Drag'n'Drop Samples in VST??

Discuss VST stuff here!
GRIFTY

30 Apr 2017

will somebody with the beta confirm this for me? i'm bursting with curiosity about whether or not this will work.
1. Can we drag samples from anywhere into the vst window???
2. Will vsts that support audio formats that reason DOES NOT... i.e. FLAC..... work within the VST and therefore reason?

chimp_spanner

30 Apr 2017

GRIFTY wrote:will somebody with the beta confirm this for me? i'm bursting with curiosity about whether or not this will work.
1. Can we drag samples from anywhere into the vst window???
2. Will vsts that support audio formats that reason DOES NOT... i.e. FLAC..... work within the VST and therefore reason?
It would appear not, at this time. Trying to drag a sample into Kontakt from the browser and no dice. Sorry!

esselfortium

30 Apr 2017

1) Probably a case-by-case situation, at best. If the VST's interface is coded to allow dragging and dropping files from folder windows in Finder or Windows Explorer, and it doesn't work with Reason's browser, then making Reason's browser behave similarly would be a sensible feature request to make to Propellerhead. If the VST doesn't support that, though, there's not much that Reason can do about it, and it'd be a feature request to make to the VST developer themselves.

2) Yes. From what I understand, VSTs' functionality (including file loading) are pretty much completely separate from the host's capabilities. You can think of it almost like each VST plugin is a separate program that's designed to be synchronized with a DAW.
Sarah Mancuso
My music: Future Human

Gulale

30 Apr 2017

It is different from host to host I think. I remember me trying to drag and drop kick drum on Arturia Spark in Studio one which refused was working like a breath in Bitwig.
Gulale aka Bereket

borracho

30 Apr 2017

You can drag sample from Finder/Win Explorer to VST window - it works well (I've tested with Serum and Maschine).
But you can't drag sample from Reason browser for some reasons... may be Pheads fix it in the next updates

GRIFTY

30 Apr 2017

thank you guys! seems promising and though i don't have time to sign up for beta right now, i am extremely excited to get my hands on it in the future

Expl0rer

28 Sep 2019

2 years later - nope.
Try to drop a Sample from Browser into ReGroover (3th party VST) dont work.
:?

MrFigg
Competition Winner

28 Sep 2019

Expl0rer wrote:
28 Sep 2019
2 years later - nope.
It may be because the sample is part of a refill.
If you drag the sample from the refill into the Sequencer and then bounce to disc you’ll then be able to drag it into ReGroover.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Expl0rer

28 Sep 2019

MrFigg wrote:
28 Sep 2019
Expl0rer wrote:
28 Sep 2019
2 years later - nope.
If you drag the sample from the refill into the Sequencer and then bounce to disc you’ll then be able to drag it into ReGroover.
No, it also not works with Reason Refill Samples drop in 3th VST´s.

I try it with a Refill WAV from from Reason Drum Supply into Glitchmachines Palindrom, Serum, Reason Extension Rytmik.
Just in Kong, Europa or Reason Stock Instruments, i can drop Samples.
Its sure not a very young and not the one workflow barrier. I just wonder.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

29 Sep 2019

Expl0rer wrote:
28 Sep 2019
MrFigg wrote:
28 Sep 2019

No, it also not works with Reason Refill Samples drop in 3th VST´s.

I try it with a Refill WAV from from Reason Drum Supply into Glitchmachines Palindrom, Serum, Reason Extension Rytmik.
Just in Kong, Europa or Reason Stock Instruments, i can drop Samples.
Its sure not a very young and not the one workflow barrier. I just wonder.
It’s BECAUSE the sample is contained within a refill that you can’t drag it straight into those VSTs. If you have a folder with samples (not a Refill) and you navigate to that folder in the browser then you can drag THOSE samples into Glitchmachines, Regroover or whatever.

Samples CAN be dropped from refills into Reason devices and REs because that’s what refills are made for.

Again, if the samples are wrapped in a refill then, in order to be able to use them in your VST, you need to do as I described above.
1. Open the refill in the browser.
2. Navigate to the sample.
3. Drag the sample you want into the Sequencer.
4. Select that track and bounce to disc.

Now you have a sample saved which you can drag straight into your VSTs.
Last edited by MrFigg on 29 Sep 2019, edited 1 time in total.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

ljekio

29 Sep 2019

MrFigg wrote:
28 Sep 2019

I think that a reason.

dezma

29 Sep 2019

Nope still not possible and one of the many reasons i'm changing DAW. It's as ridiculous as loops still not playing in sync

ljekio

29 Sep 2019

Loops playing sync when preview it from DrRex's loop editor browser.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

29 Sep 2019

dezma wrote:
29 Sep 2019
Nope still not possible and one of the many reasons i'm changing DAW. It's as ridiculous as loops still not playing in sync
Ok. I’m maybe misunderstanding what you’re trying to do. The steps I outlined in order to extract a sample from a refill in order to use it in a VST work. I do it all the time. I have ReGroover and nearly all the Glitchmachines which you say you are trying to use.
Also, you can't drag samples into Rytmik as you can with Kong or ReDrum. Rytmik's samples are contained within the device itself. If however you navigate to the Rytmik Patch Folder you'll be able to find all the different drum hit samples there which you can then use in Kong or ReDrum.

