Waiting for the VST shills and reps

Discuss VST stuff here!
Ostermilk

03 May 2017

One nice thing about Reason having always been a closed format is that we've never had professional spammers hawking their wares around the forums. Sure there's been some community led publicity for Refills and RE's but there's always been something quite quaint and reserved about that and even helpful at times.

I've got a feeling that our little village market here may soon turn into a ghastly shopping mall. I suppose that's OK if it stays in this section of the forum but it's been a big turn off for me on other DAW vendors forums and it's always been refreshing that neither here nor the PUF suffered from it.

I'd have a bet on the first major to vendor appear, but I will keep those odds to myself... :D

stratatonic

03 May 2017

Ostermilk wrote:One nice thing about Reason having always been a closed format is that we've never had professional spammers hawking their wares around the forums. Sure there's been some community led publicity for Refills and RE's but there's always been something quite quaint and reserved about that and even helpful at times.

I've got a feeling that our little village market here may soon turn into a ghastly shopping mall. I suppose that's OK if it stays in this section of the forum but it's been a big turn off for me on other DAW vendors forums and it's always been refreshing that neither here nor the PUF suffered from it.

I'd have a bet on the first major to vendor appear, but I will keep those odds to myself... :D
Heh, I was just going to post the same thing! :puf_bigsmile:

Obi - or is it Peter these days? may be here soon with all the fabulous deals...

And there a few ringers out on some forums that help sway plugin purchases. Way more subtle than some Southern European software companies.

Ostermilk

03 May 2017

stratatonic wrote:
Obi - or is it Peter these days? may be here soon with all the fabulous deals...

And there a few ringers out on some forums that help sway plugin purchases. Way more subtle than some Southern European software companies.
Obi...LMFAO

Those were the days, eh?

scratchnsnifff

04 May 2017

Maybe there could be a sub forum for the straight up advertising of a vst? That Would at least be an attempt at containing the spam
Mayor of plucktown :evil:

Oquasec

04 May 2017

Vst is a fine format. But I don' treally feel like using those unless they have cv ports at the back, too complacent with wires to go back as of reason 5 :lol:
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

pjeudy

04 May 2017

I don't min plugin adds...if it's managed right by Reasontalk ...there are devices that you may never be aware of that might be of interest to someone once he/she sees an add about it.
My opinion is that Propellerhead REASON needs a complete rewrite!
P.S: people should stop saying "No it won't happen" when referring to a complete rewrite of REASON. I have 3 letters for ya....VST
Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:53 pm

joeyluck

04 May 2017

We will continue to monitor and moderate the forums the same as always.
If it's a thread promoting a VST, it will be in this forum. If the promoting seems excessive by any one member, we will step in.

We will handle it the same as with RE and ReFill developers promoting their products. Which honestly we haven't seen anything here that I would consider excessive in those forums. And a big factor there is that those who typically post here are involved and answering questions. It carries a much different feeling when someone instead 'posts and runs.' That's when it feels like ads. We won't tolerate much of that.

chk071

04 May 2017

Ostermilk wrote:One nice thing about Reason having always been a closed format is that we've never had professional spammers hawking their wares around the forums. Sure there's been some community led publicity for Refills and RE's but there's always been something quite quaint and reserved about that and even helpful at times.

Don't quite get what you mean. I'm frequenting KVR a lot, where there is much VST talk, and i don't see too many "shills and reps" whatever those mean. Frankly, i think that the presence of "shills" is mainly a paranoid construct from people hating on specific products and companies. I have yet to see the "hoard of shills" on internet forums, or social media. I would say that is a myth mostly, really.

Although i do know a dev who posted in unrelated threads advertising his product in the sense of "hey, check out product XY, it can do this sound very well!". He didn't do that very much recently though, and now he and his company seems to be gone anyway.
:reason: :rebirth:

chk071

04 May 2017

BTW, on a (almost) unrelated note, i find this forum quite outstanding in terms of how people deal with each other. I hardly ever visited a forum where there's such a level of respect, and also acceptance of sometimes uncomfortable opinions. I sometimes rant a bit about Reason or RE's too, and really mostly earned reasonable, and respectful replies, while elsewhere (also on KVR), i surely would have been given a hard time elsewhere. Kudos for that. :) Shows the matureness of the participants here.

