I hate how much I'm loving it

Discuss VST stuff here!
avasopht
Competition Winner

15 May 2017

I'm still trying to digest.

It's been 3 years since I've returned back to Reason and in that time I've really learned to achieve what I need to without the need for anything else.

There are a few sounds my library may lack (though it's pretty extensive), but I can do fine with what I've got.

And yet just the fact VSTs are available means there are now zero limitations. It's the ultimate win/win!

joeyluck

15 May 2017

So is everybody here saying that as long as you don't touch anything, anything will continue to work?
I can agree with that. But what's the point of stating that? Every piece of software is still working on what it was written. I can still play the same old games on my grand parent's old Apple IIe computer. Still works!

Was this statement supposed to be in contrary to anything? We've acknowledged now that DAWs can lose support, VSTs lose support if they aren't updated to work in future OS updates, and sometimes it's all of the above.
One of those VSTs was Arturia's Minimoog V Original. Still shows in my Arturia account, but because they pulled support for it and haven't updated it, it no longer works, and I can no longer even download it. I'm not too upset about it, but just a reminder of what I risk buying a VST that might not be updated. They aren't future-proof. You either keep an old computer and OS around or you rely on the developer to update them. But to say they never have to be updated? Come on...

stratatonic

15 May 2017

joeyluck wrote:So is everybody here saying that as long as you don't touch anything, anything will continue to work?
I can agree with that. But what's the point of stating that? Every piece of software is still working on what it was written. I can still play the same old games on my grand parent's old Apple IIe computer. Still works!

Was this statement supposed to be in contrary to anything? We've acknowledged now that DAWs can lose support, VSTs lose support if they aren't updated to work in future OS updates, and sometimes it's all of the above.
One of those VSTs was Arturia's Minimoog V Original. Still shows in my Arturia account, but because they pulled support for it and haven't updated it, it no longer works, and I can no longer even download it. I'm not too upset about it, but just a reminder of what I risk buying a VST that might not be updated. They aren't future-proof. You either keep an old computer and OS around or you rely on the developer to update them. But to say they never have to be updated? Come on...
You tore a strip out of SA on a public forum, claiming at what he said was false - and what he said was not.

Re: a game on your grandparent's Apple Mac - try playing that game on OSX Sierra. No go?
A game coded around Win 95 could very likely still work

Re: Some folks choose not to update their OS for audio for a while, because everything just - works. If you want the latest version of FaceTime from the latest OSX version, well, you take your chances with Apple. What are your priorities?

Re: Arturia MiniMoog V Original. I believe that while your code is in your Arturia account, the download is not there anymore. There was some legal dispute with Moog about using the "Moog" name, so they chose not to support it. I think giving it away for free a few years ago was an incentive for owners to have an upgrade path to the current V collection.

So, no, Arturia has not updated the plug for business reasons.
But it is working for me in Logic. And stand-alone. I installed it last year after having it on an older computer and having a few projects that needed the plug. I don't recall if I copy/pasted the plug into the plugin folder or had the original installer from that old computer. But it works. Arturia at least still have my auth code on record.

joeyluck

15 May 2017

stratatonic wrote:
joeyluck wrote:So is everybody here saying that as long as you don't touch anything, anything will continue to work?

You tore a strip out of SA on a public forum, claiming at what he said was false - and what he said was not.

Re: a game on your grandparent's Apple Mac - try playing that game on OSX Sierra. No go?

Re: Some folks choose not to update their OS for audio for a while, because everything just - works. If you want the latest version of FaceTime from the latest OSX version, well, you take your chances with Apple. What are your priorities?

Re: Arturia MiniMoog V Original. I believe that while your code is in your Arturia account, the download is not there anymore. There was some legal dispute with Moog about using the "Moog" name, so they chose not to support it. I think giving it away for free a few years ago was an incentive for owners to have an upgrade path to the current V collection.

But it is working for me in Logic. And stand-alone. I installed it last year after having it on an older computer and having a few projects that needed the plug. I don't recall if I copy/pasted the plug into the plugin folder or had the original installer from that old computer. But it works. Arturia at least still have my auth code on record.

When VSTs aren't updated, they aren't guaranteed to work in the future. When they are discontinued, they are not supported and not updated. Even big names like NI and iZotope discontinue products frequently. Here's hoping your DAW of choice continues to run on Windows 95? You missed the point: It's easy to say that software works on the hardware and OS it was built for. That goes for most everything.

