My Computer Can't Handle VSTs...Any Advice?

Discuss VST stuff here!
KevTav

29 May 2017

So after installing 9.5 I've been running laggy and trying to figure out what's wrong.

Did a full optimization for sound. Cleaned files. Uninstalled Progs. Still lagging.

My specs are:

Acer Aspire
Intel Core i5
3230M CPU
2.60 GHZ
16 Gig RAM Full

I thought this would be enough, but I'm not getting any results. Spent the last 2 hours optimizing every way possible. If I stack 2 VSTs anywhere in Reason I can't make it through 5 seconds of lag. I even cranked my Buffer to 2,048 and 4,096...can't get anymore out of it and my latency is at 46 MS.

So this isn't gonna work.
Yamaha DGX-650 (Controller) - Komplete Audio Interface - Asus GR8 2 - Intel Core i7-7700 3.60 GHz - 16GB RAM - Audio Technica ATH M50x - Yamaha HS 80Ms - Reason 10 - Izotope - Cubase - Pro Tools - Ableton - Epiphones - Taylors - SH*TLOAD of Plug-Ins

avasopht
Competition Winner

29 May 2017

I would check to make sure antivirus isn't playing up. Set it up to ignore Reason and your vst plugins.

Gorgon

29 May 2017

I'm using an i7 4700HQ and everything I throw at it (Reaktor, Stutter Edit)barely affects the CPU usage.
"This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit."

KevTav

29 May 2017

Gorgon wrote:I'm using an i7 4700HQ and everything I throw at it (Reaktor, Stutter Edit)barely affects the CPU usage.
I took a 12 track song that usually runs clean. Threw 2 instances of my Ozone Mastering Suite onto the Master Bus to test it out, and I can barely play the song. Ozone also hogs up CPU power but things shoulnd't be this bad.
Yamaha DGX-650 (Controller) - Komplete Audio Interface - Asus GR8 2 - Intel Core i7-7700 3.60 GHz - 16GB RAM - Audio Technica ATH M50x - Yamaha HS 80Ms - Reason 10 - Izotope - Cubase - Pro Tools - Ableton - Epiphones - Taylors - SH*TLOAD of Plug-Ins

ezelkow1

29 May 2017

There is a huge difference between a 3230m and a 4700hq. The hq mobile processors are fairly close to desktop equivalents, but still gimped a little. The m-series processors are a lot weaker, depending on type of calculation like 1/4 weaker. They also have half the cache and dont support AVX2.0 at all, which alot of vsts use AVX instructions (not sure about 2.0 specifically though)

The m-series is alot closer to the u(ultrabook)-series of processors than the HQ's and have comparable benchmarks. Any heavy duty vst Ive tried on a u-series will either max it out immediately or will once I add even the slightest bit more to a track

KevTav

29 May 2017

ezelkow1 wrote:There is a huge difference between a 3230m and a 4700hq. The hq mobile processors are fairly close to desktop equivalents, but still gimped a little. The m-series processors are a lot weaker, depending on type of calculation like 1/4 weaker. They also have half the cache and dont support AVX2.0 at all, which alot of vsts use AVX instructions (not sure about 2.0 specifically though)

The m-series is alot closer to the u(ultrabook)-series of processors than the HQ's and have comparable benchmarks. Any heavy duty vst Ive tried on a u-series will either max it out immediately or will once I add even the slightest bit more to a track

What would you suggest? New computer or upgrade to a better processor?

Reason runs fine on my comp. But as soon as I throw on a VST like my Izotope Ozone, Reason chokes up. Open the visual display, and it's useless.

I'm bummed because I really wanted Ozone to run smooth in Reason. It's not happening.

Gorgon

29 May 2017

KevTav wrote: What would you suggest? New computer or upgrade to a better processor?

Reason runs fine on my comp. But as soon as I throw on a VST like my Izotope Ozone, Reason chokes up. Open the visual display, and it's useless.

I'm bummed because I really wanted Ozone to run smooth in Reason. It's not happening.
Upgrading a CPU on a laptop is (if possible at all) very tricky. Probably not possible at all in an Acer Aspire. So you'll need a new computer/laptop.
"This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit."