Ostermilk

04 May 2017

joeyluck wrote:We will continue to monitor and moderate the forums the same as always.
If it's a thread promoting a VST, it will be in this forum. If the promoting seems excessive by any one member, we will step in.

We will handle it the same as with RE and ReFill developers promoting their products. Which honestly we haven't seen anything here that I would consider excessive in those forums. And a big factor there is that those who typically post here are involved and answering questions. It carries a much different feeling when someone instead 'posts and runs.' That's when it feels like ads. We won't tolerate much of that.
Cheers Joey that's how I'd like to see it handled.

chk071:

If you really didn't know.
A shill, also called a plant or a stooge, is a person who publicly helps or gives credibility to a person or organization without disclosing that they have a close relationship with the person or organization. Shills can carry out their operations in the areas of media, journalism, marketing, confidence games, or other business areas. A shill may also act to discredit opponents or critics of the person or organization in which they have a vested interest through character assassination or other means.
I'm sure I don't have explain 'rep' do I?

If you don't think they are real then perhaps you may be also be interested in my range of high end designer watches at incredible prices, especially hand picked, just for you.

chk071

05 May 2017

I do know what both means. I still think, the omnipresence of both of shills is mainly a construct by paranoid people. No offense. :P And a rep is usually labelled as one. I see quite a few RE developers in these forums BTW. Just saying.

kitekrazy

05 May 2017

Probably not. That doesn't exist in most forums unless they pay for advertising.

Ostermilk

08 May 2017

chk071 wrote:I do know what both means. I still think, the omnipresence of both of shills is mainly a construct by paranoid people. No offense. :P And a rep is usually labelled as one. I see quite a few RE developers in these forums BTW. Just saying.
Did you even read the OP?

Stratatonic and myself already had a bit of an in joke about a completely OTT and laughable character that did exist on a distant forum not far away, complete with his companies logo as an avatar whilst insisting he had no vested interest in anything as he shared his wisdom in various topics yet always referring to a solution using one of said products. So no, not a paranoid construct just a general observation from experience.

I also can't for the life of me see where I referred to the omnipresence of anything. Joey has already expressed the balanced view likely to be taken by the mods and I've already positively acknowledged that.

theshoemaker

08 May 2017

Ostermilk wrote: If you don't think they are real then perhaps you may be also be interested in my range of high end designer watches at incredible prices, especially hand picked, just for you.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
:PUF_figure: latest :reason: V12 on MacOS Ventura

jfrichards

08 May 2017

There are people who lie for personal gain? Say it ain't so! I thought all politicians, experts, tenured professors, reporters, and religious leaders were in it for the good of humanity! Lucky for us there's a lot more money to be made in the promotion and distribution of music versus independent music creation.

chk071

08 May 2017

Ostermilk wrote:
chk071 wrote:I do know what both means. I still think, the omnipresence of both of shills is mainly a construct by paranoid people. No offense. :P And a rep is usually labelled as one. I see quite a few RE developers in these forums BTW. Just saying.
Did you even read the OP?

Stratatonic and myself already had a bit of an in joke about a completely OTT and laughable character that did exist on a distant forum not far away, complete with his companies logo as an avatar whilst insisting he had no vested interest in anything as he shared his wisdom in various topics yet always referring to a solution using one of said products. So no, not a paranoid construct just a general observation from experience.

I also can't for the life of me see where I referred to the omnipresence of anything. Joey has already expressed the balanced view likely to be taken by the mods and I've already positively acknowledged that.
Ok, if your mere point was that shills exist, then, fair enough. I can't see how it would be in any way a thing which happens every day, really. Yes, they exist. Somewhere. Extremely rare species. K. Don't think it's a very frequent thing though, on KVR, or anywhere else. It's just paranoid people who seem them behind every corner. No need to get scared about it.
Ostermilk wrote:I've got a feeling that our little village market here may soon turn into a ghastly shopping mall.

EnochLight

09 May 2017

Ostermilk wrote:I've got a feeling that our little village market here may soon turn into a ghastly shopping mall.
I really hope it does - that would be awesome! If I can get my wares directly from the Prop Shop instead of scouring the Internet, that would be ideal. But even if Reasontalk serves as a central repository to find good deals, then that would be splendid as well. Anything to keep me from having to wade through the trolls at other forums. ;)
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

• Information