I'm pretty all the vst-non supporters are secretly supporting the upcoming Reason 9.5 update lol

Discuss VST stuff here!
Oquasec

30 Apr 2017

personally I like how rack devices sound over most things, including serum.
But sylenth will be added natively since it looks like it belongs in the rack to begin with.
Last edited by Oquasec on 30 Apr 2017, edited 1 time in total.
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

joeyluck

30 Apr 2017

tumar wrote:
joeyluck wrote:
mreese80 wrote:Everybody loves vsts now. Funny how things change lol. Vsts win. Reason will now truly soar and be the #1 daw it always should've been. The doors have opened :)
I'm disliking them more and more and feeling really defeated right now.
My first experience with Kontakt (one of the main things I'm interested in) has been lousy. What a crappy installation.

Most VSTs have been installing so much crap all over my system in different places, and this one has been the worst. Crap EVERYWHERE. I just created a login to download an installer that installed another installer just to install a free factory bank. Then Kontakt proceeded to tell me my demo ran out within 60 seconds of playing some sounds. Then I fixed it by closing it and reopening it. Don't feel good about that. But it still says 'demo' for a Kontakt Player which is free and using the free factory bank. There is no way I can battle with this confusing installation at each location I visit.
It's simple. You have to register anything from NI (I mean anything, even free stuff) via Native Access or Service Center. If not, it works in demo mode.

https://support.native-instruments.com/ ... ve-Access-
I did all those things. And then my 'demo mode' of the free factory bank told me it ran out within a minute of using it.

I watched this video from Output (some of the libraries I'm interested in):
Is the installation and setup really this complicated every time? I mean when I have to keep a video handy to pause and resume to keep track of what I'm supposed to do (and not do), you know it's complicated...

ezelkow1

30 Apr 2017

not every time, just for that one specific one because not only is it a super complicated kontakt library its also ............ a kontakt lib. So not only do you have to get it installed where it needs to be, you also have to get it setup within kontakt itself and authorized through NI's utility

Normally a vst you just install to your vst location, I have one for 32bit and one for 64bit, and your done. Open daw, daw auto scans because it sees there was a change in your vst dir, and it adds it to your list. Thats it

Now for authorization its all dependant on that vst. U-he's you just put in your serial number once you open it the first time, others like izotope's you have to authorize with their servers, same goes for any using iloks. Others like valhalla and cableguys use license files that you just point the vst to on their first run. But thats all vst dependant since devs are free to use whatever protection method they want, or none. Also not really that complicated, you either putting in a serial number or pointing to a key file, thats usually about it

mreese80

30 Apr 2017

My Kontakt library will do wonders in reason. So will trillian. I finally can use my FabFilter Plugins in reason. The only RE i'll be buying now is The Legend. I wonder if bouncing vst's to audio will be flawless. I'm sure it will, just wondering. I wonder how the cpu will be as well. Either way, i'm hyped about this. Finally, i get what i've been wanting.
Reason 10.4 :refill: :re: :ignition: | :recycle: 2.2.4 | Ableton Live Suite 10.1| MPC Software 1.9.6 | Photoshop CC 2019 | Novation Impulse 49 | Nektar Impact LX 49

joeyluck

02 May 2017

-008' wrote:
joeyluck wrote:
Haha. No I do like the idea for some stuff. Some say it should have come earlier. Some think it should have come later. Others think it's just the right time. It was something that many of us thought would never happen because of the way Propellerhead spoke about it. So when people would create new threads about VST support, knowing how unlikely (it seemed) at the time it would be for it to happen, it honestly just seemed like trolling because we all knew how unlikely it was to happen... And here we are! :puf_smile:

I'm finding the more I try to use VSTs, the more appeal I feel there is for Rack Extensions. REs are simply a better fit in the rack and Reason workflow and much less hassle for installation. But I do acknowledge that some stuff may never become a RE. Some of it because of RE SDK capabilities and many others because of willingness on the part of each developer. I'm tending to explore more in the realm of VSTs that aren't possible as REs. I feel I can justify the sacrifice to workflow a little better in that regard. But I'm also much less interested in VSTs with complex interfaces because of the floating window scheme and access to the interface. I'm also running into many personal dislikes with installation and inconsistencies. But I'm finding a few VSTs that I think might work for me :D

I still like RE better. Case in point: Serum.

