Xfer Serum - you can "rent" to own for $9.99 USD/month

Discuss VST stuff here!
EnochLight

06 May 2017

Not sure if anyone here is interested in trying out Serum, but if you get it through Splice, it's only $9.99/month on a rent-to-own program. You can quit at any time (and resume where you left off), and once you pay for it 19 times (it's regular retail price from Xfer), you own it permanently. Kind of cool.

https://splice.com/plugins/15493-serum- ... er-records

That said, for those of you on 4K monitors or higher resolution than standard 1080p HD, you might want to know that its tiny GUI/UX was requested to be enlarged almost 2 years ago... and Steve Duda is still working on it. :roll: :lol:

https://www.xferrecords.com/forums/gene ... izable-gui

*EDIT: Splice is not compatible with Reason 9.5 as of May 13, 2017.
Last edited by EnochLight on 13 May 2017, edited 1 time in total.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

darkmaer

06 May 2017

Yup, the system works pretty great. I've started it up and had to put a hold on it a little bit ago. I've recently started the payments back up with no issues. 14 months to go lol. If it cuts down on piracy excuses then I think it's an awesome program. Wish other companies would allow this.

ltbrunt00

06 May 2017

Nice, Would be interesting if RE's were like this. I would be on an indefinite Props Layer-way.
Reason, Nuendo, Studio One
https://soundcloud.com/user-404930848

EnochLight

06 May 2017

Essentially it's like buying it with a zero interest loan, with super flexible payments (allowing you to cancel and restart at any time without losing the money you've paid into it). Quite ingenious actually.
Last edited by EnochLight on 09 May 2017, edited 1 time in total.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

16BitBear

07 May 2017

EnochLight wrote:Not sure if anyone here is interested in trying out Serum, but if you get it through Splice, it's only $9.99/month on a rent-to-own program. You can quit at any time (and resume where you left off), and once you pay for it 19 times (it's regular retail price from Xfer), you own it permanently. Kind of cool.

https://splice.com/plugins/15493-serum- ... er-records

That said, for those of you on 4K monitors or higher resolution than standard 1080p HD, you might want to know that its tiny GUI/UX was requested to be enlarged almost 2 years ago... and Steve Duda is still working on it. :roll: :lol:

https://www.xferrecords.com/forums/gene ... izable-gui
Yup, it is a nice program. I signed up months ago and the Splice client works easily and transparently. I am actually looking forward to running it and Expanse at the same time in Reason here shortly! :puf_bigsmile:

Andy
Competition Winner

08 May 2017

Thats actually pretty cool. Not a synth on my radar though. I was wondering how folks who complain about RE prices will now afford all these VST. :lol:

Oquasec

08 May 2017

omnisphere was a plugin I paid 500$ for.
Serum is another expanse/tableosc/waldorf wavetable creator but if you don't own a re or vst already with wavetable creation get serum :]
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

EnochLight

08 May 2017

Oquasec wrote:omnisphere was a plugin I paid 500$ for.
Yikes. I'm having a hard time convincing myself to buy a single synth plugin that costs more than virtually every single DAW under the sun! :S

Oquasec

08 May 2017

This is what you can compare omnisphere to btw [I'm dead serious]
It is basically:
50gb of refills and:
7 synthesizers with a universal X/Y modulator built into it.

So this means it's a thor with an nnxt hooked up to it in a combinator.
Producer/Programmer.

EnochLight

08 May 2017

Still a hard sell for $500 USD, IMHO. Any chance this thing goes on sale at all? Not sure of Spectrosonics policies...

Oquasec

08 May 2017

Dude, I'm a bigger cheapass than you and I got that plug years ago.
The highest I think rack extensions go for are 600$, and that's if those are huuuuuge bundles.
Producer/Programmer.

