Vengeance Sound's VPS Avenger is simply *THE BEST* VST synth on the market for EDM, IMHO

Discuss VST stuff here!
mojo
Posts: 97
Joined: 12 May 2015
Location: france

Post 16 May 2017

i'd also like to get this synth but I can't even pay for the Oberon 2 upgrade : ((

User avatar
davidvilla
Posts: 208
Joined: 16 Jan 2015

Post 17 May 2017

EnochLight wrote:
Any of you Omnisphere 2 owners score a copy on the cheap somehow? Curious as to whether or not they put it on sale often...
I don't know where you're from, but I got mine from JRRShop. Using the code "FORUM" drops it down to $426.31. Still pricey, but this synth has changed my music making and I should have gotten it earlier.

User avatar
EnochLight
Posts: 5494
Joined: 17 Jan 2015
Location: your mom

Post 17 May 2017

davidvilla wrote:
EnochLight wrote:
Any of you Omnisphere 2 owners score a copy on the cheap somehow? Curious as to whether or not they put it on sale often...
I don't know where you're from, but I got mine from JRRShop. Using the code "FORUM" drops it down to $426.31. Still pricey, but this synth has changed my music making and I should have gotten it earlier.
Thanks but, I'm looking for substantially more than just 11% off the street price. I appreciate the find, though!
Windows 10 | Reason 10.4 |  Studio One 4.5 | Asus Sabertooth Z77 | Intel i7 3770k Quad-Core @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | Mushkin Reactor 1TB SSD | RME Babyface Pro| Nektar Panorama P-4 | Akai MPC Live | Roland System 8 | Roland TR-8 with 7x7 Expansion

User avatar
AzureEyes
Posts: 215
Joined: 23 Aug 2016

Post 17 May 2017

EnochLight wrote:
davidvilla wrote:
EnochLight wrote:
Any of you Omnisphere 2 owners score a copy on the cheap somehow? Curious as to whether or not they put it on sale often...
I don't know where you're from, but I got mine from JRRShop. Using the code "FORUM" drops it down to $426.31. Still pricey, but this synth has changed my music making and I should have gotten it earlier.
Thanks but, I'm looking for substantially more than just 11% off the street price. I appreciate the find, though!
That's not going to happen lol. Spectrasonics stuff is pricy for a reason!


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

koshal
Posts: 47
Joined: 19 Apr 2015

Post 17 May 2017

Bought VPS Avenger after playing with the demo and it's the most fun and inspired I've been playing with a synth. It's really amazing and sounds fantastic. I also own Omnisphere 2 and Serum (both are great) but VPS Avenger just really does it for me.

User avatar
EnochLight
Posts: 5494
Joined: 17 Jan 2015
Location: your mom

Post 17 May 2017

Not to digress from this thread, but since so many people seem to crush on Omnisphere 2, I decided to do more research on it. Here's my take (and I'm wondering how all of you Omnisphere 2 fans feel about this):

Specrasonics have come a long way since Omnisphere 1 almost 10 years ago, because Omnisphere 1 looked like Scott Forstall ate a brushed metal fruit salad and drank too many early 2000's OSX cocktails, and thew up a GUI/UX:
SpectrasonicsOmnisphere_1.jpg
I mean, I know it's all about the sound, but goddamn man - that thing is ugly LOL!

Anyway, Omnisphere 2 has definitely made improvements to the GUI/UX, but it still seems a bit... dated... for my tastes. I mean, especially compared to such things as Serum or VPS Avenger. Maybe it's the copious use of brushed metal and poorly executed skeuomorphism? I dunno - you guys tell me. Do you like looking at Omnisphere 2 when you work in it?

I know I've been bitching about the cost (which - sorry - it's retarded expensive IMHO), but I do realize a metric shit ton of work has gone into making the content library. Just reading up on some of the journeys taken just to sample unique content is truly amazing, and reminds me of the early Mute (record label) years, in particular the Berlin days with Depeche Mode. That's bad ass.

