Would you buy a Reason-only compatible VST?

Discuss VST stuff here!

Would you still buy a RE VST only if available over full version?

Yes, If its price was worth.
24%
Yes anyway, I just use reason for producing.
38%
No way, I want to use my VST on every DAW I own.
17%
No, but just because its a stupid idea and that will never happen. Vst are not RE.
21%
You could still play Reason inside another DAW, so this pool is totally pointless... except the internal auth part...
No votes

Total votes: 29
Re8et
Competition Winner

07 May 2017

Would you buy a Reason-only compatible VST? At a reduced price and no external authorization? If available,
or would you prefer a full standalone VST anyway?? (Given the price reduction is a good bang)(btw~20~40% less)

Let say, Arturia Arp V full 149$ or 99$~89$ for just reason version (and internal auth?)????

Re8et
Competition Winner

07 May 2017

It's a booby trap
Do you consider an RE a VST that is not yet made for working in reason?
Should we/I consider all VST's as RE?
I mean probably, an RE, an RE, if so, and a VST a VST
still booby trap

If Zvork (i.e.) still makes RE that are programmed as RE and you can choose the VST, now, that is also included in the pool, yes RE, No = Vst.
but I'm also talking about the other VST's which do no have an RE version right now and if we would like to see them playable only within reasons.
That don't make them RE. Do They? In part yes, in part not.

miscend

07 May 2017

What would be the point of a Reason only VST? I just don't see the incentive for developers to go that route.

Re8et
Competition Winner

07 May 2017

I don't know! Bundles?
Different workflow for developing with existing RE devs the next gen VST?
It can be many..
Happy reasonistas...

Re8et
Competition Winner

07 May 2017

The prop shop is good for RE but not VST at this point, I don't know how it would eventually evolve the interaction stuff...
But it has HUGE potential by itself, and that is because everyone likes the way it works, that would be stupid not to jump on that train.
Godspeed.

Oquasec

07 May 2017

So basically asking for a rack extension, without rack extension capabilities.
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

IAMGOD

07 May 2017

Oquasec wrote:So basically asking for a rack extension, without rack extension capabilities.

I think what he's asking is, if you have a RE and you find the same in a VST plug-in, would you buy the VST plug in...

For example theres a rack ext, the RE-2A compressor which is an emulation of the LA-2A. UAD also makes that plug-in so my answer would be yes. I have the several versions of VSt's that I also own as rack ext. If its a decision between a RE and the UAD version of the same plug-in. Id go with the UAD version.
Follow me on Instagram: Mr_Relevant
And live vicariously through me.

madmacman

08 May 2017

It's quite easy to restrict a VST to a host, and it has been done before (IIRC Steinberg Cubase?) but - as the example indicates - for bundling VST with hosts from the same company.

Advantage for the developers would be: same codebase for different target markets.

But this would only work if this (so to say) "region code" for hosts would also be introduced for other hosts. Which means in the end: if you switch your host, then you'll have to pay again. I don't dare to imagine the upcoming shitstorm then...

If developers restrict this model to Reason only, then many people would feel ripped off - which in turn brings negative image to the company.

tl;dr: I don't see this coming...

ltbrunt00

08 May 2017

Different options for different people is always a good thing.

If the VST is two $200.00 dollars and only $99 bucks for the reason only version I can definitely see people going for that. We buy Rack Extensions all the time without the prospect of it ever using it in another DAW. Maybe there would be an upgrade fee to add functionality to allow you to use it outside of reason.

With the Reason only VST there could be more incentives for the VST creator to make there VST free of bugs. Updating these VST's through the Prop shop would be nice.

I plan on using all my current and future VST instruments in reason anyway.
Reason, Nuendo, Studio One
https://soundcloud.com/user-404930848

ltbrunt00

08 May 2017

I only invested time and money in Studio One because Reason didn't support VST.

Oquasec

08 May 2017

If the plugins were the same [example is spire] I'd personally get the RE version every single time.
Cuz vsts do not have sync all, easy file management [vst file management is simple but slower]

Setting up omnisphere again will probably be a pain in the ass since I haven't used it in a while for example. :lol:
Producer/Programmer.

ltbrunt00

08 May 2017

Oquasec wrote:If the plugins were the same [example is spire] I'd personally get the RE version every single time.
Cuz vsts do not have sync all, easy file management [vst file management is simple but slower]

Setting up omnisphere again will probably be a pain in the ass since I haven't used it in a while for example. :lol:

I was looking at Omnisphere the other day. Is it a pain n butt to install/Authorize license?

Oquasec

08 May 2017

It's not ever going be as seamless as reason's Sync all option, but it gets the job done.
You just install 6 discs, run the license through.

Be aware that most of it's patches are drenched in reverb xD
Producer/Programmer.

kitekrazy

08 May 2017

Question makes no sense. There is already REs.

Re8et
Competition Winner

11 May 2017

Zvork Oberon just got a massive discount, in the mad may sale, and I just got it.... over the VST that still is full price.
Legend has both RE and VST version. We don't know what the future would look like, also, there is already RE...
RE you can buy also outside PH, I do not know how that works, and certainly thare can be more than one way to commercialize a product
for the Reason audience, I just don't know enough to give a satisfactory explanation to your questions.

Ps. There are also VST's bundled with premium audiocard /LEA1 uses this card DSP's... you see there are lots of bundle stuff to be exploited I don't have the minimum amount of knowledge for beginning to speak of. But there are possibilities in the VST RE department, and I don't have a definition for them.

Still booby trap, the question, multiple interpretation, I agree.

Audiotic

13 May 2017

kitekrazy wrote:Question makes no sense. There is already REs.
This.

The high quality of some of the big VSTs is (imho) mostly due to the fact that there's a lot of professionals buying the plugins/libraries which is why there's a lot of money/energy put into the development.
A Reason-only market can't produce those numbers, so Reason Only VSTs would not be any better than REs... on the contrary. Less integrated, less stable... no sense!

• Information