Kalm

08 May 2017

Been in the Serum thing for 2 months now. Works good for me
Courtesy of The Brew | Watch My Tutorials | Mac Mini Intel i7 Quad-Core | 16 GB RAM | Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB | Reason 11 Suite | Studio One 5 Professional | Presonus Quantum | Komplete Kontrol 49 MK2 | Event Opals | Follow me on Instagram

kitekrazy

08 May 2017

EnochLight wrote:
Yikes. I'm having a hard time convincing myself to buy a single synth plugin that costs more than virtually every single DAW under the sun! :S
Some users have pretty much dropped all of their other synths in favor of Omnishpere. I don't have it but the users I have communicated with have never regret buying it.

kitekrazy

08 May 2017

There are a lot of these monthly type deals entering the DAW market. They seem like a great deal but when you start this cycle you may lose track of how much a month goes for DAW stuff. I think I'd rather save money for it. This is a very competitive market and you will see more sales on "I must own" synths.

Oquasec

08 May 2017

Omnisphere is one of the few synths not called rack extensions I'd bother with, period.
Just me tho.
Producer/Programmer.

QVprod

08 May 2017

EnochLight wrote:Still a hard sell for $500 USD, IMHO. Any chance this thing goes on sale at all? Not sure of Spectrosonics policies...
Honestly, as a Reason user I'm not overly impressed by Omnisphere. It's great no doubt, but I think most of its capabilities are easily replicated between core Reason + REs.

Oquasec

08 May 2017

He's not kidding. A thor hooked up to an nnxt gives you similar results.
Producer/Programmer.

ltbrunt00

09 May 2017

I have not used Omnisphere. So I can't comment on that. I Got Komplete 11 back in the fall (Mainly for Kontakt) (Reaktor 6 is nice). I think the reason synths, refills and RE's are better than what comes in Komplete.

A lot of Spitfire plugins requires the full version on Kontakt, no way around it,

I do like Serum, I can't wait to use this in Reason.
Reason, Nuendo, Studio One
https://soundcloud.com/user-404930848

Oquasec

09 May 2017

I skipped komplete years back and stuck to kontakt only, since I didn't like any reaktor synths and to this day despise massive for it's sound and layout.
I thought serum is a nice synth though. :lol:
Last edited by Oquasec on 09 May 2017, edited 1 time in total.
Producer/Programmer.

selig
RE Developer

09 May 2017

EnochLight wrote:Essentially it's like buying it with a zero interest loan, with super flexible payments (allowing you to cancel and restart at any time without losing the money you've paid into it). Quit ingenious actually.
This is exactly what has been suggested for REs a number of times (by myself and many others) - ingenious? I would prefer to call it "pragmatic". ;)

Sent from some crappy device using Tapatalk
Selig Audio, LLC

EnochLight

09 May 2017

selig wrote:This is exactly what has been suggested for REs a number of times (by myself and many others) - ingenious? I would prefer to call it "pragmatic". ;)
How about: ingeniously pragmatic? :D ;)

EnochLight

13 May 2017

*UPDATE: Splice is not compatible with Reason 9.5 as of May 13, 2017.

AzureEyes

13 May 2017

Serum is another expanse/tableosc/waldorf wavetable creator but if you don't own a re or vst already with wavetable creation get serum :]
Do some research! Serum is totally different then Expanse and Waldorf stuff. Serum has a complex editor and the only other synth that has a complex editor like Serum is Icarus from Tone 2. Also Serum has a powerful feature called the Formula Parser which can do millions of things to the wavetable through processing and it can also make wavetables through FFT math!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

AzureEyes

13 May 2017

EnochLight wrote:Still a hard sell for $500 USD, IMHO. Any chance this thing goes on sale at all? Not sure of Spectrosonics policies...
Spectrasonics stuff never goes on sale. Sweetwater sells their stuff a little cheaper but not by much!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Oquasec

13 May 2017

expanse is the same thing as serum, which is why you can use their wavetables.
Mostly the same specs, except expanse has 2 more oscillators and more controls and options than serum does, even without using a tableosc RE attached to it in a combinator.

And before that I would use waldorf's exe program with the nnxt or using a thor's modmatrix to draw my waveforms in.
Producer/Programmer.

• Information