Sending MIDI to plugins rather than CV

Discuss VST stuff here!
darrellp

26 May 2017

I think the new VSTs are the perfect time to address something that's bugged me for a while but I learned to live with it. SO many VST drum machines work with MIDI inputs. I'd like to run them with, for instance, Propulsion, but propulsion only puts out gates, the standard Reason way of doing things. That works fine with Kong and other Reason REs because they have a separate gate per instrument. It doesn't work so great with VST drum kits which expect to get different instrument sounds on different incoming MIDI keys. So is there any solution here? I want to run my Evolving Mutation drum kits from Propulsion but it appears that, for the moment, I'm out of luck. I can barely manage to jury rig something up that will make a sound from propulsion driving Kontakt, but getting the CV's correct is really hard (because Propulsion, running in Reason, hasn't got any outputs that put out note CV voltages) and the whole thing is a mess of splitting up CV wires everywhere with Mesher. It also totally disallows playing two instruments on the same beat. I hope this causes Propellerhead to address this problem which has been ongoing but never so severe as it is with these VSTs.

• Information