You’re talking about loops now. Do you mean sample loops or Rex loops?
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

dezma

30 Sep 2019

MrFigg wrote:
29 Sep 2019
dezma wrote:
29 Sep 2019
Ok. I’m maybe misunderstanding what you’re trying to do. The steps I outlined in order to extract a sample from a refill in order to use it in a VST work. I do it all the time. I have ReGroover and nearly all the Glitchmachines which you say you are trying to use.
Also, you can't drag samples into Rytmik as you can with Kong or ReDrum. Rytmik's samples are contained within the device itself. If however you navigate to the Rytmik Patch Folder you'll be able to find all the different drum hit samples there which you can then use in Kong or ReDrum.

This is what I mean (and I also think GRIFTY?)

Drag and drop a WAV sample from the internal reason browser into a drag and drop capable VST and nothing happens. Do the same thing from win explorer and no issues. Do the same thing from internal studio one browser and no issues. Seems rather clear to me this is an issue at reason side? My test VST was VST avenger btw, but I know I tried others in the past such as Nerve with identical results.

Actually I logged this a few years ago with following result (16 june 2017)
2) Correct, we do not support drag and drop to the VSTs at the moment, but it's in our backlog.

Second point: during playback, if you preview your WAV (not REX) loops, they do not sync the BPM. Both Live and Studio One (and probably all others) have no issues with this.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

30 Sep 2019

dezma wrote:
30 Sep 2019
MrFigg wrote:
29 Sep 2019

Drag and drop a WAV sample from the internal reason browser into a drag and drop capable VST and nothing happens. Do the same thing from win explorer and no issues. Do the same thing from internal studio one browser and no issues. Seems rather clear to me this is an issue at reason side? My test VST was VST avenger btw, but I know I tried others in the past such as Nerve with identical results.

2) Correct, we do not support drag and drop to the VSTs at the moment, but it's in our backlog.

Second point: during playback, if you preview your WAV (not REX) loops, they do not sync the BPM. Both Live and Studio One (and probably all others) have no issues with this.
Ok. One last time. :)
If the sample is a stand-alone Sample, That is to say NOT contained in a refill, then you can navigate to its folder in the browser and drag it into your VST from there. If you only see the sample when you open a refill, That is to say the sample is CONTAINED WITHIN the refill, then you can’t drag it into your VST. In this situation you need to GET THE SAMPLE OUT OF THE REFILL. The steps I outlined above will allow you to do this. YOU CAN’T drag a sample directly from a ReFill into a VST. You CAN however drag a sample from a refill into any Reason native device or Rack Extension because Refills are made to be used specifically with Reason devices and REs.

When you audition a Rex loop in the browser the sample plays back at the tempo which was set when the loop was made no matter what tempo you have set on the Sequencer. Once you drag that loop into an octorex it will sync to the tempo you have in the Sequencer.

When you audition a wav you hear the loop as it was recorded, the length and the tempo are set. You CAN drag the loop into the Sequencer and time stretch it to make it fit in with the length of the bars in your song. It may sound strange depending on where the beats fall but there you.

Hope you understand now.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

dezma

30 Sep 2019

MrFigg wrote:
30 Sep 2019
dezma wrote:
30 Sep 2019

If the sample is a stand-alone Sample, That is to say NOT contained in a refill, then you can navigate to its folder in the browser and drag it into your VST from there. If you only see the sample when you open a refill, That is to say the sample is CONTAINED WITHIN the refill, then you can’t drag it into your VST. In this situation you need to GET THE SAMPLE OUT OF THE REFILL. The steps I outlined above will allow you to do this. YOU CAN’T drag a sample directly from a ReFill into a VST. You CAN however drag a sample from a refill into any Reason native device or Rack Extension because Refills are made to be used specifically with Reason devices and REs.

When you audition a Rex loop in the browser the sample plays back at the tempo which was set when the loop was made no matter what tempo you have set on the Sequencer. Once you drag that loop into an octorex it will sync to the tempo you have in the Sequencer.

When you audition a wav you hear the loop as it was recorded, the length and the tempo are set. You CAN drag the loop into the Sequencer and time stretch it to make it fit in with the length of the bars in your song. It may sound strange depending on where the beats fall but there you.

Hope you understand now.
I perfectly understood what you were saying from the first time. So let me repeat myself and hopefully you will understand: the sample drag and drop from reason browser does not work in my system. Hasn't from R9.5 up to R11 non logging. It's always the first thing I check when a new beta arrives.

Well, the auditioning part is where others get it right, and reason does not. They just play in sync as if you already dragged / timestretched them. So instead of wild guessing what MIGHT fit in, you can actually hear what DOES fit in on the fly.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

30 Sep 2019

dezma wrote:
30 Sep 2019
MrFigg wrote:
30 Sep 2019

Hope you understand now.
I perfectly understood what you were saying from the first time. So let me repeat myself and hopefully you will understand: the sample drag and drop from reason browser does not work in my system. Hasn't from R9.5 up to R11 non logging. It's always the first thing I check when a new beta arrives.

Well, the auditioning part is where others get it right, and reason does not. They just play in sync as if you already dragged / timestretched them. So instead of wild guessing what MIGHT fit in, you can actually hear what DOES fit in on the fly.
Aaaaaaa. Yeah...hahaha, you're totally correct. I just got caught up in the whole refill thing because that's the explanation I got from the Regroover guy when I asked him the same question. Guess I've just been opening the folders in Windows and dragging the samples in from there. The same holds true however, if you want to get a sample out of a refill so can actually use it in your VST then drag it out to the sequencer and bounce it to disk. Guess you probably already knew that to begin with :).
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

• Information