KevTav

29 May 2017

Gorgon wrote:
KevTav wrote: What would you suggest? New computer or upgrade to a better processor?

Upgrading a CPU on a laptop is (if possible at all) very tricky. Probably not possible at all in an Acer Aspire. So you'll need a new computer/laptop.
Yeah I got the Aspire 5600U. Looks like I need a new comp.

ezelkow1

29 May 2017

I think most in your situation when using a more mobile setup hit issues, you may save your ozone step for last, or use it in isolation. Freeze the necessary tracks and then use ozone on it as necessary. Or save it for your last step and freeze all your tracks before hand. That way the only processor intensive thing you have running is ozone.

chimp_spanner

29 May 2017

I'd say new computer. I'd also strongly consider whether you need a laptop *or* do some research into which models are proven to play nice with audio. It's a bit of a minefield. For example on my laptop (J130ea i74700MQ) the performance is pretty good but I've always had issues with screen redraw and CPU usage, and it's basically unresolvable. Because the integrated graphics can't be fully disabled, and windows won't use the GeForce 740m for certain general applications. So I'm boned basically. Whereas on a desktop I could probably fix it.

So yeah, definitely do some research and get lots of feedback and opinions before you upgrade!

Oquasec

29 May 2017

Dude, get a new laptop or build a desktop.
the minimum is an i3 or phenom X4.
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

Gorgon

29 May 2017

Oquasec wrote:Dude, get a new laptop or build a desktop.
the minimum is an i3 or phenom X4.
Never go for an i3 with heavy DSP use. That's silly. And stay away from AMD.

OldSchoolSkunk

29 May 2017

You don't have to stay away from AMD.. i'm running it fine on a Windows 10 1100T 6 core and thats 6 years old with 16GB ram so if you gonna build a new rig go with what you can afford at max for the stuff you're gonna be doing with that computer. Reason's min specs can be exceeded easily.

KevTav

29 May 2017

chimp_spanner wrote:I'd say new computer. I'd also strongly consider whether you need a laptop *or* do some research into which models are proven to play nice with audio. It's a bit of a minefield. For example on my laptop (J130ea i74700MQ) the performance is pretty good but I've always had issues with screen redraw and CPU usage, and it's basically unresolvable. Because the integrated graphics can't be fully disabled, and windows won't use the GeForce 740m for certain general applications. So I'm boned basically. Whereas on a desktop I could probably fix it.

So yeah, definitely do some research and get lots of feedback and opinions before you upgrade!
I'm looking at an iMAC. Maybe 27 inch. I figure something with over 3.1Ghz and 12GB RAM is useful. Some gaming Computers are good for the job too, but I hate tower and monitor combos
Last edited by KevTav on 29 May 2017, edited 1 time in total.

KevTav

29 May 2017

ezelkow1 wrote:I think most in your situation when using a more mobile setup hit issues, you may save your ozone step for last, or use it in isolation. Freeze the necessary tracks and then use ozone on it as necessary. Or save it for your last step and freeze all your tracks before hand. That way the only processor intensive thing you have running is ozone.
I was thinking of that, but I like to use everything on the go. Master steps within songs to see where a sound WOULD be in the end. Or a certain phrasing. Thought of the fact I could bounce all tracks to Audio Files to save CPU Power. But I like having all options in real time and not being forced to do 'steps'

If I did a song with the step1, step 2 mindset, it trips me up.

I like throwing things on the Master Bus as I go, and do comps and bypasses. I can't even do that now with this shitty computer and my Mastering VSTs.

KevTav

29 May 2017

Which brings me to the issue of Windows Reason Files transferring over to Mac. Should be the same since the architecture is WITHIN Reason.

Correct?

miscend

29 May 2017

KevTav wrote:
ezelkow1 wrote:There is a huge difference between a 3230m and a 4700hq. The hq mobile processors are fairly close to desktop equivalents, but still gimped a little. The m-series processors are a lot weaker, depending on type of calculation like 1/4 weaker. They also have half the cache and dont support AVX2.0 at all, which alot of vsts use AVX instructions (not sure about 2.0 specifically though)

Download the free demo of Reaper and see if Ozone is running using as much CPU there. If Ozone runs better then your CPU is capable of running it.

