Let the VSTs take your Reason experience to a new level

Discuss VST stuff here!
deepndark

07 May 2017

Hopefully VSTs are taking our Reason experience to a new level. We don't have to feel dirty about it. It might be that we are a bit brainwashed to never have VST support in Reason. It feels a bit like VSTs are made by aliens. Anyway, we should just see this as a big blessing and opportunity. Right now it may feel like Reason is a parent for an adopted strange child called VST.

OldSchoolSkunk

07 May 2017

We're not ready for VST's we need time adjust to them just like RE's. Especially the prices of them :lol:

bunja

08 May 2017

Dont be a stupid get free or under 30 quid vst only buy whAt u feel u could need

OldSchoolSkunk

08 May 2017

bunja wrote:Dont be a stupid get free or under 30 quid vst only buy whAt u feel u could need
Gee thanks for the suggestion.. but have a sense of humor.... this ain't the PUF forums. and not everyone uses quids... to buy their VSTs or RE's.. and I think to know to trial stuff before i buy but realistically. The prices may vary and stuff goes on sale. Free ones sure if they do what you need them for. But i'm wondering what the some of the users not used to using them will think about the price of some of them.

platzangst

08 May 2017

If anything, Reason is going to take my VST experience to a new level, not the other way around. There's a few VSTs I've bought that looked cool in the shop, and were fun to tinker with in some other DAW, but when it came time to actually put them to use in a serious project, I kind of lost enthusiasm for them because getting the sounds back and forth between DAWs was kind of a hassle. Now, I'm actually looking at dusting off the licenses for a few things I own but haven't installed since my last computer change, just because it's just that more likely I might use them if I can just call them up directly in Reason.

miscend

08 May 2017

I feel much better using native devices ;)

SA Studio

08 May 2017

platzangst wrote:If anything, Reason is going to take my VST experience to a new level, not the other way around. There's a few VSTs I've bought that looked cool in the shop, and were fun to tinker with in some other DAW, but when it came time to actually put them to use in a serious project, I kind of lost enthusiasm for them because getting the sounds back and forth between DAWs was kind of a hassle. Now, I'm actually looking at dusting off the licenses for a few things I own but haven't installed since my last computer change, just because it's just that more likely I might use them if I can just call them up directly in Reason.
Above anything, VST inclusion is going to make better musicians out of...everyone here. All of us.

Has nothing to do if "Reason make my VST experience better" or vice versa. Brand loyalists think like that. Not musicians.

Let me fix this:
VST inclusion will take my music making experience to a new level.

That's more accurate, in my opinion, and should be more the focus = let's try and leave the brand names out of it :thumbs_up: :puf_smile:

Andy
Competition Winner

08 May 2017

deepndark wrote:Hopefully VSTs are taking our Reason experience to a new level. We don't have to feel dirty about it. It might be that we are a bit brainwashed to never have VST support in Reason. It feels a bit like VSTs are made by aliens. Anyway, we should just see this as a big blessing and opportunity. Right now it may feel like Reason is a parent for an adopted strange child called VST.
You should not feel dirty its only software. You will be bored of VST in less than a month though.

RequiemMachine

08 May 2017

SA Studio wrote:
platzangst wrote:If anything, Reason is going to take my VST experience to a new level, not the other way around. There's a few VSTs I've bought that looked cool in the shop, and were fun to tinker with in some other DAW, but when it came time to actually put them to use in a serious project, I kind of lost enthusiasm for them because getting the sounds back and forth between DAWs was kind of a hassle. Now, I'm actually looking at dusting off the licenses for a few things I own but haven't installed since my last computer change, just because it's just that more likely I might use them if I can just call them up directly in Reason.
Above anything, VST inclusion is going to make better musicians out of...everyone here. All of us.

Has nothing to do if "Reason make my VST experience better" or vice versa. Brand loyalists think like that. Not musicians.

Let me fix this:

That's more accurate, in my opinion, and should be more the focus = let's try and leave the brand names out of it :thumbs_up: :puf_smile:
VSTs will not make anyone a better musician. The only thing that will do that is experience, practice and knowledge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Reason+ / Ableton Live / VCV Rack 2 pro
Producer/Artist of Sasquatch Cloaking Technology
Musican ~ Illustrator ~ Professional Napper

Oquasec

08 May 2017

RequiemMachine wrote:
SA Studio wrote:

Let me fix this:

VSTs will not make anyone a better musician. The only thing that will do that is experience, practice and knowledge.

This. It's not like reason lacked compatibility with every single plugin format known to man already since rewire/ emi/ midiox/ loopmidi/ virtual audio cables.loopback/spdif methods exist and of course using the built in rack devices and learning those inside and out down to the modmatrix and routing configurations...
How people choose to produce is all on them and they should produce how they want to once they're done learning
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

chk071

08 May 2017

RequiemMachine wrote:
SA Studio wrote:

Let me fix this:

Maybe. But it will give users who had no access to them so far lots of very high quality devices to try out, and use, in case they like them. And even for free, you get some very nice stuff. Synths you should check out for free: u-he Tyrell N6, TAL-Noisemaker, Blaukraut Charlatan, Synth1, Dune BE/CM (magware, but quite good). Of course, you get what you pay for, and most of the commercial plugins will be even better, be it sound, or feature wise, but, there's already some great stuff for free. It won't make you a better musician, but you will surely have a lot of fun on the way.
:reason: :rebirth:

SA Studio

08 May 2017

RequiemMachine wrote:
SA Studio wrote:

Let me fix this:

The context in which I said that was that by virtue of more options, we'll all have a better music making experience, and thus be affected positively by so many new options making us all more well-rounded producers.