So yeah, I suppose the 12,500+strong patch library and 60+ Gigs is what you're paying for. I can appreciate that. My wallet can't, but I can. :lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Windows 10 | Reason 10.4 |  Studio One 4.5 | Asus Sabertooth Z77 | Intel i7 3770k Quad-Core @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | Mushkin Reactor 1TB SSD | RME Babyface Pro| Nektar Panorama P-4 | Akai MPC Live | Roland System 8 | Roland TR-8 with 7x7 Expansion

User avatar
AzureEyes
Posts: 215
Joined: 23 Aug 2016

Post 17 May 2017

EnochLight wrote:Not to digress from this thread, but since so many people seem to crush on Omnisphere 2, I decided to do more research on it. Here's my take (and I'm wondering how all of you Omnisphere 2 fans feel about this):

Specrasonics have come a long way since Omnisphere 1 almost 10 years ago, because Omnisphere 1 looked like Scott Forstall ate a brushed metal fruit salad and drank too many early 2000's OSX cocktails, and thew up a GUI/UX:
SpectrasonicsOmnisphere_1.jpg
I mean, I know it's all about the sound, but goddamn man - that thing is ugly LOL!

Anyway, Omnisphere 2 has definitely made improvements to the GUI/UX, but it still seems a bit... dated... for my tastes. I mean, especially compared to such things as Serum or VPS Avenger. Maybe it's the copious use of brushed metal and poorly executed skeuomorphism? I dunno - you guys tell me. Do you like looking at Omnisphere 2 when you work in it?

I know I've been bitching about the cost (which - sorry - it's retarded expensive IMHO), but I do realize a metric shit ton of work has gone into making the content library. Just reading up on some of the journeys taken just to sample unique content is truly amazing, and reminds me of the early Mute (record label) years, in particular the Berlin days with Depeche Mode. That's bad ass.

So yeah, I suppose the 12,500+strong patch library and 60+ Gigs is what you're paying for. I can appreciate that. My wallet can't, but I can. :lol:
If you say so


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

User avatar
AzureEyes
Posts: 215
Joined: 23 Aug 2016

Post 17 May 2017

EnochLight wrote:Not to digress from this thread, but since so many people seem to crush on Omnisphere 2, I decided to do more research on it. Here's my take (and I'm wondering how all of you Omnisphere 2 fans feel about this):

Specrasonics have come a long way since Omnisphere 1 almost 10 years ago, because Omnisphere 1 looked like Scott Forstall ate a brushed metal fruit salad and drank too many early 2000's OSX cocktails, and thew up a GUI/UX:
SpectrasonicsOmnisphere_1.jpg
I mean, I know it's all about the sound, but goddamn man - that thing is ugly LOL!

Anyway, Omnisphere 2 has definitely made improvements to the GUI/UX, but it still seems a bit... dated... for my tastes. I mean, especially compared to such things as Serum or VPS Avenger. Maybe it's the copious use of brushed metal and poorly executed skeuomorphism? I dunno - you guys tell me. Do you like looking at Omnisphere 2 when you work in it?

I know I've been bitching about the cost (which - sorry - it's retarded expensive IMHO), but I do realize a metric shit ton of work has gone into making the content library. Just reading up on some of the journeys taken just to sample unique content is truly amazing, and reminds me of the early Mute (record label) years, in particular the Berlin days with Depeche Mode. That's bad ass.

