series (I’ve already done one on Subtractor) and seems to work very well.
No thanks, I already have my own tools. Anyway, I use these analyzers only to hep me for sound design in my VST instruments. So I use another DAW that has these "legacy issues" and once the patch is done, I use it in Reason for music production. Solved.
Ok buddy. Have a nice day
DAW: Reason 12

SAMPLERS: Akai MPC 2000, E-mu SP1200, E-Mu e5000Ultra, Ensoniq EPS 16+, Akai S950, Maschine

SYNTHS: Mostly classic Polysynths and more modern Monosynths. All are mostly food for my samplers!

www.soundcloud.com/jimmyklane

Mr_Cru2

13 Oct 2018

What are some dope free (not cracked) VSTs that are worth checking out?

Sent from my Z982 using Tapatalk

madmacman

18 Oct 2018

Mr_Cru2 wrote:
13 Oct 2018
What are some dope free (not cracked) VSTs that are worth checking out?
You could ask 3 people and get 4 replies. Everyone has their own preferences. Her are my personal favorites (not in a specific order):

1. Synth1 ( http://www.geocities.jp/daichi1969/softsynth/ )
Old, beta forever, sometimes a little buggy - but I still like it. Maybe because I'm grown up with it. There are tons of sounds available for free and it still is a good starting point for trancy / EDM stuff.

2. DEXED ( https://asb2m10.github.io/dexed/ )
Emulation of Yamaha DX7 hardware synthesizer. Reads original SysEx. Sounds realistic and (because of SysEx compatibility) another candidate with countless sounds available for free, If you are after E-Piano, Bass, and metallic sounds: this is your choice!

3. PG-8X ( https://sites.google.com/site/mlvst0/pg8x-2 )
Another emulation of a hardware veteran: Roland JX-8P. Also with SysEx compatibility. Not the most versatile analog poly synth. But a good contributor for that typical 80's pads and soft brass sounds.

4. Tyrell N6 ( https://www.amazona.de/freeware-synth-tyrell-n6-v3-03/ )
Analog poly synth provided by German online music magazine "Amazona" (yes, with "a" at the end ;) ) The creator of this little gem is no other than Urs Heckmann (u-he). The sound quality is great and it is very versatile.

As you can see: I prefer more "classic" sounds over experimental stuff. So YMMV.

Azoetia

21 Nov 2018

Can anyone help? I have looked everywhere but can't find the answer anywhere. Does Ez mix 2 work in Reason 10?
Thanks

jctarvin

12 Jun 2019

I see more and more great vst plug ins that I would like to use. Many are not supporting vst2. So, here I am, stuck in Reason, and I've not seen anything to indicate that vst3 support is on the fairly near horizon.

It's sort of like the Reason mobile device apps STILL only being available for Apple devices. I've been with Reason since version 2 and am thinking maybe I picked the wrong horse to ride! Yes, Apple fanboys, I'm a little bitter.

boingy

13 Jun 2019

jctarvin wrote:
12 Jun 2019
I see more and more great vst plug ins that I would like to use. Many are not supporting vst2. So, here I am, stuck in Reason, and I've not seen anything to indicate that vst3 support is on the fairly near horizon.

It's sort of like the Reason mobile device apps STILL only being available for Apple devices. I've been with Reason since version 2 and am thinking maybe I picked the wrong horse to ride! Yes, Apple fanboys, I'm a little bitter.
Are you saying that many vst plugins are now VST3 only?
That's news to me. They all seem to come with both VST2 and 3 or just with 2.

I'm pretty sure Props will be adding VST3 and VST MDI support sooner rather than later. I think they have to.

ScuzzyEye

13 Jun 2019

boingy wrote:
13 Jun 2019
jctarvin wrote:
12 Jun 2019
New developers are not allowed to release VST2 plug-ins, only VST3. The only ones allowed to release VST2 plug-ins are developers who have released one previously.

Many new VST2s that also have a VST3 counterpart are built using the VST2 wrapper for VST3 (that is, they're really VST3s inside). The plug-in/DAW industry is finally being forced to move on to the current format because Steinberg changed their licensing.

Reason will almost surely get VST3 support, else they get cut-off from new plug-ins, but who knows how soon it will happen.

jctarvin

30 Sep 2019

ScuzzyEye wrote:
13 Jun 2019
boingy wrote:
13 Jun 2019

New developers are not allowed to release VST2 plug-ins, only VST3. The only ones allowed to release VST2 plug-ins are developers who have released one previously.

Many new VST2s that also have a VST3 counterpart are built using the VST2 wrapper for VST3 (that is, they're really VST3s inside). The plug-in/DAW industry is finally being forced to move on to the current format because Steinberg changed their licensing.

Reason will almost surely get VST3 support, else they get cut-off from new plug-ins, but who knows how soon it will happen.

Well, the sooner that Reason suports VST3, the better. There are several VST plugins that I would like to have available in Reason, but they are available as VST3 only. Sorry to have to say, but it's another area where Reason is behind the mainstream in the DAW market.

boingy

30 Sep 2019

jctarvin wrote:
30 Sep 2019

Well, the sooner that Reason suports VST3, the better. There are several VST plugins that I would like to have available in Reason, but they are available as VST3 only. Sorry to have to say, but it's another area where Reason is behind the mainstream in the DAW market.
Every week will see new plugins without VST2 versions. so it's surely gotta be on their TODO list especially as they have just released Reason Rack as VST3 only.

akwright

06 Apr 2020

Thanks Kenni!

Aléx Battista

31 Jul 2020

blacmav wrote:
03 Jun 2017
Please HELP!!!!