Props have said they will be improving CPU usage with VSTs with updates.

Oquasec

29 May 2017

Haven't been researching mobile processors in the last 3 years so I currently have no idea myself.
all I know is that mobile i3-i7 exist right now hahaha.
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

KevTav

29 May 2017

miscend wrote:
KevTav wrote:

Download the free demo of Reaper and see if Ozone is running using as much CPU there. If Ozone runs better then your CPU is capable of running it.

Props have said they will be improving CPU usage with VSTs with updates.
good idea

Lov2sing

30 May 2017

I have a IMac with 16Gigs of ram and it stalls after two VST depending on which ones I use. I have IK Media and Waves and the many others. I find many VST haven't a separate CPU usage therefore it is hard too know which are worse than another's . My personal thought getting a new computer is only going to help if you can adjust CPU usage and know it is really adjusted.
We make music for a reason

The_G

30 May 2017

KevTav wrote:
chimp_spanner wrote:I'd say new computer. I'd also strongly consider whether you need a laptop *or* do some research into which models are proven to play nice with audio. It's a bit of a minefield. For example on my laptop (J130ea i74700MQ) the performance is pretty good but I've always had issues with screen redraw and CPU usage, and it's basically unresolvable. Because the integrated graphics can't be fully disabled, and windows won't use the GeForce 740m for certain general applications. So I'm boned basically. Whereas on a desktop I could probably fix it.

I'm looking at an iMAC. Maybe 27 inch. I figure something with over 3.1Ghz and 12GB RAM is useful. Some gaming Computers are good for the job too, but I hate tower and monitor combos
As someone who uses both, there's a tradeoff when you talk Mac vs. PC. Macs are considerably more expensive and less modular, but a Mac will run software like Reason for a significantly longer amount of time than a similarly spec'd PC. And Core Audio blows ASIO out of the water. Because of this, I much prefer using a Mac for music production.

But again, you will be shelling out a lot more money and also have more limited access to games (if that's important to you), as well as a smaller range of free VSTs (though there are plenty available for Mac).
Cosmopolis, out now: : https://timeslaves.bandcamp.com/album/cosmopolis! Check out the first single, "City Lights:

KevTav

30 May 2017

As someone who uses both, there's a tradeoff when you talk Mac vs. PC. Macs are considerably more expensive and less modular, but a Mac will run software like Reason for a significantly longer amount of time than a similarly spec'd PC. And Core Audio blows ASIO out of the water. Because of this, I much prefer using a Mac for music production.

But again, you will be shelling out a lot more money and also have more limited access to games (if that's important to you), as well as a smaller range of free VSTs (though there are plenty available for Mac).
I've used nothing but Macs for laptops, I love them. Never for music. You're right about the VSTs. I don't play video games so I don't care about that.

But I do like the mod abilities on Gaming Desktops. Some of the High performance gaming boxes have all the right specs for music production

Gorgon

30 May 2017

KevTav wrote: I've used nothing but Macs for laptops, I love them. Never for music. You're right about the VSTs. I don't play video games so I don't care about that.

But I do like the mod abilities on Gaming Desktops. Some of the High performance gaming boxes have all the right specs for music production
Before you buy a MAC, you might want to read this thread

KevTav

30 May 2017

Gorgon wrote:
KevTav wrote: I've used nothing but Macs for laptops, I love them. Never for music. You're right about the VSTs. I don't play video games so I don't care about that.

Before you buy a MAC, you might want to read this thread
Thanks Man. I actually decided last not that I'm going to steer clear of Macs and get a high performance gaming computer and MOD it out as I go. I'm also getting a larger monitor (around 28 inches). I need to go for power and speed, and I have also been seeing that iMacs are having issues with stability in Reason with VSTs

Gorgon

30 May 2017

KevTav wrote: Thanks Man. I actually decided last not that I'm going to steer clear of Macs and get a high performance gaming computer and MOD it out as I go.
Excellent idea. :)

• Information