So yeah, I suppose the 12,500+strong patch library and 60+ Gigs is what you're paying for. I can appreciate that. My wallet can't, but I can. :lol:
Also it synth capabilities have been expanded too. People will pay 800 dollars for a Kontakt library but pass on Omnisphere 2 lol. The GUI looks fine in my opinion. Comparing Omnisphere to Serum and Avenger is kinda stupid because Omnisphere 2 is a lot more user friendly and has some great features that are not found in other soft synths. The Granular alone is worth the price. Also you get 60 GB of crazy stuff that you can use and abuse. Great quality stuff matter in fact. Omnisphere has a crazy modulation selection to. Avenger and Serum are totally different and sound wise Omnisphere sounds a lot more present then Avenger. Serum compliments Omnisphere 2 very very well. Eric Persing is a sound design pioneer and knows his shit! So does Manuel too but Avenger has things that Omnisphere 2 don't have but Omnisphere has that sound with not only its library and DSP waveforms but it's ease to use. Most of the samples in Omnisphere 2 rival a lot of industry standard Kontakt libraries and youncan mix and match and use them to create your own sounds. The Granular like I said before is powerful! Omnisphere 2 also intergrates with all Spectrasonics products (Keyscape, Trillian, another thing I can't speak about)

Also there are some cool updates coming! That will bring some crazy stuff not found in many synthesizers at all and might be revealed next year!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Last edited by AzureEyes on 17 May 2017, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
EnochLight
Posts: 5494
Joined: 17 Jan 2015
Location: your mom

Post 17 May 2017

AzureEyes wrote:Also it synth capabilities have been expanded too. People will pay 800 dollars for a Kontakt library but pass on Omnisphere 2 lol. The GUI looks fine in my opinion. Comparing Omnisphere to Serum and Avenger is kinda stupid because Omnisphere 2 is a lot more user friendly and has some great features that are not found in other soft synths. The Granular alone is worth the price. Also you get 60 GB of crazy stuff that you can use and abuse. Great quality stuff matter in fact. Omnisphere has a crazy modulation selection to. Avenger and Serum are totally different and sound wise Omnisphere sounds a lot more present then Avenger. Serum compliments Omnisphere 2 very very well. Eric Persing is a sound design pioneer and knows his shit! So does Manuel too but Avenger has things that Omnisphere 2 don't have but Omnisphere has that sound with not only its library and DSP waveforms but it's ease to use. Most of the samples in Omnisphere 2 rival a lot of industry standard Kontakt libraries and youncan mix and match and use them to create your own sounds. The Granular like I said before is powerful!
Yeah, I'm pretty convinced that it's the content that makes the cost so much. GUI/UX is clearly a matter of personal taste.

I've got my feelers out at KVR for a second hand license. We'll see if anything pans out. If not, I'll stick to Avenger, Serum, Spire, and my multitude of RE's and Reason stock stuff.
Windows 10 | Reason 10.4 |  Studio One 4.5 | Asus Sabertooth Z77 | Intel i7 3770k Quad-Core @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | Mushkin Reactor 1TB SSD | RME Babyface Pro| Nektar Panorama P-4 | Akai MPC Live | Roland System 8 | Roland TR-8 with 7x7 Expansion

User avatar
AzureEyes
Posts: 215
Joined: 23 Aug 2016

Post 17 May 2017

EnochLight wrote:
AzureEyes wrote:Also it synth capabilities have been expanded too. People will pay 800 dollars for a Kontakt library but pass on Omnisphere 2 lol. The GUI looks fine in my opinion. Comparing Omnisphere to Serum and Avenger is kinda stupid because Omnisphere 2 is a lot more user friendly and has some great features that are not found in other soft synths. The Granular alone is worth the price. Also you get 60 GB of crazy stuff that you can use and abuse. Great quality stuff matter in fact. Omnisphere has a crazy modulation selection to. Avenger and Serum are totally different and sound wise Omnisphere sounds a lot more present then Avenger. Serum compliments Omnisphere 2 very very well. Eric Persing is a sound design pioneer and knows his shit! So does Manuel too but Avenger has things that Omnisphere 2 don't have but Omnisphere has that sound with not only its library and DSP waveforms but it's ease to use. Most of the samples in Omnisphere 2 rival a lot of industry standard Kontakt libraries and youncan mix and match and use them to create your own sounds. The Granular like I said before is powerful!
Yeah, I'm pretty convinced that it's the content that makes the cost so much. GUI/UX is clearly a matter of personal taste.

