Which VST Plug In(s)?

Discuss VST stuff here!
ThisIsNotTheMusic

28 Apr 2017

So, a whole new world of opportunities has opened up in Reason. We can talk about VST's!

What I really want to know is, what VST Plug in will you use in Reason and why - what will it do better/differently to existing Re's and Instruments.

I have heard people drooling over Guitar Rig, Native Instruments stuff, Serum, Ozone 7 etc. Are these things really any better than the existing tools we have to work with as dedicated Reason users? :?
https://soundcloud.com/hissotheusic

In space, no one can hear your song ....

Ostermilk

28 Apr 2017

Choice is what opens up. Opportunities are what you make of the choices available.

It's like hitting a bulls arse with a banjo now, you can't miss... :)

joeyluck

28 Apr 2017

I'm exploring sample libraries. Orchestral stuff.

Something like Ozone and RX 6 are great, but even those run as a standalone programs which is how many users use them already. Will be cool to throw some of those plugins in here and there perhaps. So I guess that's the added bonus with pulling the trigger on those now. I've been trying VSTs all day. Haven't come across any synths I feel I have a real need for in which to compromise my workflow. Programming and making changes in a pop-out window is just clunky. I could however see myself ending up with a u-he synth like Zebra/Dark Zebra just to have Howard Scarr's patches to browse.

For me, the sacrifice of investing in VST will be integration: Downloading, license syncing, patch browsing, workflow in the rack (without a pop-out window), future-proofing, etc. are all things I value greatly. So something really has to grab me in order to give those things up. And right now, sample libraries are the only things I find might be worth it for me. I don't have to access their interfaces as often as a synth. And I would really like some choir libraries. That's where I'm at now. Things can change over time.

fieldframe
RE Developer

28 Apr 2017

I'm planning on rediscovering Reaktor. I bought Reaktor 5 a few years ago and used it on a few tracks, but never got too deeply into it because the EMI loopback was always too much of a hassle, and my attempts to use Reaktor with other DAWs never felt quite as inspiring as just using Reason.

ShawnG

28 Apr 2017

ThisIsNotTheMusic wrote:So, a whole new world of opportunities has opened up in Reason. We can talk about VST's!

What I really want to know is, what VST Plug in will you use in Reason and why - what will it do better/differently to existing Re's and Instruments.

I have heard people drooling over Guitar Rig, Native Instruments stuff, Serum, Ozone 7 etc. Are these things really any better than the existing tools we have to work with as dedicated Reason users? :?
Well, on the positive end of the spectrum for Reason, there isn't a better REX loop player than dr octo, theres nothing quite like malstrom out there, and the pulveriser has a sound I havent been able to find elsewhere either. there are drum samplers/synths better than kong, but not by a whole lot really. In the re arena, theres selig's stuff, and a few others that raise the bar, but most are really esoteric, or a clone of an existing vst.

You will be able to get a better sampler in Kontakt (although youll lose the live sampling in reason's devices). reaktor is amazing, and a whole world unto itself, u-he's synths are amazing. Youll be able to work with the supersynths like omnisphere, or synthmaster. Aas's physical modeling synths are something you wont find in reason's rack either. reason has always lacked for a truly good drum library and there are several available with round robin hit capability, like BFD and superior Drummer, and addictive drummer. for the guitarist virtually all of the available options in vst land can outperform the softube amps, and even kuassa for the most part. The full Ozone is ridiculously deep for mastering (and mixing) And just the sheer volume of choice means that if you are looking for a sound, or a clone of some obscure old synth it probably already exists. You can of course, spend a whole ton of money. NI Komplete is a good buy to cover a lot of bases really well, but it costs more than reason does.

I've been buying VST's for a long time, and ive gotten to the point that I already own basically everything that I want, and that list is extremely long. But if I was just looking to plug "holes", i would get Komplete (for kontakt and reaktor mostly, and some decent sample libraries and guitar rig), u-he's diva, and synthmaster. (Sub diva for serum or sylenth or hive if youre a dance artist, im more of a classic synth guy). I don't actually own symthmaster, but its a capable supersynth, and its fairly inexpensive. i own Omnisphere as my go to, but it costs almost 500 bucks and never goes on sale.

Except omnisphere, I've never paid full price for anything. Wait on black friday or other sales, or buy secondhand licenses over on kvraudio (for many vsts, you can transfer ownership)

ThisIsNotTheMusic

28 Apr 2017

ShawnG wrote:
ThisIsNotTheMusic wrote:So, a whole new world of opportunities has opened up in Reason. We can talk about VST's!