The entire internet is a Serum fanboy, and i have owned it since it was released. (actually BEFORE it was released, for a nice discount)

This thing hasnt been updated since it came out. It NEVER EVER retains its license auth. and i constantly have to set it up all over again. I had done it (again) very recently and then, loading it in the 9.5 beta.... it looks and "acts" authorized, there is no "popup missing licence prompt" to be seen. BUT it then starts doing random audio dropouts like its in demo mode or something! :evil:

An absolute mess of a GUI, CPU hog, and ultimately just not worth the pain in my neck. I do not care who uses it or what they think or say about it... if a plugin or DAW gives me grief and steals away any of my very limited time...they are absolutely dead to me. lol

There have been too many cases like this for me outside of the Reason world. That's how i ended up here! I'd rather have a combi with eXpanse and Thor and other (ROCK-SOLID, WORKS EVERY TIME) Rack Extensions.
Thanks for sharing. This is good to know as I continue exploring.

mreese80

06 May 2017

joeyluck wrote:
-008' wrote:
joeyluck wrote:
Haha. No I do like the idea for some stuff. Some say it should have come earlier. Some think it should have come later. Others think it's just the right time. It was something that many of us thought would never happen because of the way Propellerhead spoke about it. So when people would create new threads about VST support, knowing how unlikely (it seemed) at the time it would be for it to happen, it honestly just seemed like trolling because we all knew how unlikely it was to happen... And here we are! :puf_smile:

I'm finding the more I try to use VSTs, the more appeal I feel there is for Rack Extensions. REs are simply a better fit in the rack and Reason workflow and much less hassle for installation. But I do acknowledge that some stuff may never become a RE. Some of it because of RE SDK capabilities and many others because of willingness on the part of each developer. I'm tending to explore more in the realm of VSTs that aren't possible as REs. I feel I can justify the sacrifice to workflow a little better in that regard. But I'm also much less interested in VSTs with complex interfaces because of the floating window scheme and access to the interface. I'm also running into many personal dislikes with installation and inconsistencies. But I'm finding a few VSTs that I think might work for me :D

I still like RE better. Case in point: Serum.

The entire internet is a Serum fanboy, and i have owned it since it was released. (actually BEFORE it was released, for a nice discount)

This thing hasnt been updated since it came out. It NEVER EVER retains its license auth. and i constantly have to set it up all over again. I had done it (again) very recently and then, loading it in the 9.5 beta.... it looks and "acts" authorized, there is no "popup missing licence prompt" to be seen. BUT it then starts doing random audio dropouts like its in demo mode or something! :evil:

An absolute mess of a GUI, CPU hog, and ultimately just not worth the pain in my neck. I do not care who uses it or what they think or say about it... if a plugin or DAW gives me grief and steals away any of my very limited time...they are absolutely dead to me. lol

There have been too many cases like this for me outside of the Reason world. That's how i ended up here! I'd rather have a combi with eXpanse and Thor and other (ROCK-SOLID, WORKS EVERY TIME) Rack Extensions.
Thanks for sharing. This is good to know as I continue exploring.
I'm 100% for vsts. The vsts i want would never become a RE. The only RE i'm going to buy now is The Legend. If cpu is an issue i'll bounce to audio. Props finally came to their senses. They tried it there way. Now its time for the customers way. For those who aré so against vsts and hard them, dont scan them and dont use them in reason. Just stick to a limited and slow development of Re instrument. The doors have finally opened and it is kong over due.
Reason 10.4 :refill: :re: :ignition: | :recycle: 2.2.4 | Ableton Live Suite 10.1| MPC Software 1.9.6 | Photoshop CC 2019 | Novation Impulse 49 | Nektar Impact LX 49

spikey

06 May 2017

Hi all & 1st post here- I've been asking for VST support in Reason for at least a decade.