I've got my feelers out at KVR for a second hand license. We'll see if anything pans out. If not, I'll stick to Avenger, Serum, Spire, and my multitude of RE's and Reason stock stuff.
Good luck! Also if you resample a lot. Omnisphere 2 is the king for that!


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

User avatar
Marco Raaphorst
Posts: 2453
Joined: 22 Jan 2015

Post 18 May 2017

The search option in Omnisphere where you can lock on LFO, filter or effect setting is superb. You can find same sounding sounds that way. Super unique and smart stuff.

Imo the most wanted feature these days is: finding the right sounds. We are still picking them from a list in Reason. No tags, no ways to find same sounding patches. These are stored only under a label like Bass, Pads, etc. Extremely old fashioned.

User avatar
SA Studio
Posts: 411
Joined: 19 Nov 2015

Post 18 May 2017

This is kinda funny. It's like making a "The American Stratocaster is the best guitar on the market!!!" thread.

The Strat is a 3 single-coil pickup electric guitar with a bolt-on neck. It can do Rock, Blues, Country like a boss.

The Gibson 335 is a big, semi-hollow body guitar with dual humbuckers, neck-thru construction, and can do Jazz, as well as other things, but especially Jazz like a boss.

There is no "Best", grasshopper. :puf_bigsmile:

Glad to see the excitement happening and people are finding out what else is out there, though! Gonna be a great new era for Reason. :reason:

wetfinger8
Posts: 1
Joined: 27 May 2017

Post 27 May 2017

For me avenger is the best synth in the market right now is so easy to use and have a lot of cool sounds

User avatar
aeox
Posts: 2148
Joined: 23 Feb 2017
Location: Oregon

Post 28 May 2017

i watched a video of someone going through the presets on this thing.

there was a few presets in there that could basically be passed off as "tracks" if you only added drums. this kind of thing is really dangerous in my opinion(as someone eager for knowledge and learning synthesis). i mean, it takes people some time to learn how to actually make those sounds from "scratch" and fully understand the steps it takes to achieve those sounds in there. yet, also shows how powerful of a synth/sampler it is!

i guess it's the same reason i don't use any kind of romplers or samplers such as Nexus, Omnishpere, etc. it takes away from my enjoyment of creating cool sounds and music. although, this synth is quite a different story because i could easily "init patch" and come up with some really cool stuff. without a doubt, record labels and such educate themselves with the various presets in synths, in order to weed out people with the "copy and paste"
mentality of music creation. and will always be looking for that sound that makes them think "how the F*** did they make that?"

a very interesting synth none-the-less. thanks for sharing because i would of probably never heard of it otherwise :P

User avatar
EnochLight
Posts: 5494
Joined: 17 Jan 2015
Location: your mom

Post 28 May 2017

aeox wrote:i watched a video of someone going through the presets on this thing.

there was a few presets in there that could basically be passed off as "tracks" if you only added drums. this kind of thing is really dangerous in my opinion(as someone eager for knowledge and learning synthesis). i mean, it takes people some time to learn how to actually make those sounds from "scratch" and fully understand the steps it takes to achieve those sounds in there. yet, also shows how powerful of a synth/sampler it is!

i guess it's the same reason i don't use any kind of romplers or samplers such as Nexus, Omnishpere, etc. it takes away from my enjoyment of creating cool sounds and music. although, this synth is quite a different story because i could easily "init patch" and come up with some really cool stuff. without a doubt, record labels and such educate themselves with the various presets in synths, in order to weed out people with the "copy and paste"
mentality of music creation. and will always be looking for that sound that makes them think "how the F*** did they make that?"

a very interesting synth none-the-less. thanks for sharing because i would of probably never heard of it otherwise :P
If you work professionally in the broadcast industry and need to come up with a quick jingle for a paying client, synth preset's like VPS Avenger's where some can be "single key = instant song" are absolutely priceless. At the end of the day, you score a job after a few tweaks quicker than it would take for one to spend an hour or several hammering out something.