Well, on the positive end of the spectrum for Reason, there isn't a better REX loop player than dr octo, theres nothing quite like malstrom out there, and the pulveriser has a sound I havent been able to find elsewhere either. there are drum samplers/synths better than kong, but not by a whole lot really. In the re arena, theres selig's stuff, and a few others that raise the bar, but most are really esoteric, or a clone of an existing vst.

You will be able to get a better sampler in Kontakt (although youll lose the live sampling in reason's devices). reaktor is amazing, and a whole world unto itself, u-he's synths are amazing. Youll be able to work with the supersynths like omnisphere, or synthmaster. Aas's physical modeling synths are something you wont find in reason's rack either. reason has always lacked for a truly good drum library and there are several available with round robin hit capability, like BFD and superior Drummer, and addictive drummer. for the guitarist virtually all of the available options in vst land can outperform the softube amps, and even kuassa for the most part. The full Ozone is ridiculously deep for mastering (and mixing) And just the sheer volume of choice means that if you are looking for a sound, or a clone of some obscure old synth it probably already exists. You can of course, spend a whole ton of money. NI Komplete is a good buy to cover a lot of bases really well, but it costs more than reason does.

I've been buying VST's for a long time, and ive gotten to the point that I already own basically everything that I want, and that list is extremely long. But if I was just looking to plug "holes", i would get Komplete (for kontakt and reaktor mostly, and some decent sample libraries and guitar rig), u-he's diva, and synthmaster. (Sub diva for serum or sylenth or hive if youre a dance artist, im more of a classic synth guy). I don't actually own symthmaster, but its a capable supersynth, and its fairly inexpensive. i own Omnisphere as my go to, but it costs almost 500 bucks and never goes on sale.

Except omnisphere, I've never paid full price for anything. Wait on black friday or other sales, or buy secondhand licenses over on kvraudio (for many vsts, you can transfer ownership)
Thats solid advice, thanks man. I'll start investigating.How would you rate something like Expanse or Vk-2 against Reaktor? Is it that much better?
https://soundcloud.com/hissotheusic

In space, no one can hear your song ....

ShawnG

29 Apr 2017

I never used either RE, although I did use Vk-1. Reaktor is vast, really really vast, you could very easily use nothing else, other than a DAW, and never run out of capabilities. You can download thousands of user synths and effects, mess around with blocks (not as fun to wire up as reason racks tho). Make your own synths, programming down to the core level if that's your thing. Nothing even compares, other than maybe MAX for live.

decibel

29 Apr 2017

just used u-he satin in the beta :) i know a lot of people have wanted this for a long time

Catblack

29 Apr 2017

If you ain't hip to the rare Housequake, shut up already.

Damn.

The Tone Ranger

29 Apr 2017

I'm buying Korg Gadget for Mac today while it's on sale. Lots of good sounding easy to use instruments that would be great in the Reason rack.

I'll update Reaktor to version 6 because it's just going to be extremely useful for everything. This is why even those making utility RE's will need to up there game because we now have the power to make our own.

Slate digital VCC, VMR and VTM, Fabfilter Pro-C, Pro-Q, Pro-L has my mixing covered.

Valhalla reverbs are beautiful and the prices...

As I was a Reason + Pro Tools for mixing guy, there were some plugins I missed out on that looked really interesting such as those by Audio Damage.

16BitBear

29 Apr 2017

I write a lot of retro oriented music - 90's techno/house, synthwave, Front 242 era industrial - so this is great for me. I always wanted the full Korg classics in Reason. Now, I can have them. I love TAL Sampler, the Arturia V Collection, Roland Sound Cloud, Valhalla Vintage Verb, etc. I will also enjoy running Kontakt, Serum, and my slew of Izotope products as well.

These are now all available for me to use in Reason. I have kept and used Ableton, Studio One, and FL Studio just for VST usage and then used stems and convoluted cable routing and virtual MIDI to use Reason with these. Now I don't have to. I don't need to spend the money upgrading several DAW's anymore. i can finally make a shift completely to Reason, buy the occasional new VST, and continue to support the developers making RE's.

siln

30 Apr 2017

Marc64

30 Apr 2017

Padshop Pro and Microtoniq is on my To get list.

platzangst

30 Apr 2017

These are VSTs that I already own, that I will be excited to be able to use directly in Reason:

AAS Chromaphone (physical modeling synth)

Izotope Iris (graphic filter control sampler)
Izotope BreakTweaker (drum machine/pattern sequencer)
Izotope Trash (distortion up the wazoo)

I have other Izotope plugins, but either haven't been using them as much or don't have a clear idea yet how they'll fit into the workflow.