I have re-upped to the latest version now and cant wait for 9.5!

FINALLY!!!! :puf_bigsmile:

challism

06 May 2017

spikey wrote:Hi all & 1st post here- I've been asking for VST support in Reason for at least a decade.

I have re-upped to the latest version now and cant wait for 9.5!

FINALLY!!!! :puf_bigsmile:
Hi Spikey. Welcome to the forum. But I'm afraid you ARE going to have to WAIT a bit longer for VSTs. At least until May 29th. ;)

Until then....... :)
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

Kaosis

06 May 2017

Back before I made a final decision on my DAW I used to want and want VSTs in Reason, thinking I would be held back without them. Then I finally bit the bullet and got Reason and never had the desire for most VSTs, only a handful (sylenth, battery and/or maschine and serum to be exact). I much prefer the way REs are handled and I don't like having install files spread all over the internet. With all that said I will be putting some VSTs to use, but for the most part I plan on sticking with REs and even then I don't have a massive investment in a bazillion REs. I like trying to keep things simple.

and I agree with a previous poster, Sylenth looks like it should be native to the rack. Would be awesome if Props got with Lennard on that one. R10 maybe haha :lol:

hardwire666

06 May 2017

Any Toontrack drum thing, and all the Free VST guitar amps and IR software that's out there. FINALLY NO MORE ReWire!

Oquasec

06 May 2017

Reason's ecosystem is why I stick to it.
Sync all, tidy little areas that are easily organized and recalled upon with a sleek ui that makes perfect sense and can be as deep as you want it to be, because it imitates modular environments and hardware at the same time.

For vsts you can use synctoy btw. but I prefer how props keeps their stuff like that for when you feel like making a dualboot linux/win10 setup and wanna get things done quickly.
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

mguh22

07 May 2017

I disagree, I think having third party support like this makes Reason into an also-ran and takes it further away from being a unique sounding platform. It's almost an admission of defeat on Propellerhead's part that they won't compete with VST with their own Rack Extensions or first party rack devices built into Reason.
Last edited by mguh22 on 08 May 2017, edited 1 time in total.

OldSchoolSkunk

07 May 2017

I was never against it. I am one of those (and there probably a good few like me) came in on Reason 6 in early march of 2012 and didn't see RE's coming a month or so after that but loved the idea of different instruments and devices besides stock devices... (believe it or not i didn't like thor at all) I've bought many RE's since then there are a few i'm still eyeing regardless of this addition to Reason (Legend,Expanse) I guess i'm gonna be like Joeyluck .. there are a few VSTs that i've know about that are the popular ones i.e Kontakt and some Izotope plugins. For me this will be like Reason 6 again only this time... there is the idea of what out there where do i go look now for these things. So i'll be new to Vsts for the reason that I really never thought about using them since the advent of RE's in Reason.

I guess once i get used to using them because all the procedures with installing them and maintaining these outside of Reason. So i'm not investing in any VSTs yes.. (still waiting on my acceptance but they'll do it 2 days or so before 5/29 haha i didn't know i was in the Reason 9 beta till it offically released and i saw the beta license on my account when i went to buy the upgrade ;) I'll be curious to hear newcomers to Reason from other daws.. asking stuff like why other daws don't impelement CV on VST's ;) also.. I'm waiting to see what the sticker shock crowd now has to say about VST's compared to RE's cause alot of the good ones are not cheap... and by that get used to not seeing anything for under a 100 buck unless its on sale... Exhale is a 200 buck Vst just for example since its in the video. and Kontakt.. well. ;)

• Information