I can see a use for both, though - most certainly!
Windows 10 | Reason 10.4 |  Studio One 4.5 | Asus Sabertooth Z77 | Intel i7 3770k Quad-Core @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | Mushkin Reactor 1TB SSD | RME Babyface Pro| Nektar Panorama P-4 | Akai MPC Live | Roland System 8 | Roland TR-8 with 7x7 Expansion

User avatar
aeox
Posts: 2148
Joined: 23 Feb 2017
Location: Oregon

Post 28 May 2017

EnochLight wrote:
aeox wrote:i watched a video of someone going through the presets on this thing.

there was a few presets in there that could basically be passed off as "tracks" if you only added drums. this kind of thing is really dangerous in my opinion(as someone eager for knowledge and learning synthesis). i mean, it takes people some time to learn how to actually make those sounds from "scratch" and fully understand the steps it takes to achieve those sounds in there. yet, also shows how powerful of a synth/sampler it is!

i guess it's the same reason i don't use any kind of romplers or samplers such as Nexus, Omnishpere, etc. it takes away from my enjoyment of creating cool sounds and music. although, this synth is quite a different story because i could easily "init patch" and come up with some really cool stuff. without a doubt, record labels and such educate themselves with the various presets in synths, in order to weed out people with the "copy and paste"
mentality of music creation. and will always be looking for that sound that makes them think "how the F*** did they make that?"

a very interesting synth none-the-less. thanks for sharing because i would of probably never heard of it otherwise :P
If you work professionally in the broadcast industry and need to come up with a quick jingle for a paying client, synth preset's like VPS Avenger's where some can be "single key = instant song" are absolutely priceless. At the end of the day, you score a job after a few tweaks quicker than it would take for one to spend an hour or several hammering out something.

I can see a use for both, though - most certainly!
very true and well put!

scratchnsnifff
Posts: 1258
Joined: 21 Sep 2016

Post 09 Oct 2017

So I picked up VPS avenger over the weekend and I must say that it is one of the most feature packed units I’ve worked with! When I first used the predator by RP I thought that was overwhelming with features and effects. Hahaha now that I have avenger it’s fun being back in that beginner stage of not knowing the ins and outs of a tool. So far it’s been mildly easy to program and making samples mixed with synthesis is absolutely awesome. I have had one slight issue when initializing, seems like every 3rd time I initialize the avenger screen goes dark and crashes Reason. Not sure if it’s a graphics bug but whenever the screen flashes it crashes shortly after has anyone experienced this? On a MacBook Pro
Mayor of plucktown :evil:

User avatar
Mastrcode
Posts: 33
Joined: 20 Jan 2015

Post 16 Oct 2017

I'm using Avenger for a while now. And it is an amazing synth. And i also have to say it's good not just for EDM stuff. If you go really deep into this synth, you can create all kind of powerful sounds with it. I don't want to compare it with other synths, every synth has its own pros and cons. Ok, if people are more preset chasers than creating sounds from scratch, it could be a a bit more difficult to understand the big bunch of features of this device. But if you have the right knowledge, how to use all its different types of synthesis, modulations, routings effects etc, it can be a huge sound monster. And not just for EDM or similar music. I personally really love the resampling, wavetable and granular features. It's amazing what you can do inside this plugin with just a simple sample . Example: take a resample or/and a granular oscillator and just load a simple kick sample. You can tweak this sample in so much ways. You can get really amazing sounds like bright leads, evolving and epic pads and atmospheres and much more out of it. For me Avenger is my new favorite choice, if i want to do some special and complex sound design.

DonnieAlan
Posts: 226
Joined: 25 Jan 2017

Post 16 Oct 2017

There's no question that Avenger belongs in the top tier of all VI's out there. It truly is one of the most powerful VI's currently available. There's so much you can do with it and use it for. I can easily imagine some very creative sound designs coming from using Avenger in the Combinator...as long as the CPU holds out! Things could get clogged in a hurry if one lacks the CPU horsepower. But other than that, huge sonic possibilities await!