Accusonus Regroover
Reaktor 6, including a number of other NI instruments that need Reaktor to run
Xfer Serum

fceramic

30 Apr 2017

I already have loads of VST synths which I use in Bitwig, but I'll list my favorites that I really look forward to using in Reason.

Microtonic - Essential and extremely musical drum machine
Ohmicide - Multiband distortion and general sound shaper
Aalto - Emulates Buchla synths with a wonderful interface
PPG Wave 3 - Awesome emulation that also doubles as a lo-fi sampler
Permut8 - completely essential effect plugin
Blackhole - Shimmer style reverb with a really wonderful deep sound
Primaltap - amazing emulation of an old digital delay
Arcsyn - Really underestimates synth with a unique sound and awesome patch randomisation
bX Opto - my favorite compressor plugin - use it on everything.

snaa

30 Apr 2017

ozone 7, neutron & minimoogV is all Im really going to use on a regular basis to help enhance my sound.
everything else I can do with reason & RE's.

Jonathan10

30 Apr 2017

Vengeance phalanx. My fave sampler.
Perlmut 6. Fave effect
Neutron
Echoboy
Beat Slam by the indian guy who is great forget the company name but for anyone who hasnt tried beatslam. Its the dirtiest compressor tube slammer ever. Great on drum and synth alike.

As soon as i get my damn beta that is... Anyone else still waiting?
:refill:

chimp_spanner

30 Apr 2017

I think for me it's mostly sample based stuff; specifically drums (Superior 2, Abbey Road) and orchestral (Albion One). Synth wise I'm still very happy with REs. I mean I only just got VK2. Not planning on *not* using that haha.

JoshuaPhilgarlic

01 May 2017

I like everything wavetable-related, so I'll have a look at Waldorf Nave (hoping it offers the original PPG wavetables too!). I'm also a fan of the old Korg Wavestation, so I'll definitely get it ('cause it's available for just 49€). And I just bought Waves S1 in advance, 'cause it's on sale and I remember it beeing the best tool to get MOOOOORE stereo out of stereo ;) .

Kalm

01 May 2017

Seeing as I"m paying for Serum currently and I've always wanted a deep synth to cover a ton of stuff and be very personal, this will be mine. But since its in the reason rack, this is godly. I can't chain it and mix it with my process and effects from the RE like the Ladder Multi Mode, Pulveriser for some fast compression settings. . . I can produce in this DAW. Plus I finally got Iris when it went on sale but never really touched it since I would have to open another DAW but . . you know where I'm going with this.

If they improve Classic Drummer, I wont look at EZDrummer or Addictive. I'm not very fond of EZ right now but AD looks dope, but Classic Drummer is amazing, it just needs to go 2.0, like Subtractor, Combinator, Thor. . .
Courtesy of The Brew | Watch My Tutorials | Mac Mini Intel i7 Quad-Core | 16 GB RAM | Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB | Reason 11 Suite | Studio One 5 Professional | Presonus Quantum | Komplete Kontrol 49 MK2 | Event Opals | Follow me on Instagram

C4M

01 May 2017

A few years ago I was making backingtracks for a local vocalist, the Steinberg Virtual Guitarist VST plugin worked very well for me.
It would be a great improvement if that was easy to use within Reason. The (present) future can be so beautiful and interesting... ;)
More (contact) info on: http://www.coach4music.com Do well and don't look back!!! :reason: :refill: :rt:

ltbrunt00

01 May 2017

All of my Spitfire, Heavyocity and E-instrument VSTs will be first to be loaded up.

I will be testing swapping sounds in current projects using these tools.

Toontrack Superior Drummer will now become my main drum tool. Using that with Kong with be very interesting.
Reason, Nuendo, Studio One
https://soundcloud.com/user-404930848

ltbrunt00

01 May 2017

All of my Spitfire, Heavyocity and E-instrument VSTs will be first to be loaded up.

I will be testing swapping sounds in current projects using these tools.

Toontrack Superior Drummer will now become my main drum tool. Using that with Kong with be very interesting.
Reason, Nuendo, Studio One
https://soundcloud.com/user-404930848

SonicElements

02 May 2017

Serum and Omnisphere are the best instruments IMO.

FabFilter's ability to modulate various parameters and semi-modular feel should feel right at home for Reason users.
:reason: Sonic Elements - Refills
https://sonic-elements.com/product-category/refill/

• Information