That was that I was trying to convey, at least :puf_smile: :reason:

RequiemMachine

09 May 2017

SA Studio wrote:
RequiemMachine wrote:
SA Studio wrote:

Let me fix this:

The context in which I said that was that by virtue of more options, we'll all have a better music making experience, and thus be affected positively by so many new options making us all more well-rounded producers.

Being a well-rounded producer has nothing to do with how many different plugins they have access to. To become a well.rounded produce you should stop focusing.in what can get and learn what you have. I good well rounded producer can make great music with just stock devices. Take aomeone like Frequent, who is one of the best neuro producers around...he uses all stock Abpetin Live devices.
Reason+ / Ableton Live / VCV Rack 2 pro
Producer/Artist of Sasquatch Cloaking Technology
Musican ~ Illustrator ~ Professional Napper

platzangst

09 May 2017

SA Studio wrote:

Let me fix this:

What.

Okay, look: I meant what I said, the way that I said it, and I don't think it needs to be "fixed". It's a simple fact that because I prefer to use Reason, the addition of VST support is going to mean I'm going to be using VSTs more frequently than I have.

And furthermore, why leave brand names out of it? This entire forum is a monument to our supposedly shared enthusiasm for this one particular brand-name DAW, and this specific thread is meant to discuss a feature it previously has not had. "VST inclusion will take my music making experience to a new level" would make no sense if said in relation to Ableton or Reaper or anything else that already has had VST support for years if not decades.

"Brand loyalist" and "musician" are not mutually exclusive. One can be both.

SA Studio

09 May 2017

RequiemMachine wrote:
SA Studio wrote:
RequiemMachine wrote:
SA Studio wrote:

Let me fix this:

Being a well-rounded producer has nothing to do with how many different plugins they have access to. To become a well.rounded produce you should stop focusing.in what can get and learn what you have. I good well rounded producer can make great music with just stock devices. Take aomeone like Frequent, who is one of the best neuro producers around...he uses all stock Abpetin Live devices.
We can certainly disagree.

Truth is, you hand someone Glitch or Buffer and hand someone else Stutter Edit, the guy with Stutter Edit's going to have WAY cooler cuts and chops.

So yes = Sometimes, more options willl definitely lead someone to both making better music and also walking away with a better understanding simply because the tools themselves are better. Again, you don't have to agree.

I do think VST inclusion will make the entire Reason user base more knowledgeable about what's available in the industry and by being aware of those options, they will have a more well-rounded scope of modern music production.

aeox
Competition Winner

09 May 2017

SA Studio wrote:
RequiemMachine wrote:
SA Studio wrote:
RequiemMachine wrote:
SA Studio wrote:

Let me fix this:

We can certainly disagree.

Truth is, you hand someone Glitch or Buffer and hand someone else Stutter Edit, the guy with Stutter Edit's going to have WAY cooler cuts and chops.

So yes = Sometimes, more options willl definitely lead someone to both making better music and also walking away with a better understanding simply because the tools themselves are better. Again, you don't have to agree.

I do think VST inclusion will make the entire Reason user base more knowledgeable about what's available in the industry and by being aware of those options, they will have a more well-rounded scope of modern music production.
(off topic) to be fair, all those stutter effects are so cliche and they all sound pretty bad nowadays

SA Studio

09 May 2017

Yeah. Forget I said anything, haha. I'm just trying to have a positive outlook for everyone involved. Not really trying to get heckled :puf_smile: :thumbs_up: :reason:

rickharwell

12 May 2017

I've been a Reason user/fan since 1.0, and I've also acquired several VST/AU instruments along the way that have never been able to "play nicely" in the Reason universe. Some of that was due to an aging MacBook Pro. At no point did Reason ever crash or hiccup during studio prep or live play: it is a rock-solid platform. With the inclusion of VST in their architecture, it will be interesting to see if that stability holds. I've been playing with the beta 9.5 for about a week now, and while there are some mild issues that could be ironed out, I'm very excited to see my VSTs inside a Combinator with the Reason instruments that I've known now for many years. So far - and Propellerheads was upfront about this - the beta version is a bit slow, and I have some latency/"crackling" in some instances. (My MBP is a 16 GB/2.5 GHz i7) But my VST programs are hefty as well. I'm running instances of Modart Pianoteq 5, Omnisphere 2.5, Keyscape, Arturia synths, and EastWest Play devices. I have been loading Combinators to see what their breaking point is, as well as "doing what I do" in a normal session with Reason, but including the occasional instance of a third-party VST. My experience thus far has been extraordinary.

kuhliloach

12 May 2017

I'm very VST-thankful but the key to the "new level" is within Reason itself, not copying the plug-in compliment of today's budding producers or using 'industry standard' plug-ins.

Nor will it be saving a giant pile of 8-bar experiments then hoping external forces beyond your control at Allihoopa do something useful with it. We should be inspired to master-mind more complete works, and self-publishing them (Bandcamp?) while building fans.

The key to leveling is learning the signal path and interface of Reason itself inside and out, even that pesky browser that hides stuff with an orange bar. And learning the SSL. These have been the skills that have made Reason way more powerful for me, and competitive even with MClass stock devices.

Focusing on VST's, how they work, buying them, installing them, and licensing them, could possibly be a distraction from time spent going over the real nuts and bolts. I hear big names talk about DAW's like Pro Tools in the same way -- that really nailing all the stock features is what its all about.

That said I will probably enjoy some kind of VST sooner than later. ;)

• Information