User avatar
XysteR
Posts: 411
Joined: 20 Nov 2015

Post 17 Oct 2017

The last thing I need is yet another synth. I have seen and heard a fair bit of Avenger - I personally don't like it much. The next synth I buy will have to blow my socks off

User avatar
Rectro
Posts: 74
Joined: 02 Nov 2016

Post 20 Oct 2017

Vengeance VPS looks very feature packed, so much so that during watching the videos on it I just thought to myself, "No, its just too much, its overload and would take me way to long to get to use half of that"

Iv flicked through most of the replies to this thread and see little mentioned of Spire, I would not need anything after getting Spire for EDM, Dance, Trance, I think Spire is simple to use, very powerful, cheap sound sets, and kits, and easy, to use the rest is down to getting creative. I own Omnisphere 2, and this is for sure not for Dance music, but fills the gap for lush outstanding pads and alike, and has so much to offer yet is very intuitive to use, I realy like the UI. The sounds for Omnisphere just sounds like nothing else in Reason they have a edge to the sound that makes t stand out. Its because I have both Spire and Omnisphere 2 is why I have no intention to get Reason 10.

Dan

User avatar
EnochLight
Posts: 5494
Joined: 17 Jan 2015
Location: your mom

Post 20 Oct 2017

I’m currently engaged in the Avenger thread at KVR with the creator trying to convince him to fix the browser. Right now if you want to audition presets with your QWERTY up/down arrows, you have to hit the right arrow every time to “load” the patch. It’s irritating. I’m not sure why he can’t understand how Reason does it (and most other VST) is a better way.

:shrugs:

*EDIT: he doesn't have any intention of changing this. Very disappointing. :thumbs_down: :evil: :twisted:
Windows 10 | Reason 10.4 |  Studio One 4.5 | Asus Sabertooth Z77 | Intel i7 3770k Quad-Core @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | Mushkin Reactor 1TB SSD | RME Babyface Pro| Nektar Panorama P-4 | Akai MPC Live | Roland System 8 | Roland TR-8 with 7x7 Expansion

scratchnsnifff
Posts: 1258
Joined: 21 Sep 2016

Post 20 Oct 2017

Did you guys see the new green skin for avenger? It’s awesome avenger has scored some UI points in my book. But what gets me is it’s surprising ease of use at first I (like many others) thought the features were a bit much but after about a half hour it all made sense. I like using avengers “spectral filter” if that’s what it’s called. Avenger definatley has more additive features than a lot of the hybrid synths +1 :)
Mayor of plucktown :evil:

User avatar
EnochLight
Posts: 5494
Joined: 17 Jan 2015
Location: your mom

Post 20 Oct 2017

scratchnsnifff wrote:
20 Oct 2017
Did you guys see the new green skin for avenger? It’s awesome avenger has scored some UI points in my book.
I haven't seen the green skin - it's not included in the latest 1.2.5 update (?).. I'm using this one, which is pretty cool IMHO:


CHRONO_JADE.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Windows 10 | Reason 10.4 |  Studio One 4.5 | Asus Sabertooth Z77 | Intel i7 3770k Quad-Core @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | Mushkin Reactor 1TB SSD | RME Babyface Pro| Nektar Panorama P-4 | Akai MPC Live | Roland System 8 | Roland TR-8 with 7x7 Expansion

scratchnsnifff
Posts: 1258
Joined: 21 Sep 2016

Post 23 Oct 2017

EnochLight wrote:
20 Oct 2017
scratchnsnifff wrote:
20 Oct 2017
Did you guys see the new green skin for avenger? It’s awesome avenger has scored some UI points in my book.
I haven't seen the green skin - it's not included in the latest 1.2.5 update (?).. I'm using this one, which is pretty cool IMHO:



CHRONO_JADE.JPG
Jade** haha my bad I was close :p it’s hard To remember not seeing it :p but at least ya knew what I meant, do you think they will keep adding skins? I noticed another update is available but my vps avenger kinda freaks out when uploading the liscence key the avenger screen goes blinking like crazy
Mayor of plucktown :evil:

  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot] and 0 guests