I installed 9.5 a few days ago and discovered that all of my plugins didn't boot up. Reinstalled plugins again to access them from same folder, still didn't work. Then I did clicked the program files in the C drive and now Reason won't bypass certain plugins that I believe are windows related!!! I've performed a complete uninstall/reinstall with no success. I've since contacted Reason support, with no reply and I have deadlines to meet ASAP!

Any suggestions?!

lenovo 1TB 2.4ghz laptop, scarlette 2i2, 16g RAM
hello I have the same problem I tried everything did not work, support reason studio responds, I formatted my window, reinstalled my vst anyway the problem continues!
did you manage to solve? if yes could teach me how to solve ??
HP 500gb i5 laptop, tacan us 600, 8 RAM

SarkaGubb

02 Aug 2020

I have a problem with my VSTs causing Reason to crash when opening the VST. Usually I can open the VST once, everything works fine, it plays as it should without overloading the DSP but when I try to open it up a second time it turns all white and says Reason has stopped working.

It applies to all VSTs. Arturia V Collection, Neutron 3 and some stuff I dont use that was included with M-Audio Keyboard.

The computer is clean with nothing installed except Reason related stuff. Ive contacted the support but until I get response, have someone experienced this? I might try to reinstall Reason but seems like a waste of time if it wouldnt solve the issue

doglatin

21 Aug 2020

Hi - recently upgraded to a new Windows laptop, Reason 11 and bought an Akai MPKMini. Brand new to using VSTs in Reason. With a bit of a struggle, I got Reason to finally recognise the free VSTs but I can't access any of the presets or change any of the settings. If I open the plugin separately, it moans and says I'm accessing it in another program. Also, it came with a bunch of 'MPC Sound Packs' which I've installed, but I can't work out how to access them at all. Anyone able to help?

nicolas78

07 Nov 2020

Hi all,
I found out that Blue cats audio patchwork VST plug in can allow Reason to play VST3 plug-ins such as Roland d-50. I loaded the bc audio patchwork into reason, but when I put the vst3 instrument, Reason crashes. Does anyone know any better on this?

JonJ

06 May 2021

Hi all. I'm sure others have already pointed this out but it appears you can play VST3 plugins in Reason
VST3 (2).PNG
VST3 (2).PNG (932.15 KiB) Viewed 18878 times
Not done any significant testing but hasn't fallen over yet. If it really works it will prevent my move to an alternative platform. Regards.
Reason 11, i7 8700 W10 PC, 16GB Ram, 240GB SSD, 2TB Hard Drive , RME Digiface, 4xAD8200, 3xArturia Origin, Virus TI2, Drumbrute, 2xNyborg, Touch Digital Controller, C15 and Moog Siren

Despondo
Competition Winner

06 May 2021

JonJ wrote:
06 May 2021
Hi all. I'm sure others have already pointed this out but it appears you can play VST3 plugins in ReasonVST3 (2).PNG
Not done any significant testing but hasn't fallen over yet. If it really works it will prevent my move to an alternative platform. Regards.
Yes, Lots of options out there as you have pointed out. Personally, I use the following two:

https://www.pluginguru.com/products/unify-standard/

https://www.bluecataudio.com/Products/P ... PatchWork/

andre.k

17 Sep 2021

SarkaGubb wrote:
02 Aug 2020
I have a problem with my VSTs causing Reason to crash when opening the VST. Usually I can open the VST once, everything works fine, it plays as it should without overloading the DSP but when I try to open it up a second time it turns all white and says Reason has stopped working.

It applies to all VSTs. Arturia V Collection, Neutron 3 and some stuff I dont use that was included with M-Audio Keyboard.

The computer is clean with nothing installed except Reason related stuff. Ive contacted the support but until I get response, have someone experienced this? I might try to reinstall Reason but seems like a waste of time if it wouldnt solve the issue
Can you please try this workarround ?

In Reason Options menu, de-select "Show Navigators."

It worked for me with our Plugin the VPS Avenger.

Re8et
Competition Winner

12 Jan 2022

nicolas78 wrote:
07 Nov 2020
Hi all,
I found out that Blue cats audio patchwork VST plug in can allow Reason to play VST3 plug-ins such as Roland d-50. I loaded the bc audio patchwork into reason, but when I put the vst3 instrument, Reason crashes. Does anyone know any better on this?
Usb Roland drives... especially d50, are very unstable...
you are far better off with just midi.
You haven't said that in your patch description, but if it is the case, undo all usb.
Try again.

Jac459

27 May 2022

doglatin wrote:
21 Aug 2020
Hi - recently upgraded to a new Windows laptop, Reason 11 and bought an Akai MPKMini. Brand new to using VSTs in Reason. With a bit of a struggle, I got Reason to finally recognise the free VSTs but I can't access any of the presets or change any of the settings. If I open the plugin separately, it moans and says I'm accessing it in another program. Also, it came with a bunch of 'MPC Sound Packs' which I've installed, but I can't work out how to access them at all. Anyone able to help?
I am working on an mpkmini3 remote file for reason. With for important synths up to 80 control recognised.
Reason: Europa, Thor, Subtractor, Malstrom, Algoritm, Parsec(1&2), Scenic and Friktion
Rob Papen: Go2
Robotic Bean: Resonans
Synapse: The Legend, Antidote
Blamsoft: Expanse
Softtube: Saturation knob (only 2 knobs, lol)
Lectric Panda: Nostromo (80 elements controlled)
Following added devices have basic controls (8 or 16 knobs):
Reason: Quartet, Sweeper, BVX Vocoder, Layers, Layers Wave Edition, Radical Keys, Processed Piano, Electric Bass, Complex1, Reason Drum Kits, UMPF Club Drums, UMPF Retro Beats, Monotone, Reason Electric Bass, Mimic.
Audiorealism: abl3

You can download the files here if interrested :
https://github.com/jac459/reason-mpk-mini-mk3
Bitwig and RRP fanboy...

• Information