I 'upgraded' my OS because I purchased a new computer. I work in theatre and work with QLab. That is my priority.
I use Reason and all of my plugins work and sync easily on any computer. That is a priority. So yes, when my VSTs don't work, that is not a concern because that is not a priority. Everything I need to get the job done and get paid is working. So priorities are in check, thank you.

So in summary, what he said was false. Moving on.

SA Studio

15 May 2017

Wow. Just read part of the replies. Pretty sure I got called a hypocrite???

Yeah, let's back the truck up here. Yes, Strat, I've used Reaper for years and yup, that 32bit bridge might have a lot to do with my lack of problems.

Defensiveness is turning into hostility here and that's not where we want to go.

Joey, I'm curious of the scenario simply because A) I'd like to help, and B) i'd like to know how a product someone paid money for stopped working, and C) just trying to help.

SA Studio

15 May 2017

Wow.

I'm feeling bullied here.
Last edited by SA Studio on 15 May 2017, edited 1 time in total.

SA Studio

15 May 2017

stratatonic wrote:

Thank you.

Not sure what's causing the breach in civility or outright disrespect.

SA Studio

15 May 2017

"And this comes from the same guy who wants to question the future compatibility of REs inside Reason?"

I don't question RE's future at all:

I've clearly said that VST inclusion will only focus the RE endeavor and Props will be better able to see what Reason-specific devices and will be able to make even better RE's in the future that are filling in what other products aren't doing and it will be done with Reason's sesnibilities in mind.

Please don't say I question the future of RE's. I have a very clear idea, and positive outlook on their future. :reason:

Not a great feeling being treated like an enemy. Condemnation and bullying is....lame. Let's show everyone respect here.

joeyluck

15 May 2017

SA Studio wrote:"And this comes from the same guy who wants to question the future compatibility of REs inside Reason?"

I've clearly said that VST inclusion will only focus the RE endeavor and Props will be better able to see what Reason-specific devices and will be able to make even better RE's in the future that are filling in what other products aren't doing and it will be done with Reason's sesnibilities in mind.

Please don't say I question the future of RE's. I have a very clear idea, and positive outlook on their future. :reason:

Not a great feeling being treated like an enemy. Condemnation and bullying is....lame. Let's show everyone respect here.
*Compatibility. You have questioned whether REs would continue to work inside Reason. You have questioned their future-proofing.
And here you are claiming that all VSTs will continue to work without being updated based upon the ones that you have apparently not updated in 10 years. At the same time you make a notation, "Well, some developers do offer free updates when there are new versions of an OS." Why is that? Why do you think? What happens when some of them don't update their plugins? Please connect the dots.

SA Studio

15 May 2017

joeyluck wrote:
SA Studio wrote:"And this comes from the same guy who wants to question the future compatibility of REs inside Reason?"

*Compatibility. You have questioned whether REs would continue to work inside Reason. You have questioned their future-proofing.
And here you are claiming that all VSTs will continue to work without being updated based upon the ones that you have apparently not updated in 10 years. At the same time you make a notation, "Well, some developers do offer free updates when there are new versions of an OS." Why is that? Why do you think? What happens when some of them don't update their plugins? Please connect the dots.

Joey, I never once questioned if RE's would work in the future. They're Propellerheads own product! How and where did I ever question if RE's would still work in Reason? I never said that. I've never once questioned their future proofing at all.

Oh = When I said they will need to maintain servers so people can download their product??

You think that's me dissing Rack Extensions? That was an honest observation, and you're trying to make me an enemy of RE's and Reason.

I think you're being defensive with someone you don't need to be defensive with.

Yes = Props will need to maintain servers so people will always be able to download their product. That was my statement. I'm sticking to it. It's not hateful or anything remotely like that. It's an observation.

We should aim to understand each other - especially long time Reason users = Not vilify each other.

joeyluck

15 May 2017

SA Studio wrote:
joeyluck wrote:

Joey, I never once questioned if RE's would work in the future. They're Propellerheads own product! How and where did I ever question if RE's would still work in Reason? I never said that. I've never once questioned their future proofing at all.

Oh = When I said they will need to maintain servers so people can download their product??

You think that's me dissing Rack Extensions? That was an honest observation, and you're trying to make me an enemy of RE's and Reason.

I think you're being defensive with someone you don't need to be defensive with.

Yes = Props will need to maintain servers so people will always be able to download their product. That was my statement. I'm sticking to it. It's not hateful or anything remotely like that. It's an observation.

We should aim to understand each other - especially long time Reason users = Not vilify each other.
I agree. And many VSTs need maintenance. Some might work without updates, other won't. Some just get discontinued.
But saying that none need to be updated? I was only replying to that to